Search

Results
Topic: Greeting card change of type
Col's Creations Posted: Monday, November 18, 2019 4:13:46 PM
Colorwash wrote:
I'm not sure, but I think it may be locked into the type of blank we initially chose without realizing the consequences.

Yep. The type of blank you choose - even if the exact same thing just classified/named different by Zazzle - also determines which sales your card will be included in. I learned that the hard way.
Topic: Thinking it's time for a new list of folks who want to be promoted
Col's Creations Posted: Monday, November 18, 2019 4:04:00 PM
Here and staying: zazzle.com/store/colscreations
Bright, colorful, designs that make me happy, 100% by me (no stock/purchased imagery involved)
Topic: Did you fall into the paint pot today?
Col's Creations Posted: Monday, November 18, 2019 4:00:01 AM
Ditto, it looks great! We need more of these backgrounds with eye-popping color instead of the usual white/gray. (And the top bar that was a blue so many hated did indeed change color to match the current theme/color scheme.)
Roses
Topic: Did you fall into the paint pot today?
Col's Creations Posted: Monday, November 18, 2019 4:00:01 AM
Ditto, it looks great! We need more of these backgrounds with eye-popping color instead of the usual white/gray. (And the top bar that was a blue so many hated did indeed change color to match the current theme/color scheme.)
Roses
Topic: James' announcement in News Forum 11/13/19 10:46 pm
Col's Creations Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 7:29:49 PM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
But, again, I could be wrong, and since we are, again, left to our own devices here without explanations related to endeavors that affect us, that's all I've got.

I think Zazzle has added so many things all of which are intertwined that they themselves are struggling to be consistent with the terminology they use for things that may not even have an official name.

We have this from James which is a clarification of 1.2 of the User Agreement:
Quote:
Zazzle has added three new definitions in Section 1.2 to help distinguish how the different publishing methods inform what can be done with your Content on Products (digital or physical).
Post for Sale” is our historical method of publishing physical Products to the Marketplace.
Post for Download” will now be used to publish Digital Designs into Create.
Post for Use” will now be used to publish Secondary Content that can be accessed via our Zazzle Design Tool and then either be downloaded via Create or purchased via the Marketplace.

That tells us there will be three distinct options for submitting works for public consumption.
"Post for Sale" is pretty clear.
"Post for Download seems clear - these are works that can be downloaded from Create for free by anyone and used in any fashion thus they are calling them 'Digital Designs'. In my mind, these would be the templates (composite designs users can customize rather than individual elements) - where a user can only use one per project. (If the work is added to a product blank and purchased, I would assume the designer then earns some type of royalty.)
"Post for Use" defines itself above as specifically being Secondary Content, the very wording of such above making it something separate and apart from the aforementioned Digital Designs. In my mind, these Secondary Designs are the individual elements users can add more than one of to a project. BUT they will be available in both the Marketplace tool where they can be added to any existing physical product design wherein a royalty share is earned, and in Create wherein the user can incorporate them into their free digital download project. So it would be more aptly named "Post for Use + Download". I am wondering how many people who are considering doing Secondary Content for the Marketplace as a way to maybe make some extra $ realize that doing so also makes whatever they submit that way ("Post for Use") open to free download & unrestricted use as well.

And then we have this: (Source)
Quote:
Zazzle Create & Royalties:
* We’ve been working with a test group of Designers to populate the Create design tool with Digital Designs and Secondary Content.
* We will be expanding the number of Designers who can contribute to the Zazzle Create design tool in the near future. If you’d like to be a part of this opportunity, please apply here.
* Digital Content is free for users to download, but every Designer who contributed to a design that is featured on a physical Product will receive compensation.

which again tells us that Digital Designs and Secondary Content are two different things but fails to mention that Secondary Content will also be available for use on Marketplace products as we learned from the first quoted passage. The first two bullet points explicitly refer only to the Create design tool, so I would assume the third bullet point does too meaning if your submission to Create is used on a blank physical product and purchased, you are compensated in some way. But here they switch from saying "Digital Designs" to "Digital Content" which throws a wrench into comprehending whatthehay they really mean.

And then we have this: (Source)
Quote:
Such changes may include the addition of Content contributed by the User ("User Content") or Content “Posted for Use” by other Designers and offered in Zazzle’s Design Tool(s) ("Secondary Content"). Composite designs and associated metadata that: (i) are published by Designers (i.e., not contributed by Zazzle) using our “Post for Download” or “Post for Sale” workflows, and (ii) associated with a Product type (e.g., t-shirt, Facebook® banner, tote bag, etc.), are "Primary Content." Primary Content published by a Designer as “Post for Sale” will not be available as downloadable Content unless the Designer also chooses to publish that Primary Content as “Post for Download.”

which I think translates to:
Quote:
... or Secondary Content “Posted for Use” by other designers.

Composite designs published by Designers using “Post for Download” and associated with a specific Product type (e.g., Facebook® banner, Instagram post, etc.) are considered Primary Designs.

Composite designs published by Designers using “Post for Sale” and associated with a specific Product type (e.g., t-shirt, tote bag, etc.) are considered Primary Designs.

Primary Designs published by a Designer as “Post for Sale” will not be available as downloadable Content unless the Designer also chooses to publish that Primary Design as “Post for Download.”

which I think confirms that
1) "Post for Use" is Secondary Content (individual design elements that can be added to both Create and Marketplace products)
2) "Post for Download" is Digital Designs (composite templates for Create)

I am convinced that Secondary Content (which will reduce Primary Designer's royalties) and Digital Designs (which won't) are two separate things and that a designer (which currently is just a select few) can choose to do one or the other or both or neither. Which means someone can be both a Create Designer and a Secondary Content Designer but just because they are providing Create templates (Digital Designs) doesn't mean they are also choosing to provide Secondary Content. And it's only the latter I take issue with. Once everything comes out in the wash that might change but based on the limited info we have to interpret on our own I'm not comfortable lumping all Create Designers into the same negative sphere.

And that's all I've got.