Pinterest Followers
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2019 6:49:27 AM
I have been looking over my Pinterest followers and I would say 60% of them are accounts with very few pins like maybe 20 hair braid photos or nail photos with thousands of followers. I follow back since it increases my number of followers but there is no hope that they will repin anything. My question is why? What does someone get out of putting up a "fake" account, pinning little, and just concentrating on getting followers?
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2019 7:22:09 AM
Idea

no idea either...
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2019 8:01:24 AM
Some may follow not with intent of gaining followers, but for looking up, and pinning, things/ideas they like for possible future purchases, etc. I began that way, having many boards dedicated to recipes, etc, and I would follow others that had such boards that piqued my interests in those areas. And then I reckon I came up in searches and gained followers that way even though I wasn't after followers at all! So...

Maybe they are "victim" of those feeling obligated to do a mutual follow *shrugs* Maybe the people following them are hoping they will be found via them and gain more followers of their own *shrugs* I, personally, don't question why anyone follows me and I don't check their follower numbers (the amount they follow or have) and I don't do mutual follows.

Just because their follower/following numbers make no sense to you doesn't mean the accounts are fake. Perhaps someone joined Pinterest and then lost interest, Internet, whathaveyou *shrugs*

You don't know that they are there just to gain followers. If you feel they are, message them and question them or report them to Pinterest *shrugs*

EDITING TO ADD:

I'm not trying to be rude. It's just that accusations/assumptions such as this made against/of others is one of my pet peeves.
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2019 8:59:58 AM
Not everyone on Pinterest cares about followers. Most of my non Zazzle friends aren't on Pinterest for followers. They couldn't care less. One of my boards is simply a shopping list of things I need to buy at Lowes, because I'm fixing up my place. I don't need to take a list with me, because it's on my phone on Pinterest. I can open Pinterest in Lowes and it'll tell me exactly what aisle and bin I need to go to.
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2019 10:59:44 AM
I am referring to people who reach out and follow me so they are active in gaining followers and have thousands of followers There might be an automated method of gaining followers that I am not aware of. They have one board with 5 pins of hair braids. I get maybe three in a row with names like Tim S. with a woman's profile picture and the exact same board name and 5 pins that Jim W. has. I am not saying they are doing something wrong. I am just wondering what they are benefiting.
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2019 11:14:26 AM
natureinfocus wrote:
I am referring to people who reach out and follow me so they are active in gaining followers and have thousands of followers There might be an automated method of gaining followers that I am not aware of. They have one board with 5 pins of hair braids. I get maybe three in a row with names like Tim S. with a woman's profile picture and the exact same board name and 5 pins that Jim W. has. I am not saying they are doing something wrong. I am just wondering what they are benefiting.

If I am not mistaken I believe you can still buy followers too... I never understood that mentality, and some of those accounts you mentioned with a man's name and woman's profile photo are bot accounts. With these it is probably not followers they are after but inflated stats that somehow feed into a legitimate account.
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2019 11:25:59 AM
natureinfocus wrote:

Now, see, all of that would have been beneficial to have learned in the first post. Why they do it is not known by me. For regular folk, though, my initial post still stands.
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2019 1:09:31 PM
Thanks for your answers. So over half of my followers happen to be bots. I will look on the bright side and say that nearly half are probably real people.
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2019 1:59:40 PM
natureinfocus wrote:
Thanks for your answers. So over half of my followers happen to be bots. I will look on the bright side and say that nearly half are probably real people.

I have a lot of bot accounts following me too if that makes you feel better... but yeah there are still real people as well.
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2019 9:23:12 AM
Last week Pinterest mistakenly suspended my account, and when they restored it, I had 1600 fewer followers. Shocked I was perturbed, but now I'm wondering if they were bots and Pinterest purged them? Maybe too many started following me and that's why my account got flagged in the first place? I hope that wasn't the case, as I'm innocent! Wouldn't buy useless fake followers in a million years.

As for what these fakes get out of it, I can't figure out. I found one account that had taken about 1,000 of my photos and linked them all to their own website. They had 40,000 pins total that they had stolen. But when I checked the website, it was some junk website with almost no content. So what was the point of linking 40,000 pins to it? People click and see... basically nothing.
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2019 11:00:47 AM
AugieDoggyStore wrote:
Last week Pinterest mistakenly suspended my account, and when they restored it, I had 1600 fewer followers. Shocked I was perturbed, but now I'm wondering if they were bots and Pinterest purged them? Maybe too many started following me and that's why my account got flagged in the first place? I hope that wasn't the case, as I'm innocent! Wouldn't buy useless fake followers in a million years.

As for what these fakes get out of it, I can't figure out. I found one account that had taken about 1,000 of my photos and linked them all to their own website. They had 40,000 pins total that they had stolen. But when I checked the website, it was some junk website with almost no content. So what was the point of linking 40,000 pins to it? People click and see... basically nothing.

Those scraper sites drive me bonkers! They are getting craftier too - today I found one that grabbed an image from one of my pinterest carousel posts, created a new pin, and made it look like an actual informational post that was indeed relevant to my image. So I got excited that someone "featured my stuff!"

But when I followed the link, it was just a "post" full of related images with ZERO outbound links or credits, and no text content. So awful. They are just trying to get clicks leading to their site to get advertiser link clicks out so they get paid. So lame. I mean, all they have to do is connect it to a legit affiliate site and they would probably make triple what the random ad link clicks are paying them. Laughing

Posted: Monday, June 24, 2019 11:51:08 AM
Oh is that what they're doing? You're right though--just make a legitimate site and maybe make actual money. They can't be making much the way they're doing it. So someone sees their stolen pin on Pinterest, clicks through, and finds some unrelated junk website. And they're going to say, well as long as I'm here, let me start clicking on ads? lol

I reported the person who did it to my pins and I think they're gone (unless they blocked me!). I take pleasure in the fact that 40,000 pins were wiped out in a blink of an eye, but I'm sure it was an automated process and no one spent time manually pinning.
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2019 9:33:27 AM
They want to be important.