How can i improve?
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2019 5:22:21 AM
Hi, I'm a 22 years old Artist that is struggling here on Zazzle, How long does it take until I get steady sales, is something wrong with my products? I've only sold 3 products and those are people I know.

I'm just looking for feedback on how I can improve and would like to know what it takes to become a professional Zazzle designer.

https://www.zazzle.com/store/elazart
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2019 6:38:24 AM
Looking at your store I can see three places for improvement.

1)Tags: you need to tag the design so that customers looking for that type of design will be able to find it. You have many t shirts that won't be found because they are tagged with words like "handsome" and "proper" and "summer". These are all abstract designs, only some of which are tagged as abstract. When people type "summer" into the search bar they are looking for a design that makes them think of summer. Yellow is a summer color but not when combined with brown and black.

Abstract art is one of the hardest things to tag so I get how it's difficult to think of appropriate words. Of course always use "abstract", but also use multiple color names (not just the dominant color) because color combinations can evoke a feeling. Also tag for the style of the art. Your style (at least where I looked) is very geometric; lots of rectangles and lines. "Geometric" makes a good tag. Also "cubist" and "cubism" or any other art movements that apply. You can also tag "artsy", "artistic" or "original art" or even "painting". Those will work better than "proper".

2)Customizable text: there are many products where customers are likely to want their own name on the product. The ability to do this is one of Zazzle's big selling points. Your phone cases have a lot of black space where a name in a light color could go. Make it customizable for the customer by choosing "advanced options" when you have the text selected (it's on the right side near the bottom of the panel) and then choosing "make this a template object".

3)Variety: every single person who opens a store on Zazzle starts (and sometimes continues) with t shirts. This is why there are currently 17,670,689 t shirts. The odds of yours being found, even with good tagging, are pretty low. Seventeen million shirts is a lot of shirts to compete with. You did also put in some leggings, a key chain and so on.

I stronly recommend you look through literally everything that Zazzle sells to see what other products would be a good fit for your art. Although not its' biggest seller, Zazzle does sell pure art on a variety of canvas types: canvas, acrylic, wood, metal,paper. Then there are also postcards which can serve as small, affordable art pieces. And laptop cases and skins as well as the phone cases. And glass paperweights. And acrylic trays. And mouse pads. It goes on and on. Dive deep and you will find a place with less competition and a better chance to be seen.
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2019 7:09:06 AM
Fair warning: What follows is my honest opinion, but it's just one opinion. It's up to you to decide what you think is true and helpful, and what to discard or regard with skepticism.

Keep in mind that my aim isn't to be mean, but to help you improve. I honestly want you to succeed.

#1) Read the stickied threads at the top of this forum.

#2) How long it takes is a "your mileage may vary" situation; one that depends on the number and variety of products you offer, how well you've titled/described/tagged them, if you're promoting them, where you're promoting them and how you're promoting them in an effort to reach a specific target audience, whether you're making a good pairing of art & product, and how accessible your work is. (Abstract art can be tough to sell; it doesn't enjoy the same popularity as iconic symbols or classic patterns, for example.)

Let's look at an example from your store:

https://www.zazzle.com/hidden_light_elazart_case_mate_iphone_case-179660993048730509

Problem 1) You're using what Zazzle calls an 'abstract title' - one that doesn't actually provide the kind of information needed by search engines to match your product offering to a customer's search terms. The number of people who would search on terms like "hidden light" or "elazart" is probably pretty small, unless you're an established artist of reputation, whose name is well known, as well as the titles of your works.

Problem 2) Similar to problem 1, you're description is, "A sophisticated way of turning your phone into one of a kind." Someone reading those words will not be able to picture what your art looks like. Keep in mind that you're relying on bots to crawl your product pages and index terms used there, in order to match those terms to a customer's search terms. Your descriptions therefore need to describe your art in considerable detail. The phrase you've used as your entire description seems more like something you would tack onto the end of a detailed description, amplifying its uniqueness and traits. By itself, it's not getting the job done.

Problem 3) These are your tags for this item:

elazart, classy, cool, boyfriend, trendy, modern, black, abstract, art, structure

Some of these aren't bad, but "boyfriend" - really? What relationship does that word have to the work in question? You mention black, but not the yellow color that makes up the design. Your tags don't reflect the type of abstract art - does it represent something, or is it non-representational?

You're also using only single keywords - no relevant phrases that would match the exact words someone would use in a search. For instance, "abstract art" could be a single tag, instead of two.

You might also mention in your description and tags the method or materials used to create the original art, as there are people who will search on those terms. If your work is entirely digital, then you have to think about what materials/methods it resembles as potential tags.

Other things to remember:

Title and descriptions are extremely important for external search engines - make sure they contain the most important keywords relevant to your art, while making sure they're still intelligible to a human being.

I suggest you write descriptions first, as a well-written description will suggest the keywords important to titles and tags.

Lastly, this is a marathon, not a sprint. It takes time for your offerings to be indexed. It takes more time for people to find them and potentially begin sharing them with others, organically building backlinks to your product pages. Promoting your work on social media might help speed that up.

(Full disclosure: I do this as a hobby, because I don't actually need to earn an income from it. I loathe everything about promoting my work, so I'm terrible at it, and my lack of any desire to get better at it is reflected in my low sales. Point being, "know thyself"; develop an understanding of your strengths and weaknesses, decide how to use the former to your advantage, and what (if anything) you can do about the latter. You may find that your goals and expectations change, as you figure out what this platform can and can't do for you.)
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2019 7:10:34 AM
And as always, great advice from Susannah!
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2019 7:54:04 AM
Great feedback! what should I keep doing?
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2019 8:09:17 AM
Elazart wrote:
Great feedback! what should I keep doing?

You should keep posting all your original art. It's good stuff. It just needs proper presentation.
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2019 11:18:01 AM
I create and tag a lot of abstract art.

As Susannah and Fuzzy said always tag with the word "abstract" and if it is a certain type like fractal art then "fractal abstract"
now look at your art and describe what it looks like, what colors are in it and get specific like instead of just "blue", say "ocean blue" or "cobalt blue"

what shapes has it got? is it "swirly" or "chunky", are there "spirals",

what emotions does it evoke? "peaceful and tranquil" or "chaotic and edgy"

if you still need more keywords after you get done doing this then start adding things like "modern" "contemporary" even "psychedelic", "groovy" or "pretty", "colorful" all these help

so I am a buyer and I search for "modern colorful pretty abstract art" now the search engine can match up your art and show it to me.

Also use tag phrases when you can to maximize your impact.

hope that helps some.
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2019 11:26:04 AM
One more thing, I noticed that you have very few products so far and I want to encourage you to keep adding more.

Zazzle is a huge Marketplace and the more products you offer the better your chances at being found. I am not recommending the quick create but I am recommending that you continue to build your "inventory" to at least 1000 different products with as many different designs as you can manage.

As an artist I have discovered that wall art is not a huge seller here at Z for me so I started thinking about putting my art more on usable products and sales have gotten better.

best wishes!

ps @Susannah, I am one of the few who did not start out here with t-shirts. I think my very first product was a keychain, lol, and it finally sold just a couple months ago.

But because I came over from Redbubble and was wanting to sell my original art and patterns I was focused on acrylic wall panels and posters for my art, pillows, fabric, ribbon, mugs, etc...things that patterns looked good on.
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2019 4:44:44 PM
All great advice here! Tags, titles and descriptions are very important. The more relevant they are in describing your designs, the better. Don't describe the product itself. Zazzle has already done that for you in their product descriptions. Concentrate on the design, the type, color, etc.

I would also suggest learning as much as you can about Zazzle and how things are done here. Read and participate in the forums as often as you can. There are a lot of designers here that you can learn from.

Making money on Zazzle takes a lot of time. Spend as much time as you can adding more designs on more products in your store. The more, the merrier! I have 4,235 products in my store (the limit is 100,000 products) after 1.5 years on here, and I add more on nearly a daily basis. I try to add about 300 a month. I put in at least 20 hours a week into it on top of working a job 6 days a week. It can take a few years to really start making any money at it. You really have to treat it like a business if you're serious about making it into your full-time income, which is my goal.

I do like your designs. Very different. Are they original abstract paintings or digital? They look like real paintings, so if they're digital, then you have quite a talent for producing very realistic digital paintings, something I have not learned to do but would like to learn if I can ever find the time.

Good luck in your Zazzle journey! Just remember that Rome wasn't built in a day.
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 7:05:41 AM
As stated before abstract is hard to do a write up for and makes hard to search for. That being said your work is wonderful.

You have the cellphone category set up, but still haven't done one for your leggings and shirts.

Try to keep in mind of the structure of your store. Kind of a choose your own adventure story.

Landing page,

Whats next Option
A) by product
B) by design
C) by event

People browsing have a vary short tension span, and we as designs have to get them engaged fast.

Maybe its a bit taboo to talk about art here. But you could try noodling, taking an animal and overlaying it with the abstract like graffiti. Tried it with 4 (50% sold) designs of fractual and 1 galaxy (1 of sold), made a few sell but abandon that style as it just didnt feel right to me and end the $ amount from sell was to small to justify for time spent.

But it did make the design searchable. Over the course of 4 years, a button, poster on Z and 2 T shirts on another pod. But mileage vary and I never finished a collection had the design spread over to many story.

Also made a snail with on sell, the rabbit got a few views but no sell.

Basicly I like your abstract but for the shake of searches you might try the grifity.

As for overlay your need 2 programs.

Vector (inkscape freeware option)
Raster (gimp or kista freeware option)

Make a silhouette in vector, export as a png. No background. No fill.

Import silhouette and ur abstact into raster two layers. Set the abstract transparency to about 50 to 70% so you can see the vector and just erase the parts ohe abstract that doesn't fit into the shape. Then rest transparency to 0%

Then move the vector to the top and export.

Abandoned the process myself even with a 60% sale ratio (but the sells are far and few between), ended up loveing illustion and silhouette