This will never sell in a billion years..but it did. 4 pages: [1] 2 3 4
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2017 8:47:18 AM
You are one in a million. That means there are approximately 10,000 people out there exactly like you. Have you ever posted a design that you really thought wasn't worth the effort, or you had second thoughts about, that ended up selling quite well? Let's see some of that!
Here is my personal fave..



What you got??
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2017 9:15:07 AM
I see that it is indeed a photo of popcorn, but the button looks more like an oatmeal cookie at first glance.
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2017 10:33:56 AM
That's what I thought when I first looked at it: oatmeal cookie.

I tried looking to see if I had anything I'd had an equal lack of confidence in, but I gave up because sold stats look like things were tossed in the air and allowed to land in a jumble. I must have a misfit in there somewhere.
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2017 2:29:11 PM
Jerry Lambert wrote:
I see that it is indeed a photo of popcorn, but the button looks more like an oatmeal cookie at first glance.


mmmmmmoatmealcookiesmmmmm oh I like popcorn too! Grin
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2017 2:32:24 PM
Here's one that surprised me, it sold this poster and a sports bra and just this week some post earrings with the same design sold



Oh and look at my cool title render here... Why can't links render special characters like quotes and ampersands?
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2017 6:16:08 PM
Sold 2 of these to the same person and they were customized.
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2017 6:25:21 PM
this was a request from a fellow designer. they said "do a manatee wearing a laurel and I'll buy it."I was surprised that they actually bought it. gotta love the design community

Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2017 7:13:00 PM
Softproduct wrote:
Have you ever posted a design that you really thought wasn't worth the effort, or you had second thoughts about, that ended up selling quite well?

Thinking something "wasn't worth the effort" and having "second thoughts" describes just about every product I post. There's a lot that never sees the light of day. But if I had to nominate one for a "Really?" award, I'd pick this:



It's only sold once, but I don't get sales anymore, much less repeat sales, so I'm counting it.

ETA: And believe it or not, this started life as a photo of my own eyeball. Obviously it's been heavily modified, but it's still a real piece of me staring back at you from the screen.
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 3:55:52 AM
I originally took this picture doing some sort of experiment with my camera. Very late one night when I was sick and fed up with Zazzling, I made this clock as sort of an "oh screw it" proclamation to myself. So far 19 customers with exquisite taste have bought it. Laughing
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 4:06:30 AM
One of my earliest designs and my most ordered item.


Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 1:31:52 PM
I am enjoying this thread! Grin

here is another shocker for me... a leftover from my QC days that slipped through the cracks and I would have deleted if I had remembered I made it. When I saw that it sold I just knew it would be a cancellation as soon as the customer saw it, heck they didn't even customize it but amazingly the sale went through and I got paid for it. Just shows you can't tell what people are going to buy.



Edit: I have since made a better version with a clock face and the design centered better, but I left this one up just because... I bet the better one never sells.
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 7:31:46 PM
Here's a pair that I can't figure out:



I stopped offering cufflinks a long time ago, because they seem like a really antiquated product to me, and jewelry items are generally non-sellers for me as a rule. These two are the exception to the rule. But why? I've never owned the kind of shirt that uses cufflinks. I doubt that I ever will. So what about these two items is attractive to the people who do? It's not like this design style has ever been a big seller for me on other items, either. Yet these still get views fairly regularly. Weird.
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 10:44:17 PM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Here's one that surprised me, it sold this poster and a sports bra and just this week some post earrings with the same design sold



Oh and look at my cool title render here... Why can't links render special characters like quotes and ampersands?


I actually like this poster
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 4:15:41 AM
I sold one of these. I created it as a joke. It made me giggle that there is someone else out there that appreciates my bad, bad pun.



Also...

Jerry Lambert wrote:
this was a request from a fellow designer. they said "do a manatee wearing a laurel and I'll buy it."I was surprised that they actually bought it. gotta love the design community


This is amazing! XD
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 6:11:23 AM
pigswing wrote:
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Here's one that surprised me, it sold this poster and a sports bra and just this week some post earrings with the same design sold



Oh and look at my cool title render here... Why can't links render special characters like quotes and ampersands?


I actually like this poster

Me, too. The simple expression of a sometimes complex emotion that is hard to put into words, hence: Meh.

Really wish I could draw. Most of the time I don't have enough eye/hand coordination or motor control for anything but jagged scribbling.
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 6:13:58 AM
jdspenguins wrote:
Sold 2 of these to the same person and they were customized.

I can see this working for a costume. Very bold.
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 10:06:49 AM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:
Here's a pair that I can't figure out:



I stopped offering cufflinks a long time ago, because they seem like a really antiquated product to me, and jewelry items are generally non-sellers for me as a rule. These two are the exception to the rule. But why? I've never owned the kind of shirt that uses cufflinks. I doubt that I ever will. So what about these two items is attractive to the people who do? It's not like this design style has ever been a big seller for me on other items, either. Yet these still get views fairly regularly. Weird.


Teal and coral are the two trendiest colors of all time and I bet that has a lot to do with it plus they have a kind of southwestern Native American flavor.

Thanks for the compliment on my meh cat! your drawing sounds like my handwriting... Laughing
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 10:08:06 AM
pigswing wrote:
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Here's one that surprised me, it sold this poster and a sports bra and just this week some post earrings with the same design sold



Oh and look at my cool title render here... Why can't links render special characters like quotes and ampersands?


I actually like this poster

Aw! well thanks! I do too but I didn't think anyone else would...
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 10:09:58 AM
Tanya wrote:
I sold one of these. I created it as a joke. It made me giggle that there is someone else out there that appreciates my bad, bad pun.



Also...

Jerry Lambert wrote:
this was a request from a fellow designer. they said "do a manatee wearing a laurel and I'll buy it."I was surprised that they actually bought it. gotta love the design community


This is amazing! XD


sloths are also super trendy! and yours are really cute!
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 10:34:35 AM
Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:
Here's a pair that I can't figure out:



I stopped offering cufflinks a long time ago, because they seem like a really antiquated product to me, and jewelry items are generally non-sellers for me as a rule. These two are the exception to the rule. But why? I've never owned the kind of shirt that uses cufflinks. I doubt that I ever will. So what about these two items is attractive to the people who do? It's not like this design style has ever been a big seller for me on other items, either. Yet these still get views fairly regularly. Weird.


Teal and coral are the two trendiest colors of all time and I bet that has a lot to do with it plus they have a kind of southwestern Native American flavor.

That must be it. I do actually still have a few other cufflinks as it turns out, including others in this design but different colors - those have never sold.

Shelli Fitzpatrick wrote:
Thanks for the compliment on my meh cat! your drawing sounds like my handwriting... Laughing

My drawing and handwriting can be hard to distinguish from each other. Laughing
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 11:11:41 AM
How about these ugly colored things. Laughing







Granted these haven't sold since 2012. The only reason I keep them is because of the rank thing. Gawd they are butt ugly.

ETA, I like Fuzzy's cuflinks, the clock and leggings though. Smile
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 11:24:57 AM


This awkward looking thing was one of my biggest sellers early on...Laughing
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 12:05:27 PM
I assume the buyers are graphic designers.

Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 10:11:32 PM
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 3:40:51 AM
Anotherfort wrote:
I assume the buyers are graphic designers.


Being aware of the long-standing disgust with the font, I instantly thought, "Great idea for a card!" My next thought was, "No one I know personally would understand it." So I bet you're right, that the customers must be graphic designers.
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 3:55:00 AM
Overall, this is probably not a bad design, but the question is: Who goes through the trouble of pickling and preserving beets these days? Apparently, there are those who do it.


I should take a stab at other such things. Pickled eggs maybe?

Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 4:08:38 AM
Laughing Colorwash you are not going to believe this, but we in New England do. In fact, yesterday I was at a farm stand and they were selling pickled beets. *wink*

At this point I'd love to sell my ugliest designed products. Sad
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 5:17:51 AM
I love pickled beets, but I've always made them quickly using a can of sliced beets that I soak in whatever pickling solution strikes my fancy at the time, then let it sit for a few hours in the fridge.

I inspired my own self and just now completed a label for pickled eggs. Someone with a home bar and preserved eggs may grab them. You never know.
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 10:48:02 AM
What about pickled pickles? Radical, I know. Laughing
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 11:35:21 AM
Urban gardening and farming is huge, so I'm not surprised that there are people that can foods and all that.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.
Print this topic
RSS Feed
Normal
Threaded