Profile completion: customize a product?
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2017 11:09:44 PM
Does anyone know that if you need to have products set to public to get the 10% for customizing a product under your profile? I've got numerous products that I've made via both QC and one by one, but still can't get the 10%. All my items are set to hidden though.
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2017 11:28:55 PM
I think you need to go to a Public Product and customize it. Try one of the Zazzle "blanks" here: https://www.zazzle.com/zazzleblanks/products?pg=1&sd=desc&st=date_created

Smile
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2017 11:34:46 PM
Hey! Thanks for the quick response! I did that. From the main page already for a handful of products. I'm wondering if it's because they're hidden? They've already shown up in my New Products section.
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 12:09:02 AM
Maybe try a random Product from the Marketplace then? It's been so long since I had to do it, I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure it needs to be a Product that's not yours.

Smile
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 3:06:56 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
Maybe try a random Product from the Marketplace then? It's been so long since I had to do it, I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure it needs to be a Product that's not yours.

Smile

I never did that. It's the precursor to buying someone's product, one that's not your own.
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 4:33:27 PM
What did you do Colorwash? To get the points for customizing a product? I've been told it doesn't matter if your profile gets to 100%, but it's kinda driving me nuts. Grin
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 5:13:01 PM
I went back and looked at the zRank requirements. It looks like they want you to create a product that is customizable by the customer via having a template the customer can fill in.
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 5:29:44 PM
Sharon wrote:
Does anyone know that if you need to have products set to public to get the 10% for customizing a product under your profile? I've got numerous products that I've made via both QC and one by one, but still can't get the 10%. All my items are set to hidden though.

Your Profile isn't, as far as I know, connected to your zRank or any store rank/completion, and I'm pretty sure this requirement doesn't have anything to do with actually purchasing an item. Everyone has a Profile and only Designers have stores. So I believe it's just an 'exercise' to show how Zazzle products may be customized, and everyone does it.

If you haven't tried it, go to the Marketplace and try customizing a random Product, and let us know how that goes.
Smile
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 5:34:31 PM
To be more specific, try a Public Product from the Marketplace which has a Template Field, like a Business Card or Invitation. (Not the "Customize Further" option - just a simple Template Field."
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 5:48:57 PM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
To be more specific, try a Public Product from the Marketplace which has a Template Field, like a Business Card or Invitation. (Not the "Customize Further" option - just a simple Template Field."

I did a baby announcement and put it in my cart. Hasn't changed yet, but I'll wait and see.
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 5:49:12 PM
Susannah Keegan wrote:
I went back and looked at the zRank requirements. It looks like they want you to create a product that is customizable by the customer via having a template the customer can fill in.

Ok, I'll try that.
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 8:08:19 PM
Yes Sharon. That is what you need to do. Create a customizable product with templates for the customer to fill out and post it for sale. It can be quite simple, even just adding a name, monogram, or photo.
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 11:33:05 PM
Thanks Elke! I made one baby shirt with a template object on it. It's hidden though. I'll wait a few days for it to show up in my products. Hiding everything until I"m ready to launch in the spring and past the crazy holidays!
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 7:49:10 AM
Sharon, I am pretty sure that does not count. It may have to be public. I am wondering why you are waiting to make things public, when you are missing out on the best shopping time of the entire year. Even if you store is not "ready", some of your products may start selling. That is all that matters. Stores evolve over time but sales need time to happen. So take advantage of this busy time of year to get the most eyeballs (customers) on your products. I hope that helps.

Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 8:11:46 AM
Sharon wrote:
Thanks Elke! I made one baby shirt with a template object on it. It's hidden though. I'll wait a few days for it to show up in my products. Hiding everything until I"m ready to launch in the spring and past the crazy holidays!

Keep this in mind:
Your "store" isn't at all like a brick-and-mortar store where the shelves have to be filled. It's really just a place where you build your collection of products and where you do all your maintenance work. It's a known fact that Zazzle customers visit the marketplace far more than they ever visit our individual stores, so you're only hurting yourself by not going public with your products. As Elke said, you're missing out on the best shopping time. The next won't occur for another whole year.

Spend the bulk of your hours creating the best products you can, then spend the time that's left making your store pretty because that simply isn't as important as having great designs that customers are attracted to in the marketplace.
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 12:27:01 PM
Colorwash wrote:
Sharon wrote:

Keep this in mind:
Your "store" isn't at all like a brick-and-mortar store where the shelves have to be filled. It's really just a place where you build your collection of products and where you do all your maintenance work. It's a known fact that Zazzle customers visit the marketplace far more than they ever visit our individual stores, so you're only hurting yourself by not going public with your products. As Elke said, you're missing out on the best shopping time. The next won't occur for another whole year.

Spend the bulk of your hours creating the best products you can, then spend the time that's left making your store pretty because that simply isn't as important as having great designs that customers are attracted to in the marketplace.

Great advice, Colorwash.
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 12:42:15 PM
Sharon wrote:

With due respect to everyone, OP is asking about Profile Completion.

This is the task list for a STORE:
STORE COMPLETION
0%
Upload a store logo (+15%)
Add a banner image (+10%)
Fill out your story (+10%)
Create 10 store products (+20%)
Create 10 store collections (+20%)
Share 10 store products (+10%)
Share 10 store collections (+10%)
Upload 10 media items (+5%)

This is the task list for a PROFILE:
PROFILE COMPLETION
5% (Presume this is create account, b/c it's 5% before I did anything)
Tell us your name (+15%)
Upload a profile picture (+15%)
Like 20 products (+10%)
Create 5 collections (+10%)
Customize a product (+10%)
Share a product (+10%)
Share a collection (+10%)
Write 5 comments (+15%)

Since every user has a PROFILE and only some users have STORES, it doesn't make sense that the requirement to "Customize a product" involves publishing a Product or that it's relative to zRank.

I really think (and very vaguely recall) it's simply customizing a Product with Template fields.

Posted: Thursday, December 14, 2017 8:09:20 PM
I'm waiting because my niche doesn't really have a main season, so I'm not sure I'm missing out. I guess officially the main season would be August, not December, and if FB groups and ads are right, there's much more advertising in July and August than December, for my niche at least. But I guess you guys are right, I could put some designs up. Not many, since they seem to be stuck in a queue for approval, even the ones I've made one by one.

Anyways, I customized a product of my own. Plus customised someone else's product (of a baby announcement, because, hey, why not?) AND stuck that one in my cart. Still not getting the 10%. Oh well, I'm stumped. Laughing

Thank you all for your help. Really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I actually wasn't going to start working on Zazzle until next year, like a New Year's Resolution, but I've got a lot of downtime at work. I choose my niche because I'm trying to raise awareness about a topic near and dear to my heart. Getting the word out and in the public, seems to be a great way to do that. With Zazzle, that's possible.
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2017 3:07:03 PM
It changed! I was clearing out my saved designs and deleted it. A pop up came up saying there was a problem. And then my percentage changed!
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 5:19:43 PM
I got to 100% in both my profile and my store!
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2018 1:36:52 PM
I am having this same issue. Does it take some time to register in the system? I found a public product, clicked on Personalize. I also created another product from scratch and made it into a template. Still no change in the profile %. What am I missing?
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2018 4:21:47 AM
Carolyn wrote:
I am having this same issue. Does it take some time to register in the system? I found a public product, clicked on Personalize. I also created another product from scratch and made it into a template. Still no change in the profile %. What am I missing?

You don't have to customize someone else's product. That wouldn't make sense, but unfortunately, Zazzle never clarified the requirement.

Also, setting a product as a template isn't the same thing as creating a product that has an image or text template in it. These templates show up on the product's page beneath Personalize and are created while you're in the design tool. (Yes, if you're new to Zazzle, templates can be utterly confusing because there are several kinds.)
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2018 4:39:22 AM
Thanks. I think I have done everything, but I'm not getting that last 10% for profile completion. Maybe a bug in the system.
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2018 4:42:48 AM
Maybe it's a matter of waiting. Things tend to not happen instantly around here.
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2018 10:03:31 AM
Carolyn wrote:
Thanks. I think I have done everything, but I'm not getting that last 10% for profile completion. Maybe a bug in the system.

yes, I would check it again in a day or two to see if the indexing is just slow.
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 5:57:13 AM
My Profile Completion is still at 90% with the Customize a product link under it. Should I post this under Technical Issues, or do the Zazzle techs read other sections?
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 6:41:12 AM
There is a very similar issue already on their radar but yours is slightly different.

You might go ahead and report it to tech and see what happens.

Be sure to give them links or screenshots and details like product id numbers ect...

"Issue: Sharing products doesn't count towards zRank/Store Completion
Forum link:
https://forum.zazzle.com/technical/product_sharing_not_counting_towards_zrank_store"
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 7:04:12 AM
Carolyn wrote:

Neither of these is customizing a product. You need to go to one of your own already published products, click on the customize button, change the image, and post it for sale.
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 7:15:03 AM
Thank you, Maz. I did that just now -- let's see if it works.
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2018 7:59:34 AM
I had the exact same issue with the missing 10%. Support services gave me the link to this forum. I created one new product with a template item FROM the blue link that said 'customize a product for +10%'. My designer profile changed instantly from 90% to 100%. Thank you support services and thanks to all who have posted help in this link! I hope my note will be helpful to the next person who is trying to figure this out.