Lets see your Create-a-Product store!
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:59:20 PM
Lets see your Create-a-Product API stores!

Here's mine:
www.zazzle.com/cartoonizemypet
(using the template buffet)
Grin
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:00:50 AM
I like it Smile If I ever get some free time I'm going to try and do something similar but with my photographs. I just might have to pick your brain when I finally tackle it. xd
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 1:54:10 PM
Wow CatoonizeMyPet you are super talented at webdesign, your website is amazing!! I wish I could do something like that!! It must have taken you ages but it was so worth it! Grin
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 4:07:10 PM
Awww shucks, thankyou! Grin

I wanna see some more though... come on everyone, there's no excuses now that I wrote a guide! Stick out tongue
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 9:42:24 PM
Heck yeah! Thank you!
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2010 7:11:44 AM
I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but here's one of mine:
carnivalcutout shirt templates

Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2010 2:40:34 PM
partyanimals wrote:
I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but here's one of mine:
carnivalcutout shirt templates

Yay! That's the stuff! Grin Grin Grin
Fabulous use of the API!
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 1:27:43 PM
MerchieMart wrote:
I used your tutorial to make a few. Nothing fancy yet just enough to see if it works, a page of oxymorons.

http://merchiemart.com/oxymoron/

Great work! Wow that's a lot of oxymorons! Shocked
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 4:28:54 PM
Thought I'd post some others great API powered stores I found in my travels:

http://license-plate-shirts.com/
http://www.fancyfeetcustomshoes.com/
http://www.memakemonster.com/
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2010 12:42:08 AM
Is that really it?
I'm surprised, I've been looking but that's all I've seen too.
I'm think I'm going to start from scratch in a new store but then I suppose it could be operating invisibly behind the scenes in my current one??
Still a bit confused about the template buffet.
When a customer chooses an image from our external website do they get directed to a page which has all the possible options in the template buffet, or is it possible to direct them to a subsection, eg say I want to send them off to a 'party pack' section with a simple list of invites, postage, stationery etc but no bumper stickers etc.
I don't want to ovewhelm the customer with all the options and I do want to offer a simple and stylish set of options.

I don't suppose there is a way to offer a 'pack' eg, 10x envelopes, invites, postage?
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2010 3:20:55 AM
As long as you have your products in a separate section folder, you can send them to a buffet for the section you've created.

For example:

card buffet

is just my greeting cards in this new store of mine (I'm also partyanimals & carnivalcutouts.com)

Posted: Monday, August 02, 2010 3:35:24 AM
Dang, wish I'd thought of that! If I could add one thing to the template buffet it would be a drop down product selector like the stores have. The more products they bring out the longer the buffet gets and I'm starting to worry that customers might not be bothered to click to the end.

Creating little selection buffets are a great idea! Idea
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2010 5:18:04 AM
Thanks for this.
I'm still a bit hazy about the template buffets.
Would I create on big one with all possible options (as I will want to do this sometimes) and then others organised into sections? Are these separate template sections. Where and how??
I think I need a sandbox store to experiment here.

Presumably when a new product line comes out, one can just add to these template sections?

Cartoonize, I keep reading your wonderful tutorial and admiring your store/web/blog integration.
I presume that none of your products are in the marketplace (how could they be) and that you do not have any store categories? Just templates?
Is your CmyP store just set to private/direct?
I presume that your products do not come up in Zazzle's own Google search results, (which are rather good for me) and that you are driving all your own traffic?

You still seem to have that pesky Zazzle search bar intruding. Can this be overcome?
I think the API is the way to go for me, I was just about to totally redo my store but have many concerns about the marketplace.
Sorry if some of these questions are either misplaced or misunderstood, it's fairly steep learning curve!
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2010 6:10:02 AM
Sorry, another query, how do you tag the individual items which have been generated by the template Buffet?
Your tags are specific to the image chosen from your website.
What purpose does this serve? Is this aimed at search engine hits, or purely within your own store.
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2010 6:54:41 AM
PaulStickland wrote:
I presume that none of your products are in the marketplace (how could they be) and that you do not have any store categories? Just templates?
Is your CmyP store just set to private/direct?
I presume that your products do not come up in Zazzle's own Google search results, (which are rather good for me) and that you are driving all your own traffic?

Oh no, they are all public and in the marketplace, but there's only one color for each pet. If I hadn't replaced the sidebar on my store with my own one (with advanced store customization) it would look much like my SugarVsSpice Animal Lovers section, just without the subcategories for the different colors. I still get people coming in from the MP list and Google (you can search for cartoonizemypet on both and I'll be there!) Smile The products can be bought without ever going to my site or using the template buffet... but if they do go there, then they can change the color and I get 15% extra!
Grin

PaulStickland wrote:
You still seem to have that pesky Zazzle search bar intruding. Can this be overcome?

I added the little zbar myself to stay consistent with Zazzle, but there's a bug where the larger search bar pops open when you click on a product. I've been talking with Zazzle support who actually fixed it a week or so ago (so it always stayed as the small zbar,) but the site update the other night seems to have undone their good work. I've let them know, so fingers crossed it will be fixed again soon.

PaulStickland wrote:
I think the API is the way to go for me, I was just about to totally redo my store but have many concerns about the marketplace.
Sorry if some of these questions are either misplaced or misunderstood, it's fairly steep learning curve!

Not to worry, I know exactly where you're coming from, I had many restless nights and days before I finally decided to "reroll" and move my pet products to their own store.

PaulStickland wrote:
Sorry, another query, how do you tag the individual items which have been generated by the template Buffet?
Your tags are specific to the image chosen from your website.
What purpose does this serve? Is this aimed at search engine hits, or purely within your own store.

I tag them for whatever pet it is but I don't mention the color, as it will change. Actually one of the downsides (and reasons I'll always end up competing with my old SvS store,) is that I can't tag a product specifically for a color. Before I had products called "Cartoon Chihuahua (chocolate tricolor)", which would do very well in google searches... but now the same product is just called "Cartoon Chihuahua."

I've tried to compensate by having the full name (pet & color) in the image "alt" tag of the button on my website. I read Google pays attention to image "alt" attributes, esp ones for links. I haven't spotted them coming up in google searches yet by here's hoping it will make a difference eventually. It's an annoying downside, but not having to spend endless hours in QC any more makes it worth it for me.
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2010 8:11:24 AM
This is so helpful, I am beginning to see the light!
I am going to sit down and read everything I can find again.
Are there any useful sources other than the forum and zazzle itself?

So, for your zazzle/cartoonize my pet store, do you have categories that can't be seen, behind the scenes?
The category links from your zazzle store lead you back to your.com site and then on to the template buffet.
I can see the basic product category such as zazzle/cartoonizemypet/great dane, with just the one colour.

Good news re. the search bar and that zazzle are looking into it.

With regard to the advanced store customization, do you use a program such as photoshop and dreamweaver to create sidebars etc or do you use code?

One last (!) question, how, using the template buffet, do you cope with placing of the images on the products, are have all your designs a standard size and proportion?
Or could one set up a set of templates designed specifically for a landscape, portrait or square?

I have just put a up a blog post on your store on my ***link_temporarily_disabled***.
I am amazed by ***link_temporarily_disabled***, the last post I put up of a friend's music came in at no.1 on Google's front page search in less than 30 minutes.
Posted: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 1:29:08 PM
PaulStickland wrote:
So, for your zazzle/cartoonize my pet store, do you have categories that can't be seen, behind the scenes?

Sort of, but they're not hidden in the normal way, all the products are visible, I've just removed the normal menu so you can't get to them easily. If you know the urls you can still get to the individual categories. Eg here's my Boxers category: http://www.zazzle.com/cartoonizemypet/gifts?cg=196556279581766834

PaulStickland wrote:
The category links from your zazzle store lead you back to your.com site and then on to the template buffet.
I can see the basic product category such as zazzle/cartoonizemypet/great dane, with just the one colour.

Yup that's it! Smile I'll sometimes have sub categories if a pet has different shapes, like the guinea pigs are broken down into smooth, scruffy and long categories.

PaulStickland wrote:
With regard to the advanced store customization, do you use a program such as photoshop and dreamweaver to create sidebars etc or do you use code?

My process for designing websites is usually:
1) Write down all the pages I need in the website; the Categories, FAQ, contact pages etc
2) Take a screenshot of what I'm trying to design onto, eg a Zazzle store and then chop things up, add stuff and move it around in Photoshop until I like it.
3) Break all the sections down, eg the yellow tab buttons are all separate pngs and the paper edge + white background is a jpg.
4) Add them to the html one by one and mess with the CSS until everything is in the right place. (I use Komodo Edit 5 for the coding)

There's some fabulous inspirational websites out there, just Google "website inspiration" and you'll get a bunch. Mine is loosely based on one I found.

PaulStickland wrote:
One last (!) question, how, using the template buffet, do you cope with placing of the images on the products, are have all your designs a standard size and proportion?
Or could one set up a set of templates designed specifically for a landscape, portrait or square?

In my case I'm just changing the colors, so as long as all the colors are the same shape/size it works. When there's some variation, like the 3 guinea pig shapes, I make a new category/template buffet for each type.

You definitely could have 1 set of products that worked for everything if you kept the size the same (eg country flags,) but it wouldn't work for me because I have to fit little birthday/christmas hats on them all. Grin

PaulStickland wrote:
I have just put a up a blog post on your store on my ***link_temporarily_disabled***.
I am amazed by ***link_temporarily_disabled***, the last post I put up of a friend's music came in at no.1 on Google's front page search in less than 30 minutes.

Awww thanks! Glad you liked the whippets, dratted things come in so many colors xd
Posted: Wednesday, August 04, 2010 12:43:02 AM
Thanks so much for all this.

Zazzle should be paying you, a lot!

I'm going to take your lead and try to integrate the entire web experience more.
It's this that makes your idea stand head and shoulders above the rest.

As for whippet/lurcher colours, my last lurcher (apricot with kohl eyes) had 23 puppies (two litters), not one with the same coat colour or length, all fabulous handsome dogs though.
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2010 8:22:29 PM
PaulStickland wrote:
As for whippet/lurcher colours, my last lurcher (apricot with kohl eyes) had 23 puppies (two litters), not one with the same coat colour or length, all fabulous handsome dogs though.

Awww adorable! Oh drat, what's that I see... I don't have those mottled colors! Shocked
Blast! xd xd xd
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 7:45:20 AM
Aren't they wonderful? The mottles are blue merles, well some of them! The rest look like an explosion in a paint factory!!
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 12:34:17 AM
Here's my first API Store

http://www.zazzle.com/fun_with_fonts

I designed it more as part of the learning curve in understanding the API, so it's not too sophisticated in design and the products it generates.

Thanks ever so much for the tutorial, CMP. It was incredibly useful and (relatively) easy to implement. Anyone thinking of developing a store that uses the API should spend time reading it.

Roses

Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2018 4:40:56 PM
Tons done,Tons to go:
https://www.familycrestgifts.com/

Thanks for the tutorial it really helped!
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 2:19:17 PM
CartoonizeMyPet wrote:
Lets see your Create-a-Product API stores!

Here's mine:
www.zazzle.com/cartoonizemypet
(using the template buffet)
Grin

Wow, that's amazing! I have no idea how you could even do that! (Of course I haven't read anything about API or anything yet...) Very impressive.