Search

Results
Topic: 2019 HolidayZ Design Challenge Official Q&A
Kimberly Jones Posted: Friday, September 20, 2019 9:12:25 AM
Captured Designs by KC wrote:
Quote:

This year I created an entire collection in SVG format, so that customers could choose their own colors on EVERYTHING - text layers, berries, leaves, borders - you name it. It was painstakingly slow to create each item, but I loved the way it turned out. And I used photos that I took of my own kids, which makes me smile every time I see it. Outside of the contest, I never take the time to design holiday stuff; so for that reason, I appreciate its existence simply for giving me the annual nudge to add to my designs and the lesson on being a gracious loser. Grin

I clicked on your name because your detailed description of your design made me so curious. Your holiday designs are so lovely! I can tell you put so much time into them. You should be proud of them. I hope you sell a ton.

I feel the same way. I usually end up pushing out holiday designs at last minute and this contest gently forced my hand and allowed me to break through a bit earlier so now I'm trying to get ahead of myself. My hope is that my designs will be planted firmly in the MP around Christmas time and will pick up and sell. Lol that almost never happens because I'm completely unprepared Laughing Laughing

Aww, thank you so much! Holiday cards are never a big seller for me, so I don't know why I put so much effort into them. LOL I need to perfect my keywords and SEO skills. But I do have a lot of fun making them.
Kimberly Jones Posted: Friday, September 20, 2019 9:12:25 AM
Captured Designs by KC wrote:
Quote:

This year I created an entire collection in SVG format, so that customers could choose their own colors on EVERYTHING - text layers, berries, leaves, borders - you name it. It was painstakingly slow to create each item, but I loved the way it turned out. And I used photos that I took of my own kids, which makes me smile every time I see it. Outside of the contest, I never take the time to design holiday stuff; so for that reason, I appreciate its existence simply for giving me the annual nudge to add to my designs and the lesson on being a gracious loser. Grin

I clicked on your name because your detailed description of your design made me so curious. Your holiday designs are so lovely! I can tell you put so much time into them. You should be proud of them. I hope you sell a ton.

I feel the same way. I usually end up pushing out holiday designs at last minute and this contest gently forced my hand and allowed me to break through a bit earlier so now I'm trying to get ahead of myself. My hope is that my designs will be planted firmly in the MP around Christmas time and will pick up and sell. Lol that almost never happens because I'm completely unprepared Laughing Laughing

Aww, thank you so much! Holiday cards are never a big seller for me, so I don't know why I put so much effort into them. LOL I need to perfect my keywords and SEO skills. But I do have a lot of fun making them.
Kimberly Jones Posted: Friday, September 20, 2019 8:56:24 AM
ZingerBug wrote:
[quote=sαrαmαrshαll]

Maybe they're just overwhelmed with work and handed off the task of choosing the finalists to an art student intern named Georg who just wrote a thesis entitled "White Space and the Modern Aesthetic." Seriously, who knows?

This made me cry with laughter. Laughing

Everyone has valid points. I try to remember that it's someone else's contest and I'm playing by their rules and judging criteria. My heart does sink a bit when the top selections are usually a beautiful photo and a line of a basic serif, but as a designer I still have to be ME! I always learn something from participating in the contest. This year I created an entire collection in SVG format, so that customers could choose their own colors on EVERYTHING - text layers, berries, leaves, borders - you name it. It was painstakingly slow to create each item, but I loved the way it turned out. And I used photos that I took of my own kids, which makes me smile every time I see it. Outside of the contest, I never take the time to design holiday stuff; so for that reason, I appreciate its existence simply for giving me the annual nudge to add to my designs and the lesson on being a gracious loser. Grin

Congratulations to all of the finalists! I had a tough time deciding between 2 of them, but ultimately went for the one that had a bit more diversity in their collection. Good work, everyone!
Kimberly Jones Posted: Friday, September 20, 2019 8:56:24 AM
ZingerBug wrote:
[quote=sαrαmαrshαll]

Maybe they're just overwhelmed with work and handed off the task of choosing the finalists to an art student intern named Georg who just wrote a thesis entitled "White Space and the Modern Aesthetic." Seriously, who knows?

This made me cry with laughter. Laughing

Everyone has valid points. I try to remember that it's someone else's contest and I'm playing by their rules and judging criteria. My heart does sink a bit when the top selections are usually a beautiful photo and a line of a basic serif, but as a designer I still have to be ME! I always learn something from participating in the contest. This year I created an entire collection in SVG format, so that customers could choose their own colors on EVERYTHING - text layers, berries, leaves, borders - you name it. It was painstakingly slow to create each item, but I loved the way it turned out. And I used photos that I took of my own kids, which makes me smile every time I see it. Outside of the contest, I never take the time to design holiday stuff; so for that reason, I appreciate its existence simply for giving me the annual nudge to add to my designs and the lesson on being a gracious loser. Grin

Congratulations to all of the finalists! I had a tough time deciding between 2 of them, but ultimately went for the one that had a bit more diversity in their collection. Good work, everyone!
Kimberly Jones Posted: Monday, September 09, 2019 5:56:50 PM
My guess would be the delay is related to the introduction of the customer voting. I don't remember Zazzle ever having such a poll before. I'm sure their computer programmers and other employees are hard at work trying to finalize things and get them on the site. Of course, an update would be even greater, so that we don't have to speculate. Grin I'm just hoping the challenge doesn't get scrapped altogether.