Pinterest spammers - help or hurt?
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 3:48:42 PM
Pinterest bumped my website (my designs + affiliating) from the first page of Google search results for a particular search term in 24 hours. I'm seeing A LOT of spam and some pins by other Designers. (They all have Associate IDs in their links). Two are definitely spammers - for example, one has a handful of followers and near 100,000 pins, so I think the term "spammer" applies. ;)

Getting found is important. Other people liking stuff enough to share it on Pinterest is good. Getting a website bumped to page 2 is bad.

Thoughts?
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 5:07:46 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't most of Pinterest (and other online locations) what people consider spam? I am not on the side of the "spammer" but I think the definition of the word has really changed from the original meaning. It used to mean unsolicited contact by email. Now it seems to have an elastic meaning that covers a gamut of things including promotions of your art and products that has no "value" content. I would just like to know whose standard of "value" we are talking about and how in the heck are you supposed to always have value content with your self promotions. sometimes you just need to share a link with a description and say "hey I am offering this for sale, if anybody is interested" it is called advertising, but people seem to think it is not acceptable to advertise anymore.

Ok rant over, but no wonder it is so hard to sell things online.
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 5:12:19 PM
By your definition, I can be called a spammer...and so can everyone else on Pinterest. Oh well. I reckon you can contact Pinterest and report them if you feel so strongly that they are spammers *shrugs*
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 6:26:35 PM
It appears they're using bots to post for the sole purpose of affiliating Zazzle products. I call that spam, the same as the term is used in the Forums when one refers to "spamming the Marketplace" with the same design over and over again.

I originally joined Pinterest for its ideas - home decor, crafts, party themes, and that sort of thing. Now I rarely go there because of PROMOTED/PAID and "suggested" pins which bury the pins of people I follow. I follow other Zazzlers, Etsy shops, and some affiliates because I enjoy seeing their products.

So, no, in my opinion, self-promotion or even a lot of promotion isn't spammy behavior, but I'm pretty sure the worldwide definers of terms like "spam" don't care about my opinion.

I was just pondering the value of Pinterest pin overload, especially if it's what I would call a spam pin. I can do that somewhere else. Grin
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 6:42:09 PM
I didn't mean to come off as harsh. It is just frustrating trying to keep up with the fickle whims of internet marketing gurus who keep "evolving" the best practices and dictating what is or isn't acceptable. They are always coming up with new hoops for us to jump through.
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 5:30:14 AM
I've noticed when running searches that Google hasn't yet found a way to filter out what I call the "splat" effect on Pinterest. I wish they would.
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 6:23:23 AM
I ran across this scheme over the weekend looking for my products ... found 5 "separate" accounts, each with a board with thousands of Z products totaling 169,000 pins, then found another board on another account with 21,000 pins ... all with the same RFID. Now that's spam.
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 6:27:13 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:

I originally joined Pinterest for its ideas - home decor, crafts, party themes, and that sort of thing. Now I rarely go there because of PROMOTED/PAID and "suggested" pins which bury the pins of people I follow. I follow other Zazzlers, Etsy shops, and some affiliates because I enjoy seeing their products.

In rereading this I noticed the "promoted/paid" part... so that got me thinking that Pinterest doesn't have a problem with lots of promoting IF it is paid promotions... It is the free promoters that are catching all the hard breaks. So they are following in the footsteps of FB and going the way of the "pay to play"...

Yet another reason for me to dislike Pinterest.

Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 10:42:28 AM
katz_d_zynes wrote:
I ran across this scheme over the weekend looking for my products ... found 5 "separate" accounts, each with a board with thousands of Z products totaling 169,000 pins, then found another board on another account with 21,000 pins ... all with the same RFID. Now that's spam.

^That.
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 10:44:55 AM
Colorwash wrote:
I've noticed when running searches that Google hasn't yet found a way to filter out what I call the "splat" effect on Pinterest. I wish they would.

Update: My site is back on the first page and 1 Pinners pins aren't in the mix, so they un-splatted that instance anyway. I didn't look on Pinterest to see if they're still there. That gives an idea as to how fluid search marketing is though.

Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 2:54:14 PM
Another Update: I just sold one of those designs the spammer-pinner spam pinned to a someone in France.

Conclusion: A pin is a good pin no matter that it's a spam pin. Happy

Or it's a coincidence, but I don't believe in those. Grin
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 1:44:03 PM
Further to this and working without the massive headache I was the other day, I'm considering other consequences of Pin spam.

A pin is a good pin. Any single pin is a good pin. I think most could agree to that. Spammers who pin hundreds of thousands of pins may be good for sales, but with their Associate ID, are bad for Referrals. Even if they don't get Referrals from them, they have the potential to do damage to our own Referral efforts by knocking our cookies out of browsers.

Off the main topic, but relative: I wonder how well the source of Referrals is reviewed for the annual Referral Contests. If that further rewards spammers and no one ever reports them (is bot-spamming against ToS here? I think bot-spam is against Pinterest's ToS), then there's that too. I didn't/don't tend to report people because I don't feel it's my place to police others' sites ToS and user activity, unless it's something like design theft (my design).

Hmmm.