Should I make a website?
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 10:48:07 PM
Hello everyone!
So finally I reached a personal milestone of 5000 products! Now I am wondering if I should create a website to promote my products? I don't have any experience but I am willing to learn if it takes that. But the pertinent question here is if I should promote only via social media or create a website? Thank you!
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2014 9:17:15 AM
I'm in favor of doing absolutely everything possible to promote one's products. Happy

For my other business (not at all a Zazzle thing) I have a dedicated web site, Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest, plus several blogs that all drive traffic to the web site. Now I'm working on doing the same for my Zazzle store, though I probably won't build another web site because I already work way too many hours. For Zazzle, I have a blog and a bunch of Pinterest boards, the blog automatically feeding Twitter and Facebook.

One thing you could do to get started is to create a free blog (WordPress or Blogger) with which you could maybe pollinate blogs. I mean get people to follow you. Idea
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 3:45:56 AM
I'd say yes, but it is difficult to get traffic. We have one. Guess it can only help.

http://teepossible.com
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 5:22:08 AM
Yes you should definitely have your own website. The easiest way to make one is with weebly because they have a simple to use editor which makes it easy and fast to add zazzle products and make a professional looking site without any coding knowledge. My site www.personalizedbyu.com is made at weebly.
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 6:59:41 AM
I created this http://www.modernweddinginvites.com/ site a little while ago with weebly. I don't get lot of traffic yet but I hope to. It's easy and you can choose the free version and if you like it you can purchase your domain.
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 7:48:07 AM
We use Weebly for a couple of sites and GoDaddy for others. Both have drag and drop building tools. Most all do these days.

Weebly is free for one site but you will likely upgrade after a short while, like we did, to get access to more building modules, options and to create more web sites. So I would keep an eye on the costs of upgrading.

Weebly does not handle php files so you can not use the Zazzle store builder there.

Accelerate Your Zazzle Experience

References and resources.

Use the WWW link below
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 11:53:34 AM
Wow thanks for the feedback everyone. Your websites look brilliant. I don't think I have that skill level yet. However I think I should wait to see if people buy my products and earn a certain amount, lets say become basic proseller and then create a website. So I can gauge if my products are popular or not.Laughing
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 8:34:34 PM
Pixel Paint Graphics wrote:
Yes you should definitely have your own website. The easiest way to make one is with weebly because they have a simple to use editor which makes it easy and fast to add zazzle products and make a professional looking site without any coding knowledge. My site www.personalizedbyu.com is made at weebly.

iPage also has Weebly as one of their editor options. It's a pretty steep upgrade price though if you want more than six pages for your site.

I just published mine, which was created using the Weebly editor:

http://somethingartish.com/

I shudder to think how long it would have taken me trying to figure out everything coding it by hand. My html skills are pretty basic, so the drag and drop tools were a huge help. Probably the hardest part was figuring how I wanted to structure my site and what content to put up.
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 3:47:48 AM
For those who are HTML-challenged, there's software to vastly ease the pain. And even if you aren't quite so challenged, that software is, for the most part, a delight to use. I've been using Serif's WebPlus for a number of years, and the only downside is that it's caused me to forget a lot of coding I once knew because it's drag-and-drop, WYSIWYG. It's both freed me and crippled me because of the freedom.
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 5:47:53 AM
haha ... no no i was pretty interested in css and html. So i decided to go with wordpress. In that way I have so much freedom for customization. Will put it up when I can!
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 7:28:33 PM
Greetings,
In my humble opinion, a website is a key that unlocks your shop front. By providing people with your website, you can add it to blogs and forums anywhere. There are plenty of free editors out there and for those who think they cant create a website, well, you created designs and got them uploaded to Zazzle. You have the creative ability and technical understanding already!
Without plugging any one editor, might I suggest Understand HTML & CSS to learn basic HTML. You can use Notepad which comes with any Microsoft OS.
Also, you can search for free web hosting, but I might suggest Domain hosting.
Now, you can buy your own domain(a unique domain is a domain you buy giving it a unique name, like www.mywebsite.com) and providing that domain is available, you can purchase it from 1 year to several years for less than $50. You create your own website on your own PC, then using a FTP(File Transfer Protocol, usually available in the tools box hosted by the domain), you essentially copy the files from your PC to your domain/website. Its fairly simple, kinda like uploading images to Zazzle in the right directory.

HTML is very english like, it just uses a lot of tags. FTP isnt scary if you already are used to uploading images to Zazzle. Graphics, you can do yourself. Your own domain....Priceless!Grin

Mike Colclough
MilMerchant
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 4:29:54 AM
Hi Mike,
First off I am extremely grateful that you took time out to answer my question in detail. However, you would be glad to know that I did precisely that. Now, look I am no CS major, I am a 22 year old Electrical Engineer from India who just finished college. But I started looking into how to make a website a month ago. I finally bought a domain name on GoDaddy, bought hosting on HostGator, shifted the nameservers to Hostgator and finally set up my website on the Wootique theme from Wordpress.
This is the site www.quotesunleashed.com
Let me say there are a ton of things left for me to figure out. But honestly, I love it.I now have a basic grasp of HTML and CSS. It is an intoxicating journey and I hope to run the website till I have sufficient returns. I would be glad of any feedback you have to offer.
Thank you,
Aniket
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:20:03 AM
Your website is very impressive Aniket- congratulations!

I hope it translates into greater sales for you. As a student myself (also recently graduated) it's nice to hear of others following a similar path.

So how is the hosting turning out?- How is your SEO for example?

Please update us- I may also create my own website but at the moment the URL i would like is over $2,000 (shuttersnaps.com). Not realy an investment i would like to make at this early stage but who knows, in a few years i may be there. Saying that .co.uk seems available.

Edit: Bought shuttersnaps.co.uk
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 11:29:41 AM
Hey Tim! I wanted to get a hold of you! I sent a link to your Zazzle store on an article I wrote in my Website.
http://www.quotesunleashed.com/make-money-without-investment/
Check it out Happy Right, on to business. I would have to say don't get to attached to ShutterSnaps.com. Try for something similar, like shuttersnapsphotos.com. I looked it up and its available for 11.87$. I think more than your website name, the quality of your photos will shine through.
And the hosting is working pretty great. Okay I was going to suggest we connect by email but for some reason Zazzle is not displaying mine when I type it. So this will have to be how we communicate for now.
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 12:51:40 PM
I left a comment on your blog- thanks for the mention. I included my email address on there so hopefully you can see that.

I bought shuttersnaps.co.uk in the end. Have also bought hosting with hostgator.com. Trying to decide what i need to do next but the youtube link you left in your blog looks really helpful so i'll probably just follow that.

Thanks,

Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 8:32:32 AM
You can get a domain from Namecheap for around $11 and web hosting at A Small Orange starts at $35 per year. They have a promo now where you can get 25% off any plan with coupon ORANGEDRINK14

By the way, it's better to get a .com domain than a country specific one.
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2020 1:46:13 AM
As far as SEO is concerned, a website greatly helps. I believe my website children's stories help me to drive some SEO traffic to my zazzle store. Hope a website will help you promotional efforts too.
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2020 6:17:56 AM
This thread is 6 years old... Shocked

Posted: Friday, January 17, 2020 11:44:16 PM
Stick out tongue Bit out of date then!!!
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 3:57:34 PM
Not may emoijs here, but I think we could really use a zombie...
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 6:39:15 PM
Invincible Penguin wrote:
Not may emoijs here, but I think we could really use a zombie...

LOLLaughing