Affiliate Marketing on Pinterest 2 pages: [1] 2
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2019 4:06:36 PM
Hi all,

I've been trying to find official Pinterest statements regarding affiliate marketing on Pinterest. I have read plenty of blog posts about it but can't find anything in P help that address affiliate marketing.

The reason I ask is because I see a lot of my stuff being promoted on P, awesome, but those people don't indicate on their pins that they are affiliate marketers.

It is my understanding, FTC rules, that each pin should "announce" that it is an affiliate pin. Once upon a time #affiliate was all that was needed, but I'm not so sure that is the case anymore. That one hashtag may not be enough.

So I would also take any insight into that as well.

And I'm just curious about how affiliate marketing is handled in the EU, Australia and other places around the world.

It would be a shame to have all those pins promoting my stuff pulled, and to lose all my promoting efforts as well.

Thanks,

Josh

* Please provide links if you can. Otherwise please make sure that it is clear you are expressing your opinion or understanding of rules, regulations or laws. *
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 12:28:03 PM
Hi Josh,

You're pretty much asking the same thing that I'm having difficulty with understanding at the moment too.

Have you noticed that Zazzle is not making Pinterest templates on the create tool....I'm wondering why? Since, for the most part imho, that is the best source for making referrals and sales. So, I question what is the reason... And perhaps you've just answered my question with your question. Which I don't know the answer to, but can only assume that this is a tricky "dance" of sorts getting around the rules of current awareness of affiliate marketing.

Another thing, and I dare say this publicly...but I'm going to address the other issue I've recently questioned. And that is, has it been okay that Zazzle promotes collections on their collections page, who are promoting the brand partners? For instance, "best-selling" product collections of brand partners....and the use of tagging with brand-partner names for those best sellers.

Now in my mind, it is not that we've made any products with brand names, but that we've become affiliates of their brands to promote them and gain referrals. And, this definitely leads into your question. But, is it legal to use the brand names as tags in COLLECTIONS. I emphasize collections, as everyone thinks products....and of course that is not okay. But, collections as well as pins, that become affiliate selling opportunities fall into the same conundrum of awareness rules.

And in all honesty, until someone has a legitimate complaint against Zazzle doing this...I wonder how long it will happen? At the moment, I'm perfectly fine with things as they are...only because I hate change. But, I bet we'll start to see something regarding this because it's all very good questions.

Laura
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 12:56:32 PM
Many people on Pinterest (myself included) have a blurb on the profile page that says something like "my pins may contain affiliate links from which I may earn a small commision"

I haven't been adding #afflink to each pin and I daresay most affiliates probably don't either. Even a #ad hashtag would probably be sufficient.

I have never seen any official word from Pinterest on the subject but they did stop stripping affiliate links a couple of years ago, and that sends a message that they are okay with them, IMO.

I'll have to do more research about it.

Adding: the FTC research I did do about disclosure (for my blog) talked about having it or a link to a disclosure page displayed in an obvious place above the fold on every page, so the side bar of my personal blog website has it in bold red on every page. It is ugly but you can't miss it.
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:09:37 PM
Here is a link to a recent blog article about affiliate marketing on Pinterest and if you scroll to the end she talks about disclosure.

https://www.somtoseeks.com/how-to-make-money-on-pinterest-with-affiliate-links-in-2018/

This one is a little older but says basically the same thing.

https://momsmakecents.com/pinterest-affiliate-links/
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 7:21:03 AM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Here is a link to a recent blog article about affiliate marketing on Pinterest and if you scroll to the end she talks about disclosure.

https://www.somtoseeks.com/how-to-make-money-on-pinterest-with-affiliate-links-in-2018/

Very informative and good to know!!

Thank you Shelli!

Roses
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 8:49:39 AM
Laura Sweat wrote:

Very informative and good to know!!

Thank you Shelli!

Roses

Glad to help~ Smile
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 2:46:08 PM
Well I have thousands of pins and none of them have #ad or the like. I am wondering if I just leave them and change from this point on or go back and edit which seems like way too much work for thousands of pins.
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 3:46:03 PM
natureinfocus wrote:
Well I have thousands of pins and none of them have #ad or the like. I am wondering if I just leave them and change from this point on or go back and edit which seems like way too much work for thousands of pins.

I do too. Just add a blurb to your profile. That’s what a lot of us do.

ETA:this is not legal advice🤓
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 5:11:32 PM
@Shelli, thanks for adding some links. I have some to share too. Just haven't had the time the last many days. Maybe this weekend I'll have time.

I want to thank the people who reached out over P as well.

So far, I haven't been able to find anything "offical" or "legal" that has been issued by P on this subject.

I'll post the FTC stuff I found as well and the blog post that lead me to ask about the subject.

---

Non legal advise:

Anything you post that a customer can see without going to an account, a board or a webpage or blog should be identifiable by the viewer as an affiliate link. That information (this is an affiliate link) should appear "upfront" so a viewer know right away that this pin is an "ad."

-- If that message were added to the beginning of each pin description... well this is counter productive to how P's analytics like things.

At the very least you should # every pin. Options I've seen include but not limited to #affiliate #affiliatelink #ad #advertisment #affiliatead #afflink

I personally used #affiliate for a long time and since I read a blog post, I'll try and dig it up and post it, I now believe that if someone were to come after me legally, that simply using that # may leave me open to trouble.

Doing something is important, because you are telling the viewer that this item is not your product and that you are showing it to the world in an effort to earn some money. That is different than just posting something that you aren't trying to make money off of.

I'm really tired right now, but I just wanted to chime in on my post. Hopefully in the next few days I can post some links ...
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 5:41:52 PM

I have a blurb on my profile and on my Zazzle related boards. I don't have anything on my pins because I pull feeds via Nifty (like Shelli). I don't have time to go back into my thousands of pins to edit them. From this day forward, should I pin anything manually, I may add a blurb... but, then again, I doubt I will. Been at this a long while with no issue and, unless Pinterest contacts all of us with business accounts and tells us to change things, then I see no reason to.
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 5:44:23 PM
Would this hold true for Twitter also or is it obvious enough that it is a link to sell something?
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 10:48:39 PM
natureinfocus wrote:
Would this hold true for Twitter also or is it obvious enough that it is a link to sell something?

I think it’s obvious, there are millions of tweets and pins and posts all over social media that are lacking disclosure, but are obvious.

You know them when you see them.
This seems like one of those cases of rules that are nearly impossible to enforce.
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 4:38:40 AM
This is from the FTC.

"What About Affiliate or Network Marketing?

I’m an affiliate marketer with links to an online retailer on my website. When people read what I’ve written about a particular product and then click on those links and buy something from the retailer, I earn a commission from the retailer. What do I have to disclose? Where should the disclosure be?

If you disclose your relationship to the retailer clearly and conspicuously on your site, readers can decide how much weight to give your endorsement.

In some instances – like when the affiliate link is embedded in your product review – a single disclosure may be adequate. When the review has a clear and conspicuous disclosure of your relationship and the reader can see both the review containing that disclosure and the link at the same time, readers have the information they need. You could say something like, “I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.” But if the product review containing the disclosure and the link are separated, readers may not make the connection.

As for where to place a disclosure, the guiding principle is that it has to be clear and conspicuous. The closer it is to your recommendation, the better. Putting disclosures in obscure places – for example, buried on an ABOUT US or GENERAL INFO page, behind a poorly labeled hyperlink or in a “terms of service” agreement – isn’t good enough. Neither is placing it below your review or below the link to the online retailer so readers would have to keep scrolling after they finish reading. Consumers should be able to notice the disclosure easily. They shouldn’t have to hunt for it.

Is “affiliate link” by itself an adequate disclosure? What about a “buy now” button?

Consumers might not understand that “affiliate link” means that the person placing the link is getting paid for purchases through the link. Similarly, a “buy now” button would not be adequate.

What if I’m including links to product marketers or to retailers as a convenience to my readers, but I’m not getting paid for them?

Then there isn’t anything to disclose.

Does this guidance about affiliate links apply to links in my product reviews on someone else’s website, to my user comments, and to my tweets?

Yes, the same guidance applies anytime you endorse a product and get paid through affiliate links.

It’s clear that what’s on my website is a paid advertisement, not my own endorsement or review of the product. Do I still have to disclose that I get a commission if people click through my website to buy the product?

If it’s clear that what’s on your site is a paid advertisement, you don’t have to make additional disclosures. Just remember that what’s clear to you may not be clear to everyone visiting your site, and the FTC evaluates ads from the perspective of reasonable consumers."

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/ftcs-endorsement-guides-what-people-are-asking#affiliateornetwork

--

Will have to search through bookmarks to find the blog posts that made me really look at the issue.

--

Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 6:03:05 AM
Regarding Pinterest specifically.

I got curious what search results would look like for #ad #afflink #affliate tags...

searching #ad turned up pages of sponsered and promoted pins I saw a few from Zazzle but none from Zazzle associates.

searching #afflink, pages of lots of stuff, a few from etsy, but I didn't see any from any PODs or other places that I am familiar with.

searching #affliate, pages and pages of how to make money with Pinterest, some product ads that look like bloggers, some sponsered and promoted ads and one pin from a Zazzler.

#affiliatelink actually turned up more Zazzle pins and many were pinned using the nIFTTy scheduler with built in tags. I did see a few others even some from a Zazzler that I know. I won't call them out though.

It was interesting that I saw none from ArtPal, another site I know of where artists are automatically affiliates. I saw a few from Displate but not many.

I am thinking the results I see are a very small fraction of the pins that should have these tags.

The ones I clicked through to look at more closely had no other disclosure than the tags. Obviously I did not click them all.

Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 6:10:32 AM
Here are two interesting blogs posts.

From Jan, 2019: https://blog.venndy.com/the-legal-side-of-affiliate-marketing-what-are-ftc-regulations-and-how-to-comply-

this one was last update in Sept, 2019: https://www.privacypolicies.com/blog/ftc-affiliate-disclosure/

I still have not found the one that included legal advise that the P pinner was getting from their "lawyer" friend...

--

It is up to you to decide how you want to handle your business. But from what I can tell, P is not very likely to announce something before taking action. Much like Z.

All it would take is for a few (or many) people to file complaints with the FTC. The FTC would contact P and P would take immediate action. If it were a huge problem, then perhaps affiliate marketing may once again be something that P decides not to allow.

While I am personally happy to have any and all of my products promoted... I feel that if the promoter does not disclose that they are "advertising" said product, people can easily misconstrue that they are the creator of the product. And that's not right.

--

I'll update again when I find the blog post I've been looking for.
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 6:27:26 AM
JB Designs wrote:

All it would take is for a few (or many) people to file complaints with the FTC. The FTC would contact P and P would take immediate action. If it were a huge problem, then perhaps affiliate marketing may once again be something that P decides not to allow.

I think the biggest reason Pinterest stopped stripping affiliate links back in 2016 was because it backfired on them. I think they underestimated the numbers of affiliates that make up the body of pinners and not having them was hurting P's bottom line.

Quote:
While I am personally happy to have any and all of my products promoted... I feel that if the promoter does not disclose that they are "advertising" said product, people can easily misconstrue that they are the creator of the product. And that's not right.

I am not knocking how you feel about this but for me this is a non issue. I think most buyers don't pay a whole lot of attention to who the artist/designer is anyway. And I would not want to give the impression that I don't want to be promoted since 2/3 of my Z sales are 3rd party.

Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 6:55:26 AM
Regardless of what I or we think or feel, the fact of the matter is that we are legally obligated to disclose that a pin , post, etc has been made because we are hoping to earn from it and that the product is not ours.

Everything I have read has made that much clear to me. I am trying to find the finer points to figure out how to best continue to promote and to CMA at the same time.

I am not about to start reporting people for promoting my products. I too earn a great deal of sales through 3rd parties. And since we can't track down those 3rd parties we have no way of knowing who they are and if the disclosed their affiliate status. For all we know they have done exactly that and are operating in a legally sound manner.

Although I can say for sure that I have seen my products pinned on P without any disclosure. Those people open themselves up to legal actions that I'm not going to take... but someone else might not respond the same way in the same situation.

We all get to decide how we want to promote but I would think that operating according to the laws, rules and regulations is something everyone should strive for.

As for me I am still "playing" with how I describe and tag and am coming close to a formula that I think will be legal and successful in the land of P's bot/tech/computer driven system.

It is just another creative problem to solve. I most likely will not go back and change my old pins, they do almost all have at the least #affiliate in the description, but I will do better after testing a few new methods.
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 7:38:55 AM
Laura Sweat wrote:
Hi Josh,

You're pretty much asking the same thing that I'm having difficulty with understanding at the moment too.

Have you noticed that Zazzle is not making Pinterest templates on the create tool....I'm wondering why? Since, for the most part imho, that is the best source for making referrals and sales. So, I question what is the reason... And perhaps you've just answered my question with your question. Which I don't know the answer to, but can only assume that this is a tricky "dance" of sorts getting around the rules of current awareness of affiliate marketing.

Another thing, and I dare say this publicly...but I'm going to address the other issue I've recently questioned. And that is, has it been okay that Zazzle promotes collections on their collections page, who are promoting the brand partners? For instance, "best-selling" product collections of brand partners....and the use of tagging with brand-partner names for those best sellers.

Now in my mind, it is not that we've made any products with brand names, but that we've become affiliates of their brands to promote them and gain referrals. And, this definitely leads into your question. But, is it legal to use the brand names as tags in COLLECTIONS. I emphasize collections, as everyone thinks products....and of course that is not okay. But, collections as well as pins, that become affiliate selling opportunities fall into the same conundrum of awareness rules.

And in all honesty, until someone has a legitimate complaint against Zazzle doing this...I wonder how long it will happen? At the moment, I'm perfectly fine with things as they are...only because I hate change. But, I bet we'll start to see something regarding this because it's all very good questions.

Laura

Hi Laura,

Sorry for the delayed response. Life...

I am not sure why Z does not have a P section in create. If I were to guess, I would say that P accepts many different sized pins. Z does offer a custom size that could be used to make pin images in a variety of sizes. (This is an assumption, because I have not tried this newish tool.)

In regards to collections etc. I would imagine that Z has a "Contract" of some sort that allows them to promote those brand name collections. And since the items sold are Z's I don't know that they need to disclose anything. It is a good question. I haven't looked, but I also imagine we give Z the right to promote our wares as well.

As for brand names in our tags... I would think it could get us into trouble. I would think it would depend on whether or not that company has a copyright or trademark associated with the hashtag. It is a fine line that I am not qualified to answer... but I tried.

Cheers
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 7:42:44 AM
natureinfocus wrote:

Sorry for the delayed response.

Add something going forward. It would at least show good faith that you changed your ways after learning you should.

- I'm not a lawyer. Please consider that as non legal advise.
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 7:47:38 AM
Gina ©gleem wrote:

I have a blurb on my profile and on my Zazzle related boards. I don't have anything on my pins because I pull feeds via Nifty (like Shelli). I don't have time to go back into my thousands of pins to edit them. From this day forward, should I pin anything manually, I may add a blurb... but, then again, I doubt I will. Been at this a long while with no issue and, unless Pinterest contacts all of us with business accounts and tells us to change things, then I see no reason to.

I'm new to Niffty and have only one feed going for my products, but if I remember correctly I had the option to add #'s to the pins. It would be easy to add an affiliate hashtag as you create new pullfeeds.
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 7:58:21 AM
As far as hashtags for Pinterest, or advertising keywords in general, in regards to licensed merch, I think using those brands as keywords should be fine. We are not making knock off merchandise or using the tag as spam to falsely draw in views.

We are using them in a specific case of official merchandise that they have on Zazzle, and we are allowed by Zazzle, and by default the official brand stores by allowing those items for sale on Zazzle, to affiliate for them. How else would we get people to see those products If we don’t tag them as what they are?

In regards to how to make it clear that a pin is an affiliate product, if a hashtag isn’t enough what is? A big banner through the middle of each one that says that it is? I find all the FTC rules and such to be way too confusing and almost enough to make me want to back off the internet completely if I stress about it too much. How much is enough to make it obvious to everyone?

I like, like others here, just have a blurb in my profile that links may be affiliate links and I may make a small commission. I guess since I haven’t done this per pin for tens of thousands of pins I may be at risk. I’m not even sure the consequences of that risk...
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 8:02:45 AM
JB Designs wrote:
Gina ©gleem wrote:

I'm new to Niffty and have only one feed going for my products, but if I remember correctly I had the option to add #'s to the pins. It would be easy to add an affiliate hashtag as you create new pullfeeds.

Perhaps it works if using the Speed Sharer, but doesn't work when pulling a feed.
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 8:24:20 AM
Gina ©gleem wrote:
JB Designs wrote:
Gina ©gleem wrote:

Perhaps it works if using the Speed Sharer, but doesn't work when pulling a feed.

Gina, when you are in Ifttt and at the stage where you enter the Pinterest board title, scroll down and in the description block, just after the {{entry}} part, add in the hashtags you would like to display on every pin that applet pulls. I use that section every single time and it always adds my hashtags to the pin description.
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 8:43:50 AM
MelroseOriginals wrote:

Gina, when you are in Ifttt and at the stage where you enter the Pinterest board title, scroll down and in the description block, just after the {{entry}} part, add in the hashtags you would like to display on every pin that applet pulls. I use that section every single time and it always adds my hashtags to the pin description.

I have all the feeds I need now, so I will check to see if they can be edited.

ADDING:

Yes, they can be edited
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 9:21:10 AM
MelroseOriginals wrote:
As far as hashtags for Pinterest, or advertising keywords in general, in regards to licensed merch, I think using those brands as keywords should be fine. We are not making knock off merchandise or using the tag as spam to falsely draw in views.

We are using them in a specific case of official merchandise that they have on Zazzle, and we are allowed by Zazzle, and by default the official brand stores by allowing those items for sale on Zazzle, to affiliate for them. How else would we get people to see those products If we don’t tag them as what they are?

In regards to how to make it clear that a pin is an affiliate product, if a hashtag isn’t enough what is? A big banner through the middle of each one that says that it is? I find all the FTC rules and such to be way too confusing and almost enough to make me want to back off the internet completely if I stress about it too much. How much is enough to make it obvious to everyone?

I like, like others here, just have a blurb in my profile that links may be affiliate links and I may make a small commission. I guess since I haven’t done this per pin for tens of thousands of pins I may be at risk. I’m not even sure the consequences of that risk...

I'm thinking that we do not have to let anybody know that we are an 'affiliate' when we as designers (or solely as an affiliate who has a Zazzle account but who does not design, nor has a 'store' on Zazzle) pin a product that is being sold by Zazzle. Zazzle has an affiliate program in place, Zazzle is the company that makes money of the customer that may or may not buy through a pinned product showing our design. After a customer purchases a product we are being paid by Zazzle, not directly by the customer. All we are doing is directing potential customers to Zazzle. Whether or not it is through a pin that we have posted does not matter. Beside, we do not sell the product, all we are doing is submitting our 'designs' to Zazzle, who prints that particular design on a product when a customer makes a purchase. In short... we are advertising for Zazzle making use of their affiliate program which we can opt in to or out of.

Just my 2 cents... now back to work. Have a nice weekend everybody and lots of sales!
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 10:45:31 AM
Gina ©gleem wrote:
MelroseOriginals wrote:

I have all the feeds I need now, so I will check to see if they can be edited.

ADDING:

Yes, they can be edited

Glad I could help!
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 11:27:39 AM
JB Designs wrote:
Regardless of what I or we think or feel, the fact of the matter is that we are legally obligated to disclose that a pin , post, etc has been made because we are hoping to earn from it and that the product is not ours.

Everything I have read has made that much clear to me. I am trying to find the finer points to figure out how to best continue to promote and to CMA at the same time.

I am not about to start reporting people for promoting my products. I too earn a great deal of sales through 3rd parties. And since we can't track down those 3rd parties we have no way of knowing who they are and if the disclosed their affiliate status. For all we know they have done exactly that and are operating in a legally sound manner.

Although I can say for sure that I have seen my products pinned on P without any disclosure. Those people open themselves up to legal actions that I'm not going to take... but someone else might not respond the same way in the same situation.

We all get to decide how we want to promote but I would think that operating according to the laws, rules and regulations is something everyone should strive for.

As for me I am still "playing" with how I describe and tag and am coming close to a formula that I think will be legal and successful in the land of P's bot/tech/computer driven system.

It is just another creative problem to solve. I most likely will not go back and change my old pins, they do almost all have at the least #affiliate in the description, but I will do better after testing a few new methods.

I think you might have misunderstood my point about your feelings...with that I was only referring to how you feel about the promoter getting credit as if they were the designer..

I realize the rest of it is not your opinion.
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 11:37:17 AM
ArtAttic wrote:
MelroseOriginals wrote:

I'm thinking that we do not have to let anybody know that we are an 'affiliate' when we as designers (or solely as an affiliate who has a Zazzle account but who does not design, nor has a 'store' on Zazzle) pin a product that is being sold by Zazzle. Zazzle has an affiliate program in place, Zazzle is the company that makes money of the customer that may or may not buy through a pinned product showing our design. After a customer purchases a product we are being paid by Zazzle, not directly by the customer. All we are doing is directing potential customers to Zazzle. Whether or not it is through a pin that we have posted does not matter. Beside, we do not sell the product, all we are doing is submitting our 'designs' to Zazzle, who prints that particular design on a product when a customer makes a purchase. In short... we are advertising for Zazzle making use of their affiliate program which we can opt in to or out of.

Just my 2 cents... now back to work. Have a nice weekend everybody and lots of sales!

All good points and may explain why tens of thousands of pins, tweets and facebook posts get away with not having disclosure, and have for years.

Adding: I mean they would be easy pickings for any FTC agent to pursue.
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 11:52:52 AM
I went ahead and just cleared out all of my boards and started with fresh feeds that have #'s added (even though profile and board descriptions already have the blurb). I'm not concerned about anything, but you never know who will come up and "report a violation" (saying that while still reeling that a product (Luggage Tag) posted on my facebook business page came back as being in violation of fb terms *shakes head* Still awaiting word on what my review request will come back with).
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 11:56:11 AM
Gina ©gleem wrote:
I went ahead and just cleared out all of my boards and started with fresh feeds that have #'s added (even though profile and board descriptions already have the blurb). I'm not concerned about anything, but you never know who will come up and "report a violation" (saying that while still reeling that a product (Luggage Tag) posted on my facebook business page came back as being in violation of fb terms *shakes head* Still awaiting word on what my review request will come back with).

Facebook is getting stupid. I don't even bother with them anymore.