Nifty Promo Control Panel - built for me, free to you 15 pages: First ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... Last
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2017 10:59:54 AM
Shellibean_on_zazzle wrote:

Don't mean to butt in but I also have a relevant question...
I am using the live grids and was just reading about the rss feeds being down sometimes, I know that if that happens I can always do a temporary fix by replacing the code with a static until the issue is fixed, but here is my question how will I know if the live feed is not working? Can I find out here in the forums which I usually read early in the morning central time zone and also afternoon, or do I need to check my site more than once every day which I already do once a day anyway? How often do the live feeds have issues?

It's infrequent enough to not bother me, Shellibean. I have so many places "out there" that to try and do anything different would be a nightmare.
In a more sophisticated (so likely more awkward for you guys) world, you could have a fallback for rss feed failure to a static display.

You'd do something like:
1) Have a div with your normal widget and give the div an id so you can get at it in javascript.
2) Have another div right underneath it with a style of display:none. Also with a (different) id.
3) If the feed pull returns an error, set the style of the first div to display:none and the second to have an empty style.

For me to cater for that option in the generated code would be overly complicated and confusing for the bulk of peeps. Maybe one day, if I eventually get enough donations (no I'm not touting for them, it's a purely personal decision for each Zazzler).

I'm glad you and Carolyn raised the point, though, as I'm sure others have thought about it as well.

Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2017 12:22:53 PM
HightonRidley wrote:

Don't mean to butt in but I also have a relevant question...
I am using the live grids and was just reading about the rss feeds being down sometimes, I know that if that happens I can always do a temporary fix by replacing the code with a static until the issue is fixed, but here is my question how will I know if the live feed is not working? Can I find out here in the forums which I usually read early in the morning central time zone and also afternoon, or do I need to check my site more than once every day which I already do once a day anyway? How often do the live feeds have issues?

It's infrequent enough to not bother me, Shellibean. I have so many places "out there" that to try and do anything different would be a nightmare.
In a more sophisticated (so likely more awkward for you guys) world, you could have a fallback for rss feed failure to a static display.

You'd do something like:
1) Have a div with your normal widget and give the div an id so you can get at it in javascript.
2) Have another div right underneath it with a style of display:none. Also with a (different) id.
3) If the feed pull returns an error, set the style of the first div to display:none and the second to have an empty style.

For me to cater for that option in the generated code would be overly complicated and confusing for the bulk of peeps. Maybe one day, if I eventually get enough donations (no I'm not touting for them, it's a purely personal decision for each Zazzler).

I'm glad you and Carolyn raised the point, though, as I'm sure others have thought about it as well.

Ok thanks Mark, If it ever gets to be a nuisance I might be brave enough to try the code tweak, but if it is not very often I can deal with it. I have a lot of sites but this one is the only one that is strictly nifty grids and I am really focusing on driving traffic to this site right now since it is brand new and that is the only reason I would even worry about it because if the rss feeds go down I will have a basically empty website, but to go in and change it would not be that hard to hide it for 30 minutes while I changed the grids to static if it didn't happen on a weekly basis or more often. I will play it by ear, and I have copied and pasted your code instructions in case I ever feel the need to go that way.

I didn't think you were touting and I have plans to send a bit from time to time like I hope you got a bit this week... ;) wasn't much but when referrals pick up my bits will too!
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2017 12:43:21 PM
HightonRidley wrote:
colorfulgalshop wrote:
Hi Mark,
I've been working on a wordpress site and want to use your AMAZING nifty tool to bring in product images/titles. I've been successful experimenting with the tool thanks to your great instructions and have created zazzle collections with very specific products and will then transfer the products/code over to my website.
A few questions - (these probably sound silly to those who know what they're doing but I'm a total newbie)
- Do the product images actually reside on my website?
- Will bringing in 200 products/descriptions per category vs. 25, slow my site down? Do the images have to be optimized?
- When a product on Zazzle is out of stock or gets deleted will there be a "hole" on my website?
I'm just trying to think ahead to the problems I might run into before I get too far into this process.
Thank you so much for your help and providing such a great tool!
- Carolyn

Great questions, Carolyn, - it's always good to plan ahead Smile

Do the product images actually reside on my website?
1) The images never reside on your website - they're always held on Zazzle.

Will bringing in 200 products/descriptions per category vs. 25, slow my site down? Do the images have to be optimized?
2) In short, not hugely. You should get an indication of the difference on the Nifty Promo Control Panel. Set the page size (under more options) to 25 and then the max (which is imposed by Z's rss feed mechanism) of 120. See the difference. (No need to optimize - not sure how you would as they're served by Z.)

When a product on Zazzle is out of stock or gets deleted will there be a "hole" on my website?
3) It depends. Under "Get code for embedding in other sites" The Product Grid widget has a "live" option and the Slideshow widget is always live. By this I mean that the products are pulled from Z afresh each time the page is visited - so no hole for them.
The other widgets are "static", meaning the products are pulled when you build the widget and the built widget continues to use the same products in the future.
If you use the live option, you'll never have a 'hole' because Z only provides available products in a freshly pulled feed.
The downside of "live" is, if Z's rss feed mechanism is down for some reason, which does happen occasionally, then you'll get no products returned.

I hope that's all clear - shout if you have more questions.

Thanks for the response Mark!! I now understand the difference between the static vs. live feed. A few more questions/thoughts:
- I'll be using static grids - so if a product is out of stock or deleted from Zazzle, what will it look like on my website? Does the product disappear from my website - will there be a "hole"? Do the columns change? - - If so, do I have to make any adjustments in the code to compensate for the change?

Another topic - this is my process: I create a collection on Zazzle and then go to Nifty Promo and insert the collection number. This brings up all the products with corresponding code. I then insert the code into wordpress and all the products magically appear Laughing . When I click on the product - is there anyway for the link to go back to my entire Zazzle collection rather than the individual product? I'd love to use the collection as almost a mini store - that way the customer will have many choices rather than just the one item. Hopefully this makes sense.

Once again - THANK YOU!!!
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 12:06:59 PM
colorfulgalshop wrote:
:
:

Thanks for the response Mark!! I now understand the difference between the static vs. live feed. A few more questions/thoughts:
- I'll be using static grids - so if a product is out of stock or deleted from Zazzle, what will it look like on my website? Does the product disappear from my website - will there be a "hole"? Do the columns change? - - If so, do I have to make any adjustments in the code to compensate for the change?

Another topic - this is my process: I create a collection on Zazzle and then go to Nifty Promo and insert the collection number. This brings up all the products with corresponding code. I then insert the code into wordpress and all the products magically appear Laughing . When I click on the product - is there anyway for the link to go back to my entire Zazzle collection rather than the individual product? I'd love to use the collection as almost a mini store - that way the customer will have many choices rather than just the one item. Hopefully this makes sense.

Once again - THANK YOU!!!

In the scenario you describe with a 'missing' product, you'll still get a space for it in the grid but the image will show as broken and there'll be no title / description. The grid will be the same size and shape.
The good thing about static product grids is that they are pure html - no javascript. But that also means there's no javascript that can be used to test if the image is broken or not and take action if it is. Catch 22.

Re each product linking back to the collection - it goes against an internet principle, one everyone's familiar with. If you see lots of things on a page, you expect that if you click one of them, then you'll see more about the one clicked / see it bigger / whatever, but specific to what was clicked.

What it sounds like you want is a link either underneath or above the product grid saying something like "see the collection in store" - and that's easy for peeps to add "by hand", as it were.
I can spell out what the html for such a link would look like, if you want. Shout if you do.
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 2:03:42 PM

[/quote]
In the scenario you describe with a 'missing' product, you'll still get a space for it in the grid but the image will show as broken and there'll be no title / description. The grid will be the same size and shape.
The good thing about static product grids is that they are pure html - no javascript. But that also means there's no javascript that can be used to test if the image is broken or not and take action if it is. Catch 22.

Re each product linking back to the collection - it goes against an internet principle, one everyone's familiar with. If you see lots of things on a page, you expect that if you click one of them, then you'll see more about the one clicked / see it bigger / whatever, but specific to what was clicked.

What it sounds like you want is a link either underneath or above the product grid saying something like "see the collection in store" - and that's easy for peeps to add "by hand", as it were.
I can spell out what the html for such a link would look like, if you want. Shout if you do.[/quote]

Thank you Mark for taking the time to explain things!!

Good idea to put a "see more" link under the products. I think I can figure out the html for the link.

On another note.... I hope you received a small PayPal "treat" yesterday. I just wanted to thank you for developing this tool and keeping it up to date. It would be hard to build my website without it!!
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 2:07:39 PM
You're welcome!

And thanks for the treat Roses I'll go look now Smile

(see if you can find the new Nifty promo tool before I announce it)
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 4:48:35 PM
I've just made live a new tool for Nifty - a slideshow with an elastic bounce effect. Nice!

see it in action, by clicking this link

Set up your own here: http://www.kdl.to/nifty-slideshows.html?mcslsh=ssshr

It works great on tablet, mobile and desktop. Very cool effect Smile
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 7:14:45 PM
HightonRidley wrote:
I've just made live a new tool for Nifty - a slideshow with an elastic bounce effect. Nice!

Set up your own here: http://www.kdl.to/nifty-slideshows.html?mcslsh=ssshr

It works great on tablet, mobile and desktop. Very cool effect Smile

Brillo! it made me laugh out loud, very fun!
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 11:42:26 PM
Glad you like it, Shellibean! Thanks for saying so Smile

I've tweaked the experience a little on mobile so the image is bigger. Tablet and desktop are unchanged.
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 7:09:44 PM
I've just made live another new tool for Nifty - another Product Grid sharer. This

Set up your own here: http://www.kdl.to/nifty-slideshows.html?mcslsh=pgshr

It works great on desktop - testing on mobile and tablet to be completed. I don't know if it's just me, but on mobile and tablet I'm sometimes needing to refresh to see the initial product grid??
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 2:17:53 AM
I think I've solved the issues on tablet and mobile now. How is it on yours?

Try this on your tablet or mobile.
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 9:47:36 AM
HightonRidley wrote:
I've just made live another new tool for Nifty - another Product Grid sharer. This

Set up your own here: http://www.kdl.to/nifty-slideshows.html?mcslsh=pgshr

It works great on desktop - testing on mobile and tablet to be completed. I don't know if it's just me, but on mobile and tablet I'm sometimes needing to refresh to see the initial product grid??

Already used it several times today and Love it!!! Well Done!

Who said you were not a coder? Happy
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 9:53:57 AM
:
:

Already used it several times today and Love it!!! Well Done!

Who said you were not a coder? Happy

A proper coder would've taken a day to piece that together. It took me 5 days of blood, sweat and tears. It was all 2 fairy steps forward, 3 back for a lot of the time!

Up to yesterday start of play, I thought I'd have to give up with it! It was lucky I stumbled on the magic coding incantation to lift me over the unsurmountable last hurdle.
Laughing
Lesson - never give up
Idea
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 9:54:31 AM
Oh, and thankyou, Shellibean for saying nice things again Roses
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 1:42:36 PM
HightonRidley wrote:

yw! and a slow coder is a coder nonetheless. remember aesop's fable? I have practically a whole site now with the biggest part of the content using your coding, and it is running like a dream.
knock on wood! Laughing
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 4:12:59 PM
HightonRidley wrote:

yw! and a slow coder is a coder nonetheless. remember aesop's fable? I have practically a whole site now with the biggest part of the content using your coding, and it is running like a dream.
knock on wood! Laughing

Mwoah!
I remember a few of Aesop's fables but not one relevant here??

Glad it's running like a dream for you Smile
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 5:12:10 PM
I've just finished adding the final(?) tool to Nifty. Its another streamlined individual product sharer, this time generating the BBCode needed to show off your products in the Zazzle Show Me forum. Here's an example of one I did: https://forum.zazzle.com/showcase/show_me_your_spring?m=1340825#1340825

Take it for a spin here: http://www.kdl.to/nifty-slideshows.html?mcslsh=indvprod
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 5:51:38 PM
HightonRidley wrote:
HightonRidley wrote:

knock on wood! Laughing

Mwoah!
I remember a few of Aesop's fables but not one relevant here??

Glad it's running like a dream for you Smile

The tortoise and the hare...was what I meant.
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 7:56:40 AM
Tortoise and Hare - of course!
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 3:39:32 PM
After using the new Nifty individual product sharer for the forum for a while, I've now tweaked it so you can change the search term from the sharer page.

It makes it much quicker to use when you're sharing to many Show Me forum topics in one session. I've also reduced the image size a little.
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 7:47:02 AM
Idea Saving the best for last!
Fed up with all the extra links and stuff you get when sharing to autopost blogs from Zazzle's email sharer?
Customers getting too many distractions when you email them products using it?

Well, you'll be pleased to hear that Nifty now does inidividual product sharing by email, perfect for Autopost Blogs - fully tested on Blogger. Here's what one looks like:

click the image to go to the blog post

Give it a spin yourself. It's in the Individual Product promotion section, here:

click the image to try it out

If you're a sharer, enjoy the ease and if you're a blog owner, enjoy the improvement you'll see to your blogs!

A couple of notes
1) If you share by email to another person or to non-Blogger autopost blogs, they'll see this at the end of the email:
Quote:
#end
To stop receiving any emails from AddThis, please visit: http://www.addthis.com/privacy/email-opt-out

2) You can only share to one email address at a time
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 10:14:02 AM
HightonRidley wrote:
Idea Saving the best for last!
Fed up with all the extra links and stuff you get when sharing to autopost blogs from Zazzle's email sharer?
Customers getting too many distractions when you email them products using it?

Well, you'll be pleased to hear that Nifty now does inidividual product sharing by email, perfect for Autopost Blogs - fully tested on Blogger. Here's what one looks like:

click the image to go to the blog post

Give it a spin yourself. It's in the Individual Product promotion section, here:

click the image to try it out

If you're a sharer, enjoy the ease and if you're a blog owner, enjoy the improvement you'll see to your blogs!

A couple of notes
1) If you share by email to another person or to non-Blogger autopost blogs, they'll see this at the end of the email:
Quote:
#end
To stop receiving any emails from AddThis, please visit: http://www.addthis.com/privacy/email-opt-out

2) You can only share to one email address at a time

best news since the grid opener! Thank you !!!Roses
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 5:50:43 PM
You're welcome, Shellibean.
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 10:03:25 AM
I have just tried out the autopost option and it seems to work a treat! So glad to be able to share products in a streamlined post rather than with all the Zazzle bloat. I hope the blog owners like it too.

Thank you Highton Roses
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 11:17:53 AM
Jules wrote:
I have just tried out the autopost option and it seems to work a treat! So glad to be able to share products in a streamlined post rather than with all the Zazzle bloat. I hope the blog owners like it too.

Thank you Highton Roses

You're welcome, Jules Smile
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 11:47:09 AM
So I've been tweaking again to make Nifty a little more user-friendly.

I've made it so that when you make a change, everything updates automatically. Gone are the buttons to "View matching products" and "rebuild scrollers" as they're not needed any more.

This change means the selected products you see at the bottom are always in line with your changes. Same goes for the link you bookmark to save your changes.

Enjoy
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 3:47:48 PM
This is a great update MarkIdea Idea
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 3:18:03 AM
HightonRidley wrote:

I've made it so that when you make a change, everything updates automatically. Gone are the buttons to "View matching products" and "rebuild scrollers" as they're not needed any more.

This change means the selected products you see at the bottom are always in line with your changes. Same goes for the link you bookmark to save your changes.

Enjoy

That sounds great! I was just coming here to ask you which line of code I need to change when I add a new product to a collection that nifty grid is pulling from to change the max request number from 20 to 30. I had it set for the live grid at 20 but if I want to add a new product here and there without having to delete a product I thought it would be nice to have a 10 product leeway, so then when I get to 30 I can start dropping an older one to keep my grids from getting too big while keeping them fresh. Does that make sense? Now my other question is does this new tweak you made mean that my plans are redundant? or do I still need to know which line of code to adjust so that I don't have to rebuild each grid I already have installed? Thanks in advance!

edit: I just saved my new settings to my personal control panel and it is not that hard to replace the entire code for each collection on my site but it would be even easier to just go down the line and change the relevant line of code for each grid while already in the weebly editor... But I could not find with confidence what I thought was the correct line of code so I just replaced the whole html code from the nifty control panel, thing is though that I have 37 more grids that need to be changed...
Shocked
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 4:49:13 AM
HightonRidley wrote:

Enjoy

That sounds great! I was just coming here to ask you which line of code I need to change when I add a new product to a collection that nifty grid is pulling from to change the max request number from 20 to 30. I had it set for the live grid at 20 but if I want to add a new product here and there without having to delete a product I thought it would be nice to have a 10 product leeway, so then when I get to 30 I can start dropping an older one to keep my grids from getting too big while keeping them fresh. Does that make sense? Now my other question is does this new tweak you made mean that my plans are redundant? or do I still need to know which line of code to adjust so that I don't have to rebuild each grid I already have installed? Thanks in advance!

edit: I just saved my new settings to my personal control panel and it is not that hard to replace the entire code for each collection on my site but it would be even easier to just go down the line and change the relevant line of code for each grid while already in the weebly editor... But I could not find with confidence what I thought was the correct line of code so I just replaced the whole html code from the nifty control panel, thing is though that I have 37 more grids that need to be changed...
Shocked

Give me a link to one of them on your weebly site so I can be sure I'm giving you the right guidance. It should be the line containing "&ps=20". That would change to "&ps=30" to achieve what you want.

My latest tweaks only help with using Nifty, not the previous stuff you've generated / shared with it.
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 4:50:17 AM
BKMuir wrote:
This is a great update MarkIdea Idea

I'm glad it's an improvement!