Cloud Back Up External Drives for Image Storage???
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2018 2:15:40 PM
I recently discovered that my external drive, which backs up my laptop nightly, failed early in it's duties.

I also use an external drives for my images.

I would love recommendations where I can upload and store these precious files..and is also reputable and reasonably priced cloud service.

I don't want synching...I have drop box and use it for simply transferring.

Is anyone actually using a cloud based service to back up their back ups?

A failed external has got me mega paranoid.
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2018 2:24:22 PM
So you want a cloud service that doesn't sync? At all? I thought they pretty much all had the option to sync.

I use Onedrive, but It can sync if I want, so that doesn't really help you.
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2018 2:37:40 PM
Fharrynland wrote:
So you want a cloud service that doesn't sync? At all? I thought they pretty much all had the option to sync.

I use Onedrive, but It can sync if I want, so that doesn't really help you.


I just want the option not to sync. Thank you. I will check it out.
I don't want to delete something from the cloud...and have it delete something on my laptop etc. been there...almost did that.
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2018 3:28:07 PM
After being burned by auto sync ("we helpfully erased everything every place you have it- by syncing-yay!") I now do multiple external hard drive backup. I have two external hard drives and back everything up to both.
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2018 3:45:38 PM
Susannah Keegan wrote:
After being burned by auto sync ("we helpfully erased everything every place you have it- by syncing-yay!")


That doesn't happen with onedrive. If you erase something from your computer, you just have to redownload it when you want to use it again. Plus, if you happen to delete it, you can retrieve it from the recycle bin.
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2018 4:33:37 PM
I have my own personal cloud - a Western Digital 4TB drive. It's like an external drive, but it's networked, and I can access it from anywhere.

I also have a couple 1- and 2-TB external drives and a Dropbox account.

I run robocopy nightly by scheduled batch file. It copies all new/modified files to an external drive and my cloud. On the first of every month, I run an image on another external drive. I have a couple of super important files I also copy to DB. That's data, files, email, and graphics.

New images go on a separate external drive, and a copy lives on my cloud.

Look up robocopy to sync files without using a sync function. It looks old school (runs from CMD prompt), but it's powerful and fast. It CAN erase all files. So read, understand, and test.

So I'm pretty in sync and backed up. But if I didn't have trust issues, I'd consider Carbonite. I've heard good things about them.
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2018 4:44:05 PM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
But if I didn't have trust issues, I'd consider Carbonite. I've heard good things about them.


I've used Carbonite for years now. Love it! It automatically backs up your files. And if you get a new computer, it's a few clicks to download everything in the exact way it was.
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2018 5:07:38 PM
I am in the terabyte external Hard drive camp... I have two of them so far.
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2018 5:41:01 PM
I have 1 TB on Onedrive
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2018 4:14:09 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
I have my own personal cloud - a Western Digital 4TB drive. It's like an external drive, but it's networked, and I can access it from anywhere.

I also have a couple 1- and 2-TB external drives and a Dropbox account.

I run robocopy nightly by scheduled batch file. It copies all new/modified files to an external drive and my cloud. On the first of every month, I run an image on another external drive. I have a couple of super important files I also copy to DB. That's data, files, email, and graphics.

New images go on a separate external drive, and a copy lives on my cloud.

Look up robocopy to sync files without using a sync function. It looks old school (runs from CMD prompt), but it's powerful and fast. It CAN erase all files. So read, understand, and test.

So I'm pretty in sync and backed up. But if I didn't have trust issues, I'd consider Carbonite. I've heard good things about them.


Thanks Roy. I too have Drop Box...but I noticed that it also stores what is in it's cloud on my computer hard drive...which defeats the purpose of giving my laptop some breathing room. I know that there is stuff about drop box that I just don't get. I read up on it way back and became paranoid. So I often download my new whatever zips...and then copy them into a folder on my Asus labeled "Transfer to my Orange external drive". Now I want to backup all my externals....after the recent reality check.

In the moment I am checking out an article on https://www.cloudwards.net/best-cloud-backup-for-external-hard-drive/...looking at crashplan which would be yet another necessary expense.

Roy, can you store more than 1 external drive in your cloud? I have the same brand externals... Passports..about 4 of them. One 4TB gets hooked up to my laptop daily before bed. That is the one that failed recently. Then...I have the other ones with graphic files I have acquired and or created during the years....many years......many files.
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2018 4:28:23 AM
AugieDoggyStore wrote:
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
But if I didn't have trust issues, I'd consider Carbonite. I've heard good things about them.


I've used Carbonite for years now. Love it! It automatically backs up your files. And if you get a new computer, it's a few clicks to download everything in the exact way it was.


That is cool Augie. I was told by my local computer repair store guy that if you get a new computer, those applications from your old computer cannot be guaranteed to transfer properly. I guess they are not neatly stored on hard drives. What I need is a way to store/backup all the externals holding files that don't fit on my computer. I have been doing computer stuff for years. This is my first shot at POD.
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2018 5:19:54 AM
AnnaRosaEnergyArtist wrote:
Thanks Roy. I too have Drop Box...but I noticed that it also stores what is in it's cloud on my computer hard drive...which defeats the purpose of giving my laptop some breathing room.

On a PC, click the DB logo in your system tray (bottom right corner in the bar across the bottom of your monitor). Click the gear, and choose Preferences and then the Sync tab. You can tell DB which folders to "sync," which is what you're doing - files are in DB and on your machine - or unclick folders you don't want to sync. Then you can access those un-sync'd items via web browser. That's how to free up that space.

You can also login via web and upload, then mark those items to not sync. That sounds like the additional back up you're looking for.

AnnaRosaEnergyArtist wrote:
Roy, can you store more than 1 external drive in your cloud? I have the same brand externals... Passports..about 4 of them. One 4TB gets hooked up to my laptop daily before bed. That is the one that failed recently. Then...I have the other ones with graphic files I have acquired and or created during the years....many years......many files.

I'm not sure if I understand the question. My cloud (Olympus) IS one physical external drive connected to my network via Ethernet. Then I have 3 regular external drives (Zeus, Apollo, Bertha) that have to connect to my laptop (Thor) using USB. When robocopy runs, it copies:

- Thor to Zeus
- Thor to Olympus
- Bertha to Olympus

So I "store" 2 drives of information (actually, 3 - my cell phone photos auto backup daily to it, as well), but Olympus is just one big drive.

Apollo is my image drive, and I use that when my hard drive crashes to rebuild my laptop drive.

AnnaRosaEnergyArtist wrote:
I was told by my local computer repair store guy that if you get a new computer, those applications from your old computer cannot be guaranteed to transfer properly.

That's why I run an image every month. I keep a spare laptop hard drive on hand too.

I used to only have one back up. Then on July 4th weekend one year, my office and home computer phone lines got zapped my lightening and I lost everything. A couple years ago, I bought a new laptop, and the hard drive failed. 4 times. In one year. My philosophy is that one can never have too many backups.
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2018 8:02:07 AM
AnnaRosaEnergyArtist wrote:


That is cool Augie. I was told by my local computer repair store guy that if you get a new computer, those applications from your old computer cannot be guaranteed to transfer properly. I guess they are not neatly stored on hard drives. What I need is a way to store/backup all the externals holding files that don't fit on my computer. I have been doing computer stuff for years. This is my first shot at POD.


I think Carbonite has an option to back up external hard drives too. I just use it for my pc, and when I get a new one, everything transfers properly, in the same directories, etc.
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2018 8:52:13 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
AnnaRosaEnergyArtist wrote:
Thanks Roy. I too have Drop Box...but I noticed that it also stores what is in it's cloud on my computer hard drive...which defeats the purpose of giving my laptop some breathing room.

On a PC, click the DB logo in your system tray (bottom right corner in the bar across the bottom of your monitor). Click the gear, and choose Preferences and then the Sync tab. You can tell DB which folders to "sync," which is what you're doing - files are in DB and on your machine - or unclick folders you don't want to sync. Then you can access those un-sync'd items via web browser. That's how to free up that space.

You can also login via web and upload, then mark those items to not sync. That sounds like the additional back up you're looking for.

AnnaRosaEnergyArtist wrote:
Roy, can you store more than 1 external drive in your cloud? I have the same brand externals... Passports..about 4 of them. One 4TB gets hooked up to my laptop daily before bed. That is the one that failed recently. Then...I have the other ones with graphic files I have acquired and or created during the years....many years......many files.

I'm not sure if I understand the question. My cloud (Olympus) IS one physical external drive connected to my network via Ethernet. Then I have 3 regular external drives (Zeus, Apollo, Bertha) that have to connect to my laptop (Thor) using USB. When robocopy runs, it copies:

- Thor to Zeus
- Thor to Olympus
- Bertha to Olympus

So I "store" 2 drives of information (actually, 3 - my cell phone photos auto backup daily to it, as well), but Olympus is just one big drive.

Apollo is my image drive, and I use that when my hard drive crashes to rebuild my laptop drive.



AnnaRosaEnergyArtist wrote:
I was told by my local computer repair store guy that if you get a new computer, those applications from your old computer cannot be guaranteed to transfer properly.



I used to only have one back up. Then on July 4th weekend one year, my office and home computer phone lines got zapped my lightening and I lost everything. A couple years ago, I bought a new laptop, and the hard drive failed. 4 times. In one year. My philosophy is that one can never have too many backups.


Thanks Roy for the explanations. I am certainly saving them and re-reading them.

I love your naming system. I need to change mine. Colors aren't working. Red just died and Black took over. I might go with the gods too Smile

I might have a similar, albeit incomplete, system.
Basically 1 ext. for nightly laptop images and a few more externals for other jobs like storing images based mostly on source.

I am just looking for a cloud place as a back up of my externals.
I do have drop box about $120 a year.
I just went to their site to see how many TB it covered me for...only 2TB...not much for about $120.
Their Advanced Plan has unlimited...and that is $20 a month. (competition is $10 a month unlimited.)
The DB chat sales person informed me I would get 3 users for that $20/month...which I don't need.

I was being morbidly realistic. I asked..when that day comes...and if my son can find my passwords etc...it would not be an issue for him to log in and do whatever... He might need whatever..and even inherit and take over my stores.

So..even though drop box is twice as expensive as crashplan ...I am set up (sorta) and when I do purchase clip art etc. most businesses today do sync to DB rather than crashplan. So...my choices are convenience or economics.

I will probably go with DB now that I have some understandable (thanks Roy!) direction.Roses


Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2018 8:55:23 AM
BTW: I found your July 4th story chilling. The very reason I am doing research now.
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2018 8:57:30 AM
AugieDoggyStore wrote:
AnnaRosaEnergyArtist wrote:


That is cool Augie. I was told by my local computer repair store guy that if you get a new computer, those applications from your old computer cannot be guaranteed to transfer properly. I guess they are not neatly stored on hard drives. What I need is a way to store/backup all the externals holding files that don't fit on my computer. I have been doing computer stuff for years. This is my first shot at POD.


I think Carbonite has an option to back up external hard drives too. I just use it for my pc, and when I get a new one, everything transfers properly, in the same directories, etc.


Sounds like your data is "secure". I will probably change/upgrade my Drop Box plan after Roy helped me understand how to use it.
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2018 8:59:26 AM
Fharrynland wrote:
I have 1 TB on Onedrive

Wow...that is so little compared to my avalanche of data.
As years pass...data grows Smile
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2018 9:00:24 AM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
I am in the terabyte external Hard drive camp... I have two of them so far.

After one just failed recently...I am looking to back up my back up.
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2018 9:04:31 AM
Susannah Keegan wrote:
After being burned by auto sync ("we helpfully erased everything every place you have it- by syncing-yay!") I now do multiple external hard drive backup. I have two external hard drives and back everything up to both.

Ouch...so many stories here of data nightmares. It's time for me to let get some insurance..backups of backups. If my external drives are not plugged into my laptop...I can't lose data by syncing. I do have to review Roy's great tutorial on DB..for those moments when I DO connect to Drop Box.
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2018 10:48:05 AM
I can't believe I forgot about Tara! She was my first 1TB drive. She's another image backup - for pre-Dexter (Canon 70D) images.

I started with colors too, and that became problematic when my laptop was name Ruby and Tara (who's red) came along. LOL

I mix god genres, but all the names match the drives - Zeus is blue (sound), Thor has a hammered metal look, Apollo is white, and so on.

My July 4 horror was in the 90s. Lots of data since then, and I like to keep it organized. So the names may seem frivolous, but they help identify drives when writing backup strings for the batch file.

I have a business account in DB and I'm pretty sure it's $99/year. Most of it is client file sharing. I believe I get 1TB for that.
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2018 8:14:04 PM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
I can't believe I forgot about Tara! She was my first 1TB drive. She's another image backup - for pre-Dexter (Canon 70D) images.

I started with colors too, and that became problematic when my laptop was name Ruby and Tara (who's red) came along. LOL

I mix god genres, but all the names match the drives - Zeus is blue (sound), Thor has a hammered metal look, Apollo is white, and so on.

My July 4 horror was in the 90s. Lots of data since then, and I like to keep it organized. So the names may seem frivolous, but they help identify drives when writing backup strings for the batch file.

I have a business account in DB and I'm pretty sure it's $99/year. Most of it is client file sharing. I believe I get 1TB for that.

Funny... Rudy and Tara. Now THAT is easy to remember for sure!

I even create folders on my laptop that tell me where I put what once lived on it. "Look for videos on the orange external".
Of course, we already discussed and I already learned the flaws of the color system.

OK...so you don't use Drop Box as a backup of externals.
So you basically have the same data on two different externals?

I was going to go that double external route.
Heck...even at $20 a month (up front)...can save on the expense of replacing 4TB externals that poop out before their time.
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 2:10:04 PM
AnnaRosaEnergyArtist wrote:
OK...so you don't use Drop Box as a backup of externals. So you basically have the same data on two different externals?

My DB account is "Dropbox Plus." It's renewing this month, and I just looked. I have 1TB space and am using about 10% of it. I like DB well enough - I like the interface that makes it work like a Windows folder (but that's what you don't like b/c it takes up space; understandable) - but I really do have trust issues with my data. My most important files go there with super-strong password protection. The single most important file is the one with all of my login credentials and the license keys to every software I own. In the event all my backups were destroyed or stolen, I at least wouldn't have to buy new software licenses.
Grin

My 1TB laptop files are backed up to a 1TB external and the 4TB cloud nightly, so yes, 2 externals. Thor, Zeus, and Olympus have identical FILES, including bookmarks, Outlook PST files, etc.

New images go on 2 externals simultaneously (Bertha and Tara), and then they're backed up to Olympus.

So that's 3 copies of everything, at any given time.

Then, on the first of every month, I run an image of Thor on another drive - Apollo. That way, in the event of a catastrophe hard drive crash, I can be back up and running overnight, at the latest.

If you want to know the entire story, every 3 or 4 months, I replace my hard drive and restore it from an image. That way, I can actually be back up and running in a matter of minutes by just switching out laptop hard drives.

I've always been a backer-upper, but that's how paranoid 4 hard drive crashes in a year affected me. Smile

Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 7:49:57 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
AnnaRosaEnergyArtist wrote:
OK...so you don't use Drop Box as a backup of externals. So you basically have the same data on two different externals?

My DB account is "Dropbox Plus." It's renewing this month, and I just looked. I have 1TB space and am using about 10% of it. I like DB well enough - I like the interface that makes it work like a Windows folder (but that's what you don't like b/c it takes up space; understandable) - but I really do have trust issues with my data. My most important files go there with super-strong password protection. The single most important file is the one with all of my login credentials and the license keys to every software I own. In the event all my backups were destroyed or stolen, I at least wouldn't have to buy new software licenses.
Grin

=> Wow...I never thought of using DB for that purpose. I store info in my Evernote but I do substitute a fake string in place of the real base/core of many passwords.
BUT...evernote got hacked so...some not nice events had occurred.
It is what pushed me to do nightly backups.


My 1TB laptop files are backed up to a 1TB external and the 4TB cloud nightly, so yes, 2 externals. Thor, Zeus, and Olympus have identical FILES, including bookmarks, Outlook PST files, etc.

=> Smart. I was originally thinking take files off laptop and store on an external. But, as I learned..externals fail too.
The idea of using for each data set 1 external and 1 folder on DB sounds worth the extra $$$. Not sure if I need 2 externals per data set and DB as well.

New images go on 2 externals simultaneously (Bertha and Tara), and then they're backed up to Olympus.

So that's 3 copies of everything, at any given time.

Then, on the first of every month, I run an image of Thor on another drive - Apollo. That way, in the event of a catastrophe hard drive crash, I can be back up and running overnight, at the latest.

=> Was thinking of doing the same.

If you want to know the entire story, every 3 or 4 months, I replace my hard drive and restore it from an image. That way, I can actually be back up and running in a matter of minutes by just switching out laptop hard drives.

=> Yes...nothing like disasters to change our behaviors. You've got me beat on this one Smile

I've always been a backer-upper, but that's how paranoid 4 hard drive crashes in a year affected me. Smile

Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 8:07:34 AM
AnnaRosaEnergyArtist wrote:
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
If you want to know the entire story, every 3 or 4 months, I replace my hard drive and restore it from an image. That way, I can actually be back up and running in a matter of minutes by just switching out laptop hard drives.

=> Yes...nothing like disasters to change our behaviors. You've got me beat on this one Smile

I have nearly everyone I know, save a few select clients who I set up for nightly backups, beat at "I run nightly backups."

It's good you're thinking about this before it's critical. I hope I gave you some ideas you're able to use.
Smile
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 10:15:40 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
AnnaRosaEnergyArtist wrote:
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
If you want to know the entire story, every 3 or 4 months, I replace my hard drive and restore it from an image. That way, I can actually be back up and running in a matter of minutes by just switching out laptop hard drives.

=> Yes...nothing like disasters to change our behaviors. You've got me beat on this one Smile

I have nearly everyone I know, save a few select clients who I set up for nightly backups, beat at "I run nightly backups."

It's good you're thinking about this before it's critical. I hope I gave you some ideas you're able to use.
Smile


It's the swap out your hard drive every 4 months thing that will keep you forever at the top of the back up game. I bet no one does that one Smile

Thank you. You did help a great deal and I DO appreciate it.
I now think I just might be able to handle DP configuration...and the extra $100 or so will give me convenience and peace of mind.
I would get right on it...but I am in the middle of creating my own Z site...hoping to get more of those elusive referrals. I am on a roll Smile

When I thought about it further...taking my huge image file folders off my laptop and putting them onto an external did zero to further secure my data.
One location... be it my hard drive or external drive both have the same risk level..HIGH.


Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 9:35:31 PM
AnnaRosaEnergyArtist wrote:
Fharrynland wrote:
I have 1 TB on Onedrive

Wow...that is so little compared to my avalanche of data.
As years pass...data grows Smile


Yeah, but it's free...

I'm not a hoarder. I go through my stuff on a regular basis to delete duplicates or near-duplicates.
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 9:38:40 PM
This thread is funny today b/c I turned on my computer this morning, heard a loud "pop" then had smoke coming from the back.

IDK the damage yet b/c I just worked from my laptop instead of messing with it.
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 5:23:29 AM
@Roy
Hi Roy, Well I ventured into into DB to unsyc my files.

I think I am getting there. I unchecked all the folders I want to unsyn.

I think this will clean up my laptop from the DB folder which duplicates folders.

BUT...they said that the info will still be availabe...so..simply to to dropbox and delete those files...right?
I am getting ready to update to $20 a month.

Screenshot

Update:
I have learned that anything I put into the tray icon gets send to the cloud.
I have learned that the cloud is actually their site.. dropbox.com/h
I unchecked pretty much everything as far synching folders etc.
I did a test...right clicked on an image to send it to drop box.
Yes...it went to the cloud meaning the website... .com/h
BUT..I noticed it also got saved on my desktop AnnaP - Dropbox.
That would be bad if I took a huge folder from my external and right clicked it to DB. Sure..it goes to cloud..but on my hard drive...not good.

Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.
Print this topic
RSS Feed
Normal
Threaded