Can I use images from freepik.com? Is it allowed
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 4:33:05 AM
I have started my zazzle shop few months back, and have been trying to find the best pics for my products on sites like pixabay, morguefile etc. I just saw a site called freepik which has lots of images which will suit my product needs, i just wanted to know can i use them? Are they allowed? Please help
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 5:03:01 AM
When you feel that you do not have a grip on the terms and services on any image/vector site you should always read their Terms and Uses agreements.

On looking at this free pack of background there is a link to their license information under the File Attributes.

Quote:
You are free to use this image:

- For both personal and commercial projects and to modify it.
- In a website or presentation template or application or as part of your design
You are not allowed to:

- Sub-license, resell or rent it.
- Include it in any online or offline archive or database
Attribution:

Credit Freepik with this link: "designed by Freepik.com"

You can see the full license at: http://www.freepik.com/terms_of_use

Personally I wouldn't use them if I had to add an outside link to them in my Zazzle descriptions area. Zazzle may block them.
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 8:10:23 AM
Many thanks to you for your reply, that means i need to add a link in my zazzle description if i have to use these, actually i read the lines You are free to use this image:"For both personal and commercial projects and to modify it." So felt that i can use them without adding a link. Is there any website where i can get free graphics or clipart which are free and dont require attribution. Please help
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 8:54:28 AM
"You are not allowed to:

- Sub-license"

Wouldn't that prohibit use with a POD service? My understanding is that we (sub)license our art to Zazzle in order for them to put it on the products.

Or am I mistaken about this?
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 9:49:05 AM
Younghopes wrote:
Many thanks to you for your reply, that means i need to add a link in my zazzle description if i have to use these, actually i read the lines You are free to use this image:"For both personal and commercial projects and to modify it." So felt that i can use them without adding a link.

I wouldn't.

Before you use anything from this site, you should write to them and ask them specifically.

Felosarix, it is a gray area for sure. When there is doubt, write to the site to clarify.

If you use anything from other sites and their rules do not allow you to use their vectors/images/graphics, you are no better than those Chinese rip off companies who steal our designs off Zazzle.

Be responsible and do the right thing... get clarification.

Quote:
Is there any website where i can get free graphics or clipart which are free and dont require attribution. Please help

Visit the "Creating Products" forum and do a search. There are plenty of threads with this question that people have answered.
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:38:29 PM
I hope the result of this post is to realize that you are ultimately responsible for using the art of others.

As such, it is best you spend some time learning about licensing. There are plenty of free images out there, but "free" is not always free for any use. The information is widely available on the internet. If you plan to use these resources regularly, you owe yourself an education.

Accelerate Your Zazzle Experience

References and resources.

Use the WWW link below
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2014 8:12:04 AM
Well I do use some of my graphics from Freepik.com. I do it because of the free for commercial use license and also because I always attribute the credit to Freepik.com. I figure Zazzle won't remove them because I satisfy the appropriate copyright rules.
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2014 10:09:00 AM
I would stay away from using this site, if for no other reason than it's registered in Spain, and EU intellectual property laws are a whole other realm of nuts.

never mind that section 7 of the terms of use seems (to me, at least) to bar you from uploading/transferring the file to a "device you [do not] own."

Just my opinion.
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:36:03 AM
I put together this ebook that might help.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/300651

use coupon code DG76L to get it for FREE.
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 9:36:23 PM
Aniket Basu wrote:
Well I do use some of my graphics from Freepik.com. I do it because of the free for commercial use license and also because I always attribute the credit to Freepik.com. I figure Zazzle won't remove them because I satisfy the appropriate copyright rules.

Thanks Aniket, but if you are using the images then are you giving it attribution in the description section? Since i dont think you will be crediting them on your products?
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 9:37:06 PM
CalendarCards wrote:
I put together this ebook that might help.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/300651

use coupon code DG76L to get it for FREE.

Thanks dear, would definitely look at the ebook to be more clear
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 9:39:15 PM
Thanks Lasgalen, i would certainly look at the 'creating products' forum to get more clear info, on using free images.
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 8:33:21 AM
yes I always give them credit in the description. But maybe I should look into this thing more in the future. I never use a graphic directly. I modify it quite a bit and then use it.
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 12:34:32 PM
Yes, that's a problem when you can modify it, and it may be a very small part of a design, and yet they want the credits to read "designed by...". So someone promoting that design may pick that up and on another site give them credit.
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2014 12:32:30 PM
I've been a zazzle seller for years and I also have a clipart shop. You can use ANY of the graphics on the site on Zazzle and other PODS (and no need to give credit). And the prices are really cheap! Take a look if you like.

www.RealDealClipart.com
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2014 8:30:25 PM
Here's an example of why I wouldn't use freepik.com personally, and why I'm leery of all "free image" websites.

I've seen this image in use on some items on Zazzle.

An image search led me to this entry on freepik.com, which listed the author as another website, webdesignhot.com, which didn't credit anyone but claimed the license is a Creative Commons Attribution license (which freepik failed to mention, saying instead to check the author's website, but giving a link to the main page instead of the image's own page, so you really have to be intent on finding it).

However, the same image search led me to a vector of just the lotus illustration without the destruction/weathering effects apparent in the "free" image at the other two sites. This vector is offered for *sale* by the user/illustrator "Freeskyblue" on Dreamstime.com. That website's license is for royalty-free but most definitely limited use - the standard license specifically prohibits use for POD items as well as that "you may not sell, license for use, or in any way distribute the Media for reuse." The license extensions to allow POD use are also limited (10,000 copies).

Seems a fair bet to me that the person who created the above image using this lotus vector is not paying for the appropriate licenses for basically unlimited, unrestricted-use redistribution (and charging end users nothing for it).
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2014 8:45:24 AM
In 9 years I have had sites which did not state use by sites like Zazzle, Cafepress etc are not permitted, that have a few years later added this to their TOS. Two of them I was with for two or more years and bought the images and overnight this was added.

Sublease is as mentioned above the keyword. They do not care that Zazzle or any other sites do not sublease your art and I even sent them our TOS ,many are now adapting this policy whether you originally started with them when it was not there, and their terms all say they can change these terms at anytime.

It is a mess to remove them all.. and money spent with nothing to show for it once done.

What I do is use Flickr and if someone is listed as "Some rights reserved" and commercial noted okay, I write them and ask for permission and what they require. Some just say use them freely others ask for a link back to them. However if links ever get stripped that is going to be ugly also. Most POD's I use are fine with a link since permission is given clears up any concern with copyright thief.... and hope it stays that way....Smile
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2014 11:47:36 AM
[/quote] "What I do is use Flickr and if someone is listed as "Some rights reserved" and commercial noted okay, I write them and ask for permission and what they require. Some just say use them freely others ask for a link back to them. However if links ever get stripped that is going to be ugly also. Most POD's I use are fine with a link since permission is given clears up any concern with copyright thief.... and hope it stays that way....Smile" [/quote]

So if their flickr image does not say anything do you use the image? If you have been then that is clear copyright infringement. Flickr images are not in the public domain.
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2014 1:01:23 PM
Upon second reading of what TinkerM said, I realized that Flickr is used in the search for photos, not the theft of them.
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2014 6:34:06 PM
ShutterSnaps wrote:
" [/quote]

So if their flickr image does not say anything do you use the image? If you have been then that is clear copyright infringement. Flickr images are not in the public domain.[/quote]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I do not think my post indicated in anyway I use them other than what I posted.. "If they give me permission" and I get it in writing. I have a handful of artists I have used now for 8 years and one new one who recently passed and his wife has given me the rights to all his photography to use without any links but I still give him credit.
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2014 8:27:00 AM
ShutterSnaps wrote:
So if their flickr image does not say anything do you use the image?

All images on flickr display the 'rights' status. If you do a search and then click on one of the images, you'll find the information about 'rights' below the image pane, on the right.

Also, when you do a search, there's a drop-down box that lets you filter the results by the type of license.
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2014 10:57:23 AM
Felosarix wrote:
ShutterSnaps wrote:

All images on flickr display the 'rights' status. If you do a search and then click on one of the images, you'll find the information about 'rights' below the image pane, on the right.

Also, when you do a search, there's a drop-down box that lets you filter the results by the type of license.

That is correct however; even those that say "commercial" use is alright are complicated and you should always contact the owner for their terms. going with symbols, or what you perceive to be rights will get you in trouble. There are many kinds of attributions and legalese so please write the owner and get it in writing.

Example there are many groups if you type in "free to use" that if you go to the actual terms of the artist say "All rights reserved" believe nothing but the artist in writing.
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2014 1:20:06 PM
TinkerM wrote:
Felosarix wrote:
ShutterSnaps wrote:

That is correct however; even those that say "commercial" use is alright are complicated and you should always contact the owner for their terms. Using symbols, or what you perceive to be rights will get you in trouble. There are many kinds of arbitration and legalese so please write the owner and get it in writing.

Example there are many groups if you type in "free to use" that if you go to the actual terms of the artist say "All rights reserved" believe nothing but the artist in writing.

+1

There really is no substitute for getting permission directly from the original artist.