Be Careful what images you use
Diane Schultz
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2017 8:52:18 PM

Groups: Member

I just want to warn all to be very careful about what images you use. I was using images I got from Pixabay and a couple from Wiki that said they were ok to use in the public domain as long as you give the author correct attribution.

Out of about 2,000 products only two had a picture I got from Wiki or Flickr. Well turns out someone owned it and complained. So Zazzle sent me two emails, which went to my spam and I was super sick this week.... so did not check it or see these emails.. asking me about the photos.

So I go to sign into my store and couldn't. It took me a couple emails to find out why my store was not working, which eventually they told me I had TWO products that had this image that was copyrighted.

I apologized and explained I get all my images from Pixabay and got a couple from wiki commons or Flickr. (Which turns out to be the one that was really copyrighted.)

So anyways I asked if they could reopen my store and just delete those two products. By the way I tracked down the owner of the picture and told them that I had found their picture on a public domain site and I was so sorry and would delete the products right away. I had never sold any of them or anything, they were newly made products.

So Zazzle reinstated my store but deleted every product in it and told me I can only use art I made myself and that is original.

So does this mean all the mugs and Christmas cards I see everyone making with the "family" pictures from Pixabay aren't legal? Is everyone's stores products going to be completely wiped out? I just want to warn everyone before all their hours of work get deleted like mine just did. Sad

Sad Grandma over here.

I'm especially confused after reading this article which makes it seem ok to use and shows that others do. https://wizzley.com/use-free-pictures-at-pixabay-to-create-for-zazzle/
colorwash
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 4:11:43 AM
 Zazzle Proseller
Groups: ProSeller

A number of people have had problems using images from Pixabay and a few others like it. It's a hard lesson learned: Don't believe much of anything you read on the internet. If they say it's public domain, don't believe a word of it.
Maz
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 4:28:46 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

Quote:
So does this mean all the mugs and Christmas cards I see everyone making with the "family" pictures from Pixabay aren't legal?
That's different. The "family" pictures are used as placeholders and are replaced by the customer with their own image. Some places will allow their images to be used that way, others won't. always read the terms of use, and if you aren't sure, ask them.
Susannah Keegan
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 6:36:37 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

Diane Schultz wrote:

So Zazzle reinstated my store but deleted every product in it and told me I can only use art I made myself and that is original.

With that decree you are probably feeling very demoralized and not sure how to go forward. I am guessing you don't have a file folder full of your own artwork or you would never have turned to the internet.

Making your own art is daunting if you haven't done it before but do-able. If you have a cell phone, you have a camera. Maybe you only ever used it to take pictures of family and friends but you can make your own art with it too. Here are some tips:

http://www.popphoto.com/gallery/10-tips-making-your-smartphone-photos-look-they-came-real-camera

Look at the pictures in that tutorial. They are all pictures you could take right now (except don't take pictures of people and put them on here.) Close up pictures of rocks, plants and food are something you could do right now.

Here is an example of what I did and it has sold.

How did I do that? I went to the grocery store and bought the prettiest tomatoes I saw. Then I took a folding table outside on a sunny day, covered it with white paper, put the tomatoes on it and photographed them. The sepia background is because tissue paper can come in sepia and you can also tile. Fruits and vegetables are quite popular as images and if you have a camera you can start creating those images today. [Don't photograph anything with a brand name- that would be a copyright violation.]

Shellibean_on_zazzle
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 8:22:28 AM
 Zazzle Proseller

With pixabay free photos the terms are that you can use any of the free images there to make derivative works with but you can't use them in a stand alone manner; Meaning you must alter the photo to make a new artwork with it. With this site and another called Morguefile, the free images are released into the CC public domain for creatives to use to make art and you are allowed to use them without attribution as long as you don't just post them as is. Many artists use them to create digital art with, such as surreal art, taking elements from several different photos and merging them all into one via software like Gimp or Photoshop. I have also seen artists use them as models for paintings. If you want to use them as place holders you need to change them in some way, such as desaturation and cropping... but read the fine print at any stock photo supplier and/or ask before using. Usually pixabay images are safe when used according to the terms of use, but they don't vet where the donated photos come from so there could be stolen images posted there by the users and you won't know if you have one until somebody claims rights to it. Risky business! Also a lot of times the term "commercial use" does not mean you can use it for resale, it just means for your business website or blog posts. So again when in doubt don't use other people's photos at all.
Diane Schultz
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 2:16:09 PM

Thank you Susannah that was very helpful Love I appreciate the advice and help. Love the tomato graphics they are adorable.

Thank you to you too Shellibean.

It is so hard to really figure out what is ok and what is not so I am just going to stay away from all those sites from now on and just create my own.If I even bother, having all those hours of work just deleted in a blink of an eye.. many of them just text and my own work.. not even images was really disheartening. Since it was only 2 images that there was a dispute over but they deleted 2,000.. Im just not really happy about it right now.
Shellibean_on_zazzle
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 2:56:53 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Diane Schultz wrote:
Thank you Susannah that was very helpful Love I appreciate the advice and help. Love the tomato graphics they are adorable.

It is so hard to really figure out what is ok and what is not so I am just going to stay away from all those sites from now on and just create my own.If I even bother, having all those hours of work just deleted in a blink of an eye.. many of them just text and my own work.. not even images was really disheartening. Since it was only 2 images that there was a dispute over but they deleted 2,000.. Im just not really happy about it right now.

I am sorry that happened to you! we do work hard on our designs here and It must have been very disappointing for you. I hope you give it another go now that you are armed with more info and if you only use your own stuff you should be clear sailing from here. Also check out the "everything else" forum section, there is a post there by LynnRose that has a useful link to some images Zazzle released for us to use as placeholders for photo gifts. HTH!

Edit update: Can't be sure the above mentioned photos from Zazzle are ok to use either so better not to try!! Moral of the story> only use your own photos and art if you want to be 100% safe on copyrights issues!

I have done a lot of research on copyrights and trademarks and it is still confusing, in fact that water is so muddy even copyright lawyers don't seem too clear on what's going on, and it is always changing so very hard to keep up with!
LynnroseDesigns
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 11:32:39 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Diane Schultz wrote:

I feel so sad for you. Such a massive shame that everything was deleted and not just the 'problem ones' Sad
Bruno Crispin
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 2:07:02 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

When I download an image on Pixabay, I check out the profile of the photographer/artist. There are serious photographers that upload original work there, but also you have to read their terms.
Diane Schultz
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 5:02:14 PM

Thank you so much everyone. I really appreciate the feedback and support. It did make me want to give it another try. Love Thank you so much.
Shellibean_on_zazzle
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 5:14:19 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

Diane Schultz wrote:
Thank you so much everyone. I really appreciate the feedback and support. It did make me want to give it another try. Love Thank you so much.

Glad to hear you are not giving up! Onward...Grin Roses Love
DizzyDebbie
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 6:52:02 PM
 Zazzle Proseller

I emailed the photographer of the images I use as place holders, from Pixabay and asked permission to use them.