Search

Results
Topic: Behind a mask - a fervent wish
Tabz Jones Posted: Friday, December 06, 2019 5:37:12 AM
Colorwash wrote:
Assuming something didn't change when you made it direct-only, then it turns out what you created was an overlay, which is like the kind of face mask someone might wear to a costume party. Unfortunately, and because the same word is used, the type of mask used in image editors like Photoshop is confusing. It's like a piece of magic when first seen. There are two types, but the easier one to imagine is the black-and-white mask...

Say your create a totally white graphic. Then in the middle of it, you create a black circle. You place this graphic over two photo layers. Designating this graphic as a mask, what happens is that the white part (the circle) "sees" what's beneath it, which is the photo in the first layer. The black circle doesn't see the first photo at all. It drills right through it, seeing the second photo in the bottom layer instead.

If we had masking in Zazzle, we could use it to create photo shapes other than rectangular ones. We could create circular photos or, say, a baby in a star or cloud or whatever.

Masking, by the way, isn't easy to understand when it's first seen, and so my above explanation may read like instructions written in Martian. When I first encountered the concept, I certainly thought it was Martian.

I get it. Unfortunately, I think basic framing is as close as it can get, for now. I can imagine that coding for true masking would be a nightmare on a site this size with the customization variables already in use. I know I wouldn't want to attempt it. Smile
Tabz Jones Posted: Friday, December 06, 2019 5:37:12 AM
Colorwash wrote:
Assuming something didn't change when you made it direct-only, then it turns out what you created was an overlay, which is like the kind of face mask someone might wear to a costume party. Unfortunately, and because the same word is used, the type of mask used in image editors like Photoshop is confusing. It's like a piece of magic when first seen. There are two types, but the easier one to imagine is the black-and-white mask...

Say your create a totally white graphic. Then in the middle of it, you create a black circle. You place this graphic over two photo layers. Designating this graphic as a mask, what happens is that the white part (the circle) "sees" what's beneath it, which is the photo in the first layer. The black circle doesn't see the first photo at all. It drills right through it, seeing the second photo in the bottom layer instead.

If we had masking in Zazzle, we could use it to create photo shapes other than rectangular ones. We could create circular photos or, say, a baby in a star or cloud or whatever.

Masking, by the way, isn't easy to understand when it's first seen, and so my above explanation may read like instructions written in Martian. When I first encountered the concept, I certainly thought it was Martian.

I get it. Unfortunately, I think basic framing is as close as it can get, for now. I can imagine that coding for true masking would be a nightmare on a site this size with the customization variables already in use. I know I wouldn't want to attempt it. Smile
Tabz Jones Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2019 8:13:14 PM
Colorwash wrote:
Tabz Jones wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
I placed a simple heart in the middle of a postcard, set it as a template, and tried to replace it with another image. The image showed up as a square, which I expected, but I wanted to make absolutely sure. For it to work, the heart would have to be an actual shape, not just height and width.

To those in tech: Are masks at all a possibility, or should I stop wishing for them?

We used have this ability wayyyyy back in the day. We had a "merch" tool that was the precursor to QC. It had masked such as grunge frames, shapes, etc. I may have a few products hidden somewhere. Let me see if I can find an image:

EDIT:

It gave some interesting results.

Shoot. I clicked on the product so I could see how it was put together, but clicking throws an error. Is it hidden?

It was, I apologize. It's set to direct only now. I did try to transfer it to another shirt. It only works on light colors, no underlay. Even with "make whites transparent" selected.

Tabz Jones Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2019 8:13:14 PM
Colorwash wrote:
Tabz Jones wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
I placed a simple heart in the middle of a postcard, set it as a template, and tried to replace it with another image. The image showed up as a square, which I expected, but I wanted to make absolutely sure. For it to work, the heart would have to be an actual shape, not just height and width.

To those in tech: Are masks at all a possibility, or should I stop wishing for them?

We used have this ability wayyyyy back in the day. We had a "merch" tool that was the precursor to QC. It had masked such as grunge frames, shapes, etc. I may have a few products hidden somewhere. Let me see if I can find an image:

EDIT:

Shoot. I clicked on the product so I could see how it was put together, but clicking throws an error. Is it hidden?

It was, I apologize. It's set to direct only now. I did try to transfer it to another shirt. It only works on light colors, no underlay. Even with "make whites transparent" selected.

Tabz Jones Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2019 9:02:50 AM
Colorwash wrote:

EDIT: