Search

Results
Topic: New store ThisTractions
Sonja Quidama Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 11:43:49 AM
Looking at your shop, I see Chevy, Rolling Stones, PacMan, Nike, "Reed Between the Lines" etc. Unless you have very specific written permission to use their IP (intellectual property), you're setting yourself up for real trouble. Is it worth the risk?

Images and the text associated with them (tags, titles, description) are all subject to IP protection.

Before you go any further, I'd recommend reading up on copyright and trademark issues. Tutor * has some good info that might be helpful to start.

http://tutor*.com/legal/content.htm

Good luck to you.

ETA- not sure why the name and link are *, but there are lots of other good IP educational resources out there.
Topic: If you want affiliates...
Sonja Quidama Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2017 8:05:29 AM
So much good info here and lots of reminders about how much work I need to do. Even as a longer-term designer here, my to-do list never ends, and it's good to have some reminders - thanks!

This, though?!
Quote:
"Yes! If a person can't spell, and even if it's a text template, I leave. We can misspell all we want here on the forums, but on a product meant to be sold? Arrgggh!"

I agree wholeheartedly, but this sent shudders down my spine. One of my very first products sold was a beautiful beach sunset photo postcard where I had carefully sized, cropped, and positioned it perfectly. I added the text and meticulously checked, double- and triple-checked to make sure it was template text.

I got the "sold" email and clicked on it and OMG Shocked It said "Calilfornia"

D'OH! I was (and still am) mortified Laughing
Topic: Rejected Products
Sonja Quidama Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2016 5:35:06 PM
Heraldik wrote:
Scott wrote:
Heraldik - which products of yours were rejected? Was it a Zippo or a stamp or shirt or mug or...?

Nothing from this store. And no it's not a zippo. Another store that I just started for the Flying Spaghetti Monster. And maybe other readers can help me with this. I might have missed something some how.

For those of you that don't know, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is a made up religion. A parody. It's been said on the internet for years now. It's about as common as tacocat or any other internet phenomenon. No one owns the rights to the idea of it, because not one person came up with it. It's a collective.

Now there is an image that I copied the basic form of to make my own version. It's pretty similar, just more cartoonish. But that image is public domain. I got it from wikipedia. It says the following:

"This work has been released into the public domain by its author, Niklas Jansson. This applies worldwide.

Niklas Jansson grants anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law."

So I'm lost on why those products were removed. No one owns the idea of Flying Spaghetti Monster and the iamge I used is released to the public by it's creator.

One of my products that got rejected was simply letters that I created with the zazzle template. It was "WWFSMD?"

Did a search on http://www.copyright.gov/records/

No one owns "flying spaghetti monster"
No one owns "the flying spaghetti monster"
No one owns "flying spaghetti"
No one owns "spaghetti monster"
No one owns "wwfsmd"

So there is no reason that I can see for the products to be removed.

My bet is that it's the "cartoonish' aspect of the design and/or that got it rejected.
https://help.zazzle.com/hc/en-us/articles/227351367-Review-Policy-for-Custom-Zippo-Lighters
Topic: Text Color and Background Color for "Custom Color" Products
Sonja Quidama Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2016 9:09:19 AM
+1 or even +1000!
Topic: Looking for Halloween, Celtic goth, pagan, fall, and abstract patterned products to link to
Sonja Quidama Posted: Monday, October 24, 2016 5:37:28 AM
Thanks for the opportunity!