Question
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2019 7:31:07 AM
1) Questions: as a designer and I want to make art and purchase also for myself and use it as free advertisement, do I get a discount on items from Zazzle?

Example I make a cool photo art of flowers and cats, upload it and have it printed on a mug. would I be able to buy from myself with a discount, understanding that I may not make a sale, but I can use it and also make advertisements.

2) Next question, if I make customized photo gifts with family photo then upload it myself, would I be able to pay and have it shipped to the customer?
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2019 7:55:20 AM
You pay whatever the stated price is (maybe on sale) minus your royalty. (Otherwise, you'd be paying yourself your own royalty, which doesn't make a lot of sense.)

Yes, you can designate a different shipping address from your own.
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2019 8:12:52 AM
Thank you! I understand what you are saying. I was just wondering if the store allowed a discount for making our own design, to have and share for advertisement!
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2019 8:47:57 AM
We're expected to do our own advertising and aren't paid for it or given discounts for doing so. It would be nice, but nope, it doesn't happen.
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2019 9:03:38 AM
SMB Connections wrote:
1) Questions: as a designer and I want to make art and purchase also for myself and use it as free advertisement, do I get a discount on items from Zazzle?

Example I make a cool photo art of flowers and cats, upload it and have it printed on a mug. would I be able to buy from myself with a discount, understanding that I may not make a sale, but I can use it and also make advertisements.

I buy gifts and samples regularly. Typically, when you go to the check out page, you'll see "Designer Discount." That amount will be equal to whatever Royalty Rate you have set on that Product.

Last week, I didn't see the "Designer Discount." It was during that time when the then-current promo code wasn't working, so I contacted Support. After some back and forth, I was informed that instead of a Designer Discount, I would earn a Royalty for the purchase of my own Products. And, indeed, that's what happened when I made my next purchase.

So while it appears you won't get a "discount," you will get a Royalty, and the money will come back to you as Earnings. It also counts as "sale" of that Product in your stats.

My advice is to watch for a sale on whatever you want. Zazzle sales offer very generous discounts.

If you're not already signed up for the Associates Program, you could do that too. Then you could earn a Referral as additional earnings on your own purchases, which is a nice benefit.

SMB Connections wrote:
2) Next question, if I make customized photo gifts with family photo then upload it myself, would I be able to pay and have it shipped to the customer?

Confirming what Colorwash said, yes, we are allowed to have items sent to alternate mailing addresses.

If you are paying for shipping, there wouldn't be any problem, that I'm aware.

If you are a Zazzle Black subscriber, then you may send the occasional gift to another address, but it's against the terms to use Zazzle Black shipping as a drop shipping arrangement, like sending customer orders.

Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2019 10:06:02 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
Last week, I didn't see the "Designer Discount." It was during that time when the then-current promo code wasn't working, so I contacted Support. After some back and forth, I was informed that instead of a Designer Discount, I would earn a Royalty for the purchase of my own Products. And, indeed, that's what happened when I made my next purchase.

So while it appears you won't get a "discount," you will get a Royalty, and the money will come back to you as Earnings. It also counts as "sale" of that Product in your stats.

Good to know! I bet support will be getting lots of calls re "why aren't I getting the 'designer discount'?" until word of this change gets out.
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2019 10:06:07 AM
Well, gee, I didn't know Zazzle changed the "designer discount" so we pay full shot, including our royalty, and then wait to get the royalty reimbursed. Phooey. :-(
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2019 10:12:36 AM
Col's Creations wrote:
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:

Good to know! I bet support will be getting lots of calls re "why aren't I getting the 'designer discount'?" until word of this change gets out.

Yes. I didn't actually want to say anything, but Support didn't say it was confidential, and the new terms allude to it, so I figured it was fair game when it came up here.

It's not all bad, and it's the way it should be handled really. Anyone who was not counting the discounts as "income" previously (we all should've been) will be forced to do so now.

But every purchases is a bona fide bump for our sales stats now.
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2019 10:29:41 AM
It's simply money we didn't spend. Now, it's made to appear as money earned as opposed to money not spent. Money passing from the left hand to the right hand shouldn't be taxed.
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2019 10:57:11 AM
Colorwash wrote:
It's simply money we didn't spend. Now, it's made to appear as money earned as opposed to money not spent. Money passing from the left hand to the right hand shouldn't be taxed.

I am no taxing expert, so don't take this as law, but what I think is this: If Zazzle sells a product with my Design on it, Zazzle is supposed to pay me a Royalty, and that's income, and it's taxed. Whether I am the customer making the purchase or you are the customer making the purchase doesn't matter.

If Zazzle gives me a discount instead of a Royalty, then I may not be paying taxes on it because Zazzle isn't reporting it on my 1099 which makes it easier for me to not report it as income. That creates a compliance issue for Zazzle and a taxing issue for me.
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2019 11:32:28 AM
It isn't income. You were paid nothing. Unfortunately, you're paying sales tax on the whole number, including the royalty. You aren't, I'm sure, reimbursed for the tax you paid on it via Zazzle's obligation to pay the various state taxes.
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2019 12:18:08 PM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
Colorwash wrote:

I am no taxing expert, so don't take this as law, but what I think is this: If Zazzle sells a product with my Design on it, Zazzle is supposed to pay me a Royalty, and that's income, and it's taxed. Whether I am the customer making the purchase or you are the customer making the purchase doesn't matter.

If Zazzle gives me a discount instead of a Royalty, then I may not be paying taxes on it because Zazzle isn't reporting it on my 1099 which makes it easier for me to not report it as income. That creates a compliance issue for Zazzle and a taxing issue for me.

You don't report the difference on a discount as income in any country. There are barter deals where you have to evaluate the barter service with some kind of average market value and pay income tax on that.

But the discount difference is neither an expense nor income on any tax report. The final price is what counts.
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2019 1:15:40 PM
No, a discount isn't necessarily income. Let's say Zazzle gives all Bronze Level Designers a 10% discount over sales prices. It's an equal discount to all Bronzes and not based on Royalty Rate of a Product and applies to all Products whether they are my or someone else's design. That's a discount which I would say is not income.

And there are times when a discount may be given in lieu of income, and I would say that is classified as income. By giving us a discount equal to the amount of a would-be Royalty and in lieu of giving us a Royalty, that discount I would say would be construed as "payment" of a Royalty.

To the casual gift-giving purchaser, probably not a big deal. At some dollar amount of purchases, that could add up for one person. Across all of Zazzle, it could amount to a lot of unreported income.

Saying again I think that is the issue.

Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2019 1:23:16 PM
It's still money not spent, not income. No one is paying you anything, and because they've paid you nothing, you've no tax obligation on it. A discount isn't income nor is a refund.
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2019 1:38:01 PM
Colorwash wrote:
It's still money not spent, not income. No one is paying you anything, and because they've paid you nothing, you've no tax obligation on it. A discount isn't income nor is a refund.

I don't believe it's quite that black and white. In this case, Zazzle is choosing between giving you the Royalty or the discount. That associates the the discount with a Royalty and a Royalty is income.

But I'm not going to argue the point further. I am saying what I think is so. Plus I have zero say over what is or isn't given or how anyone does their taxes. ;)
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2019 2:52:22 PM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
Colorwash wrote:

I don't believe it's quite that black and white. In this case, Zazzle is choosing between giving you the Royalty or the discount. That associates the the discount with a Royalty and a Royalty is income.

But I'm not going to argue the point further. I am saying what I think is so. Plus I have zero say over what is or isn't given or how anyone does their taxes. ;)

Be peaceful. No one is fighting with you; simply discussing.
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2019 4:15:26 PM
Colorwash wrote:
Be peaceful. No one is fighting with you; simply discussing.

I am, I know, and I agree. ;) I know how I and my account handle that situation, and so far, so good.

Perhaps I should've said "debate" the point. Either way, my brain can't do taxes and legal terms on the same weekend.
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2019 2:19:32 AM
In the end, whether it’s taxable or not, the discount isn’t quite what we usually see where a person gets a percentage off the base price. Thus the confusion about what is and isn’t earned.