Nifty and New WP Interface Gutenberg - Not Quite Friends Yet
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2018 3:14:00 AM
Anyone else playing with the new Wordpress moveable "block" based interface Gutenberg yet?

It's quite cool, however, Niftygrid aside, there are number of general frustrations for anyone with a commercial website - for example that the photo galleries don't allow you to link the images externally to your products (what idiot left out that functionality).

I just started experimenting with Nifty Grid to see how to insert the code. I chose an "HTML block" and inserted it. in the backend it keeps giving me an error. In the front end it appears to display (see example on this page (nifty grid part starts three rows down towards the bottom of the page - hope it sticks because it's disappeared on me a few times already).

You can see it here:
http://www.antiqueimages.com/vintage-botanical-garden-pattern/
For now the page appears to work, although it showed errors in the backend, which worried me.

I would really like to be able to keep a saved Gutenberg block with the NiftyGrid code preset in it for reuse on different pages - but as soon as I try to do that, it gives multiple errors and deletes both the saved block and the individual one on the page.

In my previous interface I was using that add quicktag plugin to quickly insert the codes wherever I wanted them.

Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2018 3:46:32 PM
I've not looked at that Gutenberg interface yet. I'll have a quick dive into it to better understand what you're saying. No promises though ;)
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2018 11:58:29 PM
Thanks. It hasn't been released in a final version yet. That's scheduled for the end of this week, however a lot of people think it won't happen until the end of the year. After that it will become the default WordPress interface for everyone. Perhaps not worth spending a lot of time on until after the final release, but good nonetheless to have a look so you know what is coming!
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2019 5:10:00 AM
I've been using the New Wordpress Editor and I've tried using the Nifty tool but I have the same problems as you stated. I gave up and I keep using Zstore Basic, however, I don't know why the view by Popularity by default is not working anymore, it just keeps showing by date created.
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2019 3:23:01 PM
I've been deep in the Zebookfreec project but have now returned from that coding sweatbox
Laughing Laughing

I took a quick look at my own NiftyGridZPro-powered WordPress site. My first hurdle was revealed when I upgraded to PHP 7.2.13

It'll apply to anyone else who upgraded their PHP version as well.

I was getting 4 warning messages of the form:
Quote:
Warning: Use of undefined constant plugin_options - assumed 'plugin_options' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)

...and it was right about throwing the error in a future version of PHP as just happened.

For those of you who feel confident in editing the NiftyGridZPro files it's a simple matter of looking at the problem line and changing
Quote:
plugin_options

to
Quote:
'plugin_options'

My bad. Please get in touch if you'd like help in putting it right. highton.ridley @ g mail .com

I'm finding that the new Gutenburg editor works just fine with NiftyGridZPro's shortcodes.
Is anyone experience any issues with the new editor?

Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2019 4:22:18 AM
Thank you so much HightonRidley! I will try that today. I had upgraded my PHP because the Wordpress Theme I use wasn't working anymore unless I upgraded. Idea
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2019 5:40:59 AM
ironydesign wrote:
Thank you so much HightonRidley! I will try that today. I had upgraded my PHP because the Wordpress Theme I use wasn't working anymore unless I upgraded. Idea

No worries. Shout here or get in touch if you need a helping hand.
Smile
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2019 7:43:39 AM
Yesterday I saw that you had updated the NiftyGridZPro Free WordPress Plugin so I thought I would give it a try. I didn't even know there was a Wordpress Plugin for this. It works GREAT! Thanks so much!

https://niftytoolz.com/the-niftygridz-wordpress-plugin/get-your-niftygridz-free-wordpress-plugin
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2019 9:06:33 AM
ironydesign wrote:
Yesterday I saw that you had updated the NiftyGridZPro Free WordPress Plugin so I thought I would give it a try. I didn't even know there was a Wordpress Plugin for this. It works GREAT! Thanks so much!

https://niftytoolz.com/the-niftygridz-wordpress-plugin/get-your-niftygridz-free-wordpress-plugin

Glad you like it Smile
Thanks for saying so Roses