Newbie 2 pages: [1] 2
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2018 6:25:55 PM
Hello everyone! My name is Michelle and I am very new to Zazzle. I know I don't have enough items in my store yet but I am optimistic and adding a few items every day. I've read most of the forum posts on how to get started, hints, etc. I know this will be redundant but could anyone give me feedback on what I have so far? I've tried to pay attention to tags, descriptions and I believe I have a variety of products to offer. Any feedback would help. Thank you! I am excited. I've also been sharing away on Facebook, Pinterest, etc. Laughing
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2018 8:08:07 PM
Michelle Nadasi wrote:
Hello everyone! My name is Michelle and I am very new to Zazzle. I know I don't have enough items in my store yet but I am optimistic and adding a few items every day. I've read most of the forum posts on how to get started, hints, etc. I know this will be redundant but could anyone give me feedback on what I have so far? I've tried to pay attention to tags, descriptions and I believe I have a variety of products to offer. Any feedback would help. Thank you! I am excited. I've also been sharing away on Facebook, Pinterest, etc. Laughing

You CAN NOT use Cheetos. https://www.zazzle.com/mom_coffee_mug-168531530560720201

I don't think you can use this image of a car: https://www.zazzle.com/boys_i_love_cars_pillowcase-256127499465010308

And a quick internet search brought me to Lorikeet, which would bring more attention to your Rainbow bird https://www.zazzle.com/rainbow_bird_photo-190624267622419650

Read more about descriptions and keywords. It's a lot of tweaking to get things right, but once you "get it", it goes quicker.
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2018 12:30:02 AM
Think about how products will look when they're made and used. A fridge magnet has teeny tiny text that won't be readable. The socks have text that would run from the side of the foot to under the foot. For text to appear on the top of the sock, it needs to be rotated to match the angle on the foot part of the sock, and placed nearer to the top of the foot area. If you're having trouble visualising products, use a ruler and measure out the stated sizes. For something like a sock, get a sock and look at where the parts go on your foot.

You can make text into templates, so that people can easily change it. When you have the text selected, click the three dots symbol in the design tool. Select "Make this a template object". Change the product page label to something sensible.

You know your tagging game is there when you have ten tags per product and you haven't repeated the same word in most of them. Try to mix specific and general terms. That's your rainbow bird issue, because you've gone with the general (it's a bird) but not the more specific (it's a parrot) and the very specific (it's a lorikeet). The "ostrich" is actually an emu. But that aside, you've gone the other way in tags, where you call it an ostrich four times, but don't mention that it's a bird.
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2018 4:11:32 AM
Thank you so much! Still learning everything. I will change up and use your suggestions. I am really confused about templates. I tried looking it up in the forums. What is the difference between someone editing the product when I use a template vs when I didn't? Thanks for all your help!
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2018 4:22:59 AM
Generally when people are referring to templates, they're talking about an image that a customer can replace or text that the customer can change to personalize it.

For instance, let's say you have a photo of your baby that's meant to be replaced by the customer with their own baby. It becomes a template only when you choose that option in the design tool. Look for "...More" and click it. You'll be able to choose "Make this a template object" and also write a descriptive or instructive phrase such as "Replace with your baby photo" in the box for "Product page label." The same holds true for text you might add to the design where that text is meant to be altered by the customer. You can add the line "Jeremy Soothsayer" and turn it into a template in the same way.

Unfortunately, the term "template" is also often used for the product blanks on which we place our designs, particularly for those using Quick Create, but in the case we're discussing here, it's referring only to those images and text we set up for the customer.

Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2018 6:43:56 AM
Michelle Nadasi wrote:
What is the difference between someone editing the product when I use a template vs when I didn't? Thanks for all your help!

If you provide templates, customers will see a box with the text they can change, or indications that they can swap a placeholder image with their own, right on the product page.

If you don't provide them, customers have to know that they can 'customize' it, how to get to the design tool to do that, and how to use the design tool. Some will, but many may not.
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2018 7:37:29 AM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:
Michelle Nadasi wrote:
What is the difference between someone editing the product when I use a template vs when I didn't? Thanks for all your help!

If you provide templates, customers will see a box with the text they can change, or indications that they can swap a placeholder image with their own, right on the product page.

If you don't provide them, customers have to know that they can 'customize' it, how to get to the design tool to do that, and how to use the design tool. Some will, but many may not.

Shorthand version: the KISS principle, but in this case, it's specific to making everything as much a no-brainer as possible for the customers who shouldn't have to work hard to spend their money.
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2018 10:34:31 AM
Thank you so much! I have spent a good majority of the day (i have a sick kiddo at home)"fixing" the store. I'm sure I have a long way to go, but the more I work at it the more I'll learn. Grin
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2018 6:05:12 PM
Wow!Shocked You have a great start to your store and some creative stuff in there! I would say you're adding more than just a few products a day. You joined around the same time I did, and you have more than 3 times as many products in there. I've been trying to add as much as possible, but it takes so much time, which I don't have a lot of. I really enjoy creating everything, though. Have also been taking a lot of time to learn as much as I can about this whole business, reading the forums, blogs, etc., and then I just got myself a new computer with Windows 10, so have been trying to familiarize myself with that. I'm used to using Windows XP. Big difference!

Anyhow, have fun and good luck to you!Smile Love Love Love
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2018 4:49:10 AM
Karen Coffelt wrote:
...and then I just got myself a new computer with Windows 10, so have been trying to familiarize myself with that. I'm used to using Windows XP. Big difference!

I adored XP, and then when forced to go to Win 7, I spent about a week reigning it in to keep it from interfering with work. If there are things in version 10 that drive you nuts--and they will because you've been using the XP workhorse--search for solutions on the internet.
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2018 9:27:37 PM
Colorwash wrote:
Karen Coffelt wrote:
...and then I just got myself a new computer with Windows 10, so have been trying to familiarize myself with that. I'm used to using Windows XP. Big difference!

I adored XP, and then when forced to go to Win 7, I spent about a week reigning it in to keep it from interfering with work. If there are things in version 10 that drive you nuts--and they will because you've been using the XP workhorse--search for solutions on the internet.

I loved XP, also! It was so much easier to find my photo files. I had everything organized in folders. I tried making an album, and the photos are in the album, but when I try to access them through Zazzle or Facebook, I can't find the album. They're lumped in with a bunch of other photos, all in different folders, and it makes it so much harder to find anything. I don't know if I'll be able to organize them to where I'll be able to find things easily when trying to upload a photo to Zazzle or Facebook. Very frustrating!
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2018 3:22:37 AM
I don't know if Win 10 has a "Library" like the one in Win 7, but if it does, this may be the wall you've hit with organizing photos. Create your own images folder, and within it, create individual folders just as you probably did with XP. There's something I no longer remember about not allowing things to go into that library, but I know I did just that. Definitely, run searches on taming version 10.

It's not just us. I was friends with a software engineer at a software company, and he told me he had a computer at work that he steadfastly kept running on XP so he could get his work done.
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2018 3:36:20 AM
My experience is simple: after three weeks of dealing with Win10 I switched to Linux Grin
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2018 3:41:11 AM
It's like TV shows. It's good? It's a top show? Good, let's change it. (Show is canceled after being changed.)

I've never seen Linux in action. My impression is that not all software will run on it. Is this true?
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2018 4:07:08 AM
Some software designed for Windows doesn't work in Linux (the saddest example is Photoshop and, IIRC, all Adobe programs) but there is software that is like carbon copy of Windows programs (like, Libre Office that is free and is almost exactly like Microsoft Office). For graphic design, there is Gimp (I don't like it at all and don't use, it is not even close to Photoshop) and Inkscape (which I love and use for creating vectors all the time). To work with Photoshop, I had to create a virtual machine with Windows, and as I focus more on vector graphic than on pixels, I don't use it very often, so I am very content with this solution, as I don't have to deal with all the Win10 stuff which I don't need but can't delete (and, to be honest, I severely dislike such an attitude from a vendor so I was like "Ok, bye!" and never regretted Smile)
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2018 4:11:47 AM
I've been using Photoshop for 20 years (have stopped with CS3, refuse to "rent" the software), so I'd be lost without it! There's another piece of software that I dearly love and is for Windows only, not even a Mac.
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2018 4:16:21 AM
Yeah, I know, not everyone can switch to Linux because they use software that is for Windows only. A virtual machine is not a solution then because you'd spend all the time in it and it would be just a waste of memory (RAM).
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2018 5:37:47 AM
If only more of the software companies would recognize the viability of Linux!
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2018 6:09:04 AM
Karen Coffelt wrote:

I loved XP, also! It was so much easier to find my photo files. I had everything organized in folders. I tried making an album, and the photos are in the album, but when I try to access them through Zazzle or Facebook, I can't find the album. They're lumped in with a bunch of other photos, all in different folders, and it makes it so much harder to find anything. I don't know if I'll be able to organize them to where I'll be able to find things easily when trying to upload a photo to Zazzle or Facebook. Very frustrating!

I have Windows 10 and have made my peace with it. The key is to ignore the "helpful" features they put in.

1)Completely ignore the Photos section in Windows 10. Pretend it doesn't exist. You have already discovered why it is so unusable but you don't have to use it.

2)Among all the squares representing apps (most of which you won't use) on the Windows 10 Start screen, there is one called Desktop. Click on it and never look back.

3)Once you are on the desktop, which is reminiscent of the XP desktop, you can make your own picture folder and subfolders. Just right click an empty space on the screen and choose 'New' from the dropdown then choose 'folder'.

4)Picture folders made here will be accesible to the Zazzle Image uploader, just choose Desktop when it asks where on your computer you want to import from.

5)It doesn't have to be on the desktop as such either. When you are in Desktop mode, look on the bottom bar and you should see a manila folder that is File Explorer. Click on that and under This PC you should see a folder called Pictures and whatever is in the app should be there too. From there you can make your own subfolders and rearrange. It is also accesible from the Zazzle Image uploader. Zazzle can see anything on the Desktop, it just can't see the Windows 10 apps, since that photo app is really just for social media sharing.

As far as I can tell, that awful Photos App that came with Windows 10 is functional only for people who do nothing with photos but share them on social media. It is designed around making it easy to import/export photos from smart phones and share photos with various social media apps like facebook or twitterbut if you are doing literally anything else with your photos, it is non-functional. It must have come from a focus group of young people (none of them art students) whose sole use for photos is to post to twitter/tumblr/whatever apps they are using. (I excepeted art students because probably 90% of them use their photos as a base for art projects like we do and so need better access to them).

Posted: Friday, February 09, 2018 6:16:07 AM
How do companies manage their day-to-day business if they use Windows? Does Microsoft have an OS designed for work? (When running his business, my husband stayed with DOS so he could get his work done.)
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2018 6:22:44 AM
Colorwash wrote:
How do companies manage their day-to-day business if they use Windows? Does Microsoft have an OS designed for work? (When running his business, my husband stayed with DOS so he could get his work done.)

Mine uses Windows. There is no special OS. People simply never go to the Start screen (filled with App icons as though it were a giant phone) and all work is done on the Desktop side. Microsoft Office is fine. No complaints there. They just tried to make Windows 10 look like a giant phone screen so the young people would like it. This is useless for business (and us) but can be ignored in Desktop mode.
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2018 6:59:42 AM
I'll have to tell my husband about Desktop mode because he works summers at a yacht club where they're using Win 10. He hates it, can't find anything, and has been questioning for a year where Windows Explorer went. No one at the club likes it.
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 6:12:51 PM
Susannah Keegan, thank you for all that helpful info!Smile So when I move my pictures from the Windows 10 picture app to the desktop folders, they'll still show up in the picture app?
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 2:09:31 AM
Karen Coffelt wrote:
Susannah Keegan, thank you for all that helpful info!Smile So when I move my pictures from the Windows 10 picture app to the desktop folders, they'll still show up in the picture app?

Yes, they will be in both places.
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 6:10:30 AM
Colorwash wrote:
I'll have to tell my husband about Desktop mode because he works summers at a yacht club where they're using Win 10. He hates it, can't find anything, and has been questioning for a year where Windows Explorer went. No one at the club likes it.

Windows Explorer, does it prompt when you right click the Start key like older Windows versions? I'm running 7.
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 6:14:06 AM
RGebbiePhoto wrote:
Colorwash wrote:

Windows Explorer, does it prompt when you right click the Start key like older Windows versions? I'm running 7.

I'll have to mention it to my husband. Maybe it'll work for him. So far, he hasn't been able to find Windows Explorer at all on the work computer, but this is neither here nor there since he can't find anything unless it leaps out at him.
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 6:20:09 AM
It isn't called Windows Explorer in Windows 10. The new name is File Explorer. The Windows icon key+E opens it.
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 6:23:51 AM
I just talked to my husband, and it turns out the work computer has Windows 8, so I guess all bets are off.
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 10:37:29 AM
Michelle Nadasi wrote:

I think you're on the right path. I like the home made cutesy feel of your designs.
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 11:37:29 AM
Colorwash wrote:

No special OS. The short version: Thanks to me, my department no longer supports a bewildering number of computer makes & models; a situation created by an outdated policy of buying individual replacements as older systems would break.

Instead, we now have a replacement schedule, and we buy in bulk, with most users getting systems that have the same make, model, and specifications. Buying in bulk allows us to create a base 'image' that we can apply to each new computer we set up, instead of having to start from scratch every time. Think of it as a collection of all the tweaks, settings, drivers, etc. needed to make computer conform to the standards we've developed to make it work in our environment based on users needs, our network configuration and security requirements.

So, no special OS. We make it bow to our will, instead of letting it break ours.