Is the potential real? 2 pages: 1 [2]
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2019 6:53:40 AM
JMHO, The potential is real, but, you have to be willing to devote more time and energy to the project than you spend in raising a child to the age of 21. You would have to cram more than 24 hours into a day and eat, think and breath Zazzle sales. Not many have the motivation, inspiration or faith in themselves and Zazzle to do it. I also think that if you can get to the point where you are making a decent living, it gets easier. I really don't know for sure because all I have been able to achieve is just a little money to ease the pressure of trying to live on SS income.
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2019 9:59:00 AM
templeofswag wrote:
Shocked

Pro Diamond: Earnings of $500,000 and up

Maura Reed https://www.zazzle.com/mbr/238784733912876160

Jennifer https://www.zazzle.com/mbr/238514331490316065

Jennifer Cambray https://www.zazzle.com/mbr/238640686067985882

Kathleen Fusinski https://www.zazzle.com/mbr/238117703313422154

Kristine Juckiewicz https://www.zazzle.com/mbr/238268158663897865

Pro Platinum: Earnings of $250,000 and up

Terry https://www.zazzle.com/mbr/238166637468502737

Amy Marsh https://www.zazzle.com/mbr/238988414664219412

Nichole B https://www.zazzle.com/mbr/238521347396551976

Jess https://www.zazzle.com/mbr/238415876466474673

Pro Gold: Earnings of $100,000 and up

Blush Paper Co https://www.zazzle.com/mbr/238994287300015958

Becky Nimoy https://www.zazzle.com/mbr/238174814038280309

There is potential for anyone willing to put in the effort. Don't ever let anyone el you that you won't succeed. If this is what you want to do, then go for it. Have patience. Have fun.

Yesterday I read something really wise in the last place where I expected to find wisdom, on Twitter:

Quote:

Bad persistence:
Endlessly doing the same thing with no success.

Good persistence:
Continuously tweaking your approach until you get results.

(source: https://twitter.com/TheStoicEmperor)

I think the list you made is quite useful for us all, to look at these people's profiles and stores and learn: what do they do different from us? What kind of products/collections do they have and especially what do they sell? I see there are mostly invitations to weddings/bridal showers/baby showers/birthdays and other matching products related to such occasions, like stickers for those invitations or for favors [later edit: also business cards]. So, those for whom Zazzle is just a hobby, ok, create what you like - but those who want to make more money, let's follow their example. That's what I try to do now.
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 1:19:12 AM
RetroVintageStore wrote:

I think the list you made is quite useful for us all, to look at these people's profiles and stores and learn: what do they do different from us? What kind of products/collections do they have and especially what do they sell? I see there are mostly invitations to weddings/bridal showers/baby showers/birthdays and other matching products related to such occasions, like stickers for those invitations or for favors [later edit: also business cards]. So, those for whom Zazzle is just a hobby, ok, create what you like - but those who want to make more money, let's follow their example. That's what I try to do now.

It seems that Zazzle has been featuring Weddings more and more as the popular wedding season starts in late spring.
There is a Weddings menu on the top of the Home page all the time.

If you want big sales, think when people place bulk orders.
They are invitations, announcements, cards, etc. for life events and seasonal events.

I first opened my store as a T-Shirt shop, yet, I created some Christmas cards and postcards at another store last year, and they sold well.
I will try photo cards this year.
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 6:40:31 AM
It seems to be all about weddings and paper products now. That leaves a lot of us out in the cold, but I get it. It's apparently where they're making money, so we either have to adapt, or be content with whatever crumbs fall our way.

Crumbs for me, in that case.
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 7:28:10 AM
RetroVintageStore wrote:

Good luck trying to go fishing at a lake that is already overpopulated - and overfished - by established long-term Pros, that have - in Zazzle's case - an omnipresent presence in the market place and enough cash and power to speed things up with appropriate promotion and ads. You're better advised to find your own niche and fanbase, where you aren't subject to such huge competition.
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 7:37:35 AM
Felosarix wrote:
It seems to be all about weddings and paper products now. That leaves a lot of us out in the cold, but I get it. It's apparently where they're making money, so we either have to adapt, or be content with whatever crumbs fall our way.

On the other hand, Zazzle still has the best combination of overall print and product quality, assortment and designer tools. As long as they offer me hundreds of nice products, good printing and product quality and practical designer and customizing tools, they can focus on whatever they want... I don't care. I must say, though, that I'm here to sell my stuff on nice products, not to sell products with my stuff on it. Two very different animals.
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 9:33:00 AM
PetsDreamlands wrote:
Felosarix wrote:

On the other hand, Zazzle still has the best combination of overall print and product quality, assortment and designer tools.

Which is a big factor in why I stick around.

PetsDreamlands wrote:
As long as they offer me hundreds of nice products, good printing and product quality and practical designer and customizing tools, they can focus on whatever they want... I don't care. I must say, though, that I'm here to sell my stuff on nice products, not to sell products with my stuff on it. Two very different animals.

Same here. I'm an artist(ish) looking for ways to merchandise my work. But I get the impression that the people who have the best success here are those who design for specific products. Which makes sense, since people are not coming here because they're looking for things made specifically by me.

And if they're coming here looking for paper products or wedding-themes...

Oh, well. I just have to keep doing my thing, with the understanding that my way of doing things probably isn't going to net me more than a couple of sales per month.
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 10:58:35 AM
@PetsDreamlands: Look at Array Stores, who said on the previous page:

Array Stores wrote:
I make a decent part-time income just with my own stores and very little in the way of referrals. It did take time and hard work to get where I am now. I don't want to disclose my income naturally, but lets just say it's enough to pay the rent.

He/she tried many different things, different niches, creating an array of stores: "Array for Cases", "Array for Clothing" etc. but what he/she actually seems to sell most (see "Last Products Sold"), are things related to weddings and to birthday parties, like the other successful Zazzlers.
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 11:04:08 AM
Think bulk sales... That is why wedding sellers do so well.

Other things that sell in bulk besides wedding suites are party supplies like paper plates and paper napkins...

Also return address labels and stationery...

announcement postcards Ie: we moved, new pet, it's a boy/girl etc...

things you don't think of normally also sell in bulk

pens, pencils, erasers and stickers.

and of course business cards.

one more off the wall item is guitar picks.
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 12:35:54 PM
You know, most of the top sellers started back when the print-on-demand business was new, not many people were doing it, Zazzle used to pay huge volume bonuses each month, etc. Not to downplay anyone's talent Love but the game is totally different now. There are so many PODs competing for customers, and everyone and his brother is uploading designs and promoting all over the web. I'd be very surprised if someone started on Zazzle today and made gold level. There's money to be made, sure, but dreams of riches might be a little far-fetched for most newbies.
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 1:27:36 PM
AugieDoggyStore wrote:
You know, most of the top sellers started back when the print-on-demand business was new, not many people were doing it, Zazzle used to pay huge volume bonuses each month, etc. Not to downplay anyone's talent Love but the game is totally different now. There are so many PODs competing for customers, and everyone and his brother is uploading designs and promoting all over the web. I'd be very surprised if someone started on Zazzle today and made gold level. There's money to be made, sure, but dreams of riches might be a little far-fetched for most newbies.

Perfectly said. The POD market is pretty oversaturated and flooded nowadays, especially with all these dropshipping-from-Aliexpress/China kids trying to make the quick buck. You know, all these fancy look-all-alike Shopify "stores", these FB and IG ad spams with these funny "pay only shipping" or "last 2 products at 50 bucks instead of 5000" offers. Zazzle has one huge plus: its on the fly customization abilities and design tools, plus the made/printed in the US premium service on better products. Without these, it would be a lost battle staying on Zazzle. Way too expensive compared to the 50 cent China massproduced (by underpaid kids and women) necklace sold for 15 bucks, what is still half the price a simpler Z necklace costs. I'm on Z because I can offer my customers a high assortment of 100% personalizable quality products. That's the reason, And that's why I'm ranting that much when it comes to bad previews. If you want to make the quick cash selling gadgets, Zazzle is definitely the wrong place. Way too late to jump on that POD bandwagon.
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 3:18:08 PM
AugieDoggyStore wrote:

I agree with you there, I once said if you give me the same amount of time as Elke has had here I wonder if I'd be doing as well as she is.

Probably not because of how different everything is now, but maybe...
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 3:33:04 PM
Zazzle might be pushing paper products so hard because it's the one part of the POD market that isn't super saturated (although the competition to be top wedding invite designer on Zazzle is pretty fierce). The other PODs barely have customization- some don't have it at all- so Zazzle can nearly corner the market on customized paper. Paper products require some pretty intense customization.

It's a mystery to me why other PODs don't up their customization game. But they don't. So Zazzle will likely continue to push paper to the forefront as much as possible. Amazon is all over the t shirts. And all the PODs make phone cases. But nobody else seems to bother making a design tool that can handle the level of customization needed to make an invitation.
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 3:41:12 PM
I would say most customers get confused by so many customizing options and don't use them, so other PODs don't invest in customization. As for invitations, there's tons of sites other than PODs that sell custom invites. Like others have said, it's not the good 'ol days anymore, unless you are able to bring in your own customers it's difficult now to make with POD sites what would be considered an income.
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 3:49:01 PM
waterart wrote:
I would say most customers get confused by so many customizing options and don't use them, so other PODs don't invest in customization. As for invitations, there's tons of sites other than POD that sell custom invites.

Yeah, I found that out when I was searching for wedding content to pin with some of my own wedding designs. I was looking for a simple article on vintage wedding ideas but 9 out of 10 sites were advertising links to other custom stationery and card companies so I had a really hard time finding one that would not compete with my own...

I can't even remember all the names now but the only one I recognized was Minted.
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 8:26:50 AM
Leaving aside the question of customization, a few things become apparent looking at the top tier pro-sellers' shops.

Firstly, their clarity of presentation. The design and organisation of their shops/categories/collections is clean and easy to read at a glance.

The second impression is that the designs and framing of those designs on the various products being sold, are of a professional quality.