Collection IMages Hit or Miss on Twitter
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 7:30:14 AM
I do almost all my promoting on Twitter. But lately, when I tweet a collection link, the image only pops about half the time. Is this a Zazzle problem...or a Twitter problem?

Anyone else experiencing this?
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 8:48:45 AM
Yes, I've had this issue for months. Now I always test out the link with Twitter card validator https://cards-dev.twitter.com/validator before posting my tweets to see if it is going to work or not. Some products have the same issue. Sometimes one view will work while another one won't. I really with I could tweet collections more consistently but they just don't work that often.
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 10:38:43 AM
Anderson_Designs wrote:
Yes, I've had this issue for months. Now I always test out the link with Twitter card validator https://cards-dev.twitter.com/validator before posting my tweets to see if it is going to work or not. Some products have the same issue. Sometimes one view will work while another one won't. I really with I could tweet collections more consistently but they just don't work that often.

Thank you, Mary Melinda! Not even sure I was aware of a Twitter card validator. I do think I did the Twitter card thing a long time ago. But using a "validator" is new to me. Thanks again!

UPDATE: Well, maybe I've misunderstood what you said. I tested one product URL for which the image did not appear on Twitter this morning...and one product for which the image DID appear....and in both instances, I got the message, "Unable to render Card preview."

The only URL I tested which was validated was the URL for my Swisstoons shop. Soooo...I dunno.
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 12:05:42 PM
What I do is click to share then click post on Twitter. Next I copy the link to the collection that shows up in the post, just the link not the whole post. I then paste it into the Twitter card validator and click preview card. If it says Unable to Render then that means the link isn't working and probably won't work in your post. Sometimes for a single product link you'll get a little image placeholder instead of showing the image. When that happens I just click preview card over until the product image shows up then it usually will show up when I post it to Twitter. I hope I've explained it better this time.
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 12:27:26 PM
Anderson_Designs wrote:
What I do is click to share then click post on Twitter. Next I copy the link to the collection that shows up in the post, just the link not the whole post. I then paste it into the Twitter card validator and click preview card. If it says Unable to Render then that means the link isn't working and probably won't work in your post. Sometimes for a single product link you'll get a little image placeholder instead of showing the image. When that happens I just click preview card over until the product image shows up then it usually will show up when I post it to Twitter. I hope I've explained it better this time.

Yep, that's exactly what I did. But even a collection link which had worked fine this morning did not work when I grabbed it and placed it in the Validator slot. I only grabbed the URL, not the text.
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 2:01:45 PM
It is pretty hit or miss as to whether the collections links will work or not. I guess you just have to hit it at the right time. I have about given up trying to tweet collections because of the uncertainty but every now and then I give it a try to see if it is going to work. At least with the card validator I can see before I bother to post if my collection is going to show or not and decide if it is worth posting without the image.
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 2:48:02 PM
Anderson_Designs wrote:
It is pretty hit or miss as to whether the collections links will work or not. I guess you just have to hit it at the right time. I have about given up trying to tweet collections because of the uncertainty but every now and then I give it a try to see if it is going to work. At least with the card validator I can see before I bother to post if my collection is going to show or not and decide if it is worth posting without the image.

I think we kind of end up in the same place. When I tweet a Z link and the image doesn't show up, I always have the option to delete or keep the image-less tweet.

But now that I think about it, I've also been having Amazon links show up without an image. So, I suspect this is Twitter's way of telling us that if we don't pay, we get third-rate service. We know from recent news reports the way that they "shadow ban" tweets when they feel like it. Usually, they do it for political reasons. But I can't see any reason that they wouldn't pull similar stuff for monetary reasons, too.
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 3:14:40 PM
Swisstoons wrote:
I do almost all my promoting on Twitter. But lately, when I tweet a collection link, the image only pops about half the time. Is this a Zazzle problem...or a Twitter problem?

Anyone else experiencing this?

I stopped trying to post on Twitter because of no images coming up. Just a was of time.

Hope they get this fixed. Sad
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 10:09:38 AM
This is the error message I'm getting from the Twitter Validator for collection URLs when an image won't show up on the Twitter feed:

ERROR: Fetching the page failed because it's denied by robots.txt.

Typically, it then goes on to say "WARN: this card is redirected to..." followed by the product URL minus my rf code.

But this truncated version (when entered into the Validator) returns the same original error message, "ERROR: Fetching the page failed because it's denied by robots.txt."

UPDATE: And yet another discovery. I just attempted to tweet another product. If failed to include the image. So, I deleted that tweet and went and grabbed the URL up at the top of the product page. This time, the image came up perfectly in the tweet. Thing is, this tweet no longer contains my RF code! Since I never...or very RARELY get referral credit, I guess I don't have a lot to lose by using that RF-less URL instead of the one that pops up when I click the Twitter icon on the product page.

UPDATE TO THE UPDATE: But this is not foolproof either. It's like Russian roulette. Hit or miss. Unbelievable.
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2018 10:52:00 AM
It's been same here too and I contacted zazzle tech support and still waiting for final resolution. They've said couple times so far they're working on it.
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2018 10:54:29 AM
Hoping they get issue fixed soon because it's frustrating to know losing money because numerous posts to Twitter I'm doing only go to home page instead of product clicking on
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2018 11:52:16 AM
This has been going on for a long time now, there used to be a sticky post I thought but I don't see it now. I just resigned myself that collections and Twitter don't mix. I wish they would fix it too!
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 9:51:01 AM
Known issue folks, hang in there! We'll keep you posted.
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2018 10:14:42 AM
I'm being told that this was an issue on Twitter's end, and it should be fixed now.
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 12:36:51 PM
It is not fixed. I tried to share a collection today to twitter and there was no picture.
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 3:09:33 PM
Nope, still not working. I just now tried one in the Twitter Card Validator and got this error:
"ERROR: Fetching the page failed because it's denied by robots.txt.
WARN: this card is redirected to https://www.zazzle.com/collections/cardinal_hummingbird_floral_fashion-119812494954944039"

That's the same type of error that it always shows.
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2018 1:17:16 PM
wow! I'm having the same issues with Facebook, and a friend is having those issues with Pinterest. Sometimes the pictures post, and sometimes they don't. What I usually do is delete the post right away if the pictures didn't post. I try again, and if the pictures didn't post the second time, I try a third time but include a screenshot of the image of the product or products. It happens not just with collections but was single products sharing, also. This can't be an issue on Twitter's end.
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2018 7:30:46 AM
Hi! I experienced the same problem on Twitter. No picture for collections. The card validator says the same thing to me too: "ERROR: Fetching the page failed because it's denied by robots.txt."
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2018 1:38:28 PM
JennLenayDesigns wrote:
Hoping they get issue fixed soon because it's frustrating to know losing money because numerous posts to Twitter I'm doing only go to home page instead of product clicking on

Does it go to your store homepage or to Zazzle's homepage?