Need help understanding the referrals
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2019 4:59:53 PM
Hey all,

I've been looking into the affiliate thing and just read the latest update in the sticky section since I couldn't find my ID number anywhere. I'm a bit confused and doing some googling and YouTube-ing I'm still confused. It seems like the referral program and affiliate are kind of interchangeable?

Here come the questions! Grin

1. I haven't opted in to the program yet, so does this mean if someone were to click one of my products from my Pinterest board and buy it I wouldn't get the sale?

2. I've been using Tailwind to schedule my products once they're approved to sell and not linking directly from the Pinterest button underneath the product. Does that matter? I'm seeing lots of places where you're supposed to change the link and add an ID number. So if I don't do that and a product sells do I not get the sale? I checked some of my products on Pinterest and they all have different numbers at the end of the link back to Zazzle.

3. I watched a video where you can add your link referral to someone else's product to pin. If you add your referral number how does the seller get the sale if your info is in it?

4. Changing the links either manually or that Nifty tool (I haven't checked that out so don't even know what it is) .. seems to be a lot of work just to make sure when your product sells you get the money for it??

I think once I understand it all the affiliate board where people are asking for products to share on their blogs will make sense. Right now - obviously - I'm clueless.

Thanks in advance!

Lisa

Posted: Friday, April 19, 2019 5:22:30 PM
Quote:
1. I haven't opted in to the program yet, so does this mean if someone were to click one of my products from my Pinterest board and buy it I wouldn't get the sale?
You'll get the sale, you won't earn extra referral money for it.

Quote:
2. I've been using Tailwind to schedule my products once they're approved to sell and not linking directly from the Pinterest button underneath the product. Does that matter? I'm seeing lots of places where you're supposed to change the link and add an ID number. So if I don't do that and a product sells do I not get the sale? I checked some of my products on Pinterest and they all have different numbers at the end of the link back to Zazzle.
never heard of Tailwind. Since you haven't opted in, you won't get the extra referral money.

Quote:
3. I watched a video where you can add your link referral to someone else's product to pin. If you add your referral number how does the seller get the sale if your info is in it?
You don't need to add anything if you've opted in. Just use the share icons on the product page or collection page after you've opted in. Your referral ID will be included.

Quote:
4. Changing the links either manually or that Nifty tool (I haven't checked that out so don't even know what it is) .. seems to be a lot of work just to make sure when your product sells you get the money for it??
You don't need to change the link manually if you use the share icons, or Mark's Nifty tool.

Check the dates on videos. Zazzle has been around since 2003. There are many outdated videos out there.

To post your products in any of the affiliate threads or the show me forum threads, go to the product page, click on the chain links icon, and use the BBCode.

BTW, you won't earn referrals on anything you post on the forums. Referrals have to come from outside of Zazzle.

Opt in. Your referral number will then show up on that page.

Posted: Friday, April 19, 2019 5:25:37 PM
The info that will really clear things up for you is that designer royalties and referral commissions are two separate things.

You receive a royalty on only the products you designed, at the royalty rate you set on your products. You receive that anytime your products sell.

The referral rate is a flat 15%, which is your commission on the sale of any item you promoted outside of zazzle, including other designer's products.

The affiliate gets the referral commission, and the designer gets the royalty. If you are both the affiliate and designer, you get both.

When you opt in to the affiliate program, you'll have an ID number to add to your links that puts your commission cookie in the customer's browser.
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2019 5:26:54 PM
LavenderMintGraphics wrote:

the main thing to understand is that there is a difference between a royalty earning and a referral earning. If it's someone else's product, they'll earn their royalty for designing the product and you'll earn a referral for advertising it. Hope that helps Smile
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2019 8:19:24 PM
You also need to remember that referrals are not as easy to get as they sound like they will be.

A couple of reasons why are...

1.) the buyer has cookies disabled in their browser

2.) the buyer clicked on another referral link after yours and the old link got overwritten by the new one.

But one thing is sure, if you are not opted in to the program you have no chance of earning referrals at all.

I am just sharing this so you won't have unrealistic expectations. Smile

Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2019 6:34:06 AM
Maz, thanks for responding to each point. Tailwind is a scheduling program for pinning to Pinterest. Agreed on the videos. Things change so rapidly nowadays that if they're older than a few months and definitely a year I skip them.

Thanks so much to everyone for helping me understand all this, I appreciate it! I'll opt in and understand that nothing is a sure thing on the referrals. Or sales as I'm still waiting on that elusive first one!

Lisa

Posted: Monday, April 29, 2019 10:17:27 PM
I'm confused. So I thought that the fact that I have an associate ID means that I'm opted in. Like if I click on the "link to this" thing and get the HTML code, it says "you're associate ID is in the shortened URL. You can earn 15% from each sale by sharing from Zazzle!" Apparently that doesn't mean that I'm opted in? What do I need to do to opt in?
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 4:13:44 AM
ZingerBug wrote:
I'm confused. So I thought that the fact that I have an associate ID means that I'm opted in. Like if I click on the "link to this" thing and get the HTML code, it says "you're associate ID is in the shortened URL. You can earn 15% from each sale by sharing from Zazzle!" Apparently that doesn't mean that I'm opted in? What do I need to do to opt in?

If you go to your Associates page in the back end of your store (in My Account settings) and scroll down to the bottom there is a button to either unenroll or enroll. That's how you can tell if you can earn a referral fee.

This option is very new. Anyone who had signed up before Zazzle implemented it was automatically enrolled into their Affiliate program.
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 4:31:14 AM
LM Gildersleeve wrote:
ZingerBug wrote:

If you go to your Associates page in the back end of your store (in My Account settings) and scroll down to the bottom there is a button to either unenroll or enroll. That's how you can tell if you can earn a referral fee.

This option is very new. Anyone who had signed up before Zazzle implemented it was automatically enrolled into their Affiliate program.

But, if a referral hadn't been earned before this was implemented, then the designer was unenrolled, so it is best to just check to make sure of your status. Newbies will have to enroll upon registering.
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 11:33:18 AM
Thanks! So glad I happened upon this thread before spending hours creating a store that I'd earn nothing from because I hadn't clicked the enroll button! THANK YOU!!!
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 5:19:59 PM
What is the difference between "LINK," "HTML," and "BBCODE?" when clicking the link button on the product page. Are they all saying the same thing, but used for different reasons?
I would like to either share a product or a store.
Which code do I use and under what circumstances.
I am soooo confused.
Thanks so much for any help anyone can offer me.
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 7:13:46 PM
Cat Plus Dog Productions wrote:
What is the difference between "LINK," "HTML," and "BBCODE?" when clicking the link button on the product page. Are they all saying the same thing, but used for different reasons?
I would like to either share a product or a store.
Which code do I use and under what circumstances.
I am soooo confused.
Thanks so much for any help anyone can offer me.

The link is for when you just want to share a normal link. you will want to use this one for social media posts or email links if you are not using the built in share buttons.

HTML is code for pasting into widgets that embed the content into Blogs and websites, website and blog builders like Weebly or Blogger have these widgets.

BBCode is for pasting into your forum posts here in the show me forums and it is how we all get our product images to show in our posts.

I hope that makes sense and helps you.

Adding: regarding your question, yes they basically all give the same result but are used for different applications.
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 8:08:52 PM
Thanks so much! Got it!
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 9:39:37 PM
Cat Plus Dog Productions wrote:
Thanks so much! Got it!

you are quite welcome!Smile