Customers struggling with "How to Customize "
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2019 7:43:25 AM
Hi all!
I'm fairly new to Zazzle. I have ordered from them many times but my store is only 3 months old.

I'm catering to my personally audiance MUCH more then marketplace. (Although I've had several marketplace sales).

The problem I'm having is customers are assuming their information will be put in automatically. (Address labels. Etc.)

I'm then having to walk people through cancelling orders and how to do it with the customize button.

I've now lost several sizable sales because people who are not familiar with Zazzle can't seen to figure it out. I've offered to personally design the items for them but they decide it's too much hassle.
Others don't want to give out too much personal information to someone they don't know.

Or they cancel an order and never return.

So the very little time I have in a day I could be designing, instead I'm walking people through how to customize.

Surely Zazzle must have some kind of public information on the site with "how to"????

I've been doing my best to help everyone interested. My shop has become more successful then I ever expected in 3 months time. It really is trying to be a full time job 😂.

I just need help helping my customers. Some less tech savy people get turned off pretty quick once I get them into the Customize screen where all they have to do is enter their information.

Advise please what to do when your largest audience is NOT familiar with the zazzle platform or not tech savy !
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2019 8:25:32 AM
I looked at a few of your products, and the thing that instantly hit me is that you're not turning your text into templates so the customer can change the text right on the product page, never having to go near the Customize screen.

If you add placeholder text in the design tool, then scroll down on the right side of the screen (you'll have to minimize the little preview thing), you'll see something along the lines of "make a template." I'm not sure of its exact wording, but you'll recognize it. Click it to the On position, and where it says "Text 1," replace that with something like "Edit to personalize." If you have more lines of text, do the same thing with "Text 2", "Text 3," and so on.

Here's one of my products done this way:
https://www.zazzle.com/monogrammed_blue_green_enamel_inlay_and_gold_frame_case_mate_iphone_case-179160994485211915
Notice on the right where it says "Personalize this template" and click it. You'll see where you can edit each of the two initials. No need to go into Customize.
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2019 9:18:03 AM
AH!!!! * Light bulb moment * I never knew how to do that! JEEEZZZ that should would make my life easy!

I guess I'm going to have to go back and recreate all of my items?
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2019 9:23:11 AM
Follow what Colorwash said - and make sure that when you are creating the product (when you are within the design screen) be certain to switch the toggle (on any lines of text that you want people to be able to customize) to the 'on' position. This is off to the right near the bottom and reads "Make this a template option".

Then, the customizable lines of text will show up on the product pages as editable lines of text and your customers will not have to enter the design tool, which can be confusing to non-computer-savvy types.

If you have further questions, post here. Someone will be glad to help you if they can.
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2019 9:25:40 AM
Thank you guys so much! This is a serious help! I knew I had to be missing something! Laughing Laughing Laughing Now this is going to be a chore to go back and fix 500 + items but I will be SO glad to have it fixed. Crying
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2019 9:28:10 AM
You don't have to start completely from scratch. Go to the product page of each one and click on the customize button. Make your changes and then post the new item for sale. Then delete the original ones.
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2019 9:33:18 AM
Texas_Skyz wrote:
AH!!!! * Light bulb moment * I never knew how to do that! JEEEZZZ that should would make my life easy!

I guess I'm going to have to go back and recreate all of my items?

Unfortunately, once posted for sale, you can't correct that. You need to be certain to click that toggle "make this a template option" switch during the creation process. Sad But do it the easy way, like cutechristmas said.

On the bright side, you discovered it now, so you can make those corrections before you have thousands of products!

One suggestion: you have some products that have no customizable text on them - like your phone cases for example. They are lovely, but you will increase your chances for a sale if you add text templates where people can add their name or monogram, etc. If people do not want to have any text, they can always delete it and leave the product plain, but by adding text templates from the start, it is easier for those that want their name or custom wording to add it.

Of course, there is no requirement to do that. Sometimes I know you might not want people to add text because of how you wish the image to look. But people love their names on stuff, and if you make it easier for them to do that, you increase your potential for sales! Good luck!
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2019 9:33:36 AM
Thanks! Smile That's what I'm doing!
Darn it, I'll loose the # of sales and views a LOT of my items have but I guess it's better to start over now then next year. LOL

Posted: Monday, November 11, 2019 12:02:52 PM
Texas_Skyz wrote:
Darn it, I'll loose the # of sales and views a LOT of my items have but I guess it's better to start over now then next year. LOL

When I first arrived here, I did exactly the same thing as you. Oh, the pain of being a newbie! Grin
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2019 8:00:00 AM
Texas_Skyz wrote:
Hi all!

I've now lost several sizable sales because people who are not familiar with Zazzle can't seen to figure it out. I've offered to personally design the items for them but they decide it's too much hassle.
Others don't want to give out too much personal information to someone they don't know.

Advise please what to do when your largest audience is NOT familiar with the zazzle platform or not tech savy !

I have started posting quick video tutorials that might help people that are new to Zazzle learn to use the design tools. Feel free to share this link with your customers. https://smalldoglaughing.com/zazzle-tutorials/

Also, let me know what specific design issues your customers are having and I can try to cover them in my next tutorials.
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2019 11:54:15 AM
Colorwash wrote:
Texas_Skyz wrote:

When I first arrived here, I did exactly the same thing as you. Oh, the pain of being a newbie! Grin

Same here. You'll learn with time. And delete quite a lot of old stuff that you did wrong.

And then you'll delete the new one you thought you made right Grin

And then you read a post, check your cards and find an error within the template, so you delete it once again Laughing

Thanks for the posts Roses

BTW, Texas, a hint that may be helpful, too: you can write quite a lot of text within the text field captions, that will then be displayed within the form. So instead of just let it be at "text 1", "text 2" etc, you can write any information you want, e.g. "YOUR NAME: Edit or delete the default"

Happy designing!
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2019 12:07:14 PM
PetsDreamlands wrote:

BTW, Texas, a hint that may be helpful, too: you can write quite a lot of text within the text field captions, that will then be displayed within the form. So instead of just let it be at "text 1", "text 2" etc, you can write any information you want, e.g. "YOUR NAME: Edit or delete the default"

When there's more than one side such as on postcards, I'll often do something like "FRONT: Keep as is or edit to change," BACK: Edit to personalize."

Make sure to put text fields in proper order in layers before setting them up as templates. If you don't, you can end up with them all out of order for the customer to sort out because the front and the back or inside aren't indicated for the customer.

If things get royally screwed up (and they do periodically for all of us), turn off the template functions, get everything in proper order in the layers, and then reset them as templates.

Trick: If you have something like a person's name that they can personalize, and you want the name in two different spots on the product, create the template for the name, then copy the text layer, placing the copy wherever you want it. The customer will see only one spot to alter the name, but when they do, both names will be changed.