ONE YEAR IN: My Personal Thoughts
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2019 6:47:51 AM
Hi everyone! My name is James and I've been designing on Zazzle for about one year and would like to share my experiences and thoughts about the site. The sense of community over competition in this forum has provided me with so much help and guidance and I want to provide my own insights to anyone who may be starting out. In this post, I hope to highlight things that have worked for me and answer questions I know I had when I first started.

Don't expect instant success.

A zazzle store takes time to build up. With a marketplace with over 65 million products, it can also be hard to get noticed. You're probably wondering how many products you need in. your store to succeed, however I cannot answer that question. It all depends on you design experience, marketing experience, social influence, and motivation behind you shop. However, if you really need a number, shoot for 1000 products. By that time, you will have learned more about descriptions, tags, designing, and promoting. Even with this large number, you should value quality over quantity. Few will buy a low quality design while many with buy a great one.

Titles, Descriptions, and Tags

Unless you're driving all the traffic to your site, you need to pay attention to your title, description, and tags. This is how people will stumble across your designs. People can't buy what they don't see.

Do your own promotion

You must market your own products. As mentioned before, you are a drop in the ocean when it comes to 65 million other products that have been here for years. It's easy to get buried under everyone else so those first few sales are crucial to ranking up.

Your first sale

Congrats! Nothing will feel better than getting your first royalty! However, many people don't see their first sale for a long time. My first sale came at about 2 months and my second sale came 2 months after that. It's easy to get discourages in the beginning and wonder if you're wasting your time.

Products and Designs

Experiment with different designs on different items. You may be surprised as what your top sellers are!

How much will you make

Again, it all depends on your circumstances. This time, however, I really can't give you a hypothetical number to look for,

Overall Thoughts

I am extremely happy with my experience at Zazzle and am glad I chose this print on demand company to work with. Both experienced designers and admins are more than happy to help you on these forums and guide you in the process. I will definitely be continuing my shop here and expanding my stores. Put the work in and you'll get rewarded for your efforts.

Anyone else approaching your 1 year mark or others who want to weigh in? Let's hear your thoughts below and let me know if you disagree, agree, or want to add anything else to this discussion.
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2019 8:58:01 AM
Good advice James and congrats on your first year at Z!

It sounds like you are on the right track and I can tell you have gleaned from the forums which are an invaluable free resource to all designers, not just new ones.

Here's to many more years of success and that we always remember to have fun with it.

Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2019 11:29:49 AM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Good advice James and congrats on your first year at Z!

It sounds like you are on the right track and I can tell you have gleaned from the forums which are an invaluable free resource to all designers, not just new ones.

Here's to many more years of success and that we always remember to have fun with it.

Thank you! You and everyone else on the forums have been such a great help and motivator especially during slow beginnings. Hope for another successful year to you too!
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 4:07:20 AM
Beautifully written and motivational post, James. I certainly would love to begin an adventure on Zazzle after reading this. Thanks so much for posting. We wish you continued success with your store. Roses Roses Roses
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 1:32:35 AM
Great post James, and yes I love Zazzle too and it is very rewarding.
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 1:06:22 PM
James, congrats on your first year! Thank you for sharing such an insightful and well written post! I am new here and really needed this. I concur with you, the support is amazing on here. All the best with your continued success.
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2019 8:22:15 AM
Great post!

I've been here since January and just this week received my first sale. I have other shops elsewhere (digital downloads) and know it can take a long time but I had just about decided to give up on Zazzle. But, getting that first sale has gotten me busy working on my shop here again.

And I agree - everyone here is amazing and helpful and I'll be glad when I can start giving back.
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2019 4:34:43 PM
LavenderMintGraphics wrote:
Great post!

I've been here since January and just this week received my first sale. I have other shops elsewhere (digital downloads) and know it can take a long time but I had just about decided to give up on Zazzle. But, getting that first sale has gotten me busy working on my shop here again.

And I agree - everyone here is amazing and helpful and I'll be glad when I can start giving back.

congrats! the first sale is an amazing feeling