I'm getting really discouraged! My dad might be right about it being a scam. 2 pages: [1] 2
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 3:27:59 PM
Well, I've been on Zazzle for about a month and my dad told me that sites like this only "rip" people off and I am beginning to wonder if he was right.

I have promoted my stuff to thousands of people on Facebook, bought from myself and my mom said she bought from me too and my balance is still 0.00!!!!!

I'm so upset about that! I had a lot of "click throughs" on my links as well AND then I am told that I (meaning ME) HAVE to make the referral "stick"! *? So you mean if I don't do something to a tee whatever that means, my images could sell but I don't mae money? You mean zazzle has got loop holes it can utilize to not pay me?

I'm not expecting to make a fortune, but I was hoping to make a little bit to feel alright about and not feel like I am throwing my work into some fruitless abyss.

I am also afraid to lead people to my store directly because of that referral code thing so I changed my domain name to point to an off site instead of my store so I can use referral links. However, if someone goes directly to my store and buys from me without that ?rf (referral code), do I get paid? AND when do I see a change in balance if someone buys from me? Is it right away after someone buys something?Crying ???
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 3:46:30 PM
so...

you've only been here a month? Did you read through your account Seller Account / Earnings / Summary? where it says on the top:

"Earnings created within the last 30 days, thus not yet cleared to be paid."

?
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 3:56:31 PM
all of it says $0.00 even under pending.... I'm getting worried and RIGHTFULLY so. I work hard on my things, but do not want to waste time posting more things and promoting them to get no where.

Also, if someone buys my products without the referral code, say they stumble upon my store somehow and buy something, will I still earn anything, or does it have to be through a referral code?

Im new to all this so YES I do read it but I am not sure what it all means. I sure will feel better as if my links are working and this venture will seem worthwhile and hopeful to invest time into it if I just saw a small amount of revenue for my efforts to start with.
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 4:09:59 PM
Balance will say $0.00 until earnings have cleared. What you spent will not show on the Earnings page under pending. Did your mom use your account to make her purchase?
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 4:22:42 PM
No. My mom lives in Georgia. She did not use my account. I sent her a link to my store in an email. and she said she placed an order.
I mainly wanted to see how it works. When I promoted one product on Facebook, I got almost 400 likes and 90 something click throughs. I find it hard to believe not one single person bought my product.

I feel extremely discouraged.
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 4:31:48 PM
Links, Likes, and Click Throughs do not guarantee sales.

Did your mom receive a confirmation email of her order?
Did you click through to the Royalty History page from your earnings page to see if the product she ordered is listed?
Are you sure your mom didn't follow your link in and then purchase a product from another shopkeeper instead? (Just asking).

Did you use the email link from the product page when you sent her the link or did you just copy the link from the browser bar and email that to her? (The email link would have your RFID# attached. The other way wouldn't).
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 4:35:23 PM
There's no link to your actual store from here so we can't see it.
That's one way to promote your store because zazzle shop owners do buy from each other.
I did a Zazzle search and I think I found your store with some cute designs. But until you have more products, it will take a while for them all to move up in the marketplace. When I first started, my sales didn't evolve "in volume" until I had hundreds.
Anyone here can tell you Zazzle is no rip off and lots of people make decent money here.
Read the "new to zazzle" forum threads for LOTS of info. And add your products to the show and tell threads. Just some suggestions. It takes time, but I'm sure you will do well - just be positive and keep designing. It doesn't happen overnight.
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 4:39:40 PM
@SDKelley - I think that is your problem. I sent a Zazzle affiliate link to a friend via email, he used it, got the products - but I never received any commission. I will never send an affiliate link through email again just to be sure....

As far as additional sales not from your family, it will take time - one month just isn't enough to see any results really. Almost every seller making money on Zazzle would agree that it REALLY takes time to establish yourself and learn how to properly promote your work via other online channels - try and fail, then try again...learn from people in the forums and it will eventually pay off.

Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 4:54:22 PM
My store name is DelaineK. I figured it was connected to my name. I have a lot of designs to upload, so vector images and photos as well, but I am in the process of organizing and resizing, and cleaning up some. I'm trying to see how it all works since I have never done anything else in my life to earn money other than be a nurse. I've always drawn or painted as a hobby.

If someone buys a product or 2 from my store, do I get commission even if they went right to the store any not through a referral link?

Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 5:00:39 PM
SD Kelley wrote:


If someone buys a product or 2 from my store, do I get commission even if they went right to the store any not through a referral link?



Yes, you will earn your royalty. There are instances where special promotions are in effect, to certain groups of people, where some products may net a shopkeeper nothing, but those are rare, are not on all products, require a special code not put out for the general public, and so on and so forth... Other than that, you will earn for what you sell and that will appear immediately in pending on your earnings page, and in your royalty history, but will not appear in Balance until it has cleared.
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 6:57:12 PM
The other's are right. It takes time to build any business and Zazzle is no different.

I have been here since 2007 (under another account that has since been absorbed into this one). And while my first sale was 2 months in and I had maybe 200 hundred products posted, it would be another year and a half before I saw a real steady income.

I now have 17 separate shops and nearly 12,000 products.

Zazzle is most definitely NOT a scam. Stick with it, keep turning out quality designs (your snowmen are adorable by the way) and promote, promote, promote. The sales will come.


Good luck Smile

Tabz
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 7:42:35 PM
As others have said, Zazzle is definitely not a scam in any sense of the word. I began here back in 2009 (I believe it was late October) and received my 1st check from Zazzle in January of 2010. It wasn't much, but it grew from there but starting before the holiday season made it possible for me to get some sales with a lower product count that first year. It took a LOT of designs before I started seeing regular sales, and the more designs I put up, the more sales. I believe I started seeing a steady stream when I broke 2,000-3,000 products for sale. Your shop is still extremely tiny. (Not an insult I promise you) But it is going to take a lot more items in your store before you see a lot of sales if any. Have patience and stick with it.

Also, click-throughs, likes, and shares mean next to nothing. I have had days where I had well over 1,000 linkovers into Zazzle and sold next to nothing and then had days where I had around 100 linkovers and sold tons. The biggest flow of actual customers seem to come from other people referring and/or the marketplace. And to get sales from either, you have to have a LOT more products.

Zazzle is not a get rich quick thing. It takes a lot of time and effort and if you can stick with it, it does eventually pay off. Many of us have even stopped working our other "jobs", but it took time to get to that point. (years and thousands of products made) Don't worry about where you are now. If you have the patience Zazzle will be worth it. But if you can't make it a month without being disgruntled, it is going to be very difficult to find success. So, remind yourself to not worry about the sales. Create, enjoy it, keep adding, add more each and every day and promote, but don't focus on the amount of effort you are putting in because that work won't pay off immediately.
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 7:50:57 PM
Also, the area you need to look at to see sales (pending or otherwise) is under:

EARNINGS, then on the lefthand side click on ROYALTY HISTORY. Don't look at the balance, nothing will show up there until later. (It has to clear first for that)

I think https://www.zazzle.com/my/earnings/royaltyhistory will take you to what I am referring to.
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 10:24:37 PM
I understand your frustrations. But trust me when I say, it does get better. I takes a while and it's frustrating and there will be times where you think you are wasting your time. But any time you make a sale, give yourself a mini-celebration. It doesn't have to be anything big...a mini-celebration could be going to your favorite bakery and getting yourself a cookie. Or dancing around to your favorite song.

I've been with Zazzle for three years now and I've only made a total of 56 sales. While that is nothing major, it's nothing meager either.

As others have pointed out you should promote your items on the Show Me forum. There are various threads where you can promote various products, themes, colors, ect. And there are groups on the Show Me forum who are willing to promote any one who wants it.

Another thing that can help is when friends and loved ones ask you what you would like for any gift giving event...say the only thing you would like is more sales on your shop. It doesn't always guarantee sales, but they will take that into account.

Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2013 8:23:32 PM
Although I originally signed up for this account in 2011, I didn't actually do anything with it until August of this year. Back in 2011, I became frustrated and quit after a couple of days. The whole process was so overwhelming!

Now things are much better. Every day gets easier and I'm having a lot of fun. I'm also learning new things almost daily, which improves my products and/or marketing skills. My first sale didn't come until more than a month into my venture. Now four or five months (after actively "zazzling"), I'm up to 24 sales. Half of those sales came from no referrals--just people randomly shopping. Zazzle has paid all royalties due.

Relax, have patience, and enjoy your work.
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 2:54:55 PM
Your dad is wrong, it's not a "scam". You pay zazzle *nothing* to have your designs here. A scam costs you money, zazzle does not. It takes a lot more than a handful of designs to see anything out of zazzle unless your designs are already popular or something goes "viral". If you put in time, you will get a return. Pennies on the hour for a long time...but it's a return.

And yea, links likes clicks don't guarantee sales. There's millions of links to zazzle on the web already! If you want more immediate selling, you might try getting into the art fair world (I'm assuming you do art?). But then you have to pay for printing...booth space...tent...displays...sittting there for 8 hours...it's not a scam, but its not free!

The decision is up to you, stay and create , maybe branch out to other free sites (and most of them are a lot harder to use!), and build it up over time...or toss in the towel. I'd say, stick with it Smile.

Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 7:36:30 PM
Your original post has had over 1500 views and your store is not linked to your profile....that alone is a big missed opportunity. As I understand it, the more visits your store gets and the more items clicked upon, the better your ranking on searches in the search engines and in the marketplace. I certainly would have visited your store tonight if I could have easily linked to it. And I probably would have clicked on a few products to review your keywords and product descriptions.

Good luck. Keep reading the forums and Squidoo lens articles on how to have success on Zazzle.

Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 8:28:21 AM
I have been here a couple years and things are just starting to get going for me. Not sure if your talking about facebook ads, but I have tried those and nothing as well. Zazzle takes alot of time and alot of products.
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 11:51:22 AM
One thing Zazzle can't ever be is a Scam since they do Not charge vendors for listing products withe their artwork on.
There are millions of items on here, compared to when Zazzle first began, getting found is the challenge.
It took me about 4 months to sell my first item in 2005/06 and again when I started really using Zazzle again in 2013 - took about 3 months for a new item to sell again.
I won't ever make a fulltime income on here I know, since it takes way more time and products than I can keep up with, but I am not unhappy with how it seems to be increasing for me every month. However, I do have a full time income from my reg job.
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 2:44:22 PM
Your dad knows nothing about Zazzle. I've been here over 4 years and I am doing great. You have your good months and slow months. Zazzle doesn't charge to sell. No membership fees. You control your own products and designs. You have to understand there are many Zazzlers and products on here. You have to be willing to put hard work and time into being successful. Nobody is going to do the work for you.

Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 11:49:24 PM
i'm really sorry, but it's tough love time (something a fellow zazzler did for me when i started, and while it hurt my feelings at first, it greatly helped my designs and i started selling a LOT)

ok, for starters, your mantle needs work- it's cut off and not easily readable... use the dimensions zazzle gives you and your page will look more professional

the white paw prints on the black background are really cute (really freaking cute), however, your colorful fishbones (also adorable) should have a much bigger black background so it covers the entire skateboard... this will make the product look more polished and clean

extending the background would also help your "redheads are from cats" bumper sticker and candy tin...

candy cane hearts on denim has white showing, try enlarging the pattern... again, you want a good, clean, and polished design- would you buy wrapping paper that looked unfinished?

Christmas Snow Couple Card- this product needs work... you have white edges showing on your snowman and it looks like it was slapped together... once you fix the design, re-upload it... the description for it is abysmal- "This unique drawing was hand created by artist S.D. Kelley using computer paint and digital software." don't list that as your description... how about "this original design showcases a humble couple of frosty snowmen on a quaint country fabric background... the red and green color motif is perfect for the christmas season and sure to bring a smile to your face!" try describing your design as if you were describing it to a BLIND person... be detailed but concise

don't tell people you made it it "paint!" it's pretty obvious you did

there are plenty of professional-grade, yet still FREE products you can use (one is Gimp) that will give you more tools and options to play with... there are also a TON of free tutorials out there


you only have 69 products right now, i have over 13,000 (i started with the same amount you did)... i started my shop 7/15/2012 and did not see a sale until 10/3/2012 (after a fellow zazzler told me i needed to work on my designs- hey, we all have to start from somewhere)

my next sale was 11/25/2012- more than a month later and the sales SLOWLY increased (there will be good months and bad months)

i'm now a pro seller- i reached it on 5/23/13... it took 312 days for me to earn $100... since then, i have earned (to date) $839.17... i have earned more in those 208 days than what i earned in that first 312 days... who knows where i will be in the next 100 days?

my designs have drastically improved... and i have built up my store... i've created a brand for myself and i even own www.thatcrazyredhead.com (my zazzle earnings paid for my url)

what worked for me was looking at the top sellers- these items are popular for a reason

look at these items and figure out what makes them sell... do they have a lot of design elements or are they simplistic designs?

look at your niche- how many items on zazzle are about cats? 308,173 (and growing every hour of every day)
that means that because you only have 69 products and you just started your store, your items will probably be toward the end of that list of products...

personally, i don't design for a niche because i like to keep my options open but there are plenty of zazzlers who will tell you that you should only focus on niches

i noticed that some of your tags have "goth" in them... goth returns 57,801 results (much less than cats) so if you want to make niche designs, search zazzle to see what words return less results... remember, you can still label something as cat, but maybe "jungle cat" as "jungle" returns 35,130 results... "spooky" returns 33,611 results... "fluffy" has 15,270 results... and "furry" has 14,039 results
do you see what i'm getting at? less pages to sift through means more people will see your designs and then more people will buy from you...


i am truly sorry if anything i have said hurts your feelings, but you are now a PROFESSIONAL designer and merchandiser and these are things you need to hear to be successful... i am truly happy that someone had the balls to tell me what i needed to hear (not what i wanted to hear) about my designs... most of the designs i first uploaded are now hidden or even removed... as my designs got better, so did my sales...

you're designs aren't bad- they just need a lot of work... before you upload something, ask yourself:

-is this design perfect? are my lines clean? is this polished?
-would i actually buy this with my own money? (there are very few things i design that i would not buy- VERY few)
-could you expect anyone else to buy this product? (that's why the items i personally wouldn't buy are in my store)

if you have answered "no" to these questions, your design needs work and should not be posted for sale... remember zazzle is about patience and that goes double for designing...

you're never really done when you're a zazzler and you should never be satisfied either... if you get comfortable and lazy, you're designs will get passed over for more new and trendy products...


again, i don't mean to be rude or mean and if i have overstepped my bounds, i'm sorry but i respect this community and the designers that make it up and now, you're one of us now... my tips for you are the same tips i would give anyone else...

you do have some ridiculously adorable products and all i want is to make them shine and get noticed...

work on the designs, pay close attention to your description and tags, and you will see revenue, i promise

but it takes work- lots of work

zazzle on, my friend Grin
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2014 4:32:05 PM
The advice from you all has been helpful and I am very thankful. My concern however still remains that the links aren't working if indeed my mom did buy from me as she says she did. I understand that it takes more than what I already have out there and I need to fine tune some things, but at the same time, I do not want to waste my time and effort if my referral link is faulty.

Even if I made only 5 cents in commission to break that horrible stagnant ZERO, I would feel relieved and more motivated to move forward. I have an okay day job that is steady for the time being, so I do not have to hurry to make $$$, but I certainly want to be assured that I am on the right path to drawing/designing myself into a better life and that this venture will not always remain fruitless.

I would even be willing to pay someone to by something of mine just to be sure my referral linkage doesn't have a glitch.
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2014 5:12:18 PM
Post a referral link here, and we can look at it to see if you are formatting it correctly.
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2014 8:53:49 PM
you don't always get a 'referral' fee. but you should always get a 'royalty' on every product you sell. i think you may be confusing the two terms.
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 5:28:13 AM
Maz wrote:
Post a referral link here, and we can look at it to see if you are formatting it correctly.



Here is a referral link to one my products:

http://www.zazzle.com/white_cute_paw_print_tracks_climbing_up-256783729104468171?rf=238857559222971347

I'm going to see if I can open another card account or find someone (friend, coworker, anyone)to "buy" something small and inexpensive just to see if it works, and if anything, to break that negative energy cycle of always seeing $0.00. Even $0.02 would give me hope.

Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 6:56:40 AM
allison wrote:
i'm really sorry, but it's tough love time (something a fellow zazzler did for me when i started, and while it hurt my feelings at first, it greatly helped my designs and i started selling a LOT)

ok, for starters, your mantle needs work- it's cut off and not easily readable... use the dimensions zazzle gives you and your page will look more professional

the white paw prints on the black background are really cute (really freaking cute), however, your colorful fishbones (also adorable) should have a much bigger black background so it covers the entire skateboard... this will make the product look more polished and clean

extending the background would also help your "redheads are from cats" bumper sticker and candy tin...

candy cane hearts on denim has white showing, try enlarging the pattern... again, you want a good, clean, and polished design- would you buy wrapping paper that looked unfinished?

Christmas Snow Couple Card- this product needs work... you have white edges showing on your snowman and it looks like it was slapped together... once you fix the design, re-upload it... the description for it is abysmal- "This unique drawing was hand created by artist S.D. Kelley using computer paint and digital software." don't list that as your description... how about "this original design showcases a humble couple of frosty snowmen on a quaint country fabric background... the red and green color motif is perfect for the christmas season and sure to bring a smile to your face!" try describing your design as if you were describing it to a BLIND person... be detailed but concise

don't tell people you made it it "paint!" it's pretty obvious you did

there are plenty of professional-grade, yet still FREE products you can use (one is Gimp) that will give you more tools and options to play with... there are also a TON of free tutorials out there


you only have 69 products right now, i have over 13,000 (i started with the same amount you did)... i started my shop 7/15/2012 and did not see a sale until 10/3/2012 (after a fellow zazzler told me i needed to work on my designs- hey, we all have to start from somewhere)

my next sale was 11/25/2012- more than a month later and the sales SLOWLY increased (there will be good months and bad months)

i'm now a pro seller- i reached it on 5/23/13... it took 312 days for me to earn $100... since then, i have earned (to date) $839.17... i have earned more in those 208 days than what i earned in that first 312 days... who knows where i will be in the next 100 days?

my designs have drastically improved... and i have built up my store... i've created a brand for myself and i even own www.thatcrazyredhead.com (my zazzle earnings paid for my url)

what worked for me was looking at the top sellers- these items are popular for a reason

look at these items and figure out what makes them sell... do they have a lot of design elements or are they simplistic designs?

look at your niche- how many items on zazzle are about cats? 308,173 (and growing every hour of every day)
that means that because you only have 69 products and you just started your store, your items will probably be toward the end of that list of products...

personally, i don't design for a niche because i like to keep my options open but there are plenty of zazzlers who will tell you that you should only focus on niches

i noticed that some of your tags have "goth" in them... goth returns 57,801 results (much less than cats) so if you want to make niche designs, search zazzle to see what words return less results... remember, you can still label something as cat, but maybe "jungle cat" as "jungle" returns 35,130 results... "spooky" returns 33,611 results... "fluffy" has 15,270 results... and "furry" has 14,039 results
do you see what i'm getting at? less pages to sift through means more people will see your designs and then more people will buy from you...


i am truly sorry if anything i have said hurts your feelings, but you are now a PROFESSIONAL designer and merchandiser and these are things you need to hear to be successful... i am truly happy that someone had the balls to tell me what i needed to hear (not what i wanted to hear) about my designs... most of the designs i first uploaded are now hidden or even removed... as my designs got better, so did my sales...

you're designs aren't bad- they just need a lot of work... before you upload something, ask yourself:

-is this design perfect? are my lines clean? is this polished?
-would i actually buy this with my own money? (there are very few things i design that i would not buy- VERY few)
-could you expect anyone else to buy this product? (that's why the items i personally wouldn't buy are in my store)

if you have answered "no" to these questions, your design needs work and should not be posted for sale... remember zazzle is about patience and that goes double for designing...

you're never really done when you're a zazzler and you should never be satisfied either... if you get comfortable and lazy, you're designs will get passed over for more new and trendy products...


again, i don't mean to be rude or mean and if i have overstepped my bounds, i'm sorry but i respect this community and the designers that make it up and now, you're one of us now... my tips for you are the same tips i would give anyone else...

you do have some ridiculously adorable products and all i want is to make them shine and get noticed...

work on the designs, pay close attention to your description and tags, and you will see revenue, i promise

but it takes work- lots of work

zazzle on, my friend Grin


We all started out just like you. Skeptical and frustrated. And we all left white spaces on our products at first!
But Zazzle is NOT a scam.

My only advice is do exactly what Allison says. She gave you some invaluable information. And it took a lot of time for her to do that. Kudos to Allison!

Also, read the forums and continue to read the forums. Do searches and read the forums. Almost anything you need to know will already be here some place.

If you love it, don't give up. Keep working hard to get better.

Best of luck!
Tammy
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 7:14:47 AM
DelaineK wrote:
if indeed my mom did buy from me as she says she did.


Isn't that easy to figure out? Smile Either she got the product, or she didn't. If she did, and your earnings are zero as you said, then you should contact Zazzle ASAP.
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 1:27:41 PM
marcia s. wrote:
you don't always get a 'referral' fee. but you should always get a 'royalty' on every product you sell. i think you may be confusing the two terms.


well unless its bought through her account. then you get the discount designer price.Idea

when my hubby bought a couple of things from me store he clicked through my referral link on facebook to open zazzle... so i got a referal for the two products. but i didn't get a royalty because he inadvertently was logged into my zazzle account so it was like i was buying from myself. as a result i had not royalty but the end price was discounted the amount that would have been my royalty. not sure if i am explaining myself correctly.

this wasn't clear until i asked on here and had the process explained to me and i went searching through my account.. emails and package was addressed to my hubby or at least the package was. So we didn't realise he was in my account not his.
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 2:06:56 PM
Good point! If your mother bought it being logged into your account it will show in your order history. We don't make royalties on purchases of our own products, because we pay the base price.
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 9:18:15 PM
If the person buying has their computer set to not accept cookies, it won't credit you with the referral. You do earn a commission which you can set on products you create. You can make decent income on zazzle. Some shopkeepers don't have another job and some have a few bills they pay with their earnings, others get their extra "fun money" from zazzle sales. It may take some time to figure it out, but most people here are nice and willing to help with any questions.
All the best to you!
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.
Print this topic
RSS Feed
Normal
Threaded