How much does Zazzle take?
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2019 3:38:28 PM
Okay, I don't know if I am not understanding what I have read, but I am confused about what percentage that Zazzle takes. I am new to this and I am just learning. Can anyone explain it to me?
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2019 4:18:46 PM
Zazzle doesn't take a percentage, it takes the base price. When you post a product for sale you add the percentage you want to earn to the base price. The base price plus your percentage becomes the retail price a customer pays. For example let's say the base price is $20, you add 20% so the retail price becomes $24, when the product sells you earn $4. If there is a sale going on or the customer uses a coupon you will get 20% of the discounted price.
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2019 5:02:12 PM
waterart wrote:
Zazzle doesn't take a percentage, it takes the base price. When you post a product for sale you add the percentage you want to earn to the base price. The base price plus your percentage becomes the retail price a customer pays. For example let's say the base price is $20, you add 20% so the retail price becomes $24, when the product sells you earn $4. If there is a sale going on or the customer uses a coupon you will get 20% of the discounted price.

I thought the discount would apply to the total retail price such that on a 50% sale, the buyer would pay $12 on that $24 product, which means the designer’s take would be reduced to $2. I’m not saying this is how it works. It’s only how I think it works.
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2019 7:22:21 PM
Colorwash wrote:
waterart wrote:

I thought the discount would apply to the total retail price such that on a 50% sale, the buyer would pay $12 on that $24 product, which means the designer’s take would be reduced to $2. I’m not saying this is how it works. It’s only how I think it works.

Isn't that what I said? Maybe I should have said you get 20% on the discounted price. Sorry for the confusion
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 2:27:17 AM
It’s not quite what you said, but what I said may be no different. I honestly can’t always figure out Z’s math.
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 3:23:41 AM
Colorwash wrote:
It’s not quite what you said, but whaot I said may be no different. I honestly can’t always figure out Z’s math.

You define the percentage on the final price and get the percentage on the reduced price if a discount applies. And there can be an additional fee, which you are informed of on in the advanced calculator. When zazzle calculates your take in the calculator it assumes base price without any discounts.

at 15.0% no transaction fee is applied,
at 15.1% a transaction fee of $0.01 is applied,
at 34.9% a transaction fee of $0.04 is applied,
at 60% a transaction fee of $0.11 is applied,
at 99% (which is as high as you can go) a transaction fee of $7.08 is applied and the bar is in the red zone thereby telling you, that it is undesirable. Anything above 50% is getting some red in the bar of the advanced calculator.
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 6:01:59 AM
vivendulies wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
It’s not quite what you said, but whaot I said may be no different. I honestly can’t always figure out Z’s math.

You define the percentage on the final price and get the percentage on the reduced price if a discount applies. And there can be an additional fee, which you are informed of on in the advanced calculator. When zazzle calculates your take in the calculator it assumes base price without any discounts.

at 99% (which is as high as you can go) a transaction fee of $7.08 is applied and the bar is in the red zone thereby telling you, that it is undesirable. Anything above 50% is getting some red in the bar of the advanced calculator.

Anything that high above base is less likely to be able to compete in the MP anyway.

Adding: those prices might do fine in a promoter store though where you don't have cheaper stuff sitting next to it to compare to...
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 6:36:20 AM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
vivendulies wrote:
Colorwash wrote:

Anything that high above base is less likely to be able to compete in the MP anyway.

Adding: those prices might do fine in a promoter store though where you don't have cheaper stuff sitting next to it to compare to...

Just answering the question, not making any recommendation.

I checked the transaction fee on a paper plate and settled on 30%

When you try the advanced calculater 99% on a large fleece blanket you get a a royalty of $7144.04 After $376.00 Transaction Fee
But good luck finding a buyer for a four figure blanket. Laughing

I personally liked 24% with a transaction fee of $1.20

$99.95 is a nice enduser prize and $22.79 is a nice royalty. Grin Happy
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 11:09:29 AM
LOL at the price of that blanket! Shocked if you market it to royalty maybe? Idea
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 12:24:59 PM
There's also the amount Zazzle takes on sales referred by a third party (which can also be Zazzle themselves via links in emails, or other advertising campaigns.)

So to recap, the royalty you set can be affected by these things:

Discounts: Your royalty, as other have stated, is based on the sale price, which can be heavily discounted. Discounts aren't shown in the royalty history; what you see instead is the discounted subtotal in your royalty history.

Transaction fees:
As mentioned above, there is a transaction fee for royalties set above 15%. You will see a '+' sign next to the royalty percentage in the rate column for the sale in your royalty history.

Referral carve-out: Referred sales have a carve-out fee of 20% of the royalty earned. Referred sales show as "3rd Party" or "Self" in the Referred column of your royalty history.

Upcharges: These are additional charges to the customer, such as if they choose a base for a photo block. We only make 5% on the upcharged portion. When there is an upcharge, you will see two lines in the subtotal and rate columns of your royalty history for the sale - one at your regular rate, and one at the 5%.

Transfers: If the customer transfers your design to a different product and purchases it, your default royalty setting will be applied. Transfers are marked with a 't' in your royalty history.
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 2:05:01 PM
When you use Zazzle's built-in royalty calculator, it does not factor in the % off a product is (and everything is always at least 15% off) or the "carve out" for a sale being referred, both of which reduce the royalty amount you earn. So I made a simple spreadsheet a while back that takes both discount amount and referred sales into account to see both what I am really going to earn and what it's actually going to cost the customer. I use it in conjunction with Zazzle's built-in royalty calculator to decide the rate I want to set.

For example, here's what Zazzle's built-in royalty calculator shows I am going to earn on one of my bath towel sets:

But here is what I am really going to earn:

So because most of my sales are Third Party, the odds are high that I am going to make $5.12 (or less, if there is a sale on towels) not the $7.53 they show. It's a handy little sheet, if anyone wants to use it you can download it:
colscreations.com/Z_Royalty.xlsx

Also, as I noted on the sheet itself:
Royalty rates set at 15.01% or greater trigger a Transaction Fee which is deducted from your pay-out but since I don't know the formula used to calculate that I can't factor it in here as part of the auto-calculation. If you know it, enter it above and it will be included in the calculation; if not, leave it at zero and remember that your pay-out will be less then shown here if your rate is 15.01% or more.

*Pay-outs may be off by a penny because of rounding up/down to the nearest cent.
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 11:28:49 AM
Colorwash wrote:
It’s not quite what you said, but what I said may be no different. I honestly can’t always figure out Z’s math.

Math makes my head spin, I should have just said you add your percentage to the base price and kept my mouth shut after that, lol
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 11:59:07 AM
waterart wrote:
Colorwash wrote:

Math makes my head spin, I should have just said you add your percentage to the base price and kept my mouth shut after that, lol

Nah, we both had the opportunity to spend some time not working.