NiftyGridZPro WordPress Plugin released - must try the free version! 3 pages: [1] 2 3
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 11:19:54 AM
I'm happy to announce the release of the replacement to NiftyGridZ and here it is, the new NiftyGridZPro WordPress Zazzle plugin!



NiftyGridZPro removes a huge limitation - now you can have pageable / searchable grids anywhere in WordPress. Yes, that's in widgets and posts too now, in addition to using them on pages as you could with the old NiftyGridZ.

If you or someone you know has a self-hosted WordPress site here's the link you need to the free one: http://niftytoolz.com/the-niftygridz-wordpress-plugin/get-your-niftygridz-free-wordpress-plugin

The free one uses my rf id and is a great way to have a play. If you like it and buy one of the licenses, not only will your new grids use your rf id, so will all the old ones you made while you were playing with the free one. Pretty cool!

What feature(s) would you like to see added?

Examples of what you can do with the NiftyGridZPro WordPress Zazzle plugin

Here's a full blown store featuring Superheroes
A Steampunk role-play character name generator for profile cards
A blog post using all the options
A monogram collections store aimed at the girl about town. You get to try out your initials.

Get your free NiftyGridzPro plugin here and try it out for yourself!

Edit: Unfortunately widgets can't use interactive grids because they don't have an id like posts and pages do.

I've created a 3min Youtube vid showing how easy it is to insert a porduct grid into a blog post. You can see it here: https://youtu.be/yqMVOOGgY3E
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 8:45:39 AM
Lots of work on the advanced aspects this week. Various mnor bugs have been set free (I don't agree with squishing them anymore!) including a styling issue on Safari.

Now to ask a favor: can anyone confirm the page below works in
o Microsoft Edge
o Opera
o Android

I've tried various online emulators and all report ok but nothing beats a real check with a real browser!

http://niftytoolz.com/collections-girl-about-town

It would be really cool if you could make sure the change monogram feature is working, too.

Thanks in advance! Roses
Posted: Saturday, August 05, 2017 2:01:35 AM
NiftyGridZPro has a feature to ensure that you always have a grid displayed, even if Zazzle’s feed mechanism goes down. A number of such fallback grids are included with your installation.
If you want to make your own, Nifty Promo Control Panel has an option that lets you so that you have full flexibility on what’s displayed. It's all covered in the NiftyGridZPro FAQ.
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2017 8:25:58 AM
HightonRidley wrote:
NiftyGridZPro has a feature to ensure that you always have a grid displayed, even if Zazzle’s feed mechanism goes down. A number of such fallback grids are included with your installation.
If you want to make your own, Nifty Promo Control Panel has an option that lets you so that you have full flexibility on what’s displayed. It's all covered in the NiftyGridZPro FAQ.

I've made a YouTube vid - 6 mins - showing how to make, upload and test the fallback grids. Also works when collections are down as they are presently.
It's here: https://youtu.be/eaZezSYE8cE
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2017 2:01:37 PM
I have been using NiftyGridZPro and I want to share my experience with you:

NiftyGridZPro is a fabulous new tool for promoting Zazzle products. Mark Highton Ridley created an extremely flexible way to showcase Zazzle items in a grid. Right off - there is a free version and a paid version. This is wonderful because you can either just use the free version or test it out to see whether the paid version is right for you.

This is for WordPress sites. NiftyGridZPro is a plugin that is very easy to install into your WP blog. Mark shares detailed information, in a very simple format, to teach you how to install and activate this (and other) WP plugins.

Then the fun begins!! One wonderful feature is there is a way to create grids of products in case Zazzle’s feed goes down. Any of us who have relied on Zazzle rss feed know there are times - sometimes for long periods of time - that it just plain disappears. This has a solution to that problem!

It is so exciting to me that I am able to create fall back grids for when Zazzle rss is down. It was very simple to create another grid, put it into the correct folder, specify the file, and then I know there will always be a grid for the posts that I create!! (You do need access to either your control panel or FTP to use this feature. But there are already default ones in there so you are covered no matter what. No more dreaded blank posts.)

The grid plugin allows you to make lots of choices. You may choose items from a certain shop, from a collection or from the marketplace itself. Of course, you choose which type of product goes into the grid. If none are specified, then any items from the shop, collection or MP go into the grid.

Of course, you specify your own affiliate code. There are tracking codes both for the primary grids and the back up grids so you know where the sales are coming from. NiftyGridZPro is very remarkable because it is easy to change the background colors of the items, the grid color and several other style choices. It is very simple to include - or not - price, shop from where the product comes, descriptions, tags.

It is also possible to have a search button on your product grid. This visitor interaction is very unusual and another great aspect of NiftyGridZPro. This only searches where your grid is set to pull from, so if you are pulling from your shop, you won't lose your customers! (Due to a Zazzle limitation, when pulling from collections, the search pulls from the Market Place. All this is covered in the comprehensive FAQ.)

Order of the items, size of the grid cells and promo codes are all easy to add. Though personally, I find the default settings very well thought out and useful. It is easy to get the html code to put into a file, either for backup grids or to use on a page. Mark details some of the best ways to work with backup files. He has very clear, simple explanations for each step of the way.

This is one grid page I created https://www.dianeclancy.com/products/delightful-bubblescape-mugs-from-zazzle. These mugs are Bubblescapes. Whereas this grid page https://www.dianeclancy.com/shops/colorful-joyful-patterns-mugs features mugs with some of my patterns. So the only real change between these 2 pages is the store I pulled the mugs from. Yet you can see the grid carries very different images on the mugs.

And of course, the grids are responsive so they are perfect for mobile too! And there is an advanced feature you can use for incorporating into pages, but that is just one more extra!

I suggest you get some grids with the NiftyGridZPro going and see how easy it is!! Mark provides help via email or the Zazzle forum and he replies very quickly! I personally am delighted that I chose to get NiftyGridZPro to help with my Zazzle promotions. It has helped get me back in gear!
Love
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 11:24:43 AM
Congratulations! This looks very promising indeed for those of us who are looking to replace our old zstore grids. Do you have any solution to batch replace the old grid codes with the ones in your product?
I will give it a spin sometime soon.
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 12:42:24 PM
Diane Clancy wrote:
I have been using NiftyGridZPro and I want to share my experience with you:
:
:

Thank you so much, Diane Roses
I'm so glad you've been getting on so well with it! I had a look at what you've acheived and you've taken it so much further than the little help I gave you initially Smile
You've obviously been enjoying what it can do for you and it looks like you've been having fun since I stopped the hand-holding!
Well done
Smile

Antique Images wrote:
Congratulations! This looks very promising indeed for those of us who are looking to replace our old zstore grids. Do you have any solution to batch replace the old grid codes with the ones in your product?
I will give it a spin sometime soon.

Thanks for saying so, Antique Images
Smile
As for your question, I've never used zstore so can't answer right away. Perhaps you'd like to email me on highton.ridley @ g mail . com so I can ask some questions and see if there's a way?
Cheers,
Mark (HightonRidley)
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 12:43:38 PM
Here's a 1min YouTube video showing how easy it is to make a product grid from a store category:
https://youtu.be/6q191VEPc_g
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 3:11:18 AM
Nicely Done Plugin, Mark! I've purchased the pro version with a three year license and started using it on some of the newer pages on my site. You can see two examples here:

Camellia Business Cards/
and Raccoon Lover Gifts

A couple of questions for you, and one general helpful tip for you and others.

1. What happens to our referrals on pages that have already been created if your license expires, or if you stop making or updating the plugin. Will the pages we already created under license retain our own referral tags or somehow no longer be functional or change to yours? I don't see technically how they would change, but I wanted to double check. I'm assuming that we would just not be able to create new pages with our own referral if we don't have a license, but that existing pages stay as is. Is that correct?

2. Will you be eventually providing any integrated styling tools. For example, I would like the font size on the page navigation to be just slightly smaller. I guess I could go into the CSS and change it ... (Where is that font size located)

3. A tip that might be helpful. I am using the Wordpress AddQuickTag plugin to copy my most commonly used set ups (I build them on your page, but then turn them into buttons using quick tag so that the next time I can just insert them from any post. You can see what that looks like in my post interface in THIS IMAGE. I've set this up so that the buttons that say STORE SEARCH LARGE and COLLECTION SEARCH SM will insert the full product grid code already styled right into my post. I moved the parts I am likely to change to the front of the code, so that search terms, store names etc are not in the middle of the code, but right at the front.
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 5:02:45 AM
Antique Images wrote:
Nicely Done Plugin, Mark! I've purchased the pro version with a three year license and started using it on some of the newer pages on my site. You can see two examples here:

Camellia Business Cards/
and Raccoon Lover Gifts

Thank you! I like what you've done with the grids on those sites.
Antique Images wrote:


A couple of questions for you, and one general helpful tip for you and others.

1. What happens to our referrals on pages that have already been created if your license expires, or if you stop making or updating the plugin. Will the pages we already created under license retain our own referral tags or somehow no longer be functional or change to yours? I don't see technically how they would change, but I wanted to double check. I'm assuming that we would just not be able to create new pages with our own referral if we don't have a license, but that existing pages stay as is. Is that correct?

Thanks for pointing out that oversight. I answered it in this blog post: http://razamazazzle.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/new-wordpress-plugin-from-niftytoolz_21.html and originally had it in the FAQ on the NiftyToolZ site. Somehow it got lost in moving from a FAQ plugin to an ordinary wp page for the FAQ. I'll repeat what's in the blog post here:
Quote:
This is cool...
There's a couple of cool benefits to the way the licenses work.
o If you start on a free one and decide to go for a paid license, all links in previous posts will stop using my referral id and start using yours right away!
o If you don't want to renew your paid-for license, that's ok. Everything will still work but links will revert to using my referral id.
o If you let your license expire and then decide later to pay for another license period, once more all links in pre-exisiting posts will go back to your referral id.

I've designed it this way so you're never locked in to anything and are free to pay or not pay as your circumstances dictate.


I've added that to the page where you buy a license, here: http://niftytoolz.com/the-niftygridz-wordpress-plugin/niftygridz-premium-wordpress-plugin and I'll add it to the FAQ next.

Antique Images wrote:

2. Will you be eventually providing any integrated styling tools. For example, I would like the font size on the page navigation to be just slightly smaller. I guess I could go into the CSS and change it ... (Where is that font size located)

I don't have those WP skills yet Crying
I set the font size to 150% for the page navigation, in the next update, I'll add a shortcode styling option for it as there is for various other items.
Antique Images wrote:
3. A tip that might be helpful. I am using the Wordpress AddQuickTag plugin to copy my most commonly used set ups (I build them on your page, but then turn them into buttons using quick tag so that the next time I can just insert them from any post. You can see what that looks like in my post interface in THIS IMAGE. I've set this up so that the buttons that say STORE SEARCH LARGE and COLLECTION SEARCH SM will insert the full product grid code already styled right into my post. I moved the parts I am likely to change to the front of the code, so that search terms, store names etc are not in the middle of the code, but right at the front.

I like the sound of that - I'll investigate further and add that as a tip somewhere Smile
Thankyou for all that useful feedback. I'm really grateful Roses
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 8:32:35 AM
Thanks for this response. I have to say that I am truly a bit distresssed and disappointed by this answer which I think is a serious disincentive to use your plugin further on my site or recommend it.

Quote:

If you don't want to renew your paid-for license, that's ok. Everything will still work but links will revert to using my referral id.


The plugin works very well. It is not that I have an issue with continuing to pay, but am hesitant to build out my site based on something over which I don't have full control and where existing posts will revert to your referral id if a renewal is not paid for.

I am not adverse to continuing to pay. I very much believe in paying people who create great products. The reason I feel reluctant about this is the following:

We've had several plugins now built by individuals who either became ill and stopped updating them, or the developers even perhaps passed away. I don't want to be morbid, but there are many reasons why you may choose not to update or may not be able to continue to update your plugin, and then a lot of people will be left with a mess to fix on their websites.

This also raises another question. Does this plugin function entirely based on what has been installed, or is it somehow being driven by your server. Can you also explain how it is that existing links will be remotely changed if the licence expires? I can see my referral in the code on my page. How is it that you are able to change that afterwards? I would be much more comfortable with something that lives fully on mine and where I'm not dependent, even if I have to pay more for it.

I believe links built while the software was under license should maintain the site owners referral. If the license expires, any new links created would be yours. That would be a more correct system.

Updated to add: Or give us an option for a lifetime purchase where we don't have to worry about any of this.

Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 9:34:01 AM
Antique Images wrote:
Thanks for this response. I have to say that I am truly a bit distresssed and disappointed by this answer which I think is a serious disincentive to use your plugin further on my site or recommend it.

Quote:

If you don't want to renew your paid-for license, that's ok. Everything will still work but links will revert to using my referral id.


I have no issue with continuing to pay, but am hesitant to build out my site based on something over which I don't have full control and where existing posts will revert to your referral id if a renewal is not paid for.

I am not adverse to continuing to pay. I very much believe in paying people who create great products. The reason I feel reluctant about this is the following:

We've had several plugins now built by individuals who either became ill and stopped updating them, or the developers even perhaps passed away. I don't want to be morbid, but there are many reasons why you may choose not to update or may not be able to continue to update your plugin, and then a lot of people will be left with a mess to fix on their websites.

This also raises another question. Does this plugin function entirely based on what has been installed, or is it somehow being driven by your server. Can you also explain how it is that existing links will be remotely changed if the licence expires? I can see my referral in the code on my page. How is it that you are able to change that afterwards? I would be much more comfortable with something that lives fully on mine and where I'm not dependent, even if I have to pay more for it.

I believe links built while the software was under license should maintain the site owners referral. If the license expires, any new links created would be yours. That would be a more correct system.


Hmmm.. I thought that was the fairest way. First let me address your major concern. Yes, everything lives on your server; the coding checks if the license expiry date has been exceeded and, if it has, starts to use my ref id.

Because everything is pulled "live" (except for the fallback grids) I couldn't see a way to treat historical links differently, so I thought I'd make a feature of it.

One doesn't normally consider one's own demise, but that's a valid point I need to take on board. Rest assured, whatever is the right way to take this forward it'll be one that everyone's happy with.

Reading other plugin authors' stories, there can be an issue with licensed plugins being passed around. So there needs to be an equitable way forward for both license holder and author. Judging by your reaction, the one I've chosen isn't!

I did research it, and the standard way is to use a license server but feedback I've seen about that approach is that it can add to page load times, not something liked by plugin purchasers.

Unless I pop my clogs in the next little while, I've got the opportunity to address this before it becomes an issue for anyone.

Originally I was making a special version for each purchaser but that was so time consuming I needed to come up with a different way.

Back to the drawing board!

It's an interative process - so thanks once again for your feedback Smile

Edited to add: Other purchasers have been ok with the current approach.
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 10:20:06 AM
I'm not really trying to anticipate your demise, but the reality is that all kinds of things can happen with a one person operation. You might just loose interest...

Please do give it some more thought. I'm willing to pay more if there is a way to have it made permanent.

The reason I was moving to this was because of precisely the issue with the past solutions.

But at least with my pro-version of ZStore Helper (I think that's what it is called) bought years ago, even though the person who made it disappeared (I honestly don't know what happened to him) all of my links are still my own referral links*, even though there is no possiblity to ugrade or pay for an update.

Perhaps the others haven't been on wordpress as long as I have.

So now I feel like sadly I should just keep using those, even though yours is nicer.

*At least they are as far as I know. When I hover over them, they show my referral, but if they are somehow being intercepted and changed by a license server (a new concept to me) I don't know.

But as it is I'm really upset. I really like your plugin. But I'm very hesitant now to use it.

Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 10:30:30 AM
Antique Images wrote:
I'm not really trying to anticipate your demise, but the reality is that all kinds of things can happen with a one person operation. You might just loose interest...

Please do give it some more thought. I'm willing to pay more if there is a way to have it made permanent.

The reason I was moving to this was because of precisely the issue with the past solutions.

But at least with my pro-version of ZStore Helper (I think that's what it is called) bought years ago, even though the person who made it disappeared (I honestly don't know what happened to him) all of my links are still my own referral links*, even though there is no possiblity to ugrade or pay for an update.

Perhaps the others haven't been on wordpress as long as I have.

So now I feel like sadly I should just keep using those, even though yours is nicer.

*At least they are as far as I know. When I hover over them, they show my referral, but if they are somehow being intercepted and changed by a license server (a new concept to me) I don't know.

But as it is I'm really upset. I really like your plugin. But I'm very hesitant now to use it.


As I said, I'll come up with a solution to this - watch this space Smile
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 11:04:11 AM
Really appreciate your effort to try to find a solution. Thanks you very much. Hope you can figure something out that protects your intellectual property, but also works in hte long run for all of us.
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2017 1:31:34 PM
Antique Images wrote:
Really appreciate your effort to try to find a solution. Thanks you very much. Hope you can figure something out that protects your intellectual property, but also works in hte long run for all of us.

I'm nearly there... I'm just testing things now.

Here's a post using your rf id with a NiftyGridZPro set to expire tomorrow (22nd Aug) at mid-day GMT: http://niftytoolz.com/nursing-profession-stationery
Assuming this final test works(!) then when I make a post after that time using your rf id, it will instead use mine because the license will have expired. However the nusrsing stationery post will still be using yours - just like you said would be acceptable.
So continue to watch this space.

Again, assuming all goes well, I'll send you 2 more plugin zips. One will have an expiry date set to this coming Saturday (again mid-day GMT) so you can test that it works as you expect - using your rf id before the expiry and mine after.
The other will have an expiry date as per your existing plugin.

Does that plan work for you?


Once the weekend is over and I've heard back from you, I'll set the rf id in my nursing collection post back to mine.
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2017 8:26:35 PM
Mark, I don't understand your last post at all. (As you know, I can be a little dense sometimes.)

But, this issue is the reason I hesitate. If I were to stop using my current product and switch to yours, my previous pages and posts would still stand as is. But, if sometime in the future it was no longer my best option to continue using yours, I would have to redo every page and post I made with it. That's not worth it. At the point I put code on my site I want to know that code isn't going to change at some future time. I don't even understand how code I put on my site CAN change by itself once I've put it there. It seems to me that work done while using a tool I paid for should still continue as is in the future rather than have to delete and redo a couple of years worth of work if I find different way to create works better for me at some later date.
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 12:25:56 AM
UROCKDezineZone wrote:
Mark, I don't understand your last post at all. (As you know, I can be a little dense sometimes.)

But, this issue is the reason I hesitate. If I were to stop using my current product and switch to yours, my previous pages and posts would still stand as is. But, if sometime in the future it was no longer my best option to continue using yours, I would have to redo every page and post I made with it. That's not worth it. At the point I put code on my site I want to know that code isn't going to change at some future time. I don't even understand how code I put on my site CAN change by itself once I've put it there. It seems to me that work done while using a tool I paid for should still continue as is in the future rather than have to delete and redo a couple of years worth of work if I find different way to create works better for me at some later date.

That's exactly what I've been addressing.

The change I've made will mean that everything you've done up to license expiry will be as it always was.
Only posts made after that date will use my referral id. Existing posts will continue to use yours.

Remember, to solve the broken links problem, it has to pull "live" from Zazzle.
That way, if products get deleted / hidden they won't appear on your site.


In code it's possible to do (and my code does) the equivalent of:
Code:

WHEN license has expired
IF post date is earlier than expiry date
o THEN use Purchaser's rf id
o ELSE use Mark's rf id

Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 4:12:09 AM
Here's the new post made with the now-expired license: http://niftytoolz.com/office-product-designs-for-a-counselor
Remember, as I said above, this was made with your (AntiqueImages' rf id)

You'll see that it uses my rf id (because the license has expired).

You'll also see that the original post I made before the license expired still uses your rf id. Check it here: http://niftytoolz.com/nursing-profession-stationery
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 1:41:18 PM
I've updated the NiftyToolZ website in line with the above feedback from AntiqueImages.

Read the post describing the changes here: http://niftytoolz.com/expired-licenses-old-posts-now-keep-your-rf-id
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 9:23:09 AM
Mark, this is truly amazing. Thank you! I can't wait to add more pages to my site using the plugin now that my primary concern is resolved.

UROCK, my concern was the same as yours. I didn't want to use the plugin if somehow the referrals were going to change on posts already created down the line.

I'll share some more pages using NiftyToolZ this weekend.
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 4:46:59 PM
Antique Images wrote:
Mark, this is truly amazing. Thank you! I can't wait to add more pages to my site using the plugin now that my primary concern is resolved.

UROCK, my concern was the same as yours. I didn't want to use the plugin if somehow the referrals were going to change on posts already created down the line.

I'll share some more pages using NiftyToolZ this weekend.


Well, I've worked pretty much non-stop to remove the dependence on YQL and have now managed it. I've sent out the updated plugin licenses to all purchasers.

My site uses the free no-yql version and if you take a look, you'll see that all grids are working smoothly. Here's some you can check out for yourself:
http://niftytoolz.com/nursing-profession-stationery
http://niftytoolz.com/collections-girl-about-town
http://niftytoolz.com/office-product-designs-for-a-counselor

I haven't yet used the new, non-YQL approach with the shortcode builder, so it may still suffer from Yahoo's intermittent service.

Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2017 12:51:09 AM
I spoke too soon... still some debugging to do.
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2017 4:52:36 PM
It's now all working - with lots of help in testing from AntiqueImages Roses

Only one thing I've not been able to get working and that's the special sorting - shortcode option: grid_sort_method

It's a biggy to correct, so that's next, followed by the shortcode builder - or maybe the other way around...

Whew!
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2017 4:57:55 PM
Grid sort method now works. Yaay!
All customers sent the updated licensed plugin version they purchased.
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 8:47:18 AM
I'm now working on features for the next version release (no planned date yet)

I've implemented and tested one of them. You can see the results here: http://niftytoolz.com/niftygridzpro-new-feature-in-next-version

The new optional feature helps with making for a simple, clean display. It removes each product's title entirely, replacing it with just the product type names that Zazzle adds to titles.

It works 100% of the time for Zazzle-added product type names. Where a deisgner has added a product type name themself somewhere in the title AND Zazzle spotted it and so didn't add one themselves, then it will use the last two words of the deigner's own title.

So of the 1% of the time it initially doesn't work, most of the rest are caught by the second approach.

It's no good when all your showing in your grid are, say, business cards, but when you have a good mix of products, it works well.
I'm quite impressed how clean it does look Smile
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 4:31:37 AM
I've added another feature to the next release, Slot Messages.
A "slot" is a randomly chosen grid slot and the "message" is an image, optionally linked to anywhere you choose.

Here's a blog post created with it. I included a call to action text on the image and linked it (with mt rf id and tracking code) to Zazzle's coupon page.

See it here: http://niftytoolz.com/new-slot-message-feature-for-next-release-of-niftygridzpro

It doesn't have to be a link into Zazzle, it could be a landing page for your "current offer". When it's time for the next offer, you change the landing page accordingly and just update the image in line with it.

All pages using this feature will automatically use the updated image. It will still link to the same landing page but you'll have changed its contents to tell visitors about the new offer.

You don't have to link to anything if you don't want to.


There's two great ways of using this:

1) Have as many different marketing images and optional links as you want, one for each post / page needing one.
Consider these as being cast in stone once you've used the same one in more than one post.
2) Have one "global" one and include on a few popular posts / pages - all linking to the same landing page

For 1) If ever you change, say, your logo, you just go and edit all the image files, and re-upload them to wherever they are held on line.
All posts that use them will display the now-changed versions.

For 2) When you have some form of promo, edit the image to give the teaser and change the associated landing page to give full details, get them to sign them up for a newsletter, etc.
All posts / pages using that "slot message" in their shortcode will now display the teaser linked to the updated details of your promo.
Of course, for this to be fully effective, you need to have already been including the "gobal" slot message in some of your posts. That way, there's a good chance a visitor will see it as they move around your site.

Quite how you use the new feature is down to your creativity and your own circumstances
Smile
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 4:21:36 PM
So I've been putting more thought into how to adjust the Slot Message feature to get over its single biggest hurdle - reach.

What do I mean by that?
Well, I'd like to be able to see the exact same marketing message (linked as appropriate) appear in any product grid already created with NiftyGridZPro - not just new ones I add that take advantage of this new feature.

You normally include things like a Happy Halloween / Holidays / Valentines / Easter etc message in your site's header or sidebar, to make sure it's seen whatever page of your site a visitor ends up on.

Idea So I'm talking about a similar situation with product grids: I want to make a change in one place, and one place only, yet have it show up for all product grids.

Well, I've managed it! See it on any post / page on my site which doesn't already use the new feature. That's any post before Monday of this week.
When looking at any of those posts, watch out for the Happy Halloween animated gif in its product grid. Check out here for starters: http://niftytoolz.com/2017/08 (scroll past the first couple of non-grid posts)

Now that's really cool - I can make the same marketing message linked to the same destination appear across my entire site. That's cool and so easy to change when a different marketing message needs to be got out.

Btw, I really Love love the ability to use gifs for the marketing message image - so flexible! You can make your own - I've a youtube vid here that shows you how. It was originally about making them for pinning on Pinterest but the gif file it shows you how to make can be used for other purposes, like for this!

You can also search out ones you can use on giphy.com (just get the link with the button they provide and use that for your image url).

NiftyGridZPro just keeps getting better!


The way I made it appear globally like that was to set up a default slot message (image url, link, alt text) and set it on by default. Setting it on by default means that it'll always be shown unless a shortcode option sets it to off in any particular post (or uses its own slot message)

Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 8:42:23 AM
Another enhancement for the next release - an admin settings page:

This is for global defaults - those that apply to every grid that doesn't override them with options set in their shortcode.

It neatly provides a method for easily controlling your global slot message.

In addition, you can now set your associate/referral id here. Once set here, you no longer need to put yours into each post's shortcode. Though saying that, the shortcode builder still needs it, though I might take it out of the generated shortcode now.

Read more about slot messages and see them in action:
http://niftytoolz.com/global-slot-message
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2017 4:49:32 AM
I've just made the new version features available in the free NiftyGridZPro WordPress plugin. Try it out for yourself - detailed installation instructions and where to get it, here: http://niftytoolz.com/the-niftygridz-wordpress-plugin/get-your-niftygridz-free-wordpress-plugin

I adore the global slot messaging and I'm sure you will, too! You can use it for loads of things - here's a few examples:
o Make announcements about instant sales when you hear from Zazzle about them
o Reduce the royalty on a product range for a month and announce it everywhere
o Encourage newsletter sign-ups
o Boost visits to a specific product you think will do well
o Promotion countdowns
make announcement teasers for a wee while, then make the announcement
o A slot message doesn’t have to link to Zazzle – you can link to anywhere you like
o Feature a particular designer or brand store

Cool, hey?
Smile

Learn more and see a slot message in action, here: http://niftytoolz.com/new-slot-message-feature-for-next-release-of-niftygridzpro
Visit any post with a product grid (and there are lots) and you'll see the global slot message in effect

Global slot messaging is so easy and happens in real time. As a matter of fact, it's so easy you won't mind frequently changing it, if that's what's needed for the way you plan to use it.

Oh, and slot messages can use animated gif images as well as png and jpg, so you're creatively free to show exactly what you want!
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.
Print this topic
RSS Feed
Normal
Threaded