Zazzle Changes 2 pages: [1] 2
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 6:32:35 AM
There have been many changes on Zazzle in the few years I've had a Zazzle store. One of the changes that is very noticeable is the fact that few people post in the forums. So either many designers have left Zazzle and/or no longer post in the forums. The other thing that is very noticeable is the fact that Zazzle isn't introducing many new products and more products are discontinued or out of stock.

I know the most recent changes have been the paper breakout and a new department tree is in the works. But where is Zazzle heading?
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 6:50:10 AM
The loss of participation could be caused by any number of things, sometimes having to do with people's personal lives, sometimes losing enthusiasm for the chitchat, sometimes sensitivity to rudeness, or maybe they've added on other things to do and so have less time.

I bet there's a constant stream of lurkers, people who check what's being talked about but don't want to join in.

As for adding fewer new products, it pleases me no end. I love the simple life! Smile
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 7:02:15 AM
My life goes on with or without Zazzle, but because I have a store on Zazzle I like to be in the know about things that matters. Living the simple life has no bearing on the subject matter. Smile
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 7:16:42 AM
I agree, forum can be quiet. While we have thousands and thousands of designers, a lot of them are unaware of the forum; which is a shame as there is so much useful information and ideas shared here. We are working on that though Idea
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 7:29:00 AM
Colorwash wrote:
The loss of participation could be caused by any number of things, sometimes having to do with people's personal lives, sometimes losing enthusiasm for the chitchat, sometimes sensitivity to rudeness, or maybe they've added on other things to do and so have less time.

I bet there's a constant stream of lurkers, people who check what's being talked about but don't want to join in.

I'm lurking more now rather than posting. I have a lot going on offline so I have chosen to limit my time online. Posting in the forums is on the back burner for me. Plus I'm not into forum chit-chat. The forums for me is just about Zazzle and what I need to do for my store and/or what affects me as a designer. And what can I say about the rudeness? Nothing because I know better than anyone that I am perceived in here to be a very rude person and I have been told I am the reason some have stopped posting. *shakes head* I reckon that explains a lot of why it is quiet in here. Oh well. c'est la vie!

^^Just had to get that off of my chest.

As for new products.... I miss new products being added weekly/bi-weekly! I'm not into this paper breakout. Great for those that are!

Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 8:00:51 AM
I learn a lot from reading the forums but the occasional condescending/dismissive attitudes are a turn-off as far as posting.
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 9:05:32 AM
The forum link used to be easier to find. It was right at the bottom of the page. If not a lot of people know there is a forum, it could be because the link is not easily visible. After taking a long break I thought the forums had been closed since I couldn't find a link to it. I think I finally did a web search for Zazzle forum and found out how to access it from within Zazzle. I have noticed the forum doesn't get as much traffic as it did years ago. But I have also noticed the posts are not as aggressive and confrontational as they used to be. I appreciate that.
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 9:28:26 AM
randysgrandma wrote:
The forum link used to be easier to find. It was right at the bottom of the page. If not a lot of people know there is a forum, it could be because the link is not easily visible. After taking a long break I thought the forums had been closed since I couldn't find a link to it.

The link used to be in the upper dropdown. That is how I always came in. I wish it would return.
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 9:34:30 AM
If it weren't for the fact that I've bookmarked the forum, I'd never find it. Then again, there are lots of things I can't find. I used to have this really interesting turkey platter...
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 9:55:32 AM
As randysgrandma stated, the forum is hard to find. There should be a link on the bottom of the pages, under the Help link. I found it pretty late, more stumbled over it when I did a Google search for some Zazzle related questions I had.

It's a real shame, because the forum may be really helpful. Not only for beginners (I got many precious info and hints myself). There are a bunch of really nice designers here, helpful and often also funny, what makes it a joy to participate during the mental and/or working breaks. Plus it's great to be able to give feedback and suggestions to Zazzle's staff (what I use pretty often in the meantime, for my rants, hahaha - sorry guys), even if sometimes they (the suggestions) seem to get a one way ticket to the Bermuda Triangle attached to them (calendars... *wink*) ;-)

There may be some little skirmishes sometimes, it's the net, may happen, and more often than not it's not intentional. Till now I didn't find really harsh comments or personal attacks. In my eyes it's a pretty nice community. In regards to myself, I know well I may sometimes sound a tad arrogant or "snobbish", but that's mostly when I get into technical details due to my profession. In no way I will ever intentionally hurt or harass any forum member, unless it's for self defense (in that case I'm no diplomat at all). If I ever say something that may hurt someone, please tell me and I will apologize and/or explain me better if it was a misunderstanding. Same if I get too annoying. Constructive criticism also always welcome.

Regarding the amount of products and the frequency of new adds, I prefer a smaller, steady, quality assortment over a huge one with high fluctuation and less quality. I've noticed that there are way too many products "out of stock", this not only for short times but even for months, and often without any news. That's a huge no go in my eyes. There are designers spending a lot of time designing these products, and lots of effort (and cash) goes into promoting them. So a product and manufacturer has to be chosen carefully. A product may be temporarily out of stock of course, but the issue has to be solved in a reasonable amount of time and if it takes longer, designers and affiliates have to be informed.

These were my 2¢, which ended in an essay. As usual. My apologies.
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 10:40:12 AM
I would think new people would be paying more attention to the information on their screens, while some of us who've been here a while may overlook some things. Point being that this is on every Store's Home tab/back end:

STORE COMPLETION
100%
Congrats, your store is looking great!
Quick Links
Create a product
Forums
Blog
Help Center

My opinion is people are lurking or not coming around. I get that.

Once in a while, I try to share something that might be useful but also where I could use some brainstorming with others, and the few times I've done it, I've gotten nothing back. I posted a few weeks about Pinterest changes, and hours later, no one had responded. That's when I remembered how that goes, and I deleted it. It's just seems rare that anyone will share their 'secrets.' So.
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 11:03:25 AM
I don't view finding the forums as difficult for designers old or new. Its on the designer's store homepage under Quick Links. Its also easy to remember because "forum." precedes "zazzle.com" Designer News can also be found on that page in date order from most recent to older, and its generally (if not always) the same news that is in the News Forum and about subjects such as new products and other general info.

There are still communication gaps that can cause things to be discovered accidentally or cause a waste of time and/or money. So its not always about what is stated and already known, but what is missing or not mentioned.
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 11:09:05 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:

Once in a while, I try to share something that might be useful but also where I could use some brainstorming with others, and the few times I've done it, I've gotten nothing back. I posted a few weeks about Pinterest changes, and hours later, no one had responded. That's when I remembered how that goes, and I deleted it. It's just seems rare that anyone will share their 'secrets.' So.

Interesting. I have not found that to be the case. I think designers are very helpful and share amazing advice, (even secrets) that is how I found out about color cop which has been very useful to me.

I sometimes hesitate to reply to "how do I" questions because I am afraid of giving a wrong or incomplete answer. I don't post to the technical problems forum very often, because when I do, I am informed it is not a technical problem.

I will reply to a "how to" question if it has been there for awhile with no answer; but I always ask for someone to please chime in if I am wrong. I guess I just don't have a lot of confidence in myself when it comes to answering questions here. But I learn a lot from the answers others give.

I do wish there were more participation in the forums. It seems it is usually the same people who reply. I don't mind that really as there are some designers I feel a bond with from reading their responses and whose replies I always am eager to read. Then there are few that .... well I won't go there ...Smile
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 11:30:39 AM
I have no problems not giving info in a public forum. I have a keen sense of the tricks and tactics people use to get info for fraudulent purposes etc. No one should take this personally.
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 11:34:51 AM
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:
I would think new people would be paying more attention to the information on their screens, while some of us who've been here a while may overlook some things. Point being that this is on every Store's Home tab/back end:

STORE COMPLETION
100%
Quick Links
Create a product
Forums
Blog
Help Center

I never, not ever use the Home page tab because I'm always on a mission. Thus, I never noticed the forum link there. I wonder how many other mission-oriented people don't know the link there is. (I just looked and saw it.)

I've had occasional duds too, but unlike you, I let them die just in case they deserve it. Capital dud punishment.

Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 11:41:20 AM
The links to the forum on public pages were removed on purpose. This forum is for designers. Before moving the link to store home pages the forum sometimes got overrun with posts from customers that needed customer service help. It got especially bad during Christmas season.
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 11:52:43 AM
Maz wrote:
The links to the forum on public pages were removed on purpose. This forum is for designers. Before moving the link to store home pages the forum sometimes got overrun with posts from customers that needed customer service help. It got especially bad during Christmas season.

Yes I knew that but even if I didn't its something that would have crossed my mind, because its rational. The type of things I can't wrapped my mind around easily is when a designer(s) say they can't find the forum and its in the Quick Links at the top of the designer storefront homepage (assuming its not a glitch and really missing).
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 11:57:20 AM
Colorwash wrote:
I never, not ever use the Home page tab because I'm always on a mission. Thus, I never noticed the forum link there. I wonder how many other mission-oriented people don't know the link there is. (I just looked and saw it.)

I've had occasional duds too, but unlike you, I let them die just in case they deserve it. Capital dud punishment.

But you're in the Forums, so you see news and new product releases. Designers who don't frequent the Forums, I would think, would look at that tab, as might new people who want to see their % progress or zRank.

I'm sidebar blind - same with ads. I don't even look at sidebars on my own websites. Because they're mostly ads.
Laughing

I also don't navigate the way most people do. I have the Forums bookmarked but usually type the letter "F," and it's the first suggestion my browser gives me.

I just think if people wanted to be here, they would be.
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 12:01:25 PM
Colorwash wrote:
RoyK_is_a_She wrote:

STORE COMPLETION
100%
Quick Links
Create a product
Forums
Blog
Help Center

Funny, I only saw the link there now because you gals mentioned it and I checked in my curiosity. I guess my brain didn't rate it as important, such as most other stuff on the right side, so it just went unnoticed Grin
I must say, though, that I mostly use the homepage in public mode to check what's visible, in designer mode I only see the things and links and items I want and need to see at that specific moment.

In regards to the other topic, I got lucky till now. Guess I found the right ones to have some nice chat time while changing opinions and techniques. Less than a handful, but they're worth the time spent in here. And always worth a smile. ;-)
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 12:12:23 PM
Maz wrote:

There have been no customers in here is so long that I actually forgot all that. Even on a good day it was hard when customers came in and we couldn't help them, etc.
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 12:24:29 PM
I wonder if it would help if the forum link were on the various pages that only we designers see since we don't all enter via that home page.
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 3:28:36 PM
I come to the forum everyday but I don't have that much to say or add most of the time so I just quietly check out the posts, lol
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 3:51:26 PM
I know I have said it before but it bears repeating that text conversations are very easy to misinterpret because there is no tone of voice or facial expressions to help out and some people seem to find offense when none was intended or take something as negative that wasn't meant that way... I personally have backed off the forums a lot lately for this reason.

I do like to be helpful when I can and I never mean to be rude but I am sometimes too outspoken and like Gina I am probably considered either rude or negative or both. I do read the forums every day though because I need to know what is new or if there is something I need to opt out of or whatever...
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 4:19:00 PM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
I know I have said it before but it bears repeating that text conversations are very easy to misinterpret because there is no tone of voice or facial expressions to help out and some people seem to find offense when none was intended or take something as negative that wasn't meant that way...

I do like to be helpful when I can and I never mean to be rude but I am sometimes too outspoken and like Gina I am probably considered either rude or negative or both. I do read the forums every day though because I need to know what is new or if there is something I need to opt out of or whatever...

All of this! *thumbs up* BTW - I don't consider you rude!

(I deleted the sentence about reason for backing out of the forums since it isn't the same as mine lol)
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 7:36:59 PM
Gina ┬ęgleem wrote:
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
I know I have said it before but it bears repeating that text conversations are very easy to misinterpret because there is no tone of voice or facial expressions to help out and some people seem to find offense when none was intended or take something as negative that wasn't meant that way...

All of this! *thumbs up* BTW - I don't consider you rude!

(I deleted the sentence about reason for backing out of the forums since it isn't the same as mine lol)

Roses Smile
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2018 1:33:37 AM
SoSayU wrote:
I learn a lot from reading the forums but the occasional condescending/dismissive attitudes are a turn-off as far as posting.

Agree
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2018 3:18:29 AM
Colorwash wrote:
I wonder if it would help if the forum link were on the various pages that only we designers see since we don't all enter via that home page.

Here's my rational way of thinking: To me anyone who has a store on Zazzle should visit their storefront and be aware of what's there. Its like going through the front door of a store. Its your Zazzle store url and the first tab there - in other words the storefront homepage. So designers should be aware of what's there when signed in or out.

I also believe a lot of Zazzle's technical issues are due to Zazzle constantly making changes and also working on technical issues and glitches that may affect something else, so why request things that aren't a necessity? Zazzle should prioritize and fix the stuff that really need fixing.
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2018 3:52:26 AM
AfriCreations wrote:
Here's my rational way of thinking: To me anyone who has a store on Zazzle should visit their storefront and be aware of what's there. Its like going through the front door of a store. Its your Zazzle store url and the first tab there - in other words the storefront homepage. So designers should be aware of what's there when signed in or out.

There's more than one right way to accomplish something, and it's highly dependent on a person's goals. What's rational for one may be irrational for another.
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2018 4:53:08 AM
Colorwash wrote:
AfriCreations wrote:

There's more than one right way to accomplish something, and it's highly dependent on a person's goals. What's rational for one may be irrational for another.

True dat, and a very diplomatic way of saying itSmile
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2018 7:07:50 AM
randysgrandma wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
AfriCreations wrote:

True dat, and a very diplomatic way of saying itSmile

Designers should be familiar with their own store and what it looks like and contains. The storefront also has News, Quick Links, Blog, Help Center and Media. The points I am making is not rocket science. Smile