New Zazzle User
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2018 6:54:39 AM
Greetings!

Earlier this year, I decided to open up a Zazzle store, but attracting viewers has been a bit of a slow process thus far. I mainly draw cartoons and have been trying to create unique designs that are funny or uplifting.

Here is the link to my store: https://www.zazzle.com/bradsmusings. I only have around 90 products at the moment.

I just wanted to ask for your feedback and advice. Thank you in advance for your help!
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2018 7:22:51 AM
Welcome to Zazzle!

I picked your latest product to look at. Here are some things to consider:

-You've put your design and text out of the safe zone, which means they can be cut off during printing. Just click "customize" on your product--see the dotted green line? Everything important must be kept inside that green line. The way you have it now, the C in Christmas and the right side of Santa's face are likely to be lost.

-Your description needs fleshing out. All you have is "Santa Claus Christmas ornament" but you can and should go much further. Tell people it's a cartoon drawing, a portrait, etc.

-Your text is not a template for people to change. You make your product more appealing by giving customers the opportunity to easily write something else. Ask for instructions if you don't know how to do this. Smile

-Your tags are santa claus,santa claus ornaments, christmas ornaments, ornaments, santa, cute santa, santa ornaments, cute, cute ornaments. You shouldn't use the word ornament as a tag, because Zazzle adds that term for you. You don't need to repeat words, so no need to repeat Santa and cute over and over. Try to find other words that describe your product--the kind of art, any text that's there, colors, etc.

Hope this gives you a little to think about!
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2018 7:43:27 AM
My advice is pretty much the same thing we tell all new sellers:

Title / Description / Tags matter tremendously.

Your titles are too generic. A search for moons, stars, throw pillows returned 1,310 results. How are you going to make yours stand out?

If it helps, remember that you're relying on a machine to match your items to people's search terms. This means you need to describe your items in detail, as if you were talking to someone who can't see it. That said, do not give in to the temptation to simply stuff your descriptions full of keywords. It still needs to be intelligible to a human being.

With regard to tags, do not tag for the product type. Zazzle adds the product tag themselves.

Using 'art' as a tag by itself probably isn't very effective, either. What style of art is it? Are the colors bold, or muted?

Lastly, I see a magnet where the art doesn't fully cover the printable space, leaving areas of white above and below. If your art doesn't fit the product as is, create a version that will, or choose a product where it does.

I hope you find the above advice helpful.
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2018 8:31:27 AM
You've been given excellent advice, so instead of adding to that, I'd like to compliment you on what is essentially folk art, a genre I've always been partial to. I enjoyed looking through your products because of it.
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2018 9:29:23 AM
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2018 9:47:39 AM
Thank you all so much for your advice and kind words. I really appreciate it!
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2018 9:58:46 AM
hi Brad and welcome!

I can't really add much to the great advice you have already gotten except for this, I noticed you are leaving out important details in your titles like color and style.

for instance the Seahorse design could be titled "Cute Pink Cartoon Seahorses Pattern"

The funny cow could be "Funny Smiling Cartoon Coffee Loving Cow"

This kind of thing will help search engines find you when people are searching for patterns, pink things,seahorses,cute cartoons,coffee themes,smiling cows,funny cartoons etc...

hope this helps...Smile
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2018 7:55:45 PM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:

I would say "Smiling Coffee Loving Funny Cartoon Cow"... but I can't tell you why, and I'm not sure if it would make a difference. File under "things that make you say 'hmm...'." ETA: Or maybe even "Coffee Loving Funny Cartoon Smiling Cow". Oh, dear.

Of course, I also come from a family in which "Throw me down the stairs my hat" makes perfect sense.
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2018 9:27:30 PM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:

I would say "Smiling Coffee Loving Funny Cartoon Cow"... but I can't tell you why, and I'm not sure if it would make a difference. File under "things that make you say 'hmm...'." ETA: Or maybe even "Coffee Loving Funny Cartoon Smiling Cow". Oh, dear.

Of course, I also come from a family in which "Throw me down the stairs my hat" makes perfect sense.

I just pictured your hat throwing you down the stairs... not good! Laughing
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2018 3:55:24 AM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:

Often, I have to make a choice between an attractive title and a search-friendly title. Occasionally, it's even painful.
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2018 7:19:42 AM
I've given up on titles that are nicely written months ago. I have the dreaded keyword stuffed titles and do the best I can with them. There are only so many ways to be unique and descriptive and fit all the words into the characters given.

So I think that all of the coffee cow titles are valid titles that can be used to switch things up, especially when designs fit on "this style only" and you end up having to make multiples of the same item in different sizes.
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2018 8:06:41 AM
All great advice from these Designers (who consistently review and offer advice to new Designers; nicely done!).

I just want to add something about Tags.
AugieDoggyStore wrote:
-Your tags are santa claus,santa claus ornaments, christmas ornaments, ornaments, santa, cute santa, santa ornaments, cute, cute ornaments. You shouldn't use the word ornament as a tag, because Zazzle adds that term for you. You don't need to repeat words, so no need to repeat Santa and cute over and over. Try to find other words that describe your product--the kind of art, any text that's there, colors, etc.

I know the advice all around is to not use the Product type in the Tags, but I often do it in just one tag. This is especially import, IMO, in alternative use Designs for Products (Response Cards as Bookmarks, for example). So I go against the grain on that advice.

On the part above I underlined, we have a lot more room in each Tag than most Designers use. A lot of high-level Designers even, and while I'm not one, I have found that my tagging works best when I think like the Wheel of Fortune game "before and after."

As an example (without looking at your Product; just @AugieDoggyStore's paragraph), I would use cute santa claus ornament. That gets all the words in. Since exact matches typically rank higher for searches, I have 4 exact matches in that one tag. So cute santa claus ornament offers exact matches for -

- cute santa
- cute santa claus
- santa claus
- santa claus ornament

In one Tag.

I can't prove that Zazzle's algorithm pulls exact matches out of long-tail Tags, but I've seen it on my own Products.

Then I'd do as noted by @AugieDoggyStore - color, art style, more adjectives (because words like "cute" and "vintage" ARE searched), and alternative names for Santa Claus (Kris Kringle, for example).
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2018 8:24:44 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
I know the advice all around is to not use the Product type in the Tags, but I often do it in just one tag. This is especially import, IMO, in alternative use Designs for Products (Response Cards as Bookmarks, for example). So I go against the grain on that advice.

That's the one exception I would make as well; awards being used as standing paperweights makes for another example. This is one alternate use case scenario where it makes some sense to put in your alternate product tag. With the new product tree options, it's also possible to put them with the other paperweights.

RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
On the part above I underlined, we have a lot more room in each Tag than most Designers use. A lot of high-level Designers even, and while I'm not one, I have found that my tagging works best when I think like the Wheel of Fortune game "before and after."

As an example (without looking at your Product; just @AugieDoggyStore's paragraph), I would use cute santa claus ornament. That gets all the words in. Since exact matches typically rank higher for searches, I have 4 exact matches in that one tag. So cute santa claus ornament offers exact matches for -

- cute santa
- cute santa claus
- santa claus
- santa claus ornament

In one Tag.

I can't prove that Zazzle's algorithm pulls exact matches out of long-tail Tags, but I've seen it on my own Products.

I think it's more like proximity matching. In theory, exact matches should probably come before proximity matches in the search results, but I don't know if that's really the case in practice here. But it does seem that the search can look within the long-tail tags for matches on a single tag, and I presume for proximity matches that are a close equivalent to an exact match as well.

I try to be mindful of how the order of tags would support this when tagging (if I take the time to remember, instead of getting impatient to finish one product and move on to the next.)

ETA: Just noting for new designers that stumble upon this thread that one should avoid the temptation to stuff a bunch of keywords inside quotation marks; whatever goes inside should be a relevant and intelligible phrase. "funny lost alien" makes sense. "green lime chartreuse fancy unique trendy" does not.
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2018 8:46:10 AM
Almost all of my products have to do with golden retrievers, so there are only so many ways one can come up with a unique title. Some of mine are decidedly goofy.

RoyK_is_a_She wrote:

I agree to definitely put in a product type for alternative uses. Don't see the point in adding it otherwise, as it's in your title, probably your description, the Zazzle category tree, and Zazzle adds it to your tags. On the other hand it doesn't hurt anything to put it there if you feel like it.
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2018 7:13:54 AM
Hello again!

First off, thank you all again for your kind and friendly help! I have been trying to use the excellent advice I received to improve my products and store.

AugieDoggyStore, thanks again for the advice on my Santa ornament! I have now redone the product. I focused on cleaning up the keywords, improving the product description, keeping it in the green lines and adding personalization.

RoyK_is_a_She, thank you for your advice as well! The new product is named "Cute Santa Claus Ceramic Ornament." I also used your ideas for tags and included "Kris Kringle" and "St. Nick."

Shelli Fitzpatrick, thank you for the excellent titles! I am now using both "Cute Pink Cartoon Seahorses Pattern" and "Funny Smiling Cartoon Coffee Loving Cow." However, I also like "Smiling Coffee Loving Funny Cartoon Cow," Fuzzy Felosarix!

I have also revisited a few other older products and created a couple of new ones, trying to use what I have learned here. I was just wondering if I'm starting to get on a better track. If you could please let me know, I would really appreciate it!

Thank you all so much!

Brad