Search

Results
Topic: Zazzle Ideas Blog
Susannah Keegan Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2019 2:58:40 PM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:
MarBethHomeDecor wrote:
I believe diversity in marketing and in the people working on the marketing is a good thing but maybe Zazzle's numbers don't support it or maybe their numbers are skewed by "self-fulfilling prophecy."

I think the latter; the more a place like this limits the visibility of its diversity, the less diverse of a place it will become.

ETA: Apologies to Susannah for hijacking the thread. I haven't looked at the blog in question - didn't know it existed.

I blithely started the thread in the spirit of sharing a discovery (well, new to me at least) but as the thread progressed I realized I hadn't looked at it all that closely and missed the gender unbalanced subtext Jerry saw. I expect wedding marketing to be marketed squarely and nearly exclusively at women. But the business card market is gender neutral. I noticed and appreciated the advice on pairing fonts and choosing colors etc. but missed the subtext Jerry got in having only women's names on the product sample photos. I had to double back and look again and sure enough, only women's names in this gender neutral department.
Susannah Keegan Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2019 2:58:40 PM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:
MarBethHomeDecor wrote:
I believe diversity in marketing and in the people working on the marketing is a good thing but maybe Zazzle's numbers don't support it or maybe their numbers are skewed by "self-fulfilling prophecy."

I think the latter; the more a place like this limits the visibility of its diversity, the less diverse of a place it will become.

ETA: Apologies to Susannah for hijacking the thread. I haven't looked at the blog in question - didn't know it existed.

I blithely started the thread in the spirit of sharing a discovery (well, new to me at least) but as the thread progressed I realized I hadn't looked at it all that closely and missed the gender unbalanced subtext Jerry saw. I expect wedding marketing to be marketed squarely and nearly exclusively at women. But the business card market is gender neutral. I noticed and appreciated the advice on pairing fonts and choosing colors etc. but missed the subtext Jerry got in having only women's names on the product sample photos. I had to double back and look again and sure enough, only women's names in this gender neutral department.
Susannah Keegan Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2019 12:45:02 PM
Jerry Lambert wrote:

Has Zazzle become anti-male? Or are they now the POD equivalent of Marie Claire or Cosmopolitan?

Maybe men could get their own 'Ideas' section as well?

I would say they are currently the POD equivalent of The Knot (wedding magazine) and Parenting magazine with a side of Marie Claire. It's the inevitable skew from going hard with a wedding department and baby/kids department plus so many products for hosting parties (usually planned by women).

As you noted, there is only one man (although "Zazzle Contributor" might be a man, it's so anonymous) and he is writing only the articles for the tech section.

There is the potential to add Fast Company to the roster of POD=magazine lineup if they went as hard for their small business department as they do for weddings. But so far it seems only business cards get love.

I hope they bring in some gender balance and not just have Tech be the men's space. Your example of template names is a good example. Mixing in some Jonathans with the Jennifers would be good. I try to make a mix when doing template text on products.
Susannah Keegan Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2019 2:06:52 AM
Has the Zazzle Ideas blog (far right of top bar) been there for months? I only noticed it a week or so ago but it had articles dating back to this January. And those articles didn't seem to overlap with the infrequently updated blog that they already have going.

It's a brilliant marketing thing. They write narratives about what you could do with various Zazzle products with embedded links to those departments. I went through it looking for information I could use and found they had written a bunch of articles aimed at customers making their own designs but good info for a designer too. One article gives guidelines for mixing fonts. Another points to public domain resources. Another is a guide to choosing colors for business cards etc.
Topic: Has anyone seen an increase in sales after redoing tags, titles, and descriptions?
Susannah Keegan Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2019 1:42:09 AM
mylittleedenweddings wrote:
I am working through my stores cleaning out and updating older products etc. After I went to all this trouble my rank dropped from 7 to 5 on both my stores I was so upset as I have been painting and adding so many new unique art designs too Crying

Hmmmm……… I have seen people say this multiple times in multiple threads. "I did X (large updating project) and my Zrank dropped." I have come to the conclusion that the Zazzle bots react negatively to large changes in stores regardless of what those changes are. To that end I do changes only in small, incremental steps (a few products a day) so as not to trigger the bot.

I know this thread is about positive changes from updates but is negative change from doing the updates in a short major overhaul a real thing? It does seem to pop up in threads.