TipZ- Update Save the dates, invites to 2022- 12/9/2021
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2021 1:36:29 AM
Hi all,

As 2021 draws to a close, let's begin updating save the dates, invitations, announcements, calendars, and any other products that might have 2021, to 2022, or 20XX so we can be ready for the New Year and all the amazing events it will bring.

While having dates with '20xx' means you won't have to worry about updating every year, we recommend switching the year to 2022 because it will yield better search results versus 20xx.

Thanks, Designers.

Best wish,
The Z Team.
💙
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2021 7:21:31 AM
I would be happy to UPDATE many of my popular "Save the Date" or other dated products but that's not possible for all of us who don't have that edit option. (hint, hint Grin)

However, if you mean delete and remake the old ones, I get it. 😉

Thanks for the marketing advice to use the year on dates instead of the "XX".

Posted: Friday, December 10, 2021 8:07:56 AM
I think it's worth mentioning the process for the changes has slowed down to a crawl. We'll have to be patient while the team can plow through the backlog. I still have stuff from November 30th pending.
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2021 2:08:16 PM
wrote:
Hi all,

As 2021 draws to a close, let's begin updating save the dates, invitations, announcements, calendars, and any other products that might have 2021, to 2022, or 20XX so we can be ready for the New Year and all the amazing events it will bring.

While having dates with '20xx' means you won't have to worry about updating every year, we recommend switching the year to 2022 because it will yield better search results versus 20xx.

Thanks, Designers.

Best wish,
The Z Team.
💙

ZAZZLE was the one that TOLD us to use 20XX for wedding invitations! I'm not going to give up all my sales to post new versions with a 2022 date, and then every year lose all the sales and views traction. Can I just put 2022 as a tag?
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2021 2:11:14 PM
wrote:
I would be happy to UPDATE many of my popular "Save the Date" or other dated products but that's not possible for all of us who don't have that edit option. (hint, hint Grin)

Yeah, I gave up on that one! And I'm not going to lose all my sales and views and market traction to change the dates every year, especially after ZAZZLE was the one to RECOMMEND putting XX! You'd think they would be able to set their search algorithms to automatically read XX as whatever year we are in!
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2021 2:51:03 PM
If we are going to do that every year, we need an edit feature so we don't lose our views / marketplace / whatever you want to call it.

I'd love to have an edit feature - been saying that for a decade. Instead of having to remake items. This proved a major task for me (which isn't yet completed) with the latest version of postcards - changed dimensions of print area and that awful awful awful horribly awful "Designer / Zazzle Credit".
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2021 7:58:46 PM
Zazzle, another question. To get good search results, is it necessary to put exactly 2022, or can we use a date further in the future like 2032? This is really putting a hitch in my 2022 production plan- I was going to concentrate on a lot more wedding designs. But if I have to re-make everything every year, it's not worth it. And certainly won't improve sales when sales and views start from scratch every year!
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2021 9:33:58 PM
Always wondered why the 20XX. 2099 would make more sense, usually, you use a 9 to mark placeholder numbers. This also works better with many fonts, where 20XX looks extremely weird due to the different styling of text and numbers.

I also don't think, changing the design content to a specific year makes sense. Upgrading would be immense and you would need an edit function for this. 2099 would be the most appropriate design solution IMO.

Title, tags, and description are a different story. There it may make sense to change to the current year to provide better search results, in the cases, you assume buyers will possibly include the year in their search.
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2021 9:56:25 PM
Oh, and as a closing remark... talking about updating dates on designs and calendars:

Next year, get ahold of yourselves and add a separate full blank "artistic" variant to your calendars. One without these awful grids, so designers can finally create true artistic calendars again, as it was possible before you killed yet another useful function (that's why I joined Z and not CP back in the old days).

It doesn't cost you anything, the print process is the same, and having it listed separately, it can be used for different purposes and customers don't get confused. And Zazzle would offer - again - unique art calendars that are not seen in (pretty/almost?) any other POD out there.

I know, I sound like a broken record. Every. Single. Year. But I truly don't get why you keep being that reluctant in (re-)adding such a blank calendar variant. It makes no sense at all.
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2021 7:01:45 AM
wrote:
wrote:

Yeah, I gave up on that one! And I'm not going to lose all my sales and views and market traction to change the dates every year, especially after ZAZZLE was the one to RECOMMEND putting XX! You'd think they would be able to set their search algorithms to automatically read XX as whatever year we are in!

I must have missed the recommendation for the XX although I have a mix of both.

I understand and that is why I said "that's not possible for all of us who don't have the edit option."

I said "I get it" about deleting the old ones if they have old non templated dates before 2022, but with the edit option they too can be updated.
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2021 9:32:13 AM
wrote:

ZAZZLE was the one that TOLD us to use 20XX for wedding invitations! ... Can I just put 2022 as a tag?

My thoughts exactly. I mean, it's great to know that people search for the year, but honestly, changing every single one of the thousands and thousands of save the date cards I've got is just not practical. I may consider adding 2022 to the tags, but I'm still not convinced that it's a better use of my time than working on the backlog of other stuff I need to do.
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2021 10:01:16 AM
wrote:
wrote:

ZAZZLE was the one that TOLD us to use 20XX for wedding invitations! ... Can I just put 2022 as a tag?

My thoughts exactly. I mean, it's great to know that people search for the year, but honestly, changing every single one of the thousands and thousands of save the date cards I've got is just not practical. I may consider adding 2022 to the tags, but I'm still not convinced that it's a better use of my time than working on the backlog of other stuff I need to do.

I don't think, shoppers will put any dates in their searches for save the date cards and wedding stuff, and they surely won't care if the card shows a 20XX instead of the actual year, so I'm pretty certain, any effort in changing years will be pointless. And even on calendars, actual years will play a minor role. We're not talking about year-sensitive election material or perhaps new year cards.

Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2021 10:02:40 AM
wrote:
wrote:

It takes a lot of time to change tags and titles too!
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2021 12:50:45 PM
wrote:
wrote:
wrote:

That's true, but at least we won't lose all our marketplace traction from sales and views, which we will if we have to repost everything every year!
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2021 3:19:07 AM
This seems like the Zazzle tech team might be able to figure out a special object we could insert into text that was a "year" object that would automatically update every year. Tech team, I have faith in you!
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2021 6:53:47 AM
PetsDreamlands wrote:
wrote:
wrote:

I don't think, shoppers will put any dates in their searches for save the date cards and wedding stuff, and they surely won't care if the card shows a 20XX instead of the actual year, so I'm pretty certain, any effort in changing years will be pointless. And even on calendars, actual years will play a minor role. We're not talking about year-sensitive election material or perhaps new year cards.

I agree, when I search for a calendar, I'd probably type in "cat calendar" or "wildlife calendar", I wouldn't put in a date.

A couple of years ago, I got tired of creating new calendars every year (to update the date), so I just started leaving the dates off.
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2021 8:34:13 AM
CatsEyeViewGifts wrote:
I agree, when I search for a calendar, I'd probably type in "cat calendar" or "wildlife calendar", I wouldn't put in a date.

A couple of years ago, I got tired of creating new calendars every year (to update the date), so I just started leaving the dates off.

Yup, that's how you search for a calendar, the content matters, the year is irrelevant, especially when you know you're on a POD site. Same applies to save the date and wedding prints, you search for a theme, not for a year. On New Year cards it's different because you may want to have a year-specific card.

Put the year in a template field and all problems are solved. You only need to update calendars when you create art calendars from scratch including all data, which isn't possible anymore on Z.
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2021 10:45:26 AM
Thanks for all your feedback on this! Definitely noted and very much appreciated. Grin

Thanks,
-James.H
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2021 8:17:12 AM
I think it would only be fair that all designers get the option to edit as seems the going word today. Its not fair we have to edit designs and repost as a new item for the rest of us that aren't special.

I just did have to edit a pillow and had to post it as new and lose all my views and sales info.
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2021 1:00:10 PM
Diamond_Willow wrote:
I think it would only be fair that all designers get the option to edit as seems the going word today. Its not fair we have to edit designs and repost as a new item for the rest of us that aren't special.

I just did have to edit a pillow and had to post it as new and lose all my views and sales info.

Agree with you! 100%
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2021 4:49:35 PM
wrote:
wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks, Designers.

Best wish,
The Z Team.
💙

ZAZZLE was the one that TOLD us to use 20XX for wedding invitations! I'm not going to give up all my sales to post new versions with a 2022 date, and then every year lose all the sales and views traction.

Ditto

and calendars, etc.

Posted: Friday, December 17, 2021 4:51:13 PM
wrote:
wrote:
wrote:

Exactly!

Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 11:58:24 AM
I really don't know why Zazzle does not allow us to edit our products. Redbubble and TeePublic have this feature. It is nice to update a design and not have to recreate it with a new URL each time. Especially if there have been sales and views on that product.

It does take time to update even titles and tags. As mentioned Zazzle was the one who told us to put 20XX.