How many designs and products to earn $100 per month? 3 pages: [1] 2 3
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 11:14:46 AM

Hello all,

I joined zazzle a few days ago so still finding my way around. I'd like to get an idea of what it will take to start making some regular monthly earnings here.

If I am good, yet not exceptional, how many different designs across how many products do I need to have on sale before I can hope to consistently earn $100 per month?

Thanks

Andy

Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 11:43:01 AM
Andrew Michael wrote:

Hello all,

I joined zazzle a few days ago so still finding my way around. I'd like to get an idea of what it will take to start making some regular monthly earnings here.

If I am good, yet not exceptional, how many different designs across how many products do I need to have on sale before I can hope to consistently earn $100 per month?

Thanks

Andy

This is my opinion. Others may have a different take.
To be honest, the number doesn't matter. What matters is.... Do you have what the customers want?
You could have 50K+ designs and a nary a sale to be had. Earning you a whopping $0 a month. On the other hand you could have 1... One design that customers can't live without and earn untold amounts per month.
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 11:53:56 AM
Ditto to what Gina has said.
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 12:11:32 PM
Gina ©gleem wrote:
Andrew Michael wrote:

Hello all,

Thanks

Andy

To be honest, the number doesn't matter. What matters is.... Do you have what the customers want?
You could have 50K+ designs and a nary a sale to be had. Earning you a whopping $0 a month. On the other hand you could have 1... One design that customers can't live without and earn untold amounts per month.

You are describing the 2 extremes, but I am not asking about extremes. I said someone who is good yet not exceptional in what they produce and put up for sale.
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 12:13:58 PM
As the previous responses alluded to - it varies greatly by person.

I my self have over 6000 products in 4 stores. I would love LOVE to make $100 per month.

The $ is slowly increasing, but right now, I would settle for payout ($50) each month. I average payout every other month now.
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 12:28:41 PM
Andrew Michael wrote:
Gina ©gleem wrote:

You are describing the 2 extremes, but I am not asking about extremes. I said someone who is good yet not exceptional in what they produce and put up for sale.

Not extreme at all. Someone with extreme talent could have thousands of wonderful, beautifully crafted designs and earn nothing while another comes in and slaps some text on a T-Shirt and makes hundreds a month!

BKMuir wrote:
it varies greatly by person.

Exactly!
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 12:45:16 PM
In defense of those who slap texts on t-shirts, I must say, it is far, far from hundreds! Grin
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 12:46:39 PM
Sales don't work like that anyway.

I may not make $100 a month in July but in November/December I make enough to qualify for more than $100 a month for a year. Sales are very seasonal and not likely to be anywhere near consistent for each month of the year.

And that doesn't take into account marketing, promoting, having enough designs to be found in millions and millions of other designs, knowledgeable tagging and descriptions, an instinct for what products your designs will do best on, the list can go on and on. This is not a case of your mileage may vary....it's a case of EVERYONES mileage will vary.

d
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 12:53:17 PM
I looked through your store....just advice that the Sydney Opera house is trademarked and can't be used (sux I know)

d
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 12:53:39 PM
WittyBetty wrote:
In defense of those who slap texts on t-shirts, I must say, it is far, far from hundreds! Grin

I can't remember who it was, or when it was posted, but my comment about that was based on something I read once here in the forums. Someone sold more, and made more, off of simple text designs than any of the more elaborate designs they had in their shop. And it isn't a stretch to say that someone could make a huge amount on just a text design. Of course, the text would have to be just right and not just anything. It has to be something that will garner attention and make customers want it.
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 12:55:14 PM
Just as others have said.

I had thousands in my store before I started regular sales.

It depends on what you find that sells for you. And how you market your product.

There is no magical number that will guarantee anything. I've seen people make hundreds off of thirty products, and people make thirty off of thousands of products.

You could put up a thousand products with the letter "P" on them. One or two might sell, but just because you make it available, does not mean it's something that someone would want.

You could put up a button that says "This is It" and it could sell thousands.

There is just no way to know, no magical formula. Just a lot of luck and a lot of marketing. Proper SEO (keywords, title, and description), some social media, and having WHAT the customer WANTS when they want it.
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 2:14:46 AM

So basically what you are all saying is, there is no way of estimating, even roughly, at the start, what I could earn in the future if I create X designs across Y products and put them up for sale here.

I need to invest a huge amount of my time over many months and years with no way of knowing up front if it is more likely I will earn a few cents or $100,000 plus.

What does the average person earn?

Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 2:17:45 AM
RGebbiePhoto wrote:
Just as others have said.

I had thousands in my store before I started regular sales.

It depends on what you find that sells for you. And how you market your product.

There is no magical number that will guarantee anything. I've seen people make hundreds off of thirty products, and people make thirty off of thousands of products.

You could put up a thousand products with the letter "P" on them. One or two might sell, but just because you make it available, does not mean it's something that someone would want.

You could put up a button that says "This is It" and it could sell thousands.

There is just no way to know, no magical formula. Just a lot of luck and a lot of marketing. Proper SEO (keywords, title, and description), some social media, and having WHAT the customer WANTS when they want it.

Does "ProSeller" mean you have earned more than $100 but less than $1000 lifetime earnings?
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 2:45:39 AM
Andrew Michael wrote:

So basically what you are all saying is, there is no way of estimating, even roughly, at the start, what I could earn in the future if I create X designs across Y products and put them up for sale here.

That is correct. There is no way of estimating this. Sales are not dependent on number of products. They are dependent on how much customers want the products you have (market research) and how easily customers can find them (titles and tags,promoting).

Market research you can accomplish by wandering around the Zazzle marketplace. If you do so, you will notice that some product types almost always have template text on them, not just images. I looked in your store and saw a luggage tag with no template text. That is very unlikely to sell, as are any luggage tags without template text. It doesn't matter how many you post, the customers will head straight for the ones with template text.

Quote:
I need to invest a huge amount of my time over many months and years with no way of knowing up front if it is more likely I will earn a few cents or $100,000 plus.

Yes. Starting out, it's best to think of this as a hobby that may or may not earn you much or anything. This isn't a get rich quick scheme or even a get rich slow scheme. It's more like getting an art history degree: the investment is high and the finacial return is low so people go into it for the love, not the money.

Same here. You don't have to invest money though some do (I invested money in the rather pricey Photoshop but it has paid off). But there is no getting around how much time you have to invest. That's why it's best to think of it as a hobby.

Quote:
What does the average person earn?

This figure isn't possible to know.

Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 2:57:08 AM
Andrew Michael wrote:
Does "ProSeller" mean you have earned more than $100 but less than $1000 lifetime earnings?

PRO LEVELS:
Basic $100 or more
Bronze $1000 or more
Silver $25,000 or more
Gold $100,000 or more
Platinum $250,000 or more
Diamond $500,000 or more
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 3:50:45 AM
Colorwash wrote:
Andrew Michael wrote:

PRO LEVELS:
Basic $100 or more
Bronze $1000 or more
Silver $25,000 or more
Gold $100,000 or more
Diamond $500,000 or more

This is telling me that nearly all forum contributors have earned less than $25,000 in their lifetime and the majority less than $1000.
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 3:59:36 AM
Andrew Michael wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
Andrew Michael wrote:

PRO LEVELS:
Basic $100 or more
Bronze $1000 or more
Silver $25,000 or more
Gold $100,000 or more
Diamond $500,000 or more

This is telling me that nearly all forum contributors have earned less than $25,000 in their lifetime and the majority less than $1000.

A lot of us opt to not show our pro level, so you've no way of knowing how much we've earned. That said, probably the largest group is at the Bronze level because, if you calculate it, you can see that Bronze is 10 times Basic and Silver is 25 times Bronze. It's one heck of a leap from Bronze to Silver.

Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 4:21:08 AM
Colorwash wrote:
Andrew Michael wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
Andrew Michael wrote:

PRO LEVELS:
Basic $100 or more
Bronze $1000 or more
Silver $25,000 or more
Gold $100,000 or more
Diamond $500,000 or more

A lot of us opt to not show our pro level, so you've no way of knowing how much we've earned.

Exactly! I even state on my Zazzle bio that I am a Pro but will not show my level.
My level + My Earnings = My Business

I will say that I earned Pro during the days of being done so by monthly consistent sales (certain amount during a straight 3 month time span) rather than by Lifetime earnings. The Lifetime deal didn't come into play until several years later with the implementation of the Basic level.
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 4:21:47 AM
Andrew Michael wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
Andrew Michael wrote:

PRO LEVELS:
Basic $100 or more
Bronze $1000 or more
Silver $25,000 or more
Gold $100,000 or more
Diamond $500,000 or more

To make it harder to judge....only US sales count towards pro levels. Without that I could possibly reach silver in the next couple years. With it.....probably not in my lifetime.

d
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 5:23:26 AM
Andrew Michael wrote:

It's very unlikely that you will earn anything close to $100,000. It used to be mainly Zazzle and CafePress in the POD business, and this was indeed achievable by some talented people. Now? Scores of companies, and everyone is trying their hand at it. Of course, you could hit upon the next great idea, but it's also good to have realistic expectations of your earning potential.

Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 5:46:02 AM
Gina ©gleem wrote:
WittyBetty wrote:

I can't remember who it was, or when it was posted, but my comment about that was based on something I read once here in the forums. Someone sold more, and made more, off of simple text designs than any of the more elaborate designs they had in their shop. And it isn't a stretch to say that someone could make a huge amount on just a text design. Of course, the text would have to be just right and not just anything. It has to be something that will garner attention and make customers want it.

Yes, I, too, remember this Smile And again, how greatly it varies, I have a totally opposite experience - I make more off of my elaborate, complicated designs I worked a lot for than of my simple designs (texts etc) that I made "just because". I guess, yes, the text should be just right, posted in the right time, promoted to the right audience etc etc. As for me, I only see one correlation: whatever you do with love works (that means, earns), whatever you do for any other reason than your passion is going to be more stress than money.

To the OP, I think 100/month is only possible after 1.5-2 years on Zazzle and, as others said, it really depends on what you have to offer (that means, it may or may not be possible even after 2 years). And also luck is a big factor. It's unpredictable, and the best advice is already given: consider it a hobby.
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 6:56:42 AM
Professional artists, writers, and musicians more often than not have day jobs so they can eat and keep warm. It's the lucky few who earn a living working for themselves in the arts.

To come here believing we can do what the professionals can't do is a surefire way to end up disappointed and disillusioned. We need to be hopeful, but realistic too.
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 7:38:40 AM
AugieDoggyStore wrote:
Andrew Michael wrote:

It's very unlikely that you will earn anything close to $100,000. It used to be mainly Zazzle and CafePress in the POD business, and this was indeed achievable by some talented people. Now? Scores of companies, and everyone is trying their hand at it. Of course, you could hit upon the next great idea, but it's also good to have realistic expectations of your earning potential.

Right now I am happy to target $100 per month, hence my question.

Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 7:47:56 AM
I didn't start going over a hundred a month until I'd been here two years.
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 8:17:06 AM
Andrew Michael wrote:
AugieDoggyStore wrote:
Andrew Michael wrote:

Right now I am happy to target $100 per month, hence my question.

I think you are putting the cart before the horse. The question to ask yourself isn't "how much money can I make per month?" but rather "how can I sell the designs I have?". Going to QuickCreate and putting a photo on whatever products happen to be there is not going to get you anywhere. You need to think like a customer and ask what a customer would want for any given product- making sure the design and the product are a good fit for each other. For instance, on luggage tags the customers want template text that they can plug their own names and addresses into. Same with gift tags.

It's a good idea to walk through the marketplace and see what's there since it will give you a feel for customer expectations.

Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 12:39:46 PM
I've been a Pro-Seller for over six years now, give or take, I didn't keep track of the year.

I've been paid as a regular paycheck, every single month, from Zazzle earnings since I first started getting a steady check here.

It's safe to say I've made more than a thousand dollars here.

How much, exactly, is my business. I choose, like others, to only display the PRO badge, not my specific level. One who does not mind sharing her DIAMOND level status is Elke Clarke. You can look her up on Google, she's quite big in the community, and she freely shares her data.

And, as for your investment of time and effort, yes, you will need to put in countless hours. If you are lucky, you'll end up making a penny for your hours worked the first year. If you are REALLY lucky, you'll make more. But do not think this is a quick money thing. This is a time and investment thing. The bonus about this type of income structure is it can be built without a physical inventory. Perfect for anyone, whether you live in a high traffic community, or deep in the woods. You just have to be willing to put the time and effort in to build your business. It is not a cookie cutter get rich quick thing.
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 1:26:16 PM
I think the $100 per month is achievable if you
will set a goal little by little.Grin

This is just an average count and not guaranteed.
But the most improtant of all is to set a goal.

DO THE FOLLOWING:

1) I can say that setting a goal to have at least 500
to 1000 products within the next 6 months. This is doable!

2) Create the best and high quality products that you can
make base on your interest and strong ability.

3) Make your products customizalble especially by letting
the people know that it can be CUSTOMIZED. Use text and
image templates to make it happen. This will attract more buyers!

4) Make use of the best keywords in your titles, descriptions
and tags, so that your product's URL will rank the first page of
Google or at least the first 3 pages. VERY IMPORTANT! When I say
best keywords it means pick the less competitive keywords that
come up in your keyword research using the "The free Google
Keyword Planner Tool". To get the less competitive keywords
I use "LongTailPro keyword tool".

5) Don't just add the keywords because you found that the search
volume per month is very high. Don't ignore the keywords with low
search volumes. Sometimes if the search volume is very low like 100
per month, it will turn out that it is even the best because it is
less competitive and in this way you will get a lot of people getting
to see your products than a keyword with 1000 per month but very competitive.
I suggest mix it with high and low search volume keywords.
So be smart in your keyword research! You want organic traffic flowing
in your Zazzle store. Not the paid traffic.

6) Promote your Zazzle store through Social Media like Facebook,
Pinterest, Twitter, Youtube, etc. Consider creating your own
Facebook Fan Page and increase your followers or likes. Make it
at least 1000 or more likes then you will start seing sales coming in.
Your likes will be your customers in the future.

7) Don't just depend on your Zazzle store but also create a niche
Blog site of your particular product interest. Then apply also what
I mentioned above especially the smart keyword research for each of
your blog post.

8) Doing all these above will eventually meet the financial goal you
need which is roughly $100 per month. Again always put in mind that
this is not a quick rich scheme. It will take time for you to earn
your first dollar but you will be certain that you will get sales
coming in soon.

It could be within the next 6 to 10 months or earlier. Again this
is not guaranteed because it all depends on your effort, creativity
and persiverance. The best this is that you already have
SET YOUR GOAL and it is achievable!

KEEP ON WORKING and never GIVE UP! YOU CAN DO IT! YOU WILL SOON
SEE your FIRST DOLLAR and IT WILL START INCREASING. Idea

GOOD LUCK!Smile

Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 1:58:39 PM

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think I'll start by targeting 100 designs across maybe 3000 product over the next few months and see if that produces some sales.
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 6:31:07 AM
Well the good news is after 1 week on Zazzle I got two sales. The bad news is that they only earned me 11 cents each for two postcards.

I don't understand why it is so low as the advertised price per card is $1-20 and I have my rate set to 25%.

EDIT: I figured it out. It is because of this:

$0.60 (50% off) with code SPRINGZSAVEZ
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 9:09:34 AM
Congrats on your sales!