The trouble with Pinterest board sections
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 9:25:14 AM
I created a new board today, dividing it up into 3 sections. I was going merrily along until I stopped to check, selecting one of the sections. I discovered there's no way to go from a section back up to the main board. This means visitors will get stuck there and decide to move on elsewhere rather than looking at your other related sections.

Or am I missing something?
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 10:08:11 AM
If you click the title at the top it will take you to the main board.
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 10:33:37 AM
Oh for crying out loud. It's gray, so I assumed it was a dead door nail. Thank you!
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 3:39:19 AM
Clicking on the title at the top doesn’t work on an iPad. Studying the screen carefully, I discovered a light gray X at top left. Clicking that brings you back to the overall board.
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 5:22:43 AM
Hmmmm.... it works on my iPad. I’m using it now. It may depend on what iOS or browser you are using.
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 6:29:12 AM
MelroseOriginals wrote:
Hmmmm.... it works on my iPad. I’m using it now. It may depend on what iOS or browser you are using.

When I discovered it, I think I was using Safari. Just a minute, I'll see if there's a difference between Safari and Firefox... No difference. In both, the gray board title is a dead link, but there's that 'x' up there serving no purpose other than to go back to the board.
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 6:50:25 AM
Weird. I’m on the iPad 10.5 pro and pages display like a laptop more than a tablet so maybe that is why. Unless you are on the same one or similar. I tried it on the Pinterest app and in Safari. And I don’t have the X. I have no ideaIdea
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 8:36:03 AM
That's it. I have the newest plain-vanilla iPad. That's okay. At least I figured out how to navigate through my stuff.
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 9:10:58 AM
Colorwash wrote:
Oh for crying out loud. It's gray, so I assumed it was a dead door nail. Thank you!

This is a trend online that's making me nuts. Something being grayed out for the longest time designated it as inactive/inapplicable.

Now someone has decided to ignore longstanding convention, in the name of being stylish. It's like no one can be bothered to learn about the visual cues that people understand, with the goal of better serving their customers. I realize I'm old and things change, but this is just stupid.

The death of gray text and gray buttons cannot come soon enough for me.
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 11:35:24 AM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:
The death of gray text and gray buttons cannot come soon enough for me.

Yes, indeed!
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 11:53:50 AM
How do sections even work in Pinterest? They're 'help' section on the topic leaves a lot to be desired. I can't even figure out how to add things to a section.

Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 12:00:52 PM
Go into your board that you want to divide into sections or add sections to. Click the '+' sign at top left. (It would be nice if they had little help tags for such things.) Once you've done this, you can deal with the newly created section just as you might any of the boards.

How I did it, being as clueless as the next person, was to create a private board and play around with it until I understood what I was doing. You can do that, and you'll probably learn more than you might via Pinterest's supposed helpfulness.
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 12:11:41 PM
Colorwash wrote:
Go into your board that you want to divide into sections or add sections to. Click the '+' sign at top left. (It would be nice if they had little help tags for such things.) Once you've done this, you can deal with the newly created section just as you might any of the boards.

How I did it, being as clueless as the next person, was to create a private board and play around with it until I understood what I was doing. You can do that, and you'll probably learn more than you might via Pinterest's supposed helpfulness.

Still stumped. Both a step-by-step tutorial I looked at, and Pinterest's own help section talk about things I don't see.

ETA: OK, nevermind - figured out that I need to drag things to the section.
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 12:21:54 PM
Next question, can you reoganize things within a section? When I try to do that, whatever I click on disappears temporarily. Nothing changes position within the board.

Looks like moving things into sections also loses all the stats that appeared with them in the board.

For something rolled out a couple of years ago, it sure doesn't seem ready for primetime.

ETA: Ok, got that sorted. Doesn't work the same way as in the board. Inconsistency is the bane of my existence.

ETA Again: Gah! Worked once, and now it's doing the thing again where the item I'm trying to move just disappears.
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 12:39:40 PM
Are you trying to drag pins from the main board to a sub-section? If so, I haven't tried that, using the 'move' method on a menu, wherever it is. Can't remember. If, on the other hand, you're trying to organize, I've found that clicking on the grid layout where all pins are the same size, then clicking Organize works very well.

Keep at it. You'll get it, and once it's all set up, you can stop all the folderol and just start pinning stuff.
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 8:28:55 PM
Colorwash wrote:
Are you trying to drag pins from the main board to a sub-section? If so, I haven't tried that, using the 'move' method on a menu, wherever it is.

For adding things to a section, I figured out that I need to click Organize, select the pins, and then hover over the section to reveal the move button. They must have changed it from when the originally wrote their instructions, and after the tutorial I was reading was created.

So that at least was working.

Colorwash wrote:
If, on the other hand, you're trying to organize, I've found that clicking on the grid layout where all pins are the same size, then clicking Organize works very well.

Organizing worked, and then it didn't. I gave up when I couldn't move anything on the board, nor in the section. But I see in another thread that people have been encountering problems with organizing, too.

I did try both layouts, no difference. Going to head back over there in a bit to see if it has started behaving again.
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 2:58:37 AM
Once upon a time, Pinterest was easy to use. These days, they have too much enthusiasm for being different or special or whatever they deem cutting edge. It breaks things. Have you noticed they automatically put the title in the description box, leaving the title box blank?
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 6:08:02 AM
Colorwash wrote:
Once upon a time, Pinterest was easy to use. These days, they have too much enthusiasm for being different or special or whatever they deem cutting edge. It breaks things. Have you noticed they automatically put the title in the description box, leaving the title box blank?

yes, this is becoming quite an epidemic in the online world... too many changes and bugs and glitches.. it makes you tired!
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 7:36:12 AM
Whatever happened to the old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

The saying suddenly reminded me of years ago: My mother was constantly changing around the furniture in the living room. My father loved coming home from a long day and stretching out on the couch with the newspaper, but he claimed he never knew where the couch would be. He said he was a hobo in his own living room, always looking for a place to rest his weary bones.

That's what it's like these days, all of us getting used to where things are, and then they're moved or changed or even eliminated. It's hard to find the couch.
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 9:36:28 AM
It seems the trick is to add things, let them 'rest', and then organize. If I try to organize things immediately after adding them to a section, it doesn't work. If I come back later, it does.
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 10:10:57 AM
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:
It seems the trick is to add things, let them 'rest', and then organize. If I try to organize things immediately after adding them to a section, it doesn't work. If I come back later, it does.

Odd. I just so happen to have Pinterest open right now, and I also just so happen to have added something. To test what's happening to you, I clicked "Organize," moved the new pin over a few slots, then clicked "Done." It remained in its new position. Did your gremlin get out of its cage?
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 6:58:19 PM
Colorwash wrote:
Fuzzy Felosarix wrote:

Odd. I just so happen to have Pinterest open right now, and I also just so happen to have added something. To test what's happening to you, I clicked "Organize," moved the new pin over a few slots, then clicked "Done." It remained in its new position. Did your gremlin get out of its cage?

Could be something to do with the fact that I'm moving large amounts of stuff into sections. Maybe it needs time to catch up.