Search

Results
Topic: Judy
Steve Crompton Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 3:21:35 AM
roykronk wrote:
Steve Crompton wrote:
@Roy,

I didn't realise you were talking of an actual error you're getting - sorry!

First off, what size is your image (pixel dimensions) and what is the product which is giving the error.

Steve.

That's what OP is talking about:

Jim wrote:
I am trying to set up my first product, a canvas and I am not doing something right. I looked at the guide files but everything is removed. I currently have the image saved at 100ppi but when I use the tool to get it to fill the canvas I get a warning that I have to fix the error. The image itself is approximately 12 inches by 12 inches.

Also, can I use the same size image for any of the canvas sizes?

It may be the PPI matters and may just be that she or he is trying to use a 6x6 image on a 12x12 canvas. I don't know.

The last time I got the nuisance error, was using a 8100x5400, 150 DPI image straight out of my Canon 70D on a custom canvas order. I don't recall the size right now, but I was stumped. No way I should've been warned. I opened it in PS, increased my DPI (yes, I know, not PPI), and it was fine, and he loved the canvas.

Again, my only point is that it's the programming that matters more than anything (my opinion) - whatever Zazzle's programming says will work, will work, whether it makes sense to me and whether OP's PPI is 10 or 1000.

Ok, I see.
Without knowing what size canvas the OP was trying to create it's pretty much impossible to make a judgement..."If you're getting a warning that the image isn't large enough then you need to choose a smaller canvas or upload a larger image" was about the best I could do without more info.

Personally I can't remember having any nasty surprises where the error message is concerned.
EDIT: This is not actually true, I tried once (or twice) to make a binder. There is (or was) something odd about the binders.

Steve.
Steve Crompton Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 7:29:19 PM
@Roy,

I didn't realise you were talking of an actual error you're getting - sorry!

First off, what size is your image (pixel dimensions) and what is the product which is giving the error.

Steve.

EDIT: I'll check back tomorrow, I've just noticed it's 4:35 AM here!
Steve Crompton Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 7:14:44 PM
Jerry wrote:
my point is that if you are creating a graphic in photoshop you are going to want to create it at 300 ppi, going beyond 300 ppi is probably pointless but if you create the graphic at say 150 ppi, then just like a photograph it is stuck at a maximum resolution. that means you won't be able to blow that graphic image up for larger products, like the throw blankets for example, without it looking blurred

The problem (and misunderstanding) in this statement is that you're talking about the ppi of the image with no reference at all the the overall dimensions of the image - it's the latter which matters.
I'm lucky enough to have access to Cinema 4D for some of my 3D work and it has the curious habit of rendering images at 150ppi regardless of what the settings indicate. I pay no heed to that because all I'm interested in are the overall dimensions, where pixels are concerned all I want to know is how many pixels, not how many pixels per inch.
As for those two links being about photography, it doesn't matter that they're both photo based they're about bitmap digital images and its the same for a bitmap image produced in Photoshop from a blank canvas.

Steve.
Steve Crompton Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 6:21:22 PM
roykronk wrote:
For the spinning heads in the room, my bottom line is that if Zazzle's settings are such that an image, whether 72 or 300 dpi/ppi/tmi/whatever image will throw an error, I'm going to adjust my file. It doesn't matter at that point whether size matters. ;) It matters what Zazzle dictates, in their sole opinion, will produce a nice looking canvas someone is proud to have on their wall

The ppi of an image doesn't cause errors on Zazzle though. My images vary according to how they were produced, they get mixed together in designs without issue. I basically pay little attention to the ppi of my images because it makes no difference.

Steve.
Steve Crompton Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 5:48:02 PM
Here's a couple of links;

http://www.rideau-info.com/photos/mythdpi.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfhdYd8hBRY

Those are just a couple from a web search of '300dpi quality myth'
The first one is the same one Oconnart posted on one of the previous occasions when this came up.
There are a large number of results for '300dpi quality myth' dating back to who knows when as countless people have tried to lay this ghost to rest over the years.

Steve.