Product Design Critique
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 11:35:14 PM
The Zazzle meet up group didn't seem to garner much interest, but the concept of product critique did.

On this board, a Zazzle designer posts up a single product and give what information they have on the product such as the Title, description, and what tags you're using.

You can also add information such as the popularity of the design such as saying "I have sold this design on X products or this design has been bought X number of times and it is available on X number of products."

People are then free to offer commentary on the design such as offering suggestions for ways to tighten up the descriptions, title, and stronger tags. (Assume they have used a keyword generator for help)

As people are working with the skills and the implements they have. So the person might not always have access to the areas where the photo was taken, or the skills to make it more presentable. For example, I'm good with Photoshop, but I'm not so great with digital touch up. So a photo design would be as is.

It is okay to say "I wouldn't use this photo because it comes across as blurry and it has limited color."

Rather then 'You should retake this photo with this type of stance and with and this type of lens because..."

Or "I like this design, but I think the background you are using seems too distracting for this image."

I'll start with one of my products as an example

This design has been one of my top sellers, I have sold 63 copies of this design. The largest order with this design consists of 50 bottle openers.

The title is "Half Dome Framed by Branches"

The description is "This photo was taken in Yosemite in 2011. It features Half Dome under an early evening sky. The trees in the foreground appear to form a natural frame for the mountain. | © and ® JHumlie - All Rights Reserved."

And the tags used are: mountain,sierras,yosemite-national-park,halfdome,california,nationalpark,yosemite,landscape,evening-sky,tissaack

This product design is currently available on 355 products.
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2019 6:38:18 AM
Perhaps giving the other designers a full on view of the design will eliminate the need for everyone to click through to see it properly?
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2019 8:37:16 AM
I have more questions than answers, I'm afraid.

Repetition of keywords - good, bad, or indifferent?

I see halfdome, half-dome, and yosemite each repeated in your tags. Since search engine algorithms can see the singular words inside a multi-word tag, should they be repeated as one-word tags at all?

I tried plugging in "half-dome" vs. "halfdome" vs "half dome" into Google and didn't see much difference in the top results. I'll confess to sometimes using a '-' in my tags even though I think search engines tend to ignore them. Spaces may be ignored, too? I would probably use "half dome" once as a tag, and maybe make sure it has proximity to "yosemite".

I might do this with your existing tags:

"half dome" yosemite "national park" "sierra nevada" mountain

(I suppose the "nevada" could be problematic because it shares part of the name with the state, but: "sierra nevada" is more specific than "sierras", possibly eliminating unrelated competition)

That leaves you five more tags. How about:

"land and sky" (though the 'and' is probably superfluous as an ignored keyword), or landscape as references to the composition?

Maybe include the type of image: photograph

Any thoughts on adding "nature's beauty" or "nature's majesty" as a tag?

That's all I have to contribute.

ETA: With regard to spaces in tags, even though they might be ignored by a search engine, I doubt leaving them in does any harm. So I use them simply because it's easier for me as a human to read. I'm not sure there's any merit to doing versions with and without a space.
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2019 7:48:31 PM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:
I have more questions than answers, I'm afraid.

Repetition of keywords - good, bad, or indifferent?

I see halfdome, half-dome, and yosemite each repeated in your tags. Since search engine algorithms can see the singular words inside a multi-word tag, should they be repeated as one-word tags at all?

I tried plugging in "half-dome" vs. "halfdome" vs "half dome" into Google and didn't see much difference in the top results. I'll confess to sometimes using a '-' in my tags even though I think search engines tend to ignore them. Spaces may be ignored, too? I would probably use "half dome" once as a tag, and maybe make sure it has proximity to "yosemite".

I might do this with your existing tags:

"half dome" yosemite "national park" "sierra nevada" mountain

(I suppose the "nevada" could be problematic because it shares part of the name with the state, but: "sierra nevada" is more specific than "sierras", possibly eliminating unrelated competition)

That leaves you five more tags. How about:

"land and sky" (though the 'and' is probably superfluous as an ignored keyword), or landscape as references to the composition?

Maybe include the type of image: photograph

Any thoughts on adding "nature's beauty" or "nature's majesty" as a tag?

That's all I have to contribute.

ETA: With regard to spaces in tags, even though they might be ignored by a search engine, I doubt leaving them in does any harm. So I use them simply because it's easier for me as a human to read. I'm not sure there's any merit to doing versions with and without space.

Repeating tags does feel repetitive, but it actually does strengthen the key interest to your design. A single tag about half dome and Yosemite might not be enough to attract interest in those keywords towards your design. But I do hear what you are suggesting and I will make some changes on the design tags.
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2019 9:10:38 PM
Regarding your request of suggestions to help you product to sell, I would add a text template with the word "Yosemite" or "Yosemite National Park" on the bottom is simple text. Souvenir type products sell. Not sure how well pencil holders sell though.
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2019 11:38:41 PM
LM Gildersleeve wrote:
Regarding your request of suggestions to help you product to sell, I would add a text template with the word "Yosemite" or "Yosemite National Park" on the bottom is simple text. Souvenir type products sell. Not sure how well pencil holders sell though.

I’ve tried products with text and it’s never looked good. It’s too clunky with the text tool and when I have fashioned a version of a word with photoshop as a second layer it still doesn’t work out as presentable because it looked to distracting. As I had discribed in my initial post this design has sold 63 copies and it sells well.

It’s not the products themselves I’m critiquing it’s the design for the product and the design info. The desk organizer is just the example using that design.
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 12:58:30 AM
Jaana Humlie wrote:
Repeating tags does feel repetitive, but it actually does strengthen the key interest to your design. A single tag about half dome and Yosemite might not be enough to attract interest in those keywords towards your design. But I do hear what you are suggesting and I will make some changes on the design tags.

Not sure I understand how repetition "strengthens the key interest to your design." Can you elaborate?

The repetition of certain words between the title, description (where repetition may occur naturally), and tags makes sense to me. That would tell a bot that the word is very relevant to the page. But is it the same if the keyword is repeated, once by itself, and then with other keywords within phrases in our tags?

It would not surprise me to learn that I'm doing it all wrong.
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 4:13:52 AM
Jaana Humlie wrote:
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:
[quote=Jaana Humlie]Repeating tags does feel repetitive, but it actually does strengthen the key interest to your design. A single tag about half dome and Yosemite might not be enough to attract interest in those keywords towards your design. But I do hear what you are suggesting and I will make some changes on the design tags.

Not sure I understand how repetition "strengthens the key interest to your design." Can you elaborate?

The repetition of certain words between the title, description (where repetition may occur naturally), and tags makes sense to me. That would tell a bot that the word is very relevant to the page. But is it the same if the keyword is repeated, once by itself, and then with other keywords within phrases in our tags?

It would not surprise me to learn that I'm doing it all wrong.

It’s with what people are looking for, so if you write half dome or Yosemite as individual tags the algarythem will read each of them as a I key word. But it covers only that key word to that extent. Adding the same key word with other elements such as “Half Dome Yosemite” is also one tag and it will be read as one tag. The algarythem would also read these tags individually and say “okay, this is aimed at people who like Yosemite and half dome” so that boosts the viewing chances. Saying the tag “Yosemite National Park” is also individual tag because it is the full title of the park. And as before this tag will be read as a whole, but also in the words making it up.

Take the word Tea Party, your intent there is for the image to be themed for a tea party. However there is also the political party so the algarythem would read that and assume tea party political party. So to get things to fall more towards where you are aiming for you would need to repeat the tag by using the elements of tea and party by themselves, and as specified elements such as “English tea party” and “Victorian tea party” or “Christmas tea”. The algarythem will still lump in products for the political party because of the words tea party, but it would have a greater understanding about what interest your tea party product is aimed for.