NEW Design Tool 2 pages: [1] 2
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2018 10:20:45 AM
How do I access the New Design Tool that was mentioned as being rolled out today?
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2018 10:24:38 AM
ShowerOfRoses wrote:
How do I access the New Design Tool that was mentioned as being rolled out today?

There doesn't appear to be an 'official' way. I went into a different browser and, without logging in, I can see it. Not sure what'd happen if I logged in, but, as my mama used to say "you might get stuck like that," so I'm not trying to log in there. lol
Grin
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2018 11:00:57 AM
I can use it on MS Edge but not Chrome.
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2018 11:12:10 AM
Thanks for the replies. I found that I could use the new tool with Internet Explorer (IE) but not Chrome.
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2018 11:13:49 AM
It's an AB test.

You might see it on one browser and not another. Right now I can see it using my ipad. I can not see it using my laptop using chrome, but I do see it using Firefox.
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 8:42:07 AM
Hi,

I am on an Apple computer.

I find that I can not design anything right now on Safari. The design tool will not show the work window? Hopefully this updates, because I use Safari a lot more.

But I can get the new design tool to work with Firefox. It looks like it might have some neat features, once we figure everything out Smile

FLAGG
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 4:14:12 PM
Don't be in a hurry to use it, the new designer has too many hidden options that you spend precious time looking for.
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2018 8:11:00 AM
There's a new tool?
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2018 8:22:17 AM
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2018 9:25:48 AM
Maz wrote:
It's an AB test.

You might see it on one browser and not another. Right now I can see it using my ipad. I can not see it using my laptop using chrome, but I do see it using Firefox.

I have it on Mobile (via Chrome) but not on desktop with any browser at all
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2018 4:32:43 AM
ZAZZLE, (All),

I am starting to like some aspects of the new design tool. Three things:

1) How do you select ALL the/ a large group of objects easily. It used to be that you could use the shift key. Now you have to select them individually it seems.

2) How do you now turn the 'Snapping' off and on??? I see the gridlines and guidelines. But not the snapping???

3) It took me forever to find the ability to change the background color. Now I know where it is. But that you to be such and easy thing to find and do. So I now know where it is and it is not a problem for me......

But I advertise and tell people ALL THE TIME that the background color can be changed to their liking. I even say that in many of my design descriptions.

****However I feel like if a customer wants to change the background color, and hits customize, they will never find how to change the background color and give up (maybe not buying the item)! You show go back to making this a VERY OBVIOUS option when you hit 'customize.' This is the option that the customer might look to change the most.

Thanks for your consideration,

FLAGG
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2018 8:58:23 AM
FLAGG wrote:
ZAZZLE, (All),

1) How do you select ALL the/ a large group of objects easily. It used to be that you could use the shift key. Now you have to select them individually it seems.

2) How do you now turn the 'Snapping' off and on??? I see the gridlines and guidelines. But not the snapping???

1. To group and move several items at once in the new design tool: hold Ctrl and left click to select items, then release the Ctrl key and move all selected while holding the left mouse button.

2. Snapping can be turned off from the settings tab on the top left corner of the design tool screen:

In regards to making the background color options more obvious, we'll pass along your suggestion Smile
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2018 9:30:06 AM
David wrote:
FLAGG wrote:
ZAZZLE, (All),

1. To group and move several items at once in the new design tool: hold Ctrl and left click to select items, then release the Ctrl key and move all selected while holding the left mouse button.

That's exactly what FLAGG said. In the old tool, we had the ability to select several layers holding Shift, and it took only two clicks to select many layers. Now, we have to click each layer individually holding Ctrl. Each layer. That means, in the old tool you had to click 2 times to select 10 layers, and in the new tool, you have to click 10 times to select 10 layers. I leave it to you to decide if this is an improvement saving our working time.
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2018 9:36:05 AM
Given that Shift+select is the standard all over the place for selecting contiguous items while Control+select is for non-contiguous items, why was the Shift choice removed?
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2018 10:23:29 AM
FLAGG wrote:
?

3) It took me forever to find the ability to change the background color. Now I know where it is. But that you to be such and easy thing to find and do. So I now know where it is and it is not a problem for me......

But I advertise and tell people ALL THE TIME that the background color can be changed to their liking. I even say that in many of my design descriptions.

****However I feel like if a customer wants to change the background color, and hits customize, they will never find how to change the background color and give up (maybe not buying the item)! You show go back to making this a VERY OBVIOUS option when you hit 'customize.' This is the option that the customer might look to change the most.

FLAGG

Why can't a background color link be on the product page with the templates? Maybe there could be a way to disable it for designers who don't want it there...
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2018 12:17:23 PM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:

Why can't a background color link be on the product page with the templates? Maybe there could be a way to disable it for designers who don't want it there...

I'm all for that! I've had several opportunities to work in the new designer (it keeps changing from new back to old), and each time I forget where to find the background colors, and they are hard to find.
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2018 12:26:45 PM
Just got the New Design tool popping up. Is there a Up and Down button? I can't seem to find it. Dragging the item isn't always the easiest thing to do, so I hope it's there somewhere.

Thanks,

Jeff
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2018 1:40:58 PM
teepossible wrote:
Just got the New Design tool popping up. Is there a Up and Down button? I can't seem to find it. Dragging the item isn't always the easiest thing to do, so I hope it's there somewhere.

Thanks,

Jeff

You have to use the arrow keys, Control+arrow for smaller increments. We're all hoping they bring back the directional move tool.
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2018 5:36:48 AM
Colorwash wrote:
teepossible wrote:
Thanks,
Jeff

You have to use the arrow keys, Control+arrow for smaller increments. We're all hoping they bring back the directional move tool.

I couldn't find the center tool that was inside the arrows
How do you move 45 degrees that use to be between move horz. and vert.
Am I the only one that thinks it is a giant step backwards ? Crying
Way too cumbersome !! Crying
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2018 12:33:54 PM
Al Mount wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
teepossible wrote:
Thanks,
Jeff

I couldn't find the center tool that was inside the arrows
How do you move 45 degrees that use to be between move horz. and vert.
Am I the only one that thinks it is a giant step backwards ? Crying
Way too cumbersome !! Crying

Hold CTRL and two arrows (i.e. up+right) to move diagonally.
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 7:33:55 AM
This new design tool and the prior iteration (2016) both appear to have something in common - the initial elimination of tools that might not be friendly for touch-based devices like smart phones and tablets (directional tools, using the shift key to select multiple objects/layers, hiding background colors several clicks deep, probably to save on screen real estate.)

Despite the way it's been sold to us, the focus doesn't really seem to be on the needs of designers, unless you believe that most designers are using touch devices now for the bulk of their design work.

Accessibility rant to follow: Most touch devices are too small for people with vision issues to use. They're not necessarily friendly for people with motor control challenges. Touch devices that are large enough for us to comfortably use are prohibitively expensive, especially if you consider the number of such people who live on fixed/limited incomes, which in turn may be why they've turned to designing on Zazzle as a means to supplement their income.

If Zazzle has anything to say with regard to how it plans to meet the needs of designers and customers with accessibility issues in their design tools, I'd love to hear it. Those considerations should be taken into account when planning changes to the site. Not as afterthoughts. Not as something we have to continually remind you about after-the-fact when you introduce changes that turn our place in the Zazzle world upside-down.

Please, hear us!
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 7:49:07 AM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:
Despite the way it's been sold to us, the focus doesn't really seem to be on the needs of designers, unless you believe that most designers are using touch devices now for the bulk of their design work.

I suppose Zazzle is trying to accommodate customers who are very likely using touch devices. That's fine for shoppers, not at all fine for designing, whether by us or by customers. It would seem a fool's errand to try to solve both sides of the equation within a single setup. If I had to design on something like an iPad, I'd quit.
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 8:52:42 AM
Colorwash wrote:
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:

I suppose Zazzle is trying to accommodate customers who are very likely using touch devices. That's fine for shoppers, not at all fine for designing, whether by us or by customers. It would seem a fool's errand to try to solve both sides of the equation within a single setup. If I had to design on something like an iPad, I'd quit.

Funny (not in a 'ha ha' sort of way), I've just seen a post in the Tech Issues subforum from an iPad user who's also having issues and asked if designing has to be done on a computer now.

Has me wondering - Who was the target user type for the new interface? Smart phone users? Tablet users? Desktop/laptop computer users? Rich people who can afford high end hybrid touch devices? Drawing pad users? (Og and his wooden club? Laughing )
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 9:17:46 AM
For a long time, I worked as a permanent beta tester with a video graphics company, and their alpha team had a bank of computers they did their in-house testing on, going from pads through laptops to computers along with OS versions and browsers. By the time the beta team obtained the software, we hit only small bugs, more than anything having to test for user experience. I keep thinking that maybe Zazzle could do a version of this, perhaps using employees with different setups.
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 9:24:20 AM
Colorwash wrote:
For a long time, I worked as a permanent beta tester with a video graphics company, and their alpha team had a bank of computers they did their in-house testing on, going from pads through laptops to computers along with OS versions and browsers. By the time the beta team obtained the software, we hit only small bugs, more than anything having to test for user experience. I keep thinking that maybe Zazzle could do a version of this, perhaps using employees with different setups.

Or they could survey designers to see who is willing to help test the usability of new functions before releasing to the general population...Idea
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 9:27:45 AM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Colorwash wrote:

Or they could survey designers to see who is willing to help test the usability of new functions before releasing to the general population...Idea

I'm not sure Zazzle trusts any of us enough to use as beta testers. Elsewhere, such testers sign a non-disclosure agreement for the duration of the beta.
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 10:04:21 AM
- Everything Fuzzy said.

- There are no up/down/left/right cursor keys on my phone or tablet, not that I'd use either to design. But how does one move a lower layer on a design with multiple layers filling the design area?

- That the perception is they don't trust us says a lot. There are many talented people in both tech and design here.

- I volunteer to beta test on a lot of sites, when given a choice, even if for small periods at a time. That allows me to continue working and still provide feedback.

- In lieu of true volunteer beta testers, I invite them to record my screen and count left-to-right and right-to-left motions and clicks on designs with multiple layers vs. the prior tool.

- Agree "It would seem a fool's errand to try to solve both sides of the equation within a single setup." The unused space on my larger-than-life desktop screen with everything behind a click makes me think this is exactly what's happening.

- I give up. I'm going to open an embroidered hat and fabric shop because those tools haven't been updated since forever ago. (I'm pretty sure I'm not joking.)

On a positive note, I'm grateful that 98% of my holiday designs were done in advance of this advancement.
Grin
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 12:37:51 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
-
On a positive note, I'm grateful that 98% of my holiday designs were done in advance of this advancement.
Grin

So am I !!! Laughing
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 5:35:50 PM
Can someone point me to the background color tool in the new designer tool? I cannot seem to find it and it is VITAL to how I design my products!

Also is the ability to LOCK an element (e.g. image logo on the back of a card, or my COPYRIGHT mark in it's own layer) so people don't drag it off the product or cover it with their own added image or put it in a layer beneath the others so it can no longer be seen or make it SO small it cannot be read? As someone whose art is stolen 365 days a year, the LOCK feature is legally vital for my products.
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 6:24:12 PM
KiniArt wrote:
Can someone point me to the background color tool in the new designer tool? I cannot seem to find it and it is VITAL to how I design my products!

When you have an element in place, you should see OPTIONS appear in the left column. Clicking that will bring up the background color in the Right Column

Quote:
Also is the ability to LOCK an element (e.g. image logo on the back of a card, or my COPYRIGHT mark in it's own layer) so people don't drag it off the product or cover it with their own added image or put it in a layer beneath the others so it can no longer be seen or make it SO small it cannot be read? As someone whose art is stolen 365 days a year, the LOCK feature is legally vital for my products.

Highlighting an element will show you a lock icon. Blue means Unlocked and Gray means Locked. Locking doesn't prevent an element from being covered up. It only prevents it from being moved. Choosing "Make object(s) permanent and always visible" prevents cover-up and, though it doesn't prevent moving/resizing, it does not allow removal from the design area. No idea if it prevents it from being resized too small to be seen.