How to stand out in the MP
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 7:13:28 AM
Just wondering how do you get your products to stand out or land on earlier pages of the marketplace? For example: Say you're making a damask pattern monogrammed iPhone case. How do you tag or describe it so that it doesn't drown in the MP and end up somewhere lost in the back end where customers will never see it?
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 11:01:13 AM
Aside from great SEO and tagging you are really at the mercy of the views and sales.

Once an item sells then it starts to gain traction. My best advice for coming up at the top of search results is to find an under served market and design for that. That way you are not trying to claw your way through the well established top search holders in an over served market.

Hope that makes sense and sorry it isn't more helpful!

Adding: self promotion can help with the views so I do recommend you try to do that as much as possible.
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 12:20:45 PM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
My best advice for coming up at the top of search results is to find an under served market and design for that. That way you are not trying to claw your way through the well established top search holders in an over served market.

That's the second reason I don't do wedding invitations. (The top reason is I'm lousy at it.)
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 1:29:16 PM
Colorwash wrote:
My best advice for coming up at the top of search results is to find an under served market and design for that. That way you are not trying to claw your way through the well established top search holders in an over served market.

That's the second reason I don't do wedding invitations. (The top reason is I'm lousy at it.)

Don't feel bad! I must be too because the only wedding things I sell are elopement announcements and favors.
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 1:48:57 PM
You're doing better than I am!
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 3:31:07 PM
Don't feel bad! I must be too because the only wedding things I sell are elopement announcements and favors.

That is such an oxymoron, "elopement announcement". I frequent wedding-related forums (always lying in wait for opportunity to promote, LOL) and it drives me batty the way people call a destination wedding or a wedding with a relatively small number of guests an elopement. Maybe I am old-school but an elopement to me is when you run off and tie the knot without telling anyone. I see people post things like "We're eloping to Hawaii, how soon should we send out STDs?" and I just want to pull my hair out. If you're telling people it's not eloping! Whew. Had to get that off my chest somewhere.
Glad you are selling elopement announcements. Making me think that elopement/eloping are keywords to consider even though the way the word is used today makes me nutz.
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 3:56:10 PM
Col's Creations wrote:

That is such an oxymoron, "elopement announcement". I frequent wedding-related forums (always lying in wait for opportunity to promote, LOL) and it drives me batty the way people call a destination wedding or a wedding with a relatively small number of guests an elopement. Maybe I am old-school but an elopement to me is when you run off and tie the knot without telling anyone. I see people post things like "We're eloping to Hawaii, how soon should we send out STDs?" and I just want to pull my hair out. If you're telling people it's not eloping! Whew. Had to get that off my chest somewhere.
Glad you are selling elopement announcements. Making me think that elopement/eloping are keywords to consider even though the way the word is used today makes me nutz.

Lol, mine are after the fact announcements, like this one that I actually made as a joke and never expected it to sell. But it did so I made more!

This is one of those under served markets I was talking about.

Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 4:38:29 PM
Hah! "You're off the hook". Love it. I can see why that sells. Smile
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 4:39:21 PM
Col's Creations wrote:
Hah! "You're off the hook". Love it. I can see why that sells. Smile

Thank you!Grin
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 6:28:35 PM
It's good to try your items on everything, but there are designs that should be limited to a certain selection of items where it is appropriate.

For example, I'm currently marketing Holloween Novelty Apothecary Labels.

I feel there is a market for them this time of year, though I am only limiting them to products such as containers **I.E. The Mason Jars, Ceramic Jars, Candy Tins, Keepsake Boxes, Gift Bags, Favor Bags, and Favor Boxes.

This is so people can use them as decorative pieces or as clever handouts at Halloween Parties.

I'm also having these as regular stickers, labels, and such so people can also put these where appropriate such as on a bottle of wine, or maybe antique glass bottle. Novelty Apothecary jars from the local craft store and the like. So they wouldn't be completely limited to what Zazzle has to offer.

There are no sales yet, but this product line is still young and the only potion ingredient really posted thus far is "Bat Vomit", but there are a bunch of other ingredients to be added such as "100% Pure Deadly Nightshade Extract, Human Hair, and Simple Truth Syrup". I am also in the process of making labels for various potions and poisons which will be limited to just Wine Bottle Labels, and Mason Jars for novelty reasons.

Future spellbooks and magical tomes will, of course, be limited to binders, notebooks, and journal covers.

I also have a design for the Apothecary Logo. This won't be quite as limited as much as the other novelty designs. After all, there are groups that do put their brand logo on apparel and other stuff as part of a human advertising front. Again these are kept within certain parameters where the logo will be appropriate. Tote Bags, Shirts, Hats, Buttons, Mugs, and Waterbottles are common forms of this style of advertising. Most of the time these are limited to in-store purchases or places where they can make extra merch-pull such as print on demand groups.

The only thing I will go more open as far as products on would be the esoteric and magical items such as Zodiac Symbols, Pentagrams, Goddess Symbols, and Stars (Pentacles).
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 9:47:44 AM
Thanks you guys. I do try to do different themes that I think may not be so widely used in the MP but then I'm also risking no one else having the same design taste as I do Laughing. I dabble with wedding invitations, but that's new... I'm not as great at is as others. Idk, when I first started my shop years ago, my cell phone cases sold a lot and now I rarely if ever sell one... I guess because they aren't in line with what is trending anymore OR there is so much in the MP that they can't be found. I'm not sure. I just wondered if there was some type of secret to get it up there in the earlier pages that I wasn't aware of.

I do try to promote, but I'm bad at that too. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 9:49:49 AM
Col's Creations wrote:

Lol, mine are after the fact announcements, like this one that I actually made as a joke and never expected it to sell. But it did so I made more!

This is one of those under served markets I was talking about.

I have never thought of this! I thought elopement announcements were redundant as well, but this is a great idea doing them as an after the fact informational thing.
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2019 10:25:09 PM
I love the elopement announcement and I pinned it to one of my Pinterest boards! Smile
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2019 10:49:14 AM
NorthernMaple wrote:
I love the elopement announcement and I pinned it to one of my Pinterest boards! Smile

Aw! thank you very much! Love
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2019 7:35:33 AM
Captured Designs by KC wrote:
Just wondering how do you get your products to stand out or land on earlier pages of the marketplace? For example: Say you're making a damask pattern monogrammed iPhone case. How do you tag or describe it so that it doesn't drown in the MP and end up somewhere lost in the back end where customers will never see it?

The only way to get a damask pattern monogrammed phone case to stand out at this point is to get a celebrity to promote it for you.
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2019 8:08:53 AM
chefcateringbizcards wrote:
Captured Designs by KC wrote:

The only way to get a damask pattern monogrammed phone case to stand out at this point is to get a celebrity to promote it for you.

HaHa yes. I just searched and there are 9,080 damask monogrammed phone cases.

To this end, I often search before designing to see if something I'm about to design is already flooded with that theme. If so, I need to tweak to add some flavor that isn't already over-represented (akin to an elopement announcement where the MP is flooded with wedding invites). In the particular example of damask monogram phone cases, the ribbon split technique is over-represented; splitting the phone into two design spaces using a ribbon, swash or bar and then having the monogram straddle that line. Less done- but still apparently popular given there are two examples on the first page- is incorporating some sort of animal. That gives you something else to tag. On the second page there are hydrangeas incorporated into the damask +monogram. So a tweak that can be tagged is a good idea.