Media display 2 pages: 1 [2]
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2019 5:53:37 PM
ZingerBug wrote:
OK... really weird. My changes show up in the public storefront, but not on my end.

Anyhoo… I tried to outsmart the weird cropping issue by making the first image horizontal rather than square, but it totally didn't work, it just cropped to a section in the center of the rectangle. Gah! Guess I'll try something else.

Your staff is too cute!

Try making your image a square, but keeping the part you want visible in a rectangle in the center of your image to trick it into cropping just your rectangle. I haven't tried it, but it might work.Idea
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2019 9:48:38 AM
MelroseOriginals wrote:

Your staff is too cute!

Try making your image a square, but keeping the part you want visible in a rectangle in the center of your image to trick it into cropping just your rectangle. I haven't tried it, but it might work.Idea

Great minds think alike! That was next on my list to try. Assuming I get to it soon, I'll post back and let y'all know if it worked or not.

BTW, anybody know if you can post an animated gif in the media section?

p.s. Glad you liked my staff photos. Not sure how much they'll add to the customer experience, but I sure had fun looking through my archives of kitty photos to find good ones!
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2019 10:11:36 AM
Oh gosh, Ms. Zinger, I love the staff photos and the positions each have held or still do hold! The packaging department was especially noticeable.
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2019 11:47:16 AM
Colorwash wrote:
Oh gosh, Ms. Zinger, I love the staff photos and the positions each have held or still do hold! The packaging department was especially noticeable.

Ha! He was actually the hardest one! Most of my photos of him are just head shots of him looking sweet & beautiful rather than "contributing" to the family business. Isn't that always the way though? The pretty ones just seem to think they can get by on looks alone! Stick out tongue

BTW - I really didn't mean to hijack this thread. I fear once you get the cat lady started it's sorta hard to stop...
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2019 12:49:40 PM
Too funny!
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 6:31:26 AM
Media is a section of Zazzle's website created by Zazzle. I was scanning through this thread (which is in the technical issues forum) and have not seen a response from Zazzle. Due to the fact that there are changes to media without notification a response would be great.
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 7:47:05 AM
ZingerBug wrote:
BTW - I really didn't mean to hijack this thread. I fear once you get the cat lady started it's sorta hard to stop...

Hijack away! I'd be a crazy cat lady too if I wasn't married to a man more allergic to cats than I thought possible. The saddest part is that he loves cats too. I get my cat fix via people like you.
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 3:53:38 PM
SherylsVirtualGarden wrote:
I'm a new designer and have a question regarding the media display on my store page. Is it possible to affect the size of the item displayed? I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is a bug or as designed. I have 3 items posted and the first one is cut off but the other 2 are fine.

The minimum size for media files is 1440 x 1080. However, the thumbnails shown on your store's home page are square so to make them look good, design your media images as square which means 1440 x 1440 minimum. I made mine 1500 x 1500.
The problem is that for the first thumbnail in your image array, Zazzle chooses to show it as a rectangle approximately twice the width and slightly taller than the square thumbs below it. When I set up my media section I did a bunch of trial & error to get something workable as a thumb for that first non-square slot. What I arrived at was this 1730 x 1100 image:

The upper half of the image with the text fit perfectly into the thumb slot complete with its colored border - the blank bottom half of the image was "cut-off" as planned. I don't recall how I arrived at doing it that way but it displayed perfectly. UNTIL JUST RECENTLY. Sometime in the last few weeks Zazzle changed something and it no longer fits. Worse, if you go to your About page, the media shows there too (I don't remember it being there before) and that first pesky image thumb is a different dimension than on the Home page. UGHHH! (All the other thumbs still display as square.)
So for best effect, we need to make all of our media files square, except for one that we designate as the first in our array and that needs to be rectangular but I haven't been able to figure out a ratio that works for the thumb on both the Home and About page. So when I get time I think I am just going to make an image with a generic all-over pattern where it doesn't matter how they crop it.