Search

Results
Topic: General Chit Chat Community Thread
Starving Artist Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 10:05:22 PM
Colorwash wrote:
New Subject:

I'm always on to the next thing, and currently it's making hard candy, which is fairly easy and quick, but the one difficulty is in obtaining true, recognizable flavors. The extracts on the supermarket shelves are good for cake, not very good for candy.

So, do any of you make candy, and if so, have you found a solution to the flavor problem? I see (very expensive) flavor oils online that are supposedly for candy, but I've no idea how good they are and if they're worth it.

All answers, be they good or weird, will be appreciated.

Colorwash - so here's a weird suggestion: have you tried alcohol? I have made 'Fireball' hard candy lollipops and they had a delicious cinnamon flavor...I also have made tequila-lime (using both the alcohol and fresh lime) and it made a nice lime flavor. Oh, and I made 'Sailor Jerry's' spiced rum candies, too. Of course, the alcohol burns off mostly, so the candy is not going to get anyone sloshed. But there are some nice, different flavors out there that might be fun to try - Chambord (for raspberry flavor), or pineapple vodka, that kind of thing.

Just a thought!
Colorwash wrote:
New Subject:

I'm always on to the next thing, and currently it's making hard candy, which is fairly easy and quick, but the one difficulty is in obtaining true, recognizable flavors. The extracts on the supermarket shelves are good for cake, not very good for candy.

So, do any of you make candy, and if so, have you found a solution to the flavor problem? I see (very expensive) flavor oils online that are supposedly for candy, but I've no idea how good they are and if they're worth it.

Colorwash - so here's a weird suggestion: have you tried alcohol? I have made 'Fireball' hard candy lollipops and they had a delicious cinnamon flavor...I also have made tequila-lime (using both the alcohol and fresh lime) and it made a nice lime flavor. Oh, and I made 'Sailor Jerry's' spiced rum candies, too. Of course, the alcohol burns off mostly, so the candy is not going to get anyone sloshed. But there are some nice, different flavors out there that might be fun to try - Chambord (for raspberry flavor), or pineapple vodka, that kind of thing.

Just a thought!
Colorwash wrote:
New Subject:

Just a thought!
Topic: Show us your new calendars
Starving Artist Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2019 10:09:35 PM

Topic: Show us your new calendars
Starving Artist Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2019 10:09:35 PM