Zazzle Search is unforgiving
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2018 4:21:55 AM
I was doing some testing this morning trying to figure out how to tag some items when I discovered that Zazzle's search algorithm is really ODD.

If a prospective customer types in Mountain and entirely different range of products is suggested then if they type in Mountains.

Why would posters (or any other product suggestion) be dropped simply because an *S* is added to the search term?

Sorry but that confuses me.

Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2018 4:29:41 AM
I tried the same search, but I ended up with identical results for both singular and plural.
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2018 4:54:18 AM
Colorwash wrote:
I tried the same search, but I ended up with identical results for both singular and plural.

Even odder because I tried it in two different browsers before I posted about it.

Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2018 5:06:57 AM
eclecticpastime wrote:
Colorwash wrote:

Even odder because I tried it in two different browsers before I posted about it.

Just repeated it in Firefox as customer:

https://ibb.co/25d0KvV
https://ibb.co/y5CsS52
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2018 7:01:08 AM
Maybe it has to do with the keywords that the designer puts in?
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2018 8:32:58 AM
eclecticpastime wrote:
eclecticpastime wrote:
Colorwash wrote:

Just repeated it in Firefox as customer:

https://ibb.co/25d0KvV
https://ibb.co/y5CsS52

Did you look at the actual products showing up? I'm so in the habit of not bothering with the dropdown that I didn't look at it. What I saw was identical products for both searches.
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2018 9:29:43 AM
Colorwash wrote:

same here
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2018 1:44:24 PM
Zazzle does tell us to use both singular and plural tags.
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2018 1:52:05 PM
MorningGloryDesigns wrote:

I remember them saying you didn't have to, and I've seen evidence that you don't. If, for instance, you search on "dog," I bet you'll also be presented with dogs even if the designers didn't all use it as a tag.
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2018 7:49:19 PM
Colorwash wrote:
MorningGloryDesigns wrote:

I remember them saying you didn't have to, and I've seen evidence that you don't. If, for instance, you search on "dog," I bet you'll also be presented with dogs even if the designers didn't all use it as a tag.

I recall them saying the same thing.
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2018 9:01:07 PM
I've been using the singular word for tags... unless it is something like platypus and platypi or goose and geese or money and mo money. If it is cat versus cats, I use cat.

Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 3:20:15 AM
I tried and found a very good reason for the discrepancy in results in the drop down.

One of the autofill suggestions for mountain is bernese mountain dog. The existence of bernese mountain dogs will send mountain/mountains in different directions. This would apply to any word where the singular form is part of some unrelated larger phrase but the plural isn't.

I wondered if the reason only the dropdown accounted for bernese mountain dogs was because there were none on Zazzle. But there are 14,566 of them. It's not an untapped market.

My guess is that the autofill doesn't know when you're going to stop typing so it doesn't know that you won't add dog to mountain until you add that s.
If you type slowly and watch the autofill results you can see the algorithm make autofill updates. When you have just typed mo it thinks you might be going for mouse pads. When you get to mountain there is still the possibility of bernese mountain dogs. When you get all the way to mountains, that possibility is gone.

When you hit return, the algorithm no longer has to guess what you were going for with autofill and so the results are the same.
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 7:13:38 AM
keywords
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 4:06:37 PM
So we have to waste 2 of our precious keywords on plural and singular. I thought it was automatic. Sigh...
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2019 12:58:13 PM
Anotherfort wrote:
So we have to waste 2 of our precious keywords on plural and singular. I thought it was automatic. Sigh...

Shocked Say it isn't so! That's crazy. Then I guess I don't even have to ask whether "lacey" would also pick up "lace." Sad
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 6:16:50 PM
I'm pretty sure you don't have to use 2 different tags for plurals that end in s.