Today's gadget rant
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 7:46:29 AM
Due to changes made in my TV system (got a DVR), I ended up yesterday with a new universal remote from the cable company. Have any of you tried to program a new remote and ended up wanting to kill someone?
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 7:50:27 AM
Yes, especially when its not even for me. Had to do it for my FIL and if I didn't do it, it just wasn't going to get done. Before it was all said and done I had a headache and would have preferred putting together some IKEA furniture without the instructions than do that all over again.
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 7:58:33 AM
yes, for my mom and on top of learning how to program it I had to try (unsuccessfully) to teach her how to use it...

she finally figured out how to turn the tv on, adjust the volume and change the channels... but she used the buttons on the front of the DVD player instead.

we finally gave up and got her a ROKU tv that has a simple remote!

problem solved because she was about to drive me up a tree calling everyday for tech support on her tv remote. Laughing

Adding: we are both cranky old women just different ages... so you can imagine how that went.
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 8:53:49 AM
Nicole, I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in this world. Putting together furniture would be nice right about now.

Shelli, I'm a cranky old lady with a cranky old husband. At one point yesterday while he was trying his hand at it and I was complaining vociferously, he told me to go somewhere ELSE, which I did, grumbling and grouching all the way. Being forgetful, we forgot we were mad at each other within moments.
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 9:23:14 AM
I hate having to deal with new electronic stuff. That is why I still can't get text messages on my phone. I can send them, but not receive them.
I lost that ability about a year ago.
Spectrum kept me on the phone for an hour and couldn't solve it. Sent me to LG the maker of my phone. Same there, couldn't help me. I kept telling them it happened after an google app upgrade. Did I mention I hate upgrades too? All they do is mess up what was previously working just fine.
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 9:46:46 AM
Don't EVEN get me started! My opinion is that "gadgets" were created with the specific purpose of torturing people like me. My boyfriend got me a new bike light for Christmas, and the thing is so complicated that I can hardly use it. Seriously, it's a bike light, how complicated could it possibly be?!?!? But it's got all of these stupid "modes" and if you don't get the double secret code right in terms of how long you push the on/off button and how many times, you get stuck in the wrong mode and you're doomed. I think he spent like $100 dollars on the stupid thing, and honestly, I was happier with the cheap one I got at the dollar store! At least I could figure out how to turn that one off and on!
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 10:09:52 AM
ZingerBug, your bike light reminds me of my new heating pad. Temperatures, timers, an on light that never turns off, and an LCD that can't be seen unless a light is on in the room. I was awake at 3 a.m. last night trying to get the thing turned on and eventually its little light started doing blinking. I was forced to turn on the bed lamp, whereupon I saw it was giving me an error code. I unplugged the sucker, plugged it back in, entered my settings, turned off the lamp, then lay there for a good hour trying to relax enough to go back to sleep. What's wrong with a three-position switch that goes click-click-click and that has a light to tell you the pad is on?

Good news: Yesterday, when I was about to turn in my old universal remote (best I've ever seen with large buttons and not too many of them), I asked them in the Spectrum store what they do with old remotes like mine that, according them, couldn't operate my new DVR. They throw them out. So I said I'd keep it just in case. A little while ago, I fiddled with it. Spectrum was dead wrong. I can control the DVR with it. The new remote is now safely stashed in a drawer. Like Adobe, it can go to hell.
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 5:16:02 PM
Ha! That'll teach you to believe the so-called experts! So glad you were able to make the old remote work.

OK... I just have to add a little tidbit to this conversation. So we went for a bike ride today. It was sunny but chilly - mid 40s or thereabouts. Anyhow our route took us through a tunnel, and since we were going from blazing sun into the dark it was hard to see. So we enter the tunnel, and we're both fumbling with these stupid lights trying to turn them on (he bought the same one for himself as he did for me.) Suddenly I hear a loud crash and look up to see my boyfriend and his bike in a heap on the ground!

I finally got the *ed light turned on and saw that the ceiling of the tunnel was dripping and had formed a maze of ice stalagmites all over the floor, which, of course, we couldn't see, because neither of us could get the stupid lights to turn on! Thankfully he didn't do any real damage, but I'm not sure which of us is more pain at the moment - him from scraping up his knee, or me from biting my tongue to keep from making a snarky comment about the lights! Gah! Stick out tongue Stick out tongue Stick out tongue
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 7:17:55 PM
And is he laughing about his crash landing as yet? And is your tongue bleeding yet? And does he know you've told a portion of the world?
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 9:08:27 AM
Colorwash wrote:
And is he laughing about his crash landing as yet? And is your tongue bleeding yet? And does he know you've told a portion of the world?
Ummm… I think that would be a negative on all three counts! Men! As the song goes "You can't live with 'em and you just can't shoot 'em!"
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 12:29:50 PM
Rebecca @ ZingerBug wrote:
Colorwash wrote:
Ummm… I think that would be a negative on all three counts! Men! As the song goes "You can't live with 'em and you just can't shoot 'em!"

Poor fellow. His heart is in the right place but his taste in bike lights isn't.