Business Cards not rendering image size properly
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2019 2:05:55 PM
Ok so you place an image to fill the mighty size biz card.. 3.5 inches wide 2.5 inches tall - you would expect it to remain filled when you choose the square which is 2.5 inches tall and 2.5 inches wide.. same height but no.. it crops the top not allowing it to fill the height... WHY? by rights it absolutely should..
IN Addition if I try to size the image to the square 2.5 x2.5 to fill when I look at the product page to see the mighty size biz card it defaults to the vertical placement instead of the horizontal which I chose to begin with - This is a mess. and takes so long to get anything correct.
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2019 2:24:28 PM
EleganceUnlimited wrote:
Ok so you place an image to fill the mighty size biz card.. 3.5 inches wide 2.5 inches tall - you would expect it to remain filled when you choose the square which is 2.5 inches tall and 2.5 inches wide.. same height but no.. it crops the top not allowing it to fill the height... WHY? by rights it absolutely should.
Ah, yes, assumptions are fun.

Why are you assuming that an image would behave in a certain way when changing the aspect ratio of a product?

I do sort of agree with what you're saying - "I clicked on the 'fill' option and when I change product options it now resembles 'fit.'" In reality, there's some rather complex logic that's used to determine how a certain products (and their images and text) will appear after the design size changes dramatically. In most cases, it's best to scale all objects down a bit to ensure that all of the text and images are still visible on the smaller (square) aspect ratio.

I will mention this to some of the engineers to see what their thoughts are, but in general I think the current implementation is correct. Yes, it's not what some would expect, but given that you're dramatically changing the aspect ratio I think 99% of the time you'll need to rearrange all of the images and text fields anyways.
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2019 2:43:09 PM
I am Assuming that when I suggest the size of an image should fill a large product space it will also fill a smaller one.. (or else it defeats the purpose of "fill") ... like it does in every other product zazzle offers with this choice. ;) or we would have to design for each and every size pillow, throw, or any product with a fill option - when you choose to fill you choose to fill Period..

the height is the height.. should have nothing to do with ratio.. really

and why are my cards defaulting to the vertical choice and not the horizontal which is what was intended?

OK after looking at this on numerous examples.. I believe the coding for the fit/fill is incorrect for the square.. all other examples work fine on a large variety of business cards and the idea was to create a card that no matter which size the customer chose it would look fine if you did indeed use the fill option.. but the 2.5x2.5 is the only one that is using fit instead of fill for the design base. IMHO then if this is the way it will be.. zazzle needs to remove the option for square 2.5x2.5 from the existing sizes since all of the others will accommodate the designs except the square.. or at least give the designer a choice to allow all sizes except square and if we want to design specifically for square.. to do so on it's own.. since this current zazzle design tool code will not allow the designs to work across the board.

Quote:
Although this is for a different zazzle application it still explains how fit and fill works and this is the way it should work in the 2.5x2.5 square biz card situation that I am trying to tell you is not working properly

https://help.zazzle.com/hc/en-us/articles/229325887-Designing-for-Holiday-Cards-Using-Fit-Fill-