2020 Best Practices for #products to creat, plus Cat Thumbmails?
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2020 4:33:49 AM
Hi

Looking at updating my stores and I've been thinking more about our structure, product limits, and best practices.

1) With the fairly new ability for customers to transfer our designs, what are your current best practices for the # of products you create with 1 design.
- I think I should be able to cut back a bit now as I used to do things like magnets in different sizes and shapes and this looks like it’s not needed anymore with the product transfer and new search layout results. And cutting back will help
Long term with the total product limit.

For example:
- Do you create 1 of each type of clothing since if a customer searches for "cat t shirt" a sweatshirt will not show? What about different colors (like doing both red and pink for Valentines Day)?

2) What do you use for the Category
Thumbnail - a product image, a thumbnail of just the design, mixed products, real life images? What's your best idea for 2020?

*thanks for sharing Smile

Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2020 1:56:21 AM
Hello, TracyTrends. Yes, with the transfer function, I have cut back on the number of products I create with the same design. For example, recently a customer transferred a design I had on a baby's shirt and placed it on a adult woman's shirt. So that showed me that I can cut back.

For categories thumbnails, I am not decided on what to use for images. I might use text.
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2020 2:52:05 AM
The only problem with letting the transfer ability rule what you make or don't make might be best illustrated with the customer who is searching for a specific product. What if the customer is looking through blankets as a gift, but the design of a butterfly on a daisy doesn't show up in blankets? They might have bought it if they'd seen it, but because the designer didn't put it on blanket, the customer never sees it. And they wouldn't see the ability to transfer it.
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2020 4:06:57 PM
I think part of the solution would be to make the "transfer to another product" option more prominent. I know I can transfer images, so I just do searches for images, but customers don't necessarily know these things, and the current "transfer" is a tiny little blip easily missed.
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 12:18:22 PM
MARGARET CHAYKA chefcateringbizcards wrote:
I think part of the solution would be to make the "transfer to another product" option more prominent. I know I can transfer images, so I just do searches for images, but customers don't necessarily know these things, and the current "transfer" is a tiny little blip easily missed.

This still doesn't fix CW's example issue. If they want a blanket specifically, nothing would show up if you didn't have that design on a blanket. Unless I'm misunderstanding.
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2020 9:33:29 PM
I've only had transfer sales once in a blue moon, so I design products as usual. If it'll look good on the product, I put the design on that product.

Clothes have always allowed customers to move designs from one shirt style to another in the time I've been here. That's not part of the newer transfer feature. For those, I pick a selection from different clothing departments. Though people could look at an adult t-shirt and put it on a baby bodysuit, most customers don't seem to do that. Mostly I've seen moving between styles within the age department. That means I make sure I have an adult, child and baby version as a minimum. I will make things like sweatshirts if it seems like something people might want on a sweatshirt (like Christmas designs). What I don't do is attempt to create every style of shirt.

I do create more colour variations now where it makes sense for the design. The new design theme thing makes it worth doing more colours.