What's Up With So Many Products Out of Stock?
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2019 8:15:34 AM
I ordered 3 reusable shopping bags from my Zazzle store to see what they are like. The SAME DAY I ordered the bags they went out of stock. The only reason I know that is due to the fact that I was considering ordering a few more designs but the bags were already out of stock ?? Well anyway I received the bags I ordered and added a photo to media (crochet unicorn and crochet palm tree). Surprisingly I received the bags within a week so included them in my tent at the weekly market.

I am not into creating wedding paper products. So many of the type of products I design on are out of stock or when they go out of stock its for long periods of time (like more than a year). Is Zazzle becoming a site for weddings and paper? Why does Zazzle change so often (not just pertaining to out of stock) or is so inconsistent? Shocked Smile
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2019 8:46:20 AM
AfriCreations wrote:
I ordered 3 reusable shopping bags from my Zazzle store to see what they are like. The SAME DAY I ordered the bags they went out of stock. The only reason I know that is due to the fact that I was considering ordering a few more designs but the bags were already out of stock ?? Well anyway I received the bags I ordered and added a photo to media (crochet unicorn and crochet palm tree). Surprisingly I received the bags within a week so included them in my tent at the weekly market.

I am not into creating wedding paper products. So many of the type of products I design on are out of stock or when they go out of stock its for long periods of time (like more than a year). Is Zazzle becoming a site for weddings and paper? Why does Zazzle change so often (not just pertaining to out of stock) or is so inconsistent? Shocked Smile

Zazzle is weird when it comes to keeping up their stock.

I love designing on the black metal lunch box and naturally assumed the black metal lunch box would soon be on stock but NOPE ever since November 2017, when metal lunch boxes first came out, the black ones have always been out of stock. Since then the available colors are a sad story and it makes one wonder if metal lunch boxes are on their way out.

I kind of ignore zazzles stock. I try not to promote out of stock items, but even in this I have failed more than once.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2019 9:12:48 AM
Is Zazzle becoming a site for weddings and paper?

I think the answer is mostly 'yes'.

They're apparently in no hurry to bring back the apparel items that they made a decision to put "out of stock" during the biggest shopping season of the year in 2018.

I get the fact that makers will sometimes come and go, but of late it feels like something different is happening. Several of my favorite products are either "completely sold out" or discontinued. It's an increasingly shrinking set of options.

If Zazzle does become just weddings and paper, that will be the end for me. It's hard enough to be seen in their marketplace. I'm certainly not going to try to compete for a non-existent spot in their weddings and paper market.
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2019 9:44:03 AM
somethingartish wrote:
Is Zazzle becoming a site for weddings and paper?

I think the answer is mostly 'yes'.

I respectfully disagree. I'm quite sure Zazzle's big selling feature is the customization of a huge variety of products from golf towels to pillows. In my humble opinion they would totally loose their market if they were to become another Minted.

They are unique in the respect they have so much to offer.

But I do reflect the disappointment of out of stock items. Today's big email push was the water bottles being 50% off. The campaign featured a SiGG water bottle which Zazzle currently only has one color and one size available. Granted Z's sale is also for the tumblers Pexagon Tech water bottles, but the decision to feature a SIGG bottle is baffling.

Yeah, the t-shirt shortage is really ticking me off. At the very least let us migrate our designs stuck on those OOS products to shirts they carry.
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2019 12:20:59 PM
Speaking of inconsistency, when I was doing store maintenance several weeks ago I noticed that some of the products that were listed as completely sold old previously were shown as discontinued (but not consistently). In other words some products were listed as discontinued on the product page, but not in the back end where discontinued products are listed. So it doesn't look like that section is always updated or up to date.
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2019 12:47:07 PM
It starts to feel anxious after a while like maybe we are on a sinking ship. I hope I am wrong! I wonder if all the makers already bailed?
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2019 2:31:47 PM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
It starts to feel anxious after a while like maybe we are on a sinking ship. I hope I am wrong! I wonder if all the makers already bailed?

Oh Shelli, I think you are worrying over nothing. Zazzle I'm sure is doing very well. Smile
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2019 3:35:09 PM
LM Gildersleeve wrote:
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:

Oh Shelli, I think you are worrying over nothing. Zazzle I'm sure is doing very well. Smile

Obviously I hope you're right.
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2019 12:47:26 AM
Zazzle made some improvements, such as with the design tool, but Zazzle is still very unpredictable and has changed a lot in the few years I have had my Zazzle store. Whenever I find a product out of stock shown as completely sold out, I hide the product. I keep things real and don't have time to be playing guessing games. If the product is back in stock it can be unhidden or if its discontinued I delete the product.
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2019 5:16:27 AM
Side Note:
I am also considering removing the following news type video link from my website that has been there for more than a year. I am aware my post is in Everything Else forum but would like some feedback from Zazzle on this thread. I originally posted this in a Zazzle forum, but did not take the time to search for it. It still appears in Google when searching for news about Zazzle:

Zazzle Well-Positioned to Help Drive Analog-to-Digital Transformation in Textiles
http://whattheythink.com/video/89379-zazzle-well-positioned-help-drive-analog-digital-transformation-textiles/
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2019 5:02:01 PM
Due to the fact that I mentioned in my initial comment in this thread that the reusable shopping bags were completely out of stock the same day I ordered just a few, and also mentioned that I hide products that are completely sold out, I made the bags public again now that they are back in stock. I noticed also that the review button has been added, so I may do a review.

The bags are white so of the three designs I ordered the one that works best is the unicorn. The others are great also, but would be better on a black or dark bag or all over print to look more finished. Smile

Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2019 5:56:43 PM
AfriCreations wrote:
Due to the fact that I mentioned in my initial comment in this thread that the reusable shopping bags were completely out of stock the same day I ordered just a few, and also mentioned that I hide products that are completely sold out, I made the bags public again now that they are back in stock. I noticed also that the review button has been added, so I may do a review.

The bags are white so of the three designs I ordered the one that works best is the unicorn. The others are great also, but would be better on a black or dark bag or all over print to look more finished. Smile

Nice design!
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 4:17:06 AM
Re:
Zazzle Well-Positioned to Help Drive Analog-to-Digital Transformation in Textiles
http://whattheythink.com/video/89379-zazzle-well-positioned-help-drive-analog-digital-transformation-textiles/

Zazzle has less textile products (discontinued, out of stock for very long periods of time or indefinately and less new products) so does not appear to be going in the direction mentioned in this video. In fact Zazzle has been offering less and less products in general and free downloads. Where is Zazzle actually heading?
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 4:43:12 AM
What I have also noticed is products I designed that customers bought as is and even gave reviews on have been discontinued or out of stock. My Zazzle store was opened in the middle of 2014, so I noticed the trend after that. I also noticed that Zazzle is not like any other site I have known in my 23 years online, in particular in regards to changes and communication.
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 4:54:04 AM
AfriCreations wrote:
Where is Zazzle actually heading?

I sometimes wonder if Zazzle knows the answer to this.

Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 1:07:47 PM
What bothers me most are 3 things: 1. that nice products tend to go oos more often and this often at the worst times; 2. that the "temporary" oos issues may take weeks if not months to head back to normal, and the "completely" oos products may be unavailable for months or even years; and, last but not least, 3. that we designers and promoters get no feedback at all, nor estimated times, when these products may be back. Actually, the porcelain plates are still completely oos and the gel mousepads went on vacation, too. For God knows how long.

In regard to new products, there weren't really much innovative and cool adds recently, IMO. Many are begging for all over tees for an eternity, as example, but still nothing, what is a true shame and missed opportunities. I just checked the second POD I'm on and was speechless about the new cool stuff that has been added recently. I had to get on hold there for timeout issues due to slow upload connection, but now that I'll get fiber in a week, I'll put more efforts there, on all over tees, comforters, curtains, furniture and other really nice stuff that suits my works and customer base perfectly and that I badly miss on Z. I would prefer to stay only on Zazzle, though, due to the great customization and tools, what make Zazzle really unique, but, in all honesty, things are taking the wrong path. Not to mention the lack of an appealing storefront and accurate, great looking mockups, what makes it hard to promote, to compete with others and to excite possible customers. Too sad.

Just my 2c. Not sayin' I don't like Z, au contraire, IMO it's still the best POD place overall and offers by far the most advanced possibilities for designers, but sometimes I feel lost, unheard and annoyed, when even basic things don't work as they should.
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2019 3:38:27 AM
Think its just a matter of them obtaining the correct mix for consumer trends and lean management. Some stuff is seasonal and some stuff just ends up being trends. Wouldnt want a warehouse filled with stuff thats not going to sell for 10 months.

Paper, glassware, t-shirts, and a few products are anytime item with seasonal rush.

Some items were just new item hype. After the batch was used up, never reorder.

Everyone involved takes a risk. I'm not gamblers but do try to understand.

Zazzle buys blank and expends manhours on the set up. (And invest in some of the R&D)

Designers has manhours, paid services, and .. so on

Promoters has manhours. The better ones even to pay for their website.

Makers do all the above.

This community has many moving parts but as they say "No risk, no reward." I'm glad I'm not taking all the risk. Pretty sure Zazzle isnt going anywhere, but if they did go down I still own my image.