Search

Results
Topic: Stadium Seat Cushion Official Tips & Tricks Thread
ColeenZ Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 6:59:05 AM
northwestphotos wrote:
It's too bad these have to be called Stadium Seat Cushions. They are not really cushions in the real sense of the word, and not just for stadium seats. The first thing I thought of when seeing these would be for a kneeling pad for gardening and household chores and other jobs that require extended kneeling. This is what most stores and garden shops sell them for. The existing title may put off some customers. Just my opinion.

Agreed! They're a gardening kneeler, not anything close to what I consider a "stadium seat".
Topic: Tags Questions
ColeenZ Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 6:39:23 AM
ZingerBug wrote:
Has anybody experienced any change in sales after changing tags one way or another?

I have a return address label design that had sold six times, the last time being in Aug of 2018. Sometime in the last month I was doing some behind-the-scenes tidying up and changed the title & tags for that product. And it suddenly sold two more times, once on 5/6 and again on 5/19. Coincidence? I don't know. But since we can edit tags & titles as often as we want, it surely doesn't hurt to change them up once in a while.
Topic: Tags Questions
ColeenZ Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 6:29:28 AM
ZingerBug wrote:
And unless their search algorithm is breaking up those phrases, you won't get a match unless someone searches for that exact phrase. So if my tag is "gold sparkles wedding seating chart" and someone searches for ""gold sparkles wedding seating chart"" it's not a match and I won't show up. But if my tag is "wedding seating chart" then it is a match. So... gah! I'm still not sure what to do.

Searching for "gold sparkles wedding seating chart" (in quotes as an exact phrase) produces 33,391 results. Which is impossible to believe there are that many products using that EXACT phrase as a tag.

In the default sort order of Popular, the #1 result is under
Crafts & Party Supplies > Party Supplies > Décor > Signs > Banners
and has
- "gold" and "sparkles" in the Title
- "gold" and "sparkles" in the Description
- "gold", "sparkle", and "wedding" in the Tags
"seating" and "chart" appear nowhere, and nowhere does the above appear as an exact phrase.

The #2 result is under
Weddings > Invitations & Stationery > Wedding Invitations
and has
- "sparkling" and "wedding" in the Title
- "sparkling" and "wedding" in the Description
- "sparkle" in the Tags
"gold", "seating" and "chart" appear nowhere, and nowhere does the above appear as an exact phrase.

The #3 result is under
Crafts & Party Supplies > Party Supplies > Tableware >Paper & Party Plates
and has
- "gold" and "sparkle" in the Title
- "gold", "sparkle" and "wedding" in the Description
- "gold", "sparkle" and "wedding" in the Tags
"seating" and "chart" appear nowhere, and nowhere does the above appear as an exact phrase.

If you search again but without the quotes [gold sparkles wedding seating chart] you now only get 68 results.

The #1 result is under
Weddings > Décor & Party Supplies > Décor > Wedding Signs > Seating Charts
and has
- "gold" and "seating chart" in the Title
- "gold", "seating chart", "sparkling" and "wedding" in the Description
- "seating chart" occurs numerous times in the Tags including "gold wedding seating chart" and "gold sparkle seating chart".

The #2 result is under
and has
- "gold" and "seating chart" in the Title
- "gold", "seating chart" and "wedding" in the Description
- "seating chart", "gold", "sparkle" and "wedding" in the Tags.

The #3 result is under
and has
- "gold", "wedding" and "seating chart" in the Title
- "gold wedding seating chart" and "gold sparkle" in the Description
- "seating chart", "wedding" and "gold sparkle" in the Tags.

In a traditional search, enclosing words in quotes is telling the search engine to find pages that include all of those words in that precise order - an exact phrase. Without quotes, it's looking for pages that contain all of those words regardless of where or whether they are immediately consecutive with each other, though preference is given to results where the words appear on the page in the same order they were entered in the search. So even without using quotes while searching, results that come closest to having those words as the exact "phrase" you entered are going to be higher in the results.
Zazzle's in-house search engine is obviously doing its own thing - we've known that for a long time - but it is surprising to me that in the above example removing the quotes actually produces results closer to an exact phrase then using quotes!

It is hard to decide on "good" tags to use when there is no clear, definitive methodology to the madness, so yeah, you just have to go with your gut but it's also very helpful to conduct your own "research" by searching your own tags/phrases and adjusting them accordingly.
Topic: related searches
ColeenZ Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 5:30:53 AM
I just noticed this yesterday while scrolling to the bottom of product pages to look at the tags used in some search results:

(In this example I searched for [cute kitten flowers] and clicked on the first result which happened to be a postcard.)

I don't remember ever seeing this before, maybe I just never noticed it before or maybe it's something new, or maybe it's something old they've brought back. But maybe this is the "related searches" the OP is asking about?
Topic: What department should my stickers be in?
ColeenZ Posted: Friday, May 10, 2019 6:18:17 AM
Stickers are an odd bird for sure. If I were a shopper browsing by category rather than searching by keyword, it would never occur to me to look in Crafts & Party Supplies if I was looking for a Sticker section. In my mind, they would go in a sub under Office & School Supplies. I associate stickers with school-aged people putting them on their binders (do kids even still use binders these day?) and lockers, and teachers putting them on assignments being returned. The other most common uses for stickers (in my mind) are people in general using them to decorate packages they are mailing, and their use in the workplace to label & colorcode everything from file folders to stock inventory.

For the few stickers I've made, I think I chose "Crafts & Party Supplies > Gift Wrapping Supplies > Stickers & Labels".
I sure wish they would add a Stickers & Labels category to the main Office vertical and then break that down into usage types likes "Mailing", Business", "School", "Scrapbooking", "General". Right now stickers are spread out in

Office - Office & School Supplies - Labels
Office - Small Business Supplies - Displays & Packaging - Product Labels
Office - Small Business Supplies - Displays & Packaging - Shipping Labels
Home - Crafts & Party Supplies - Gift Wrapping - Stickers & Labels
Home - Crafts & Party Supplies - Crafting - Scrapbooking Supplies - Stickers
Weddings - Favors & Gifts - Favors & Packaging - Stickers
Weddings - Invitations & Stationary - Mailing Accessories - Return Address Labels

And that doesn't include food & drink labels and bumper stickers and maybe other buried sub-sub categories I've overlooked. It would sure be nice, for designers and customers both, to have one main Sticker & Label category to get everything in one place and then break it down from there.