First Sale Pole
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2019 11:18:14 PM
Hello Zazzle Community!

I am wondering how far into you Zazzle career did you make your first sale AND approximately how many items did you have in your shop at the time?

Thanks! Grin

Tessa
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 1:01:36 AM

I sold a bunch of postcards for a garden party approx. one month after I signed up here. It was the 12th item I created and by the time I sold it my stock of virtual items on zazzle counted ~200.

At the time I never left the house without my DSLR ready to shoot. I walked pass a seriously pitiful garden patch with a few worn out and sun bleached garden gnomes in the snowdrops and cowlips. I held my camera, took a few shots and went on with where ever I was going (probably shopping). I should get back in the habit, actually.
Grin

The Invitation I designed with this snapshot has sold well. For a penny item my first sale was impressive and the card has always been a pleasant surprise.

It took another month before I made my second sale. Again one of my snapshot from being glued to the camera, but this time it was a single card and I had doubled my stock. So I made less than $10 in two months or 2¢ for approx 14 days of work.
Laughing

Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 5:42:59 AM
Tessa, you have a lot of products in your stores that you can't legally sell. You can't use the names of video games, video game characters, etc. They are trademarked by the companies that created them.
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 6:12:32 AM
Four months in, no idea how many products I had at the time.
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 8:39:32 AM
Tessa Boyce wrote:
Hello Zazzle Community!

I am wondering how far into you Zazzle career did you make your first sale AND approximately how many items did you have in your shop at the time?

Thanks! Grin

Tessa

Three months for first sale. No idea how many products I had, I didn't (still don't) keep up with that, but it probably wasn't a whole lot since the product line was very small back in 2007.
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 11:05:40 AM

If you want to know how many products you had at the time of the first sale, look up the sales date, check show create day in the statistic filter, reverse sort your product list by "New to Old" with adding &sd=asc in the address field of your browser and count the products until you reach the sales date.
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 1:23:08 PM
vivendulies wrote:

If you want to know how many products you had at the time of the first sale, look up the sales date, check show create day in the statistic filter, reverse sort your product list by "New to Old" with adding &sd=asc in the address field of your browser and count the products until you reach the sales date.

...if you've never deleted anything, perhaps? Having gone from 15,000 products down to less than 1,000 this won't do anything for me, but it's a good tip otherwise.
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2019 7:07:14 PM
First store, 4 months. had 3 designs on maybe 20 different items. That store is still open, I almost never even look at it and those designs still sell... 8 yrs later.

Pacifier City - opened for 2 weeks before I got sales. I think it is the volume of pacifiers made and the fact that zazzle is one of the few places to get custom pacifiers.

My Random Ideas took about a month and a half. And this store is really just a mess of ideas. I really need to figure something out with it.

And I've opened and closed a few over the years...
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2019 8:25:24 AM
In my first month - I joined last November, so I benefited from the shopping for holidays - but for a long time I didn't know that I had sales, because due to an error of Zazzle software, I didn't receive (and still don't receive) the notifications.

Later Edit: I joined in Nov. 6, 2018, I had my first sale in Nov. 22, 2018 and, using vivendulies's method, it seems I had about 150 products then (I seldom delete).
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2019 4:40:18 AM
According to my royalty history my first sale was a french fry iphone cover on
7/25/20I3. I had about ten products before that.
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2019 10:43:46 AM
We stumbled onto Zazzle in Jan 2010. Created 3 T-shirts.
First organic sale was April 2010.
In October, I started creating a few products every week.
Next organic sale was December 2010.
Sold a few in Dec, a few in Jan, a few in Feb...
By March 2011, I had payout.

By May 2011, I had payout every month.

Please note, it's nearly impossible to compare my results to what you could possibly achieve.

When I started, it was basically tee shirts, coffee cups, and keychains. That's about it. There were also a few million product available in the marketplace, no where near the few billion there are today. And, the economy was much different. People spent their money differently ten years ago.

So, as always, your results may vary Grin Grin
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2019 1:59:01 AM

My first and only sale was on 5/22/2019 , I joined 11/13/2018

I had more than 200 products ,

I just dont know how to get views in the first place , though I have been promoting my products on my instagram account too, Have read many forum discussions , but I dont know how to get sales .

I am not giving up as yet Smile Smile , any suggestions , critical analysis are welcome

https://www.zazzle.com/store/monicadesigned/products

Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2019 3:24:15 AM
My first sale was a Christmas card in November 2014, and I got that about 3 months after I started putting designs on Zazzle. I estimate I had roughly 400 products by then. It's a bit hard to be sure, as some of my earliest efforts have since been deleted (and many are now hidden).
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2019 6:00:18 PM
Well, I probably have one of the more unique stories in this respect. I joined sometime in 2017 because I was trying to see if there was an easy way to let users of my website plunk my existing web designs onto a sticker or t-shirt or something. I concluded that for a variety of reasons it wasn't gonna work out so well, but in the process I played around a bit and designed half a dozen things just to see how it worked. Then I left and totally forgot about it, until....

This past December (like a year and a half later) I suddenly got an email out of the blue telling me that the silly mug I had designed had sold three copies! That made me think that maybe it was worth putting a little time into it to see what happens. I usually try to focus on one business experiment per year, so I figured 2019 would be my Zazzle year. So I started playing around with it in January - not terribly seriously, mostly just learning how the design tool works and figuring out how to design for print applications (different than designing for the web). I figured that people probably wouldn't be buying much of this sort of thing until the Holiday season, so my aim was to make print versions of some of my more popular web designs and have them up and running and publicized on my site by the fall so I could hopefully convert some of my existing traffic to sales during the holiday season.

Anyhow, I plunked around with it, not really expecting any sales, and then one night I was in a snarky mood so designed a silly pen, and boom! It sold several copies within a week or two... and I was hooked. That was in March and I'm now up to 166 sales (not 166 sales of that pen, 166 total, I'm nearing 2000 products now.) I'm certainly no expert - I still have a LOT to learn, but my advice is to just keep playing around with it and try some wildly different things until you hit on something that works for you - then go where the sales lead you.
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2019 4:40:14 PM
That's funny. I had an experience very much like @ZingerBug.

I started my store around this time last year, and got busy with life and didn't do much on it. But at the time, I had spent a good bit of time mocking up some items from highly customized designs....and I mean designs that have personal names built right into the artwork, so they really only work for people who have the same names!

Well here I am a year later, poking around and trying to make some new decisions about moving forward, and I somehow stumbled into my royalties area (I was looking for something else) -- lo and behold, I had made some sales! Shocked

I wish I knew whether the person used my original design (with the immovable names) or replaced that image with their own.

Anyway, to answer the original question, I made $9.20 about 6 mos after starting and had maybe 10-20 items in my store -- which, I must add, was not even public at the time! So I guess my items came up in search results???

Now I am trying to determine if I made those sales because of the original design, or in spite of it. I never had any real intention of selling to random Zazzle customers because of this limitation of custom artwork. I just wanted to use Zazzle as my POD and bring in my own customers from a separate storefront, where I can get their custom art requests first.

Goes to show...you don't ever know! Happy

Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2019 3:18:15 AM
I joined Zazzle less than three weeks ago and made my first sale (a poster) yesterday. I had about 160 products on sale at the time. Although I was hopeful of sales as I've sold many images through a stock photo agency, I was expecting it to take months or even longer to make a Zazzle sale (my google analytics suggest I'm the only person visiting my store!). Also, I haven't started promoting the store, except for a bit of Pinterest activity, so I'm very pleased and have renewed enthusiasm. I guess just keep creating and putting in the right keywords and the sales will come...
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2019 7:28:29 AM
I opened in Jul 2009 and had my first sale in 1 or 2 months, if I recall, but I was fresh out of Cafepress after they had stabbed their designers in the back so I had a lot of designs and my store is a niche. Back then Zazzle was completely different as far as on-site promotion went, and I had at least one fan in the home office because my store would get a feature sometimes twice a month, it was nuts, and I'm not even convinced that resulted in any sales!

All the experts selling books and so on about Zazzle will tell you the same basic stuff: Good designs, upload often, niche is better than not if you want affiliates to pick you up, titles and tags like you're explaining the design to a 6-year-old. All customizable, and set everything to templates with appropriate template names.
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2019 7:03:25 PM
I sold a couple of items in first month. Spring and summer were not great for me. Fall and Winter I do much better.

Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2019 6:36:59 PM
Not very comfortable in answering, mostly cause of the learning curve.
First order was 8/8/2015 think I only had 4 designs done. It was Japan and think it was more of an issue of .com verse .jp issue they where having. But had a sell on another pod.

Personal think the question should be Whats the learning processes?
What are the milestones?

Personally think everthing up till last Dec was just practice. And it wasnt until I had a few things pointed out to me that I had an Aww moment.
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2019 9:18:07 PM
3 weeks.