Search

Results
Topic: Zazzle Ideas Blog
Jerry Lambert Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2019 9:49:15 PM
Invincible Penguin wrote:
Hmmm - I checked out the business card blog posts there was one with all feminine names... and two that featured only a single card, but in the others I also found these neutral names Lee, Ainsely, Skylar, Alex, Taylor, Kelsey and Piper as far as generally male names, I also spied a Nick (twice), Michael (twice), John, James and Tony

I did spot Nick at first, now I do see Michael, James and Tony there at the bottom. I guess I didn't make it that far. To be fair, I also remember an Archie somewhere.

I like the gender neutral names but I have never heard of a boy named Piper. I've never heard the name Ainsely at all but assumed it was feminine considering the hot pink business card it is featured on. James is gender neutral though. There is James King and also Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds named their daughter James. Michael is gender neutral. Michael Learned for example and also Michael Steele, the bass player for The Bangles and The Runaways. I have a female friend named Tony. But now I am just reaching, lol.

Fun Fact: The first Jerry I ever met that wasn't me was a girl in 2nd grade. Then I met Jerry Clower at an Opry on the Road event that my Dad was heading security for. Since then I have met lots of people named Jerry.

Gender neutral is better than one gender being predominant but featured design styles and themes matter too.

yeah, sorry Susannah if I caused a threadjacking.

On the OP, the section is well done. I just couldn't help but notice the gender imbalance. Perhaps the pink highlight that the theme uses makes it stand out a little more.

I love Zazzle and their team is very talented. I really don't mean to disparage anyone who works on the platform. It's just that I have always felt included and even at home on the platform until recently. I'm beginning to wonder if I even belong here and that 'Ideas' section brilliantly displays the reason why that is.

Jerry Lambert Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2019 10:33:23 AM
igiftcenter wrote:
Women are the power buyers worldwide.
This is not a new concept lol

I respectfully disagree. Perhaps at one time this was true but not in the era of the internet. Everyone shops online. As I stated before, my business data confirms this and my personal experience supports it.
The_Simple_Succulent wrote:
My statements weren't meant to come off as personal attacks, just more of a reflection on biases we may have.

I didn't take it personally. I understand that in the current social climate words are often misinterpreted. So, if anything, you gave me the opportunity to clarify my statements.
Of course I would like to see a more balanced display but I'm sure Zazzle has found and will find what works best for them

IMHO Zazzle should find what works for everyone. Designers are just as important as the platform, perhaps even more so.
But I don't think being female oriented qualifies as anti-male.

That was a question, not a statement, and a two-parter at that.
"Has Zazzle become anti-male? Or are they now the POD equivalent of Marie Claire or Cosmopolitan?"
I personally don't believe that Z is anti-male. I do think that it is a fair question.
MarBethHomeDecor wrote:

As to the marketing and the ideas blog. I have always wished that Zazzle would market broader but they look at their numbers and make their choices for reasons they see. I just wonder why design something like car mats if Zazzle is going to market that they have them.

Exactly. We offer products for everyone here. I thought that the glass pint and shot glasses would be huge sellers but Zazzle hasn't really showcased them. Apparel has taken a backseat with its limited offerings since before the holidays. It seems like tunnel vision to me. POD platforms should not be niche. It's so limiting. Zazzle offers a potpourri of products with designs that appeal to all shoppers. Why they don't take advantage of that is a huge mystery to me.
igiftcenter wrote:

I respectfully disagree. Perhaps at one time this was true but not in the era of the internet. Everyone shops online. As I stated before, my business data confirms this and my personal experience supports it.
My statements weren't meant to come off as personal attacks, just more of a reflection on biases we may have.

I didn't take it personally. I understand that in the current social climate words are often misinterpreted. So, if anything, you gave me the opportunity to clarify my statements.
Of course I would like to see a more balanced display but I'm sure Zazzle has found and will find what works best for them

IMHO Zazzle should find what works for everyone. Designers are just as important as the platform, perhaps even more so.

"Has Zazzle become anti-male? Or are they now the POD equivalent of Marie Claire or Cosmopolitan?"
I personally don't believe that Z is anti-male. I do think that it is a fair question.
MarBethHomeDecor wrote:

As to the marketing and the ideas blog. I have always wished that Zazzle would market broader but they look at their numbers and make their choices for reasons they see. I just wonder why design something like car mats if Zazzle is going to market that they have them.

Exactly. We offer products for everyone here. I thought that the glass pint and shot glasses would be huge sellers but Zazzle hasn't really showcased them. Apparel has taken a backseat with its limited offerings since before the holidays. It seems like tunnel vision to me. POD platforms should not be niche. It's so limiting. Zazzle offers a potpourri of products with designs that appeal to all shoppers. Why they don't take advantage of that is a huge mystery to me.
igiftcenter wrote:

MarBethHomeDecor wrote:

igiftcenter wrote:

MarBethHomeDecor wrote: