Forget about getting paid on referrels
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2018 9:21:24 AM
Hi everyone. On Friday I marketed the 20% off everything on by social media. A follower responded my last post. Seen here:Paw Baby Instagram

They asked if I could customize a tote bag with their dogs. That's my thing. I do animal merchandise. They then asked if I would make a few more toted with collages of their family. After receiving all the pictures. Editing them. Putting them in collages. Adding them to bags..etc. I generated a link for them. I used the buyers mother name. So it would be unique. These gifts were for her.

link here: <a href="https://www.zazzle.com/pawbaby?rf=238676547629285547&tc=perla" rel="nofollow">Pawbaby</a>

My customer used link and paid for 5 items. These items cannot be seen from public. They are hidden being as they have his family pictures on them. I did not receive referral money on any of them.

This happened once or twice before. I didn't make a big deal because it was a mug here or a notebook there. This time I am mad!

Today: I spoke to zazzle. I was basically told that if I send a referral link to someone on 5 items I will only get paid on one. Needless to say I did not get paid on any. I think that's terrible.
I was on hold over 50 minutes on and off. That was my entire lunch hour. This is very unfair practice.

Why generate a link with their name?

Why spend countless hours marketing my stuff on social media?

Look at my last post. Paw Baby Instagram

Thats what got them to my site! They send me over 20 family pictures to put in collages and then tote bags.

so angry.
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2018 10:56:47 AM
Reading your post makes me cringe. Designers deserve to be paid referrals on every product they bring to Zazzle's table. After a year of massive marketing I have yet to see much in the referral section.

You have a right to feel bad for the treatment you received. Zazzle should be clear and in writing how we designers can take advantage of referrals. There should be no gray area, no on-the-phone blah, blah, blah from someone at Zazzle who could be wrong because nothing is in writing.

Perhaps Finnbar or a designer who has inside information can direct us with a thread with a firm policy on this kind of referral.
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2018 1:01:27 PM
Cherie De Sues wrote:
Reading your post makes me cringe. Designers deserve to be paid referrals on every product they bring to Zazzle's table. After a year of massive marketing I have yet to see much in the referral section.

You have a right to feel bad for the treatment you received. Zazzle should be clear and in writing how we designers can take advantage of referrals. There should be no gray area, no on-the-phone blah, blah, blah from someone at Zazzle who could be wrong because nothing is in writing.

Perhaps Finnbar or a designer who has inside information can direct us with a thread with a firm policy on this kind of referral.

The fact that these items are not even visable in my store make me crazy. The only way this purchase happened was my direct link. third party my *. this is such a scam.
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2018 1:40:14 PM
All designers can sympathize with you and have had this happen many times over and over, but this is not the forum to post this on. My feelings on the whole matter is just be happy you sold something.Grin
Posted: Thursday, May 3, 2018 11:13:21 AM
I would hold Zazzle's feet to the flames on this one. I did some custom work and provided a referral link and got the referral for the entire order.

I will agree that referrals are few and far between, even with very active social media exposure. But in your case, there's really no excuse, since there's no other way your customer could have gotten to the link. Also, links expiring really stinks.

Posted: Thursday, May 3, 2018 11:43:35 AM
There are many reasons why you may fail to get paid for a referral as another user posted in this thread https://forum.zazzle.com/promote/when_will_my_referral_show_up_after_a_sale_and

Zazzle's Referral Cookie is a 45-day cookie, but it can be overwritten after 30 minutes or so.

- If your friend clicked your link, and then clicked someone else's 30 or more minutes later, that other Associate got the Referral.

- If you friend clicked your link, and then clicked a Zazzle email link (such as "Welcome to Zazzle" after registering) 30 or more minutes later, then Zazzle got the Referral.

- If your friend clicked a Zazzle or other Associate's link and then clicked yours WITHIN 30 minutes, your Associate ID wouldn't override the first.

Off the top of my head, I can think of other reasons where the sale would be None, but not any other scenarios where it would be 3rd Party. Reasons for None sales after user clicks a link with an Associate ID:

- Cleared browser cache

- Cookies disabled

- Nexus state issue

- Stripped affiliate link

- If a customer cancels, then re-orders from their "saved for later" cart, no Referral is paid (haven't tested; read it here).
Posted: Thursday, May 3, 2018 12:38:58 PM
Emerald_Star wrote:
There are many reasons why you may fail to get paid for a referral as another user posted in this thread https://forum.zazzle.com/promote/when_will_my_referral_show_up_after_a_sale_and

Zazzle's Referral Cookie is a 45-day cookie, but it can be overwritten after 30 minutes or so.

- If your friend clicked your link, and then clicked someone else's 30 or more minutes later, that other Associate got the Referral.

- If you friend clicked your link, and then clicked a Zazzle email link (such as "Welcome to Zazzle" after registering) 30 or more minutes later, then Zazzle got the Referral.

- If your friend clicked a Zazzle or other Associate's link and then clicked yours WITHIN 30 minutes, your Associate ID wouldn't override the first.

Off the top of my head, I can think of other reasons where the sale would be None, but not any other scenarios where it would be 3rd Party. Reasons for None sales after user clicks a link with an Associate ID:

- Cleared browser cache

- Cookies disabled

- Nexus state issue

- If a customer cancels, then re-orders from their "saved for later" cart, no Referral is paid (haven't tested; read it here).

This pretty much explains why some may not get the referral
Posted: Thursday, May 3, 2018 4:32:00 PM
On December 7th, we sold 2 sets of these, which were our product posted on our Pinterest boards. We got $2.92 royalty and $1.95 or 15% of $13 referral.

On top of that the customer bought of 2 sets of these, which was not our product or anything that we promoted, again we got $1.95 or 15% of $13 referral.

On February 21st, another sold a pocket watch posted on our Pinterest boards and we got $4.80 in referrals. So, referrals are possible.
Posted: Thursday, May 3, 2018 5:24:03 PM
Christine wrote:
Emerald_Star wrote:

- Cleared browser cache

- Cookies disabled

- Nexus state issue

But why was she told that she would only make the referral on the first product of the bunch sold? That doesn't seem right.
Posted: Thursday, May 3, 2018 5:47:01 PM
On the sticker order that I çited above we got the referral on all four sets of stickers that were sold. Unfortunately, answers sometimes are as good as the understanding of the employee you are talking to. The mods can verify the accuracy of the statement made to the OP and then maybe look up the OP account and see which employee was probably giving out inaccurate information.
Posted: Friday, May 4, 2018 11:05:15 AM
@PixelPaintGraphics,

You are right, the statement that someone will only make a referral on the first product of the bunch sold is incorrect.

You will receive a referral based on the net sale price of the total order.

Hope this helps!
Best,
Elizabeth P.
Posted: Friday, May 4, 2018 6:34:05 PM
Elizabeth P. wrote:
@PixelPaintGraphics,

You are right, the statement that someone will only make a referral on the first product of the bunch sold is incorrect.

You will receive a referral based on the net sale price of the total order.

Hope this helps!
Best,
Elizabeth P.

How could that help the Op when she didnā€™t get the referral on any of the order? Z needs to make it right and seriously revamp the referral program or just kill it already. Quit stringing us along.

Agree with Cherie that some clarity is needed.
Posted: Friday, May 4, 2018 7:42:29 PM
We vote, "Please do not kill the referral program." I agree it shouldn't be a game of chance on getting the referral when you do as much work as the OP did but I will still want the chance to possibly earn referrals.
Posted: Saturday, May 5, 2018 1:33:38 PM
I have referrals.

Some is my product. A lot are other people's products. A few are bulk orders with several items from several different stores.

Just because you post a link and someone clicks on it does NOT mean it's going to convert. How many times have you poked around at amazon or ebay, checked out products, even added them to your cart, with no intention of buying, or buying now? Clicking in to get a better view, to look at stats of a product, to read reviews, to get ideas..??

I've walked people through creation and sales. I've lost referrals, even my own self sales.

The fact is, regardless of how much time and effort you spend on something, unless you are there, can clear the client's cookies and browser history, and reboot to a fresh frame to purchase, it is what it is.
Posted: Saturday, May 5, 2018 4:21:31 PM
So maybe it's best to charge more on custom orders, that way if you don't get the referral fee at least you'll make more for the extra work and if you do get the referral then it's like a bonus
Posted: Saturday, May 5, 2018 11:04:41 PM
Pixel Paint Graphics wrote:
So maybe it's best to charge more on custom orders, that way if you don't get the referral fee at least you'll make more for the extra work and if you do get the referral then it's like a bonus

This is the solution most of us have come up with Smile
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 2:15:00 AM
Christine wrote:
Emerald_Star wrote:

- Cleared browser cache

- Cookies disabled

- Nexus state issue

this
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2020 5:49:08 AM
The referral program works great for me Love
I have never had a problem with it.
Remember the old saying: "Don't Mess with Success"
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 9:37:50 AM
45 day cookie LOLOLLaughing
It's not even 45 minutes.

Several times I've made something for a friend, they'll put it in their cart because they are busy and go back later in the day to finish the transaction. I can ALMOST understand not getting the referral fee, but to be docked a third party referral? That is ridiculous.
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 11:26:31 AM
I had a Zazzle chat last night with someone who had purchased notepads from me before and wanted to purchase again but in a bigger size.
Zazzle doesn't offer the size she wanted.
I put the same design on a larger pad, really a lot bigger than what she wanted.
Also put it on two of the post-it note pads. I sent her the links.
She purchased 5 post it pads, but I didn't get a referral.
I guess maybe because I sent her the link from within Zazzle??? Which just stinks now the we have Zazzle chat.
What could I have done to get the referral for that sale?
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 11:29:37 AM
Its a 45 day cookie, assuming the customer in question does not click links from a zazzle e-mail (such as the "put in your email and get 20% off" popups), that they do not click on another designer's referral link. If either of those things happen, your code will be over written.

Now if the customer saw a design of your on zazzle, put it in their cart and left it there. Now its 43 days later, if they go to zazzle.com from the browser and sign in and go directly to their cart with your design and checkout, there is no reason why you shouldn't be getting that referral.

There's a lot going on behind the scenes on Zazzle's end but, the customers themselves can unknowingly lose designer's their referral fee and that's just how it is...
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 12:29:54 PM
randysgrandma wrote:
I had a Zazzle chat last night with someone who had purchased notepads from me before and wanted to purchase again but in a bigger size.
I put the same design on a larger pad, really a lot bigger than what she wanted.
I guess maybe because I sent her the link from within Zazzle??? Which just stinks now the we have Zazzle chat.

The only way is to make sure you get them to contact you via your own outside email account so that your referral link will bring them in from outside of Zazzle.

Personally I believe this has a lot to do with why chat was introduced. JMO

ETA: Then you still might not get it if cookies are disabled or they click another link that overrides your cookie but at least you have a chance.

Inside of Zazzle there is zero chance.
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 12:30:22 PM
randysgrandma wrote:

I thought I read a few weeks ago that referrals won't work with the chat, and that you need to ask for their email to send them the referral link that way.
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2020 10:02:56 AM
Maz wrote:
randysgrandma wrote:

I thought I read a few weeks ago that referrals won't work with the chat, and that you need to ask for their email to send them the referral link that way.

That was my understanding too Maz. Not everyone knows this though and has faith they will get the referral via chat.
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2020 12:36:26 PM
If I ask for someone's personal email won't that raise suspicions that I want it for spam reasons? Not sure I would give mine out in the same situation.
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2020 1:12:13 PM
randysgrandma wrote:
If I ask for someone's personal email won't that raise suspicions that I want it for spam reasons? Not sure I would give mine out in the same situation.

I would ask them to contact me via my email ( I have a special dedicated account just for this) that way you are not soliciting their email. Then send them the link and it brings them in from outside.
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2020 8:26:44 AM
The last time I've been paid for referrals was last September. I've tested it different ways, but my links don't work anymore.