Wacom Drawing Tablet 3 pages: 1 2 [3]
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2020 1:58:00 PM
randysgrandma wrote:
My old tablet had an optional mouse that I could use instead of the pen, this one doesn't and I must say, I don't like that. I am used to using the mouse to navigate and the pen for detail work. The mouse does not work on the new tablet. Neither does the old pen stylus.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you? but you ought to be able to use any mouse you want and the pen. They are both basically just plug & play input devices. I've had numerous wireless mice over the years (the kind with a little receptor that you plug into a USB port) and they've all worked at the same time as my Wacom tablet (which also plugs into a USB port but is corded). When I have my tablet plugged in, I can use the pen or the mouse and as you said it is an ideal situation - I use the pen in my left hand and the mouse in my right - my computer responds to input from either one of them. When I use the mouse in my right I just point the pen in my left away from the tablet.
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2020 2:35:55 PM
Col's Creations© wrote:
randysgrandma wrote:
My old tablet had an optional mouse that I could use instead of the pen, this one doesn't and I must say, I don't like that. I am used to using the mouse to navigate and the pen for detail work. The mouse does not work on the new tablet. Neither does the old pen stylus.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you? but you ought to be able to use any mouse you want and the pen. They are both basically just plug & play input devices. I've had numerous wireless mice over the years (the kind with a little receptor that you plug into a USB port) and they've all worked at the same time as my Wacom tablet (which also plugs into a USB port but is corded). When I have my tablet plugged in, I can use the pen or the mouse and as you said it is an ideal situation - I use the pen in my left hand and the mouse in my right - my computer responds to input from either one of them. When I use the mouse in my right I just point the pen in my left away from the tablet.


To help clarify the confusion:
(Purchased my first Wacom in 1994, been a Wacom user ever since)
I am still using an ageing Intuos3(purchased in 2008) (6x8) that came with a Wacom mouse. The mouse works on the Wacom tablet. It is not a normal mouse. It is still working Wacom mouse. It has left and right and scroll buttons. I never use it. I use my stylus for everything. My tablet is tethered but the Wacom mouse is wireless.
My stylus and mouse only work with the tablet they came with.
Further:
I also have a Bamboo (small tablet) that I use with my Mac laptop. Same thing, the stylus that came with the Bamboo only works with the Bamboo HTH
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2020 3:01:29 PM
That is correct bequiet. The mouse only works by using the tablet as a sort of mousepad. I didn't use it for a long time. Then one day my daughter was using my computer and asked if I had a mouse. The only one I had was the one that goes with my drawing tablet. I got it out for her. She told me I should get used to using it to navigate instead of my touchpad since it has not been behaving well anyway. So I started using the mouse. I have never been able to get the hang of using the pen for simply moving around and navigating.
The pen I had for the old tablet, doesn't work on the new one. I like it better because it is a little chunkier and I have arthritis. So it's easier to hang onto.
For now, I have the old tablet plugged in too. I didn't know if it would work along with the new one, but it does. So I still can use the mouse to navigate and the new tablet for working. It is a good solution for now. Until I decide if I really like the new tablet. So far, I really think I like the old, (really old) one better.
May just be I need to use the new one enough to get used to it.
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2020 4:25:40 PM
A lot probably rides on the kind of space surrounding you. If it's limited space, having a dedicated mouse makes sense.
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2020 5:14:43 PM
bequiet wrote:
To help clarify the confusion:
I am still using an ageing Intuos3 ... that came with a Wacom mouse. The mouse works on the Wacom tablet. It is not a normal mouse ... My tablet is tethered but the Wacom mouse is wireless ... My stylus and mouse only work with the tablet they came with.

randysgrandma wrote:
That is correct bequiet. The mouse only works by using the tablet as a sort of mousepad.
For now, I have the old tablet plugged in too. I didn't know if it would work along with the new one, but it does. So I still can use the mouse to navigate and the new tablet for working. It is a good solution for now.

What I was trying to say was that you are not restricted to using the mouse that came with your pen tablet. You can have the tablet connected to one USB port to make use of the pen while having an independent mouse connected to a different USB port. Just like RandysGrandma has two different tablets connected & in use at the same time, you can use a tablet & a regular unrelated mouse the same way. They are just USB input devices. You can keep them both connected and the computer will respond to whichever you are moving.
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2020 5:29:27 AM
That is true Col's creations, but I don't happen to have a seperate mouse at this time. Plan to get one, but depending on the price, I just might make do with the way I have it set up now. I do a lot of that "making do" stuff.
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2020 8:02:45 AM
randysgrandma wrote:
That is true Col's creations, but I don't happen to have a seperate mouse at this time. Plan to get one, but depending on the price, I just might make do with the way I have it set up now. I do a lot of that "making do" stuff.

If you have a Staples nearby, I've found that their own brand of wired and wireless mice is excellent and not at all expensive.
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2020 12:49:32 PM
Karen Coffelt wrote:
I've been wanting to get a drawing tablet, and that Huion sounds like a really good one. So which one are you guys talking about? There seem to be quite a few listed on Amazon, and I'm a bit lost. I've never used one so I don't know what I'm looking for.

One of the things I look for is that it does not need batteries because some of the pens do. I was thinking about getting the Huion 420, that's their low end model but it has some good reviews. The drawing area is very tiny which I'm not that thrilled about so I'm still looking around.

The new tablets don't come with mice(mouses?) anymore. I only use the pen for graphics. My graphire mouse broke and I now use a wireless mouse but I have to move the mousepad on and off the tablet whenever I switch between the two so a tablet mouse was quite convenient to have.
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2020 5:04:42 PM
I use my tablet pen AS a mouse as well. If I remember correctly, it just takes a little bit of configuration to get it to work like that. That could be dependent on the exact model though.
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2020 5:41:28 PM
I had a Lenovo Yoga Book with a drawing tablet built in. But a few months later the battery blew up, and the touch screen keyboard cracked. Good bye $$$.
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2020 8:34:30 PM
I'm currently using Wacom Intuos Art Medium but I've been hearing good things about Huion.

While researching, I came across Tablets for Artists (https://www.tabletsforartists.com/) which has detailed reviews. They even do drawing tests (website screenshot below):



Hope this could be helpful.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.
Print this topic
RSS Feed
Normal
Threaded