Blogging to Generate Traffic 2 pages: [1] 2
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2015 12:54:46 PM
Hello Zazzlers, I didn't see a post for blogs in general, so I just made one.

I am wondering if anyone here has set up a blog to generate traffic. I have recently set up a blog with blogspot because I had used it for my previous blog, and I am pretty familiar with how it works. I hope my blog in combination with pinterest will be able to create some interest in my shop, but if it doesn't I will probably stick to it anyways because I find it fun. Smile

I still do want to attempt to get the most out of my zazzle blogging adventure, so I have a few questions for the bloggers out there!

For those who have a blog, how well does it work for you in generating traffic, and how often do you post?

Do you post about the products in your shop exclusively, or do you also post about other things (example, other peoples work, helpful resources, topics related to your niche)?

What blogging platform do you use, and what do you like about it?

Lastly, if there is a blogging community on here, I would love to see and follow your blogs!

My blog is http://tanyadraws.blogspot.ca. If anyone has helpful critiques or tips for me I would love to hear it. Grin

Thanks,
Tanya
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2015 1:10:49 PM
I'll start the ball rolling, Tanya. You've made a great start - it's a nice clean design Smile

My suggestion is to sprinkle your own (and others') product posts not too liberally between your non-product posts. The product ones should, at most, be 1 to 1 with the non-product ones.

Be niche and post about what you love Smile
After the "honeymoon" period with your new blog is over, you'll still feel good about keeping on keeping on!

Good luck,
~~Mark
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2015 2:18:48 PM
Cute stuff... I like your blog and designs. Your R vs. Z article was helpful. I find your main body text a little funky and hard to read at the current size. Would probably be fine bumped up in size a little.

My main blog is http://SuziQCreations.com and I also post products at http://www.suechastain.com. SuziQ Creations is split between Zazzle promo and and estore for my digital downloads. I use self-hosted Wordpress mostly because I'm familiar with it.

SueChastain.com is more of my online resume, but I created this page to make it easy for friends and family to find my Zazzle shops with a short, easy URL: http://www.suechastain.com/z/

On SuziQ my aim is to create more design-oriented pages (meaning the SEO is targeted for people looking for a particular type of design and the pages features multiple products all with the same design). On SueChastain I have been creating more product-oriented pages with multiple designs all on the same product. These are good for when Z puts something on sale.

I don't know which type is more effective... too new. But I have gotten referrals through my websites, so I know some people are coming through that way, and not just my family.

I have a lot more planned and got to get cracking. Smile I wish I found it more fun. For me it's tedious, but I know it helps so I keep at it. I don't post as often as I should.

I plan to post about other people's work eventually on SuziQ. SuziQ also has digital downloads and occasional tutorials.

I'd suggest getting your own domain name and hosting plan as soon as you can. You never know what might happen when you are piggy-backed on someone else's platform... that is why I went with self-hosted. Do domain name ASAP if it is available. You don't want someone else to snap it up. Hosting can come later.

Followed you on Twitter and Pinterest.

Edit to add: I have a third blog (actually this is my first blog)-- http://geekintheforest.com -- I don't blog about Zazzle there but I have some widgets displaying products.
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2015 4:39:26 PM
How do you get traffic to your blogs?? I have several blogs made with blogspot and get no traffic at all, correction, I think one of them got a couple of hits today. I used to post often and on a regular basis but the result has been so discouraging that I rarely post now. An to be honest I don't really enjoy blogging, maybe that's because I feel like I'm talking to myself.
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2015 7:07:54 PM
HightonRidley wrote:
I'll start the ball rolling, Tanya. You've made a great start - it's a nice clean design Smile

My suggestion is to sprinkle your own (and others') product posts not too liberally between your non-product posts. The product ones should, at most, be 1 to 1 with the non-product ones.

Be niche and post about what you love Smile
After the "honeymoon" period with your new blog is over, you'll still feel good about keeping on keeping on!

Good luck,
~~Mark


Thank you Mark for the advice! I am so used to making art blogs that I get a little carried away with the product displaying. I think having my products 1 to 1 with other posts would be a good way to pace myself and maybe get a good schedule going! I did sort of let my old blog die, but I made a tumblr daily drawing blog that I have shockingly stuck to, so I think with the same dedication I can stick to this one too! XD

Wow Sue, you are very busy! I love your patterns and its great that you offer digital downloads as freebies, people love stuff like that. Its great that you can be someone people to go for resources as well as directing people to your shop. Do you direct lots of people to your website through other streams or does SEO do the trick?
& Thank you for the suggestion, I thought the font was looking a little tiny, I will bump it up Smile I am following you on twitter and pinterest.

Waterart, I hope to find that out eventually! ;) The only blog I ever had good traffic to was an old illustration blog. I participated in an online group called illustration friday where you just draw their weekly topic, and that got me quite a bit of exposure at the time. This new blog I have doesn't get much traffic yet, though.
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2015 9:17:11 PM
waterart wrote:
How do you get traffic to your blogs?? I have several blogs made with blogspot and get no traffic at all, correction, I think one of them got a couple of hits today. I used to post often and on a regular basis but the result has been so discouraging that I rarely post now. An to be honest I don't really enjoy blogging, maybe that's because I feel like I'm talking to myself.


Do you have any other means to promote your stores? I have pages on fb, google +, and tsú as well as an Inspired Me twitter handle. I don't get great traffic because I have a poor following on all of those sites....

But I have imported the feed of my fb page on my website to act as a news feed between posts. and I have auto post set up for inspiredmestudio.com s RSS feed going straight to google + page and twitter which in ten auto posts to fb. Most of my genuine traffic comes from those social media links or my profile here. I think mostly because I don't blog anything people post into search engines... I blog solely about my art. And at the end of each post I link to a zazzle product that has art from that blog post.
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2015 9:54:05 PM
I like your designs! Looks like you have a great start to your blog too. I have a personal website through weebly (www.presentsoflove.com). I use it to feature some of my designs, some seasonal designs, my favorite designs from other zazzle artists and my blog.
I cover a variety of topics through my blog: new designs, new products in my shop and art process but also non-art topics such as organization (I just posted a free printable for a 10 day declutter game) and personal stories. Besides the blog, I have a Facebook page, twitter handle and instagram account. That's about all I can keep up with. ;0)
Best of luck to you!
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2015 2:00:08 AM
Cute blog :-) I have a blog about cats and advertise my Zazzle store on it as my products are all cat related :-) I only started it a few months ago and only get about 30 hits a day so we'll see ..

http://megzcatz.weebly.com/
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2015 7:39:28 AM
I as well do try to maintain a Blog, on Blogger. A personal one, and a Zazzle/business related. Not 100% sure how much business it actually brings me here, but I share some posts via Google+ and I do notice hits and sometimes a sale a day or so later. Most of my sales show no 3rd party referral anymore, they say None, so it is difficult to know, though sales are sales :-)

My business related Blog I tend to try to give some personal insight on what is behind the concepts of the designs and theme of my store. I mix it with personal anecdotes that often relate to the products I feature. I also love featuring people's designs whom I have run across that particularly strike a chord in me. I actually need to do this soon as I have not done a post like that for a bit and I enjoy them!

I enjoy blogging but have often wondered what will happen to it when I go one day lol!

Posted: Friday, January 09, 2015 8:38:25 AM
Tanya wrote:
For those who have a blog, how well does it work for you in generating traffic, and how often do you post?

I only get a small amount of traffic from my blog, but I imagine it varies greatly from person to person based on several factors. When I started, I was trying to do at least one entry per week.

Tanya wrote:
Do you post about the products in your shop exclusively, or do you also post about other things (example, other peoples work, helpful resources, topics related to your niche)?

So far, I've mostly just blogged about my own designs and the creative process. I decided early on that the emphasis would be on the actual art, rather than as a tool to drive sales.

Tanya wrote:
What blogging platform do you use, and what do you like about it?

Blogspot, for ease of use. I had actually set up the blog before I started my creative endeavors, and then largely forgot about it. So it was still sitting there, idle, when I finally found a purpose for it.

Tanya wrote:
Lastly, if there is a blogging community on here, I would love to see and follow your blogs!

Unfortunately, I haven't added anything to my blog in quite a while, because I haven't really been creating any new designs for the last 6 months that I deem worthy of showcasing. So no point in sharing it.

I'll be interested though in seeing how others are using their blogs - maybe I'll get inspired again.
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2015 9:05:42 AM
presentsoflove wrote:
I like your designs! Looks like you have a great start to your blog too. I have a personal website through weebly (www.presentsoflove.com). I use it to feature some of my designs, some seasonal designs, my favorite designs from other zazzle artists and my blog.
I cover a variety of topics through my blog: new designs, new products in my shop and art process but also non-art topics such as organization (I just posted a free printable for a 10 day declutter game) and personal stories. Besides the blog, I have a Facebook page, twitter handle and instagram account. That's about all I can keep up with. ;0)
Best of luck to you!


Thanks for the response! I love your website, and I like how you incorporate your blog in to it. Its cool how you add your personal interests to the blog, and bringing up the organization topic at the beginning of the new year with a printable declutter game is a wonderful idea! I really like what you have done with that. I can tell you have fun with your blog. Smile

MegzCatz, your blog is really cute and I love the background. I only started hearing about weebly through zazzle, but yours is the first weebly blog I have actually seen and its very nice. It looks like you have some fun adventures documented in your blog too! (I see that you went to a cat cafe! I wish we had them here, its the best thing I have ever heard of!).

Hi artbyjocelyn, thanks for the insight! I haven't really used Google+ as a social media resource yet, but I should seeing as I am using blogspot. Do you find running multiple blogs really time consuming, or do you set up a schedule?

Thank you for your feedback Felosarix! I have a separate art blog too for the very reason you said, I want it to be about my art rather than driving sales, though I do occasionally post especially pretty designs on my art blog.

These forums are so friendly, and everyones shared experiences so far are very interesting! Its neat to see all the different approaches.
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2015 9:24:35 AM
Tanya wrote:


Wow Sue, you are very busy! I love your patterns and its great that you offer digital downloads as freebies, people love stuff like that. Its great that you can be someone people to go for resources as well as directing people to your shop. Do you direct lots of people to your website through other streams or does SEO do the trick?


I share on Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook and G+ but I believe most traffic comes through search. I also have an email list started. I don't send that often yet, but once my customer base starts growing from the downloads, I plan to use that more.
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2015 2:47:36 PM
Hi Tanya, Your blog looks great so far... enjoyed the article! I also have a blog on blogspot which I have had for a few years now. I get steady traffic to it. I used to blog weekly but in the last year have slowed down on that but I do still try to write a blog every couple to three weeks or so!

I write not only to advertise my products but also to share knowledge of marketing tips, crafty things I'm doing, travel and pretty much anything I think will get people reading.

Just writing a blog won't get it in front of eyes, you have to market it on lots of social media sites and hopefully get people sharing it for you as well. Wishing you much success, it takes time but it will work if you persist. Here's my blog if you'd like to see it Shells Zazzle Journal
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2015 6:42:04 PM
Tanya wrote:
[quote=presentsoflove]MegzCatz, your blog is really cute and I love the background. I only started hearing about weebly through zazzle, but yours is the first weebly blog I have actually seen and its very nice. It looks like you have some fun adventures documented in your blog too! (I see that you went to a cat cafe! I wish we had them here, its the best thing I have ever heard of!).


Thank you for the sweet comments :-) the cat cafe I went to was so much fun, we are going again next month! I like how blogging is fun and creative, just like zazzle, it's good mixing the two.
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2015 10:38:53 AM
Great blogs, everybody. Here is the Hand Critters blog.
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2015 1:54:11 PM
seashell2 wrote:
Hi Tanya, Your blog looks great so far... enjoyed the article! I also have a blog on blogspot which I have had for a few years now. I get steady traffic to it. I used to blog weekly but in the last year have slowed down on that but I do still try to write a blog every couple to three weeks or so!

I write not only to advertise my products but also to share knowledge of marketing tips, crafty things I'm doing, travel and pretty much anything I think will get people reading.

Just writing a blog won't get it in front of eyes, you have to market it on lots of social media sites and hopefully get people sharing it for you as well. Wishing you much success, it takes time but it will work if you persist. Here's my blog if you'd like to see it Shells Zazzle Journal


Thanks seashell for the tips, I definitely have to work on marketing myself. I love the blog! I especially like the diversity in your posts, they are very well thought out and useful.

The Hand Critters blog is very cute! It displays your products very well.
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2015 10:10:18 PM
"Thanks for the response! I love your website, and I like how you incorporate your blog in to it. Its cool how you add your personal interests to the blog, and bringing up the organization topic at the beginning of the new year with a printable declutter game is a wonderful idea! I really like what you have done with that. I can tell you have fun with your blog. Smile "

============================
Thanks for checking out my blog and website, Tanya! You're right. I do enjoy my blog as a creative outlet just like I enjoy creating art. I figure, instead of focusing on just generating traffic, I may just as well have fun with it and the traffic will follow. :0)
Wishing you all the best for 2015!
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 3:23:03 AM
Hi Tanya, your blog looks great and thanks very much for the illustrator pattern tutorial.
I'm a big blogger fan too, it's so easy to use and customise.
Here is one of my blogs StrangeStore

I have four blogs and using blogger makes it very easy to link them all together in the nav. bar, so I get great cross-traffic, particularly from my very popular Pop Up Paper blog.

The best thing about blogger is the G+ integration, being able to use the G+ commenting system is a real boon. You will know when your post is shared and any comments on those shares, all in one place, it's genius. Importantly I have never ever had any spam.
I have a big following on G+ so sharing my blog posts on my Paul Stiickland profile and StrangeStore page gets a lot of traffic to the blog, which in turn brings traffic into the stores. I get more referrals from G+ than anything else.


A few tips:
• Use a tracking code yo your urls, eg. &tc=tanyablog or &tc=tanyatumblr, so that you can track any referral successes.
• Open a G+ account and share your blog posts on there. Google search will pick them up almost immediately. Don't forget to fill in your about page with links to all your stores, blogs and sites. Think of it as your online hub.
• Don't forget to provide links to all your other social media accounts on your blog.
• Consider opening an adwords account and putting a few ad widgets on the blog. It's very easy and adwords outperformed some of my Zazzle Stores last year!
• I think the social media share buttons on blogger are easy to miss, so I added the floating set on the left hand side from AddThis.com. Easier for me to use too!

Good luck!
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 2:12:45 PM
Hello Tanya

I use Blogger also http://movievigilante.blogspot.ca/

I use it to post topics about my niche (B-movies, cult film and obscure cinema) and occasionally include my products related to the topic. I like blogger because it's easy to setup and use and customize the templates.

I post irregularly when I find time. I would like to post on a more regular basis but it takes me some time to write some of the posts. Looking at my blog stats, some of my posts get decent traffic but I haven't made use of tracking codes to know how much traffic to my Zazzle store is coming from my blog. Regardless, I blog about something I love so any sales I get from it is a bonus.

I really like the clean look of your blog. I would like mine to look as clean and organized as yours. I need to work on that.

If you would like to get the word out even more about your blog and products, I invite you to join tsu. I've noticed quite a few graphic designers on there already. You can use my code to join if you want: tsu.co/movievigilante
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 9:18:20 PM
StrangeStore wrote:


A few tips:
• Use a tracking code yo your urls, eg. &tc=tanyablog or &tc=tanyatumblr, so that you can track any referral successes.
• Open a G+ account and share your blog posts on there. Google search will pick them up almost immediately. Don't forget to fill in your about page with links to all your stores, blogs and sites. Think of it as your online hub.
• Don't forget to provide links to all your other social media accounts on your blog.
• Consider opening an adwords account and putting a few ad widgets on the blog. It's very easy and adwords outperformed some of my Zazzle Stores last year!
• I think the social media share buttons on blogger are easy to miss, so I added the floating set on the left hand side from AddThis.com. Easier for me to use too!

Good luck!


Hi, I am glad you liked my tutorial, and thank you for the tips! This is so helpful. I set up my blog with my google+ page today (I had no clue that you could actually sync blog posts to G+.. how easy!), and I have been looking for a nice and quick way to add my social media so I will definitely check out add this.

I can see why your blogs are so popular, and I love your pop up paper blog! The things you showcase there are so fun and fantastic.

Hi Movieviewer, your blog is great! I just love that you have a post dedicated to "thankskilling" XD
Setting a blog schedule can be difficult, but I am finding the scheduling option on blogger really handy. It helps me use my really inspired want-to-write-everything days to provide content on days where I just don't feel like doing anything.
Tsu is new to me, I will have to look in to it! I think I will have to get the hand of google + before signing up for more social media though. One step at a time! ;)
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2015 3:54:30 AM
Hi! I have set up a blog on wordpress and I am working on it. http://tuscangarden.wordpress.com/ I find it difficult, but I am determined. I don't get much traffic and I would appreciate any kind of help!
I have a Fb page https://www.facebook.com/catland07 with almost 1000 fans (I started it about the same time as the blog) and a Pinterest account http://www.pinterest.com/elizabethmeyer9/ with 620 followers. I also created and maintain a web site for work and two relative Fb pages with over 1000 followers.
I am probably doing something wrong on the blog. Advice welcome!
I haven't found the courage to face Google + yetSad .
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2015 2:27:14 PM
elizme1 wrote:
Hi! I have set up a blog on wordpress and I am working on it. http://tuscangarden.wordpress.com/ I find it difficult, but I am determined. I don't get much traffic and I would appreciate any kind of help!
I have a Fb page https://www.facebook.com/catland07 with almost 1000 fans (I started it about the same time as the blog) and a Pinterest account http://www.pinterest.com/elizabethmeyer9/ with 620 followers. I also created and maintain a web site for work and two relative Fb pages with over 1000 followers.
I am probably doing something wrong on the blog. Advice welcome!
I haven't found the courage to face Google + yetSad .


Hi Elizme, I followed you on pinterest Smile I am still figuring out the whole traffic thing as well, I am starting from scratch with a very small following. Do you share things from your blog to your Facebook and pinterest pages? It sounds like you already have a nice audience that you could connect with on wordpress or google+. I really like how you have themed posts, and include products of your own as well as other products that fit with the theme. The images you use in your posts are very pinnable as well!
One suggestion I have is to write more about the items in your blog. Descriptive blog posts might make your blog more searchable and open it up to new viewers. I hope my limited knowledge helps, people have posted some pretty awesome tips on this thread that would be useful to you too. Good luck!!
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2015 2:37:59 PM
elizme1 wrote:
Hi! I have set up a blog on wordpress and I am working on it. http://tuscangarden.wordpress.com/ I find it difficult, but I am determined. I don't get much traffic and I would appreciate any kind of help!
I have a Fb page https://www.facebook.com/catland07 with almost 1000 fans (I started it about the same time as the blog) and a Pinterest account http://www.pinterest.com/elizabethmeyer9/ with 620 followers. I also created and maintain a web site for work and two relative Fb pages with over 1000 followers.
I am probably doing something wrong on the blog. Advice welcome!
I haven't found the courage to face Google + yetSad .



Hi I just checked your blog... cute collections. is that polyvore created?

One thing that popped into my head first as it does with any blog s what is t about? what am I reading? why should I stay reading?

obviously your blog s about gifts and each blog post reminded me of those mood board product pages that you see in magazines which polyvore emulates...but I didn't see much written content... there's no interesting written articles to give you a boost in seo.. each post takes a minute to scan through and not stay. the posts a various theme so I guess less time for each individual to stay on your blog unless they have eclectic tastes... I guess might be a good route for you to go is this look at those magazines that have pages like your blog.. and ask what do they have as well as those pages? that makes them more interesting than a catalog? to me it's stories and articles and the pictures/photoshoots. I think it would be a benefit if you also occasionally between your current posts added different content such as articles or stories (with pictures) that complimented the current theme of your blog.. it will give google something to pull for seo and also give more content to find in searches and keep visitors there longer when they come to you.

I'm not an expert... my blog traffic sucks too.. but as a potential reader that would keep me on your blog longer... having something to read in addition to being sold stuff in a mood board collection.

one thing you could do is blog diy gift craft how tos....... people are always searching for that and it might be popular traffic from pinterest. and its gift related.
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2015 4:06:11 PM
Thank You for your help! I'll try to write more content and see how it goes.
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 3:24:06 PM
I have had a bit of success with my blog: thingsivemadeblog.wordpress.com

When I first started it was kind of a hodge-podge of topics from my art to recipes and whatever I felt like, but recently I have made it more focused on my art and designs, while throwing in some advertisements for my Zazzle store (and other online shops)

I use wordpress and I like how it shows you clicks "out" from your blog so you can actually see if people are clicking through to the store. I do think I've gotten a few sales that way so I do believe it is fruitful.

I like how your blog looks. Are you also using Polyvore to make collages? I am on there as well, polyvore.com/julieerindesigns

Oh another tip for seeing whether or not your blog is sending traffic to your store is to add your store to google analytics.
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2015 8:59:12 AM
JulieErinDesigns wrote:
I have had a bit of success with my blog: thingsivemadeblog.wordpress.com

When I first started it was kind of a hodge-podge of topics from my art to recipes and whatever I felt like, but recently I have made it more focused on my art and designs, while throwing in some advertisements for my Zazzle store (and other online shops)

I use wordpress and I like how it shows you clicks "out" from your blog so you can actually see if people are clicking through to the store. I do think I've gotten a few sales that way so I do believe it is fruitful.

I like how your blog looks. Are you also using Polyvore to make collages? I am on there as well, polyvore.com/julieerindesigns

Oh another tip for seeing whether or not your blog is sending traffic to your store is to add your store to google analytics.


Hi Julie, I love your artwork! Its cool that you purchase your items and show pictures of how they look on, I've always wondered how the artwork finally looks on stuff.
I haven't been using polyvore but that sounds like a great idea! I have some anti-valentines day stuff that could be made into a cute little collage ;)
I didn't know wordpress shows clicks out, that is a very nice feature.
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 9:49:01 AM
Can anyone give me some advice on how I can make my blog more interesting - www.wildlife2.blogspot.com

Other than posting new products I don't know what I can do with it.
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 12:13:49 PM
waterart wrote:
Can anyone give me some advice on how I can make my blog more interesting - www.wildlife2.blogspot.com

Other than posting new products I don't know what I can do with it.

Watch some David Attenborough or similar documentaries and summarize some interesting bits for your blog.
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 12:50:05 PM
So are you saying make the blog appealing to nature enthusiasts?
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 1:48:38 PM
HightonRidley wrote:
waterart wrote:
Can anyone give me some advice on how I can make my blog more interesting - www.wildlife2.blogspot.com

Other than posting new products I don't know what I can do with it.

Watch some David Attenborough or similar documentaries and summarize some interesting bits for your blog.


I agree, add some interesting articles about animals and/or nature. You're in a spot I used to be in, where I didn't know where to go and what to do lol. I started designing law enforcement stuff years back as I'm a proud brother of a deputy sheriff. The police stuff led to firefighters designs.

When I wanted to start promoting those designs last year I didn't know how to go about it. What I decided to do was combine the designs I wanted to promote(mine and others in the same niche) with related articles. I'm not a great writer so I outsourced article writing. I find it well worth my time to spend a few bucks rather than try to come up with related articles.

I take the police and firefighting designs I like and throw in military. Heroes In Uniform was born! I'll be adding nurses and EMT after the site fills out a bit more.

Heroes in Uniform

A website has to have more than just zazzle products(or other affiliating). Search engines always want content to chew on.

I use a zazzle plugin and a site for both zazzle and amazon affiliating. I'm pretty new to the game so I just try my best Smile
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.
Print this topic
RSS Feed
Normal
Threaded