Grand openings
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 9:53:38 PM
Hi everyone! I am excited and nervous. I am trying to do a new years grand opening of my zazzle store. never done anything like this. With a brick and mortar things seen a bit more cut and dry. But online is different. Anyone have any suggestions, tips or things you have learned during your grand opening? I am open to ideas... thanks so much for taking time to comment!
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 5:06:22 AM
Hannah Byrd wrote:
Hi everyone! I am excited and nervous. I am trying to do a new years grand opening of my zazzle store. never done anything like this. With a brick and mortar things seen a bit more cut and dry. But online is different. Anyone have any suggestions, tips or things you have learned during your grand opening? I am open to ideas... thanks so much for taking time to comment!

I never had a Grand Opening. I don't see the point in doing it for an online store. I just opened a store and started adding product.
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 5:28:39 AM
Gina ┬ęgleem wrote:
Hannah Byrd wrote:

I never had a Grand Opening. I don't see the point in doing it for an online store. I just opened a store and started adding product.

That's precisely what I did.

Hannah, there's no public waiting to see any of us, not even those of us who've been here for quite a while. It's a big thing to us and maybe friends and family, but that's it.

The best tips are here in the forum, particularly in the newbie forum up at the top where you'll find the stickied posts. In particular, read through https://forum.zazzle.com/new/top_ten_mistakes_revisited
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 7:36:07 AM
I didn't have a grand opening, but I did have a point where I announced it on my existing social media. I built the store in public before that (you don't want to suddenly set a private store public and then announce it... it takes a few days for things to settle). Once I had several designs over a reasonable range of products (I aimed for about 16-20 products per design), I announced it.
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 9:29:39 AM
I think all I did was post my store link to facebook and twitter. Good luck to you! Roses
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 5:33:45 PM
Why not have fun with it? You can quietly get your store ready and then make announcements on social media. It might be more symbolic than anything, but you can add "Grand Opening" to your Zazzle header and social media sites for a short while. You could also offer prizes or gifts to anyone who signs up for your email list (assuming you have one) or anyone who forwards you a copy of their receipt with order number for proof of purchase.

Good luck with it and keep us posted!
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 10:19:06 PM
Grand opening? I don't have that many friends.
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2019 3:08:17 AM
I wonder, has anyone ever used "Grand Opening" for their store name? It might be unique and thoroughly memorable. A long time ago there was a store in my area that was Going Out of Business for years, and it worked.
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2019 10:47:27 AM
Colorwash wrote:
I wonder, has anyone ever used "Grand Opening" for their store name? It might be unique and thoroughly memorable. A long time ago there was a store in my area that was Going Out of Business for years, and it worked.

That's not a bad idea! I didn't look, but you could do a business promo store with a name like that.
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2019 12:15:13 PM
Beachwalker wrote:
Colorwash wrote:

That's not a bad idea! I didn't look, but you could do a business promo store with a name like that.

You definitely could.
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2019 1:48:57 PM
Beachwalker wrote:
Why not have fun with it? You can quietly get your store ready and then make announcements on social media. It might be more symbolic than anything, but you can add "Grand Opening" to your Zazzle header and social media sites for a short while. You could also offer prizes or gifts to anyone who signs up for your email list (assuming you have one) or anyone who forwards you a copy of their receipt with order number for proof of purchase.

Good luck with it and keep us posted!

Sure, why not!

And have fun with it leading up... drop a few teaser posts if you have a fun niche.
Posted: Thursday, December 12, 2019 8:07:54 PM
personally, I think grand opening is just costing you time that people could be viewing, and maybe purchasing, your products. I would post products as they are ready, then maybe announce to friends and family when you have a critical mass. good luck.

- Marcia s.
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2019 2:19:09 AM
Hannah Byrd wrote:

Thanks so much for posting Hannah. We hope you get some great advise from our amazing Community of designer. We think this is better suited in the "New to Zazzle Section however. Thanks! Roses
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2019 4:29:30 PM
It's tough advising people what "works best" because there isn't any cookie cutter technique, it's pretty much customized marketing depending on what you have to offer and what kind of person would be interested. For example, we have no idea what kind of designs you're trying to push or your social media audience size, makeup, or interest. Your grand opening theme could be anything from an online wine party to a messy but fun collaboration contest.

Now, see, I just made up a cool idea for a collaboration contest. Somebody opens up your design on a product and you both play around with it, then you pull their name out of a hat and the winner gets their resulting design for free. I would suggest a Grand Opening Week for that, and limit the participants to 5 lucky participants at that. One a day for a week? Well, I'll leave others to perform this exciting new thing I just made up *half eyeroll* because I wouldn't know how to get a collaboration even started, heh.